Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

UCF Beefs up schedule

TheMoody1
School: Appalachian State

UCF Beefs up schedule

Unread post by TheMoody1 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:59 pm

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... -state-byu

UCF added nonconference home-and-home series with Boise State and BYU to its future schedules, the schools announced Tuesday.

For UCF, the additions show an ongoing commitment to enhance its strength of schedule. The Knights have been criticized for their strength of schedule, finishing the regular season undefeated in 2017 and 2018 but not being in the College Football Playoff conversation.

"BYU and Boise State represent big-time strength-of-schedule games for our program based on their records and Top 25 rankings in recent years," UCF athletic director Danny White said in a statement. "We are committed to continue to schedule attractive, meaningful football games both for our fans and student-athletes. BYU and Boise State are both power programs, and we're proud to play them."

Boise State and BYU do not come from Power 5 conferences, but they are still big-name opponents.

Boise State ranks among the most successful Group of 5 schools in the nation -- with double-digit win totals in eight of the past 10 seasons and multiple past appearances in the Fiesta Bowl.

Independent BYU does count as a Power 5 opponent for Power 5 conference schools playing the Cougars. BYU has six bowl victories and 81 combined wins over the past decade and has victories over Tennessee and USC this season.

Boise State will travel to play UCF in 2021, a season in which the Knights play at Louisville. UCF will play at Boise State and host BYU in 2023, and will travel to Provo to play the Cougars in 2024.

White has previously said scheduling nonconference games against Power 5 opponents has grown difficult in recent years because of the Knights' success. In an interview with ESPN over the summer, though, he said programs have become a little more receptive.

"For programs looking to beef up their schedule I've been a little surprised just hearing how they're thinking and as we continue to build our brand that could be helpful to us," White said. "Whereas previously, it was, 'Let's be careful because we've got a tough conference schedule, we don't want to play a tough team in the nonconference.' "

Boise State has made its name playing tough nonconference games, going back to its rise as a Group of 5 power, and beat Florida State earlier this season. The Broncos set the standard in the BCS era that UCF has followed up on now in the College Football Playoff era. Both now appear to be in contention for the Group of 5 spot in a New Year's Six game: Undefeated Boise State is ranked No. 16 in the latest AP poll, while UCF is No. 22 after losing at Pittsburgh last weekend.

In addition to Boise State, BYU and Louisville, UCF has future games set against Power 5 teams North Carolina and Georgia Tech.

PhillyApp

Re: UCF Beefs up schedule

Unread post by PhillyApp » Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:04 pm

Interesting adds. Time for us to beef up our schedule beyond UNC and UNCC...
Clark for Prez 2024 💪🏼

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:08 pm

PhillyApp wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:04 pm
Wisconsin, Wake, Texas A&M, Miami, Clemson, South Carolina - all on future schedules.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:10 pm

It would be nice if we could get a home and home with UCF. We have recruited Florida pretty successfully in recent years and need to continue.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:12 pm

Yosef10 wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:08 pm
PhillyApp wrote:
Wisconsin, Wake, Texas A&M, Miami, Clemson, South Carolina - all on future schedules.
Yes, no offense to UCF, but App has typically played strong OOC opponents. I do not recall a time when UCF played a NC contender. To their credit, the AAC is a much more daunting schedule than the SunBelt. I think Doug does a good job of scheduling strong non conference matchups.
The Appalachian State

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:13 pm

It's good that UCF is taking the criticism they've received in the past to heart and trying to do at least something about it. From App's perspective, I believe we already have at least 1 P5 on the schedule for most every year through 2026 or so, so there isn't a ton we can do (other than buy out FCS games and find a G5/P5 that has the guts to play us).
Give 'em hell!

