Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

UNCC sees recruiting boost

NWA49
School: Charlotte

Re: UNCC sees recruiting boost

Unread post by NWA49 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:14 pm

JCline0429 wrote: if C was getting a lot of pub in the Charlotte Disturber, losses to us would expose their lack of a quality program.
Don't worry - the Observer does their best to ignore we exist. It is Chapel Hill first and everyone else behind them.
Go Niners!
@Normbulance

MAD Doctor
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:16 pm

The Chapel Hill Observer isn't the only local media source that disses the 9'ers. WFNZ treats them like crap too, even when they carried their games. They ridicule UNCC for always complaining about a lack of respect, but not earning it. When disgusted 9'er fans don't call the show, the hosts try to goad them into calling so they can slam them. They have no problem loving on Davidson, but will not give any props to UNCC, even though they basically own the series with Davidson.

JCline0429

Unread post by JCline0429 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:19 pm

ASUMountaineer wrote:
JCline0429 wrote:
NWA49 wrote:
ASUMountaineer wrote:
JCline0429 wrote:I agree with you about App State declining to play UNCC until they agree to play us at KBS. And, I can't stand Cornbread...dude is so pompous.
I suspect that we will play App when you guys move up to FBS. We aren't going to visit an FCS school and you guys aren't going to play in our stadium, at least not until it's expanded. As for BOA the rent there pretty much crushes any dreams of us playing each other there. ACC teams have had trouble making that worth the money.

For the record most of our fanbase hates Cornbread too.
Someone hacked that post about Cornbread because I've always admired him as a player. I didn't appreciate some of his comments on 610 a few years back, however.
It wasn't hacked, just one of the [/quotes] got removed so it looked like you said it. Don't be so paranoid.

ASUM: I'm not one bit paranoid. I've just had so many instances of my accounts hacked, including credit cards on a couple occasions. One hacker was in the Bahamas at Paradise Resort or whatever its called. :(
If youwere joking, it was funny, :lol: if not, MYOB. :x
a.k.a JC0429

JCline0429

Unread post by JCline0429 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:20 pm

NWA49 wrote:
JCline0429 wrote: if C was getting a lot of pub in the Charlotte Disturber, losses to us would expose their lack of a quality program.
Don't worry - the Observer does their best to ignore we exist. It is Chapel Hill first and everyone else behind them.
Yep. I agree.
a.k.a JC0429

NWA49

Unread post by NWA49 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:43 pm

MAD Doctor wrote:The Chapel Hill Observer isn't the only local media source that disses the 9'ers. WFNZ treats them like crap too, even when they carried their games. They ridicule UNCC for always complaining about a lack of respect, but not earning it. When disgusted 9'er fans don't call the show, the hosts try to goad them into calling so they can slam them. They have no problem loving on Davidson, but will not give any props to UNCC, even though they basically own the series with Davidson.
Yeah - even after back to back NCAA seasons, beating top 5 and top 10 teams regularly, conference titles and games being on their station they went out of their way to run us down. Most of our fans don't listen to them at all now. Their afternoon guys are further up the ACCs ass than Packer was and that is hard to believe. Most of us listen to 730 - who actually does a good job covering the Niners and have heard them talking App football on more than one occasion.
Go Niners!
@Normbulance

Appftw

Unread post by Appftw » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:03 pm

UNCC is my number one choice for graduate school, so believe me when I say I have no biased/imagined fallacies affecting my perception of either university, so I'll just tell it like it is: Sure, you're a higher division than us(for now), but we still have nicer facilities and get better recruits. Academically we are harder to get admitted to as an undergrad (the princeton review shows us accepting 61% while UNCC accepts 70%, but that number is thrown off because of your very competitive masters programs like Architecture which only accept 40 people per class). I've seen publications that put your acceptance rate as high as 84% when not counting graduate programs. UNCC is an excellent school, but if we're being honest with ourselves App is much better. Don't even get me started on the sense of community and school spirit between the two.

Normally, I never post, but this NWA guy wants to sing kumbayah and act like we're equals, and I'm sorry that's just not the case. And yes, I've been on Charlotte's campus very recently for tours and to see friends.

NWA49

Unread post by NWA49 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:01 pm

Appftw wrote:UNCC is my number one choice for graduate school, so believe me when I say I have no biased/imagined fallacies affecting my perception of either university, so I'll just tell it like it is: Sure, you're a higher division than us(for now), but we still have nicer facilities and get better recruits.
I don't really put much weight in academic issues because so much of picking schools and colleges and the resulting salaries are all based on specifics of those schools and those colleges that each school invests in and the desires of students that attend that I just don't see the point arguing over such things. I really don't care about App academics. I got a quality education at Charlotte which enabled me to get a job I love making enough money to keep me and my family happy. I have never met an employer who frowned upon my degree from Charlotte. I have plenty of friends with degrees from App and they have had great careers. Nothing else is of concern to me with that, so I don't really care to engaged in that topic on either side as it pointless and what gets said on a message board about such topics is nothing more than people blowing smoke about their schools.

