Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

ECU imterim Chancellor

NavyApp
School: Appalachian State

Re: ECU imterim Chancellor

Unread post by NavyApp » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:51 pm

All this talk got me thinking about our former Chancellor Peacock. He was there during my time at App and as almost all of you know, that man fantastic at interacting with us students. I remember my freshman convocation ceremony and his speech, he talked about his interview and how he mispronounced Appalachian and was corrected very quickly. He was always just such a passionate speaker you couldn't help but to get hyped up. But the moment I will never ever forget is the evening of September 1, 2007(my sophomore year). After the team arrived back in Boone there was an impromptu pep rally in his front yard, where we left the field goal post, and he got up on that thing and he was just fired up and he got everyone there so fired up(not that he needed to that night). I can't remember what he said but I know I had Goosebumps and that I wanted to run through some walls! So for that trip down memory lane but man alive he was the perfect guy at the perfect time and I'm so thankful I was there when he was!
FREQS AND GEEKS!

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:58 pm

NavyApp wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:51 pm
All this talk got me thinking about our former Chancellor Peacock. He was there during my time at App and as almost all of you know, that man fantastic at interacting with us students. I remember my freshman convocation ceremony and his speech, he talked about his interview and how he mispronounced Appalachian and was corrected very quickly. He was always just such a passionate speaker you couldn't help but to get hyped up. But the moment I will never ever forget is the evening of September 1, 2007(my sophomore year). After the team arrived back in Boone there was an impromptu pep rally in his front yard, where we left the field goal post, and he got up on that thing and he was just fired up and he got everyone there so fired up(not that he needed to that night). I can't remember what he said but I know I had Goosebumps and that I wanted to run through some walls! So for that trip down memory lane but man alive he was the perfect guy at the perfect time and I'm so thankful I was there when he was!
All that is great but Chancellor Peacock wasn't out at a bar, drunk/drinking with students. There also didn't appear to be any other same aged adults/colleagues with him. It looked pretty creepy to me and very unprofessional, IMO.
WE ARE YOSEF!

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:01 pm

goapps93 wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:58 pm
NavyApp wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:51 pm
All that is great but Chancellor Peacock wasn't out at a bar, drunk/drinking with students. There also didn't appear to be any other same aged adults/colleagues with him. It looked pretty creepy to me and very unprofessional, IMO.
This was an aside to the current topic, not trying the two together just reminiscing on the coolest Chancellor I've ever met.
FREQS AND GEEKS!

Goapps15

Unread post by Goapps15 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:54 pm

Nice to see a chancellor who at least tries to get involved with the community.

wncapp78

Unread post by wncapp78 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:46 pm

I know him from his previous position and I expect a few of our Public Admin alums know him. He is a good guy. But given all the current emphasis on college campuses about binge drinking etc. and the recent DWI and resignation of BCBSNC CEO I expect there is high anxiety about the incident. Seems like a lose lose.

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:14 am

It’s a smear campaign simply bc the powerful in Greenville don’t think he fits the mold of their oh so prestigious university. He wasn’t out binge drinking yada yada etc, nothing but a smear tactic.

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:48 am

Yosef10 wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:14 am
It’s a smear campaign simply bc the powerful in Greenville don’t think he fits the mold of their oh so prestigious university. He wasn’t out binge drinking yada yada etc, nothing but a smear tactic.
Sounds like something that's going on at a levels of government these days.

appchicago

Unread post by appchicago » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:26 am

WataugaMan wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:48 am
Yosef10 wrote:
Sounds like something that's going on at a levels of government these days.
Not to be thread police, but that’s a rabbit hole I don’t think any of us want to go down.

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:45 am

True, it's definitely something that cold spin out of control.

GregPercussion

Unread post by GregPercussion » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:47 am

Unfortunately the damage has been done.

I know many students and alumni from ECU that have loved what he has been doing as interim so far.

Opinion: Him being out at a bar to "stir up excitement for ECU" is fine. Again, we sell Alcohol in stadiums now. Him drinking should not be the issue.
Now, if he in fact went a little too far on "inappropriate touching" that is damning and unacceptable. The "bar setting" is giving an allusion that this is more serious...
Example: if he were at a Football game and "put his arm around a female while holding a beer and took a picture" = not as bad.

However, as someone else stated, there is more politics going on in Greenville/ECU than most of us know... so I'm sure there are different motivations around as well.

Capt. Ed

Unread post by Capt. Ed » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:54 am

This is bad. While he appears to do nothing criminal, he did plenty to get fired. Standards for public behavior are higher for a person in his position, especially when it comes to drinking alone and having close physical contact with young women. He's sadly wrong to think this is a good way to interact with students and community.

Gerlach is the interim, hoping to become permanent, Chancellor of a very public and troubled institution. He'll need the support of state leaders, the community, faculty, and students now and in the future. His actions will alarm many.

He could have had an adult friend with him, he could have drank with the young men in the bar, he could have left before anything inappropriate occurred, and, he could have not done any of these.

His decision to do this shows poor judgment, forethought and situational awareness. Something I might expect from a 20 year old, but not from an older, educated adult seeking a high, very public position.

scatman77

Unread post by scatman77 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:07 am

Just my $0.02 worth of an observation: if this was the president of uncheat would this even be a story?
We don't slide at Appalachian State. It's a sign of weakness.

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:14 pm

scatman77 wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:07 am
Just my $0.02 worth of an observation: if this was the president of uncheat would this even be a story?
The president of unc-cheat wouldn't be caught dead fraternizing with such common folk.
Give 'em hell!

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:12 pm

Capt. Ed wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:54 am
This is bad. While he appears to do nothing criminal, he did plenty to get fired. Standards for public behavior are higher for a person in his position, especially when it comes to drinking alone and having close physical contact with young women. He's sadly wrong to think this is a good way to interact with students and community.

Gerlach is the interim, hoping to become permanent, Chancellor of a very public and troubled institution. He'll need the support of state leaders, the community, faculty, and students now and in the future. His actions will alarm many.

He could have had an adult friend with him, he could have drank with the young men in the bar, he could have left before anything inappropriate occurred, and, he could have not done any of these.

His decision to do this shows poor judgment, forethought and situational awareness. Something I might expect from a 20 year old, but not from an older, educated adult seeking a high, very public position.
Totally agree, Capt.Ed. If he wants to fraternize with students, let him go to some extra-curricular club meetings or go to the student center.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:23 pm

Yosef10 wrote:
I've been reading your posts and the media reports (and viewing the public posts of videos and still pics) for a couple of days. You present yourself as a staunch supporter of this gent--genuinely outraged at his admin suspension during an investigation. I have a couple of questions.

Do you know Gerlach personally? Were you present/or a participant/or a witness during last week's Happy Hour tour? What makes you so dead-certain that this is a case of TPTB making a mountain out of a mole hill? Remember, your friend/acquaintance hasn't been dismissed--he's just been temporarily relieved of his duties pending the outcome of an investigation of concerns raised about media reports of his fraternizing with female students in a bar scene. Methinks Gerlach stepped over the line; but he may survive the inquiry.

Don't misunderstand. I'm no fan of the UNC-BOG and its management of the greater university. The BOG even has an "interim" president--as does that nearby baby blue flagship univ. This goes with a half-dozen other "interim" or "acting" chancellors around the system. I'm not confident this bunch will ever get all of their leadership positions filled with competent permanent visionaries. I think some of them thrive on the disorder they've created. Losing!
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:06 pm

Dan is a little goofy,but he’s not dangerous.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:27 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:06 pm
Dan is a little goofy,but he’s not dangerous.
A little??
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”