• Birthdays
    • General Moore (45)

OMG...they get in that stinking creek?

mike87
Posts: 141
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:55 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 52 times
Been thanked: 87 times

Re: OMG...they get in that stinking creek?

Unread post by mike87 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:24 am

Winning. Dang Rek beat me to it.



User avatar
Gonzo
Posts: 4605
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:11 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 442 times
Been thanked: 1588 times

Re: OMG...they get in that stinking creek?

Unread post by Gonzo » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:34 am

StorminASU wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:20 am
Gonzo wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:47 am
The saddest thing of all is that this is the only “tradition” Georgia Southern has that isn’t obviously stolen from another program.
Not to derail the Stink hate, which I love and live for during FB season, but what would you say our unique traditions (not from other schools) are?
Team run to the peak of Howard’s Knob. Cotton Eyed Joe. Duck Pond jumping.

The TIGMA sign, Mountaineer Walk, and “App-State” chant are somewhat borrowed, but our application is far more App-specific than the Stink stealing Alabama’s exact uniforms and yellow school buses borrowed from several schools.



Black Saturday
Posts: 8833
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2002 11:22 am
School: Appalachian State
Location: 910
Has thanked: 306 times
Been thanked: 253 times

Re: OMG...they get in that stinking creek?

Unread post by Black Saturday » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:46 am

Gonzo wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:47 am
The saddest thing of all is that this is the only “tradition” Georgia Southern has that isn’t obviously stolen from another program.
Thank God no other program has stolen the Eagle Sewer tradition, very positive no other program is dumb enough to jump in something that unsanitary.


BLACK SATURDAY

Rick83
Posts: 1743
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:00 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 978 times
Been thanked: 871 times

Re: OMG...they get in that stinking creek?

Unread post by Rick83 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:49 am

Our best football tradition is that we win...especially at The Rock.



User avatar
scatman77
Posts: 803
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:38 am
Location: York, SC
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 404 times

Re: OMG...they get in that stinking creek?

Unread post by scatman77 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:02 am

Black Saturday wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:46 am
Gonzo wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:47 am
The saddest thing of all is that this is the only “tradition” Georgia Southern has that isn’t obviously stolen from another program.
Thank God no other program has stolen the Eagle Sewer tradition, very positive no other program is dumb enough to jump in something that unsanitary.
No one from football ever EVER jumped into Kraut Creek at no time of year. I can't speak for those who returned from BR at 1:30 in the morning.


Appalachian American by birth; Mountaineer by the Grace of God!

User avatar
hapapp
Posts: 14313
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2000 12:48 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Rocky Mount, VA
Has thanked: 1359 times
Been thanked: 1282 times

Re: OMG...they get in that stinking creek?

Unread post by hapapp » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:46 am

Gonzo wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:34 am
StorminASU wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:20 am
Gonzo wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:47 am
The saddest thing of all is that this is the only “tradition” Georgia Southern has that isn’t obviously stolen from another program.
Not to derail the Stink hate, which I love and live for during FB season, but what would you say our unique traditions (not from other schools) are?
Team run to the peak of Howard’s Knob. Cotton Eyed Joe. Duck Pond jumping.

The TIGMA sign, Mountaineer Walk, and “App-State” chant are somewhat borrowed, but our application is far more App-specific than the Stink stealing Alabama’s exact uniforms and yellow school buses borrowed from several schools.
Actually, I don't think they did Howard's Knob this year. I believe they went out to Appalachian Ski Mtn and ran.



User avatar
beav910
Posts: 251
Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:13 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 43 times
Been thanked: 66 times

Re: OMG...they get in that stinking creek?

Unread post by beav910 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:59 am

hapapp wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:46 am
Gonzo wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:34 am
StorminASU wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:20 am
Gonzo wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:47 am
The saddest thing of all is that this is the only “tradition” Georgia Southern has that isn’t obviously stolen from another program.
Not to derail the Stink hate, which I love and live for during FB season, but what would you say our unique traditions (not from other schools) are?
Team run to the peak of Howard’s Knob. Cotton Eyed Joe. Duck Pond jumping.