Now facilities - Are you talking academic facilities or athletic? Academic and housing in App vs what we have I am sure is fairly close as both schools have done a massive amount of building in the last 15 or so years. So unless you show a bias I will call that a push. Now for athletic facilities - if you want to argue this one I am more than willing. Outside of your football stadium being bigger (which doesn't really mean nicer, just bigger) I will be happy to put what we have up against anything in Boone. As for better recruits (I assume you are meaning just football at this point), well we are only on our second recruiting class and our first with a conference tie and a stadium that is more than a picture so we shall see how this works out.
Appftw wrote:Normally, I never post, but this NWA guy wants to sing kumbayah and act like we're equals, and I'm sorry that's just not the case. And yes, I've been on Charlotte's campus very recently for tours and to see friends.
I simply would like to see us stop arguing back and forth and accept that there are great things about each school and point most of this hate towards Chapel Hill who most certainly has equal views of us which is that we both aren't worthy of our rightful amount of funding, that neither of us should strive to be more than "smaller" schools in the system and that all of what we hope to be should be brought to them for their attention.
Go Niners!
@Normbulance

Appftw

Unread post by Appftw » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:11 pm

NWA49 wrote:Now facilities - Are you talking academic facilities or athletic? Academic and housing in App vs what we have I am sure is fairly close as both schools have done a massive amount of building in the last 15 or so years. So unless you show a bias I will call that a push. Now for athletic facilities - if you want to argue this one I am more than willing. Outside of your football stadium being bigger (which doesn't really mean nicer, just bigger) I will be happy to put what we have up against anything in Boone. As for better recruits (I assume you are meaning just football at this point), well we are only on our second recruiting class and our first with a conference tie and a stadium that is more than a picture so we shall see how this works out.

Our press box alone is worth more than your entire stadium. 5 Million more actually, at 50 and 45 million respectively. Our recruits attest to that, just check the offers they had from other schools.

NWA49 wrote:I simply would like to see us stop arguing back and forth and accept that there are great things about each school and point most of this hate towards Chapel Hill who most certainly has equal views of us which is that we both aren't worthy of our rightful amount of funding, that neither of us should strive to be more than "smaller" schools in the system and that all of what we hope to be should be brought to them for their attention.

Some UNCC fans are so giddy from getting a football team that they've willed themselves into believing that they're magically not a commuter school anymore. Maybe when you get the light rail (even more commuter friendly!) and have your first kickoff, a miracle will indeed occur, and you will somehow manage to breath some actual life into that campus (the vital organs are there you just have no pulse). Until that day, I will not consider joining you in mutual abhorrence of UNC-CH, I'm perfectly fine reviling them by myself, thank you, because as of now we are not equals, don't kid yosef. Ask any honest tar hole (they do exist) and they will tell you the same if they're not worried about hurting your feelings.

Fun side note: I have family throughout the country and whenever I tell them I'm planning on UNCC for grad school, they think I'm referring to the tar holes. That is your national reputation.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:07 pm

Long term App and UNCC could be a great rivalry, would enjoy playing them in every sport.

cbarrier90

Unread post by cbarrier90 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:05 am

Saint3333 wrote:Long term App and UNCC could be a great rivalry, would enjoy playing them in every sport.
I feel bad for them tonight. Upset #11 Butler in Hinkle Fieldhouse and won't get nearly the pub they deserve because the local news wants to let people know about NIT UNC and an overrated Duke team.

Yes, they have a napoleon complex when it comes to media disrespect (we, and every other mid-major in the state does, too) but when stuff like this happens, those arguments are validated.

I do find it ironic that the year they declare to leave A-10 for C-USA, the A-10 becomes far and away the best mid-major conference in the country while the C-USA outside of Memphis is very bad. I agree with Saint that it would be great to be in the same conference with them, but the "Southeastern Ideal Regional Conference That Makes the Most Sense for All Parties Involved" makes too much sense to ever happen.

yosef03

Unread post by yosef03 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:10 am

Saint3333 wrote:Long term App and UNCC could be a great rivalry, would enjoy playing them in every sport.
Agreed, could good for both schools. We seriously cannot stay FCS for long though - need to recruit without the wrongly thought of stigma of being in D-II. it's a disadvantage.

JCline0429

Unread post by JCline0429 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:47 am

cbarrier90 wrote:
I feel bad for them tonight. Upset #11 Butler in Hinkle Fieldhouse and won't get nearly the pub they deserve because the local news wants to let people know about NIT UNC and an overrated Duke team.

