Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

The UNC/Duke game

Gonzo
School: Appalachian State

The UNC/Duke game

Unread post by Gonzo » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:04 pm

Today is the day when the masses of this great state pretend to be affiliated with a school with which they likely have no real connection. I wasn't that kid that stood at the Walmart rack at the age of 9 and arbitrarily chose a shade of blue. It has always taken an authentic and genuine association with me before I become emotionally invested. So tonight I'll be wearing my BLACK AND GOLD, mildly pulling for the Blue Devils because the alumni of that institution don't dominate the Board of Governors and put the screws to every other member of the UNC System at every turn.

Rant over. Go App.

ASU-FTW

Re: The UNC/Duke game

Unread post by ASU-FTW » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:05 pm

I won't even watch. Going to watch the Survivor premier instead....It's my guilty pleasure.

Edit - I won't DVR it either. Get on my level.
Last edited by ASU-FTW on Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ASUPATCH

Unread post by ASUPATCH » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:08 pm

Gonzo wrote:Today is the day when the masses of this great state pretend to be affiliated with a school with which they likely have no real connection. I wasn't that kid that stood at the Walmart rack at the age of 9 and arbitrarily chose a shade of blue. It has always taken an authentic and genuine association with me before I become emotionally invested. So tonight I'll be wearing my BLACK AND GOLD, mildly pulling for the Blue Devils because the alumni of that institution don't dominate the Board of Governors and put the screws to every other member of the UNC System at every turn.

Rant over. Go App.

The game is normally intriguing so I do watch it. But without Kelley Duke is a Sweet 16 team at best and UNC is NIT bound. Nothing to see here. Ill be avoiding facebook or any social media all night as it will be ridiculous with banter over an unimportant matchup.
Appalachian State, Better than your school since 1899!!!!

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:21 pm

Too bad they both can't lose.

RankinApp

Unread post by RankinApp » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:28 pm

I'll be getting back to my Canadian roots and watching hockey. ;)

How about those Canes..6 game road trip over 12 days and they go 4-1-1. Should be hoppin' at PNC tomorrow night.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:35 pm

RankinApp wrote:I'll be getting back to my Canadian roots and watching hockey. ;)

How about those Canes..6 game road trip over 12 days and they go 4-1-1. Should be hoppin' at PNC tomorrow night.
Awesome win in NJ last night. We're poised for a deep playoff run.

RankinApp

Unread post by RankinApp » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:40 pm

Gonzo wrote:Awesome win in NJ last night. We're poised for a deep playoff run.
Fantastic win, especially considering the tear NJ was on winning 5 in a row and leading the Eastern Conference. Ward has been money the last couple of games and Rutherford needs to do everything in his power to sign Semin to a long term deal. Good stuff with him and Staal on the first line.

dontplay90

Unread post by dontplay90 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:49 pm

ASU-FTW wrote:I won't even watch. Going to watch the Survivor premier instead....It's my guilty pleasure.

Depending on who your carrier is, your Survivor may be preempted by the game. You will be able to catch Survivor in it's entirety in an early morning airing or an alternate channel...

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/0 ... r-unc.html

We can thank my wife for this tidbit of information...
Give 'em Hell Apps!

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:52 pm

Speaking of Hurricanes.. how about that bunch in Miami! Not a fan of their's, but it is fun to watch them put a beating on the Holes and Devils.
When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:53 pm

dontplay90 wrote:
ASU-FTW wrote:I won't even watch. Going to watch the Survivor premier instead....It's my guilty pleasure.

Depending on who your carrier is, your Survivor may be preempted by the game. You will be able to catch Survivor in it's entirety in an early morning airing or an alternate channel...

You're married to Mark Washburn of the Charlotte Observer?

Appsolutely

Unread post by Appsolutely » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:56 pm

[quote="Gonzo"]Today is the day when the masses of this great state pretend to be affiliated with a school with which they likely have no real connection.

Perfectly stated...
"I’ve always said the program is bigger than me, any one player or any one coach."--Scott Satterfield

dontplay90

Unread post by dontplay90 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:56 pm

Gonzo wrote:
dontplay90 wrote:

You're married to Mark Washburn of the Charlotte Observer?
Nice... not exactly. :lol:
Give 'em Hell Apps!

asumike83

Unread post by asumike83 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:04 pm

RankinApp wrote:I'll be getting back to my Canadian roots and watching hockey. ;)

Very, very good road trip. After we got the win over the Isles, I looked at it as playing with house money. As good as NJ is, I'd have been perfectly happy with a 3-2-1 road trip but that was the icing on the cake.

After starting 0-2, the 'Canes have gone 7-2-1 and are currently the #3 seed in the East. I'm looking for a postseason run out of this group. Semin and Staal were huge additions.

ASUMountaineer

Unread post by ASUMountaineer » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:28 pm

asumike83 wrote:

Very, very good road trip. After we got the win over the Isles, I looked at it as playing with house money. As good as NJ is, I'd have been perfectly happy with a 3-2-1 road trip but that was the icing on the cake.

After starting 0-2, the 'Canes have gone 7-2-1 and are currently the #3 seed in the East. I'm looking for a postseason run out of this group. Semin and Staal were huge additions.
As a long-time Devils fan (well before the Whalers left Hartford), last night was tough. I always pull for the Canes unless they're playing the Devils. Glad to see both playing good hockey right now.
Poster formerly known as AppState03 (MMB) and currently known as ASUMountaineer everywhere else.

ASUPATCH

Unread post by ASUPATCH » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:57 pm

Maybe there needs to be a separate hockey forum. Holy cow. 3 Hockey threads in as many days. It started out duke/unc but this is defiantly now a hockey thread.

ASU-FTW

Unread post by ASU-FTW » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:04 pm

ASUPATCH wrote:Maybe there needs to be a separate hockey forum. Holy cow. 3 Hockey threads in as many days. It started out duke/unc but this is defiantly now a hockey thread.
For the better in my opinion. Go Canes!

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:10 pm

Yawn. At least you're not Caps fans. (Hi, B&G) ;)

"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

RankinApp

Unread post by RankinApp » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:10 pm

Image > Dook vs. Holes

Patch must have been beaten with a hockey stick growing up or had pucks thrown at his head. I've seen plenty of hissy fits on the MMB, but his is quickly in the top five. :lol:

ASUPATCH

Unread post by ASUPATCH » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:36 pm

RankinApp wrote:Image > Dook vs. Holes

Patch must have been beaten with a hockey stick growing up or had pucks thrown at his head. I've seen plenty of hissy fits on the MMB, but his is quickly in the top five. :lol:

Hissy fit? No....thread hijacking yes. I could care less about UNC DUKE personally but that was the intention of the thread. Now everyone is repping their NHL colors. I have the same issues when a thread will turn from recruiting into a coach Moore thread. Just not a fan of thread hijacks. I posted in this thread so I get a notification when others do as well. I think it may be something pertinent to do with the thread but upon returning to the site it is post after post about hockey. Not hissy.....just slightly annoyed. So proceed with NHL......cant say it in Czech or Russian or French for you hockey fans sorry.

RankinApp

Unread post by RankinApp » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:51 pm

ASUPATCH wrote:I could care less about UNC DUKE personally..
Really?
The game is normally intriguing so I do watch it.
:lol:

Dude, you've been hand-wringing about hockey (despite having never seen a game) in every thread where it's been brought up. The original thread was made in jest, as hockey at App isn't happening anytime soon, yet you're whining about how it's a Canadian/European sport. How no one watches. No one cares.

Just having a little fun and driving home the point that plenty of people do. ;)

Carry on.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”