The TIGMA sign, Mountaineer Walk, and “App-State” chant are somewhat borrowed, but our application is far more App-specific than the Stink stealing Alabama’s exact uniforms and yellow school buses borrowed from several schools.
Actually, I don't think they did Howard's Knob this year. I believe they went out to Appalachian Ski Mtn and ran.
I can’t find the tweet but I wanna say they did both. Drink posted a photo from the top of Howard’s Knob that has a view of the stadium and it’s my phone background now haha.


Appalachian State Alumnus :: Graphic Designer

Apptrain
Posts: 236
Joined: Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:59 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 86 times

Re: OMG...they get in that stinking creek?

Unread post by Apptrain » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:41 am

THAT explains a lot.



User avatar
BeauFoster
Posts: 4980
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:42 am
School: Appalachian State
Location: In a cubicle
Has thanked: 294 times
Been thanked: 295 times

Re: OMG...they get in that stinking creek?

Unread post by BeauFoster » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:22 pm

One great tradition that originated at App is Bugler's Dream at kickoff, with the point (probably borrowed) and whatever your chosen phrase to yell at the kick. That combination is 100% App State, from what I can tell.


Give 'em hell!

Black Saturday
Posts: 8833
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2002 11:22 am
School: Appalachian State
Location: 910
Has thanked: 306 times
Been thanked: 253 times

Re: OMG...they get in that stinking creek?

Unread post by Black Saturday » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:30 pm

BeauFoster wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:22 pm
One great tradition that originated at App is Bugler's Dream at kickoff, with the point (probably borrowed) and whatever your chosen phrase to yell at the kick. That combination is 100% App State, from what I can tell.
You have the band chant on your screen. Has the "Give 'em Hell" gone by the way side to the PC crowd? Thought it was impressive as a freshmen many, many falls ago, and enjoyed it for many years long after. If they gave in, I hate to see it.


BLACK SATURDAY

User avatar
yosef13
Posts: 491
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:13 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 260 times

Re: OMG...they get in that stinking creek?

Unread post by yosef13 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:50 pm

Black Saturday wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:30 pm
BeauFoster wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:22 pm
One great tradition that originated at App is Bugler's Dream at kickoff, with the point (probably borrowed) and whatever your chosen phrase to yell at the kick. That combination is 100% App State, from what I can tell.
You have the band chant on your screen. Has the "Give 'em Hell" gone by the way side to the PC crowd? Thought it was impressive as a freshmen many, many falls ago, and enjoyed it for many years long after. If they gave in, I hate to see it.
I think something else is being yelled these days. Makes "give'em hell" sound pretty tame.



User avatar
VNova
Posts: 177
Joined: Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:39 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: San Diego
Has thanked: 63 times
Been thanked: 56 times

Re: OMG...they get in that stinking creek?

Unread post by VNova » Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:01 pm

yosef13 wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:50 pm
Black Saturday wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:30 pm
BeauFoster wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:22 pm
One great tradition that originated at App is Bugler's Dream at kickoff, with the point (probably borrowed) and whatever your chosen phrase to yell at the kick. That combination is 100% App State, from what I can tell.
You have the band chant on your screen. Has the "Give 'em Hell" gone by the way side to the PC crowd? Thought it was impressive as a freshmen many, many falls ago, and enjoyed it for many years long after. If they gave in, I hate to see it.
I think something else is being yelled these days. Makes "give'em hell" sound pretty tame.
When I was there ('10-'14), the phrase being yelled was more vulgar than "Give 'em hell". I'm not sure if it's still the same or if it's changed.



User avatar
T-Dog
Posts: 5309
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:35 pm
Location: Boone, NC
Has thanked: 67 times
Been thanked: 1299 times

Re: OMG...they get in that stinking creek?

Unread post by T-Dog » Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:02 pm

Did anyone do Hells Bells on third down before App in 2004?



User avatar
VNova
Posts: 177
Joined: Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:39 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: San Diego
Has thanked: 63 times
Been thanked: 56 times

Re: OMG...they get in that stinking creek?