Yes, they have a napoleon complex when it comes to media disrespect (we, and every other mid-major in the state does, too) but when stuff like this happens, those arguments are validated.

I do find it ironic that the year they declare to leave A-10 for C-USA, the A-10 becomes far and away the best mid-major conference in the country while the C-USA outside of Memphis is very bad. I agree with Saint that it would be great to be in the same conference with them, but the "Southeastern Ideal Regional Conference That Makes the Most Sense for All Parties Involved" makes too much sense to ever happen.

WBTV, Channel 3 on Delano's show, gave about 4 minutes or so time with some good vdeo.
a.k.a JC0429

NWA49

Unread post by NWA49 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:16 pm

Appftw wrote:Our press box alone is worth more than your entire stadium. 5 Million more actually, at 50 and 45 million respectively. Our recruits attest to that, just check the offers they had from other schools.
Congrats you have been playing football a little longer than we have. Of course we aren't going to drop 100 mill before we had a conference or fans or anything else. As I said you have a bigger stadium, which includes your press box and I am not going to argue against that. With that said I stand by my statement that while our stadium isn't as big it is just as nice. I am not worried about recruiting one bit.

We have put millions of dollars into track, soccer, baseball, basketball, golf and tennis (freakin tennis!) facilities. What makes you think we aren't willing to do the same thing into the most popular sport on campus? Just have to do it in the appropriate manner. I know thinking about sport other than football is a challenge for you Appy's but they do exist.

Appftw wrote:Some UNCC fans are so giddy from getting a football team that they've willed themselves into believing that they're magically not a commuter school anymore. Maybe when you get the light rail (even more commuter friendly!) and have your first kickoff, a miracle will indeed occur, and you will somehow manage to breath some actual life into that campus (the vital organs are there you just have no pulse). Until that day, I will not consider joining you in mutual abhorrence of UNC-CH, I'm perfectly fine reviling them by myself, thank you, because as of now we are not equals, don't kid yosef. Ask any honest tar hole (they do exist) and they will tell you the same if they're not worried about hurting your feelings.

Fun side note: I have family throughout the country and whenever I tell them I'm planning on UNCC for grad school, they think I'm referring to the tar holes. That is your national reputation.
If you want to continue believing that myth about the commuter school then so be it and nothing I say will change your mind. Just know that while that statement may have been true in the 80s it is far from true today. We have higher than the average % of students living within a 10 mile radius of our campus than most schools. Also don't you think lack of football has contributed to people leaving on the weekends? As I stated above I spent most of my fall weeks in Boone, Raleigh, Chapel Hill and other places because that is where the football was. So I wasn't leaving campus to go home. There were MANY students like me. Football arriving on our campus will continue to change that. In addition to that we aren't in a little town - which means we have students all over the metro area and why stay on campus on a friday night when you can go to uptown charlotte or noda or montford or plenty of other places in the city. I have never said we have the same experience as App, nor would I want us to. There is nothing wrong with providing our state citizens different experiences when they think about what kind of college they want to go to - big vs. small, college town vs. urban and etc.

As for the name - why do you think we want to change our name? Yet another reason for me to hate Chapel Hill. Imagine if your name was UNC Boone. Trust me when I say when one of the next major pushes that will come from alumni will be to change the name. 15 of us started football and we can start the name change.
Last edited by NWA49 on Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Go Niners!
@Normbulance

NWA49

Unread post by NWA49 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:24 pm

cbarrier90 wrote:

We got some run on ESPN last night and top billing in the Observer, which was a surprise to me honestly.

As for leaving the A10 - the conference will most likely lose Butler and Xavier to the C7 and potentially a group that could include VCU, Richmond, Dayton and St Louis. Add into that Temple leaving and the A10 won't be what it is this year. CUSA is an upgrade in most sports not named basketball and as Memphis proved you can be just fine in that league, but we will miss some of the opponents for sure. If our AD and Chancellor had had any vision in the mid 90s we could have avoided this.
Go Niners!
@Normbulance

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:43 pm

I see no need to bash Charlotte. They have tried for years and years to become relevant in sports and have had a nice run at times with golf, basketball, baseball and soccer. This in spite of Judy Rose and a Chancellor who blocked football at every turn. Bully for the alumni who forced this issue.

My issues are with Judy Rose and her new found arrogance in looking down her nose at Appalachian. I heard her say " It's a nice little school, but nobody wants to travel there" It is short sighted not to see what a regional rivalry could mean for both schools and a conference that had the vision to see beyond a short drive. What would draw better in this town? Charlotte vs ASU or Charlotte verses anyone in CUSA?

In any event I am envious of what Charlotte has been given and hope that we will soon be joining an FBS conference.