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:20 pm

appstatealum wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:12 pm
Yosef10 wrote:
PhillyApp wrote:
Yes, no offense to UCF, but App has typically played strong OOC opponents. I do not recall a time when UCF played a NC contender. To their credit, the AAC is a much more daunting schedule than the SunBelt. I think Doug does a good job of scheduling strong non conference matchups.
Yeah other than the UMass and Akron series (think we got out of the last Akron game) I’ve been very pleased with Gillin’s scheduling. I know it’s hard, but would love if he was able to replicate next years scheduling every year: 1 buy game at a big name P5, a home and home game with a lower level P5, a G5, and an FCS.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:21 pm

Why has App not been able, or willing, to attempt to schedule UCF or Boise State yet? The Boise State match-up seems logical and like it would garner Saturday, Friday, or Thursday ESPN slot in early season play. Two of the most successful FCS/FBS transitions playing.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:23 pm

Seems like it helps us for Boise & UCF to play since one of them will incur a loss and they are two of the perennial G5 powers we're competing against for the elusive NY6. Hopefully, we'll have elevated our program even further by then...

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:23 pm

BeauFoster wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:13 pm
It's good that UCF is taking the criticism they've received in the past to heart and trying to do at least something about it. From App's perspective, I believe we already have at least 1 P5 on the schedule for most every year through 2026 or so, so there isn't a ton we can do (other than buy out FCS games and find a G5/P5 that has the guts to play us).
I think most fans would agree in seeing some AAC games scheduled. 2024 is the next opening but that includes games against ETSU, at Clemson, and at ECU.

2021 will be interesting with games against 3 old rivals in ECU, Elon, and Marshall. Also have an early season game in Miami. Hopefully some more depth from upper classman is built by then.

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:23 pm

ericsaid wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:21 pm
Why has App not been able, or willing, to attempt to schedule UCF or Boise State yet? The Boise State match-up seems logical and like it would garner Saturday, Friday, or Thursday ESPN slot in early season play. Two of the most successful FCS/FBS transitions playing.
Who's to say we haven't tried, but there hasn't been a reciprocal desire? Or maybe both want it, but dates just can't align.
Give 'em hell!

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:24 pm

Next year we get Wake and Wisconsin on back to back weekends. In 2021 our September schedule includes ECU in Charlotte, at Miami, and home to Marshall. In 2022 we open at home with UNC and then travel to Texas A&M and Marshall on back to back weekends. In 2023 we are at UNC, come home to ECU, and then travel to Wyoming. In 2024 we go to Clemson and ECU on back to back weekends. And, of course, in 2025 we host South Carolina.

I would say we have a pretty heavy slate of some very good competition.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:25 pm

ericsaid wrote:
I don't know that we have any idea what we have attempted to schedule. We only know what we have successfully scheduled. I agree that these would be good series if we can get them. UNC would have more value than Boise State from a recruiting perspective.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:31 pm

Yosef84 wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:25 pm
ericsaid wrote:
I don't know that we have any idea what we have attempted to schedule. We only know what we have successfully scheduled. I agree that these would be good series if we can get them. UNC would have more value than Boise State from a recruiting perspective.
UNC already has the game though. I think from a National Perception standpoint, scheduling Boise State would be something that would catch the attention of nearly all the national media, particularly if App's trajectory continues the way it's going and Boise remains a constant. Must also assume that Sun Belt programs continue to elevate their level of play, upping the perception of the conference as a whole.

It seems that ESPN talking heads are stuck on the premise that C-USA still has Houston, ECU, and UCF and that the MAC isn't a shell of what it once was with money, fans, and the on field product diminishing. If that perception were to change by 2024-2026 and App got Boise State, it could conceivably get a prime time slotting. There wasn't a lot of interest with Troy and Boise State but I think App, like Boise State, is a brand ESPN could attach itself to in some ways.