Unread post by VNova » Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:08 pm

T-Dog wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:02 pm
Did anyone do Hells Bells on third down before App in 2004?
Ohio State was using it around that same time we were and the NFL definitely was using it before we used it. It's a pretty common one across all sports dating back to the 90's.



Black Saturday
Posts: 8833
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2002 11:22 am
School: Appalachian State
Location: 910
Has thanked: 306 times
Been thanked: 253 times

Re: OMG...they get in that stinking creek?

Unread post by Black Saturday » Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:24 pm

VNova wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:01 pm
yosef13 wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:50 pm
Black Saturday wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:30 pm
BeauFoster wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:22 pm
One great tradition that originated at App is Bugler's Dream at kickoff, with the point (probably borrowed) and whatever your chosen phrase to yell at the kick. That combination is 100% App State, from what I can tell.
You have the band chant on your screen. Has the "Give 'em Hell" gone by the way side to the PC crowd? Thought it was impressive as a freshmen many, many falls ago, and enjoyed it for many years long after. If they gave in, I hate to see it.
I think something else is being yelled these days. Makes "give'em hell" sound pretty tame.
When I was there ('10-'14), the phrase being yelled was more vulgar than "Give 'em hell". I'm not sure if it's still the same or if it's changed.
"Give 'Em Hell" was part of the band marching, not the crowd turning the air blue with vulgarities. Not sure what the band does now. Thought what the band did back in the day showed school spirit. Is something being said now that'll make sailors blush?


BLACK SATURDAY

User avatar
GregPercussion
Posts: 408
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:01 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 150 times
Been thanked: 130 times

Re: OMG...they get in that stinking creek?

Unread post by GregPercussion » Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:35 pm

Black Saturday wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:24 pm
VNova wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:01 pm
yosef13 wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:50 pm
Black Saturday wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:30 pm
BeauFoster wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:22 pm
One great tradition that originated at App is Bugler's Dream at kickoff, with the point (probably borrowed) and whatever your chosen phrase to yell at the kick. That combination is 100% App State, from what I can tell.
You have the band chant on your screen. Has the "Give 'em Hell" gone by the way side to the PC crowd? Thought it was impressive as a freshmen many, many falls ago, and enjoyed it for many years long after. If they gave in, I hate to see it.
I think something else is being yelled these days. Makes "give'em hell" sound pretty tame.
When I was there ('10-'14), the phrase being yelled was more vulgar than "Give 'em hell". I'm not sure if it's still the same or if it's changed.
"Give 'Em Hell" was part of the band marching, not the crowd turning the air blue with vulgarities. Not sure what the band does now. Thought what the band did back in the day showed school spirit. Is something being said now that'll make sailors blush?
Give em hell is still a band thing as of last year. Again I agree not a crowd thing, but the band has been doing it for years.



User avatar
ArmantiWaterSafety
Posts: 106
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:31 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 41 times
Been thanked: 47 times

Re: OMG...they get in that stinking creek?

Unread post by ArmantiWaterSafety » Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:55 pm

What are we referring to, the "You suck a-hole" chant? We definitely picked that up from somewhere and I always thought it was stupid. It's still heard in the student section.



mike87
Posts: 141
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:55 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 52 times
Been thanked: 87 times

Re: OMG...they get in that stinking creek?

Unread post by mike87 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:33 pm

so much worse when you don't punctuate.



Appster99
Posts: 304
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:17 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 239 times
Been thanked: 132 times

Re: OMG...they get in that stinking creek?

Unread post by Appster99 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:32 pm

Watching 1987 Stink at App game on Youtube, and the pre-game features a segment on Erk Russell. "Beautiful Eagle Creek" is literally a drainage ditch that Coach Russell thought was pretty when it rained really hard. They call it what it is in that video - a drainage ditch.



NewApp
Posts: 4579
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:59 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 418 times
Been thanked: 387 times
Contact:

Re: OMG...they get in that stinking creek?

Unread post by NewApp » Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:04 pm

I hope the Stink'ers got the Brain Eating Amoebas. Not really.



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”

  • Who is online
  • In total there are 37 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 36 guests

    Most users ever online was 1551 on Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:31 pm

    Users browsing this forum: HeffnerIV and 36 guests