Appftw

Unread post by Appftw » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:46 pm

You said that your (specifically football) facilities could be argued as being nicer than ours when, unless you're talking about the quality of your bleachers/seats, that is blatantly untrue. Have you seen our locker room (it's nicer than the Panthers') or are you as ignorant as I think you are? So since you lost that argument you decided to brag about your tennis facilities. Bravo.

Look I really hope I get into Charlotte if I'm admitted, but don't try to tell me that Charlotte isn't a commuter school. I live and work in Charlotte and you obviously live in some kind of bizzaro fantasy world. I see the CATS busses driving around with the uncc football helmet emblazoned on the side with the words "One Team, One City, One Year Away", which is great marketing but they forgot to add one more line to that mantra: "One Fan". You have a long, long road ahead of you.

NWA49

Unread post by NWA49 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:04 am

Appftw wrote:You said that your (specifically football) facilities could be argued as being nicer than ours when, unless you're talking about the quality of your bleachers/seats, that is blatantly untrue. Have you seen our locker room (it's nicer than the Panthers') or are you as ignorant as I think you are? So since you lost that argument you decided to brag about your tennis facilities. Bravo.

Look I really hope I get into Charlotte if I'm admitted, but don't try to tell me that Charlotte isn't a commuter school. I live and work in Charlotte and you obviously live in some kind of bizzaro fantasy world. I see the CATS busses driving around with the uncc football helmet emblazoned on the side with the words "One Team, One City, One Year Away", which is great marketing but they forgot to add one more line to that mantra: "One Fan". You have a long, long road ahead of you.
I never said nicer - I said just as nice and I said you must be only talking about football when you said you had nicer facilities since most App fans seem to think football is the only sport in college athletics. I have had multiple tours of our locker room, weight room, meeting rooms and other facilities. I also have had the pleasure of having seen the Panthers facilities, a behind the scenes tour of Neyland stadium, a tour of Keenan stadium and a few others. I stand by what I said firmly. While what we have may not be as big as some of those, it is just as nice. I have talked to our players parents who have said the same thing. We cut no corners, which quite honestly was a surprise for me. As for tennis, if we are willing to invest millions of dollars into tennis, which no one cares about by the way. Why would would we not continue to invest money into football a sport that everyone cares about?

As for the commuter school stuff, like I said I won't change your mind. I can post some facts here and that won't change your mind. So be it. A metro urban school is very different from what your experience at App was and I have acknowledged that on multiple occasions. Do some kids leave on the weekends - sure they do. Do we have a portion of students that live at home while attending college? Sure we do, in fact that is one of the charters for the school to provide educational access to the metro area while keeping tuition affordable. I don't fault us one bit for helping more people get an education and with the cost of tuition continuing to increase schools like Charlotte will look even better because at the price many families and individuals simply can not afford 4 or 5 years of room and board and food and tuition. If that increases some of our students driving from home so be it and I will be proud that we are making higher education available to those who may not be able to afford other options.

As for the fan bit, how many fans would app have if it wasn't for football? I went to plenty of games in Boone in the early 90s where there was plenty of room in the stands at the games. Still had a good time though. My point is the entire fanbase of App has been built off of football and winning football at that. It isn't like App people turn out to support many of your other sports. In Charlotte we have solid crowds for our basketball, soccer and baseball programs so why would we not support football - the most popular sport in the nation?

As I stated I am pretty confident in our ability to sell out the stadium at our initial size. Students buzz is extremely high and quite frankly the alumni have invested too much money to not show up. Any expansion will be driven by how popular it becomes in the community and campus. I suspect that if it wasn't for the $1,000 - $2,500 FSL we would have a wait list for season tickets. That is the unknown. Let's see what happens first - 30k at a Charlotte football game or 10,000 at a App basketball game.
Go Niners!
@Normbulance

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:14 am

Since the HCC doesn't hold 10,000 and your stadium doesn't hold 30,000, we may both be waiting a good while for those events.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:15 am

He posted those numbers as if UNCC draws 10,000 to bball games. :lol:

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:18 pm

Ok I finally had to break down and formally respond to the endless stream of fallacies present in that thread over on the UNCcee board. I REFUSE to sink to their level and actually register for the site and I'm sure every one of them is eagerly refreshing the page on our board, so I will do so here:

49erfootballnow (the biggest and most obsessive of their internet troll crew who was actually deemed a MOD over on CSNBBS!)
"I hate to keep bringing this thread back up but academics smack from App St is just the most mind boggling thing I've ever seen in my life. I'd like to see some real, program vs program, numbers because their 61% acceptance rate and 20 point advantage on SATs just feels like crap to me when compared to what our graduates make compared to them"

http://moodle.fcschools.net/pluginfile. ... _Score.pdf

Little more than 20 points there, buddy. As far as undergraduate institutions go, Appalachian is more prestigious. Admission percentage, SAT, ACT, GPA what ever angle you look you will find yourselves inferior. Shut the f**k up already.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”