Of course UNC fans would argue that App is still little league but the revenue generators need underdog stories to gin up interest. UCF was that until they weren't, and people realized the amount of money they were pumping in to their program was similar to TCU in the MWC. Boise State is still Boise State, a blue collar school who is the model of hard work and consistency, but they are on the West Coast. If Reddit is any indicator, and general fan responses around the ACC to Apps win, the Penn State and Tennessee games, any one with any more than skin deep knowledge of college football knows about App State. Many people will tune in to an App game specifically to see what the squad is about, because the hype is still there.

kornegaylw

Unread post by kornegaylw » Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:32 pm

Yosef10 wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:20 pm
appstatealum wrote:
Yosef10 wrote:
PhillyApp wrote:
Yeah other than the UMass and Akron series (think we got out of the last Akron game) I’ve been very pleased with Gillin’s scheduling. I know it’s hard, but would love if he was able to replicate next years scheduling every year: 1 buy game at a big name P5, a home and home game with a lower level P5, a G5, and an FCS.
09/05 - Morgan State
09/11 - at Wake Forest
09/19 - at Wisconsin
09/26 - UMass

09/04 - vs East Carolina (in Charlotte, NC)
09/11 - at Miami (FL)
09/18 - Elon
09/25 - Marshall

So I like the 2021 non-conference schedule better...more teams we know and care about and it will be more competitive.

AppGrad78

Unread post by AppGrad78 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:35 pm

I've heard we're getting a bit frustrated with finding a taker for our 2024 date. We've contacted all the usual suspects about coming to Boone and all we're hearing is a polite "thanks but no thanks." Can't imagine why.

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:40 pm

kornegaylw wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:32 pm
Yosef10 wrote:
appstatealum wrote:
Yosef10 wrote:
PhillyApp wrote:
09/05 - Morgan State
09/11 - at Wake Forest
09/19 - at Wisconsin
09/26 - UMass

09/11 - at Miami (FL)
09/18 - Elon
09/25 - Marshall

So I like the 2021 non-conference schedule better...more teams we know and care about and it will be more competitive.
No buy game in 2021. We’d be in a pretty tough financial situation without the games against the Wiscy, Texas A&Ms etc of the world. Plus I’m a CFB fan for the pageantry of it all, love that Gillin has us going to historically great stadiums like Camp Randall, Kyle Field, Beaver stadium. But yeah i like the 2021 slate too.

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:42 pm

AppGrad78 wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:35 pm
I've heard we're getting a bit frustrated with finding a taker for our 2024 date. We've contacted all the usual suspects about coming to Boone and all we're hearing is a polite "thanks but no thanks." Can't imagine why.
You know who these usual suspects are? I’d actually like to see us get a couple of home and homes with the not so usual suspects, preferably in the AAC.

kornegaylw

Unread post by kornegaylw » Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:44 pm

Yosef10 wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:40 pm
kornegaylw wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:32 pm
Yosef10 wrote:
appstatealum wrote:
Yosef10 wrote:

09/05 - Morgan State
09/11 - at Wake Forest
09/19 - at Wisconsin
09/26 - UMass

09/11 - at Miami (FL)
09/18 - Elon
09/25 - Marshall

No buy game in 2021. We’d be in a pretty tough financial situation without the games against the Wiscy, Texas A&Ms etc of the world. Plus I’m a CFB fan for the pageantry of it all, love that Gillin has us going to historically great stadiums like Camp Randall, Kyle Field, Beaver stadium. But yeah i like the 2021 slate too.
A&M, Wisconsin, Wake and Miami are fantastic! I was more referring to UMass and Morgan State. We play who agrees to play but its just not moving the dial like Elon and ECU. Both will be easier games more than likely just like UMass (I know we lost 2 years ago to them but it was a MASH unit on the field that day) and Morgan but who cares about them?

AppGrad78

Unread post by AppGrad78 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:53 pm

Yosef10 wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:42 pm
AppGrad78 wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:35 pm
You know who these usual suspects are? I’d actually like to see us get a couple of home and homes with the not so usual suspects, preferably in the AAC.
I know we're talked with N.C. State, with no success. I suspect (but have no first-hand knowledge) that we've also reached out to Virginia Tech, Virginia, Duke and Georgia Tech.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”