Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

ECU imterim Chancellor

McLeansvilleAppFan
School: Appalachian State

ECU imterim Chancellor

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:31 am

This is my very generic signature added to each post.

NewApp

Re: ECU imterim Chancellor

Unread post by NewApp » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:07 pm

Is this true or is it a spoof?
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:11 pm

I don't know but based on what I see here, he seems like a perfect fit for ECU...

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:20 pm

He did not do a single thing that anