Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

UNCC sees recruiting boost

YesAppCan
School: Appalachian State

UNCC sees recruiting boost

Unread post by YesAppCan » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:53 am

ASU-FTW

Re: UNCC sees recruiting boost

Unread post by ASU-FTW » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:12 am

I personally think that article is over-hyping their recruiting class. The Charlotte Disturber will not show "their school" in a bad light, and is most likely trying to get the residents of Charlotte interested in 49ers football.

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:16 am

Tevin Lawshe is not a 4-star recruit as rated by Rivals - he's a 3-star guy. Obvious that the CO is trying to hype up the class.
Last edited by BeauFoster on Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Give 'em hell!

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:15 am

Oh the endless calamity of UNCc. Hype hype hype to pacify the ramant little man syndrome in the fan base. When they hit the field the house of cards will come crashing down. This is the second year in a row that the CO has filled the Charlotte fanbase's eager little brains with a grossly inflated assessment of a mediocre recruiting class. Well at least this time the rivals guy didn't add 2 stars to every single recruit on signing day. What a joke!

It is a recipe for about 12 fans in the stands when the loses start pouring in.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:31 am

Is there hyperbole in the article yes. But UNCC is a REAL threat and that CUSA label is a huge factor.

The truth is somewhere in between the article and the post thus far in this thread.

MountainMan

Unread post by MountainMan » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:57 am

Agree. UNCC may not be a powerhouse on the field on day one, but they are going about things in a serious and determined manner. Anyone that has not seen their stadium yet should stop by and see it sometime. It's pretty impressive for a school that has yet to play a down -- and it's very easy to envision how it could be expanded multiple times if needed.

Ultimately, their success or lack of success will be fully evident by their won-loss record and fans-in-the-seats, but so far, I'm pretty impressed with how they are starting out.

JCline0429

Unread post by JCline0429 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:25 am

" and it's very easy to envision how it could be expanded multiple times if needed"
Unfortunately, not like ours. The only places we have to go are a third deck on the East Side and the end zones. Of course some would count having seats near the field level when we remove the track.
We have a great facility, but it is severely limited as far as expansion of quality seating is concerned.
a.k.a JC0429

ASU-FTW

Unread post by ASU-FTW » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:28 am

JCline0429 wrote:" and it's very easy to envision how it could be expanded multiple times if needed"
Unfortunately, not like ours. The only places we have to go are a third deck on the East Side and the end zones. Of course some would count having seats near the field level when we remove the track.
We have a great facility, but it is severely limited as far as expansion of quality seating is concerned.
Agree. We hindered ourselves a bit by expanding so soon. UNCC had the benefit of starting from scratch, an option we didn't have. The track is also a major obstacle for expansion.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:32 am

Are you kidding?

We could make a horseshoe with seating on the mountain side and keep it below the trees, deck the East side, add lower seats when the filed is lowered and more seating on the open end where the old field house is. We could get to 40to 50k easily without spoiling the views......

JCline0429

Unread post by JCline0429 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:35 am

Rekdiver wrote:Are you kidding?

We could make a horseshoe with seating on the mountain side and keep it below the trees, deck the East side, add lower seats when the filed is lowered and more seating on the open end where the old field house is. We could get to 40to 50k easily without spoiling the views......
Try selling season tickets for the horshoe or the seats near field level that the track removal would assist in doing. They would make good general admission or student seating, I suppose.
FWIW, Cobb has been stellar in boosting season ticket sales, but it would be a monstrous sales achievement to sell those.
Last edited by JCline0429 on Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:42 am, edited 3 times in total.
a.k.a JC0429

JCline0429

Unread post by JCline0429 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:37 am

ASU-FTW wrote:
JCline0429 wrote:" and it's very easy to envision how it could be expanded multiple times if needed"
Agree. We hindered ourselves a bit by expanding so soon. UNCC had the benefit of starting from scratch, an option we didn't have. The track is also a major obstacle for expansion.

Exactly. Rep point.
a.k.a JC0429

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:38 am

Agreed - I don't see any massive hindrances to expansion that didn't exist before. We needed a new pressbox, we got it. We had an immediate need for seating, we got it, and didn't blow the bank on something that will probably be torn down/moved in the next 10 years. Build a new track somewhere else, and you could add another 8k-10k seats to KBS without touching a single existing structure (unless you renovate Owens to act as bathrooms and concessions for the endzone seating. And that's not including what could be done Bobby's endzone. We'll have to be creative to expand, but nothing too crazy.
Give 'em hell!

ASU-FTW

Unread post by ASU-FTW » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:44 am

It really all starts with the track. I don't believe we should add more decks or horshoe anything until the track is relocated. If this doesn't happen, we further enhance the "piece-meal" appearance of Kidd Brewer. Fortunately the administration realizes this as evident by the athletics master plan.

Also, hooray thread derails! :lol:

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:00 am

Another advantage UNCc has: there are no views to spoil.

JCline0429

Unread post by JCline0429 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:38 am

Gonzo wrote:

I'm a tree hugger and proud of it so I like that about us and that our administration respects that....so far.
a.k.a JC0429

3rd

Unread post by 3rd » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:59 pm

IDK about yall but i wish we could take Wake's stadium and put it right were ares is. I love their curves stands, Both sides are big, and no track stands are right on the field.

dobis79

Unread post by dobis79 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:40 pm

Gonzo wrote:

I am new to the board and I hate UNCC as much as the next guy, but their campus is actually pretty nice.
Last edited by dobis79 on Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

appbio91

Unread post by appbio91 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:42 pm

If you have not been on UNCC campus in the last 5 years you should go check it out. They are not the step child of the UNC system any longer. With the plan to add a medical school they will turn out even more deep pockets. Say what you want but they are a threat to us in terms of recruiting in the years to come.

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:54 pm

3rd wrote:IDK about yall but i wish we could take Wake's stadium and put it right were ares is. I love their curves stands, Both sides are big, and no track stands are right on the field.
Wake's stadium, while nice, has absolutely no room for expansion, save bowling in the hill. They would likely not be able to add another deck to the non-pressbox side, due to the pitch and height of the stadium (without considerable cost). A stadium I do admire, and wish was sitting on Stadium Drive is UT-C's. That place could easily be expanded
Give 'em hell!

RankinApp

Unread post by RankinApp » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:18 pm

appbio91 wrote:If you have not been on UNCC campus in the last 5 years you should go check it out. They are not the step child of the UNC system any longer. With the plan to add a medical school they will turn out even more deep pockets. Say what you want but they are a threat to us in terms of recruiting in the years to come.
Yeah, I don't get the constant UNC hate either. I mean I understand the hate, but it's hard not to see what's going on down there and wish App was doing the same. I realize we have different institutional profiles and are geared for different needs, but I'm impressed with their professional schools. And like you say, that's where the money is.

Their new football stadium is nothing to sneeze at either. It's really really nice, and will be even better when expanded. I was checking their facilities page the other day and all of them are top notch. The baseball stadium is ridiculous.

They're definitely a threat and even more so with the FBS label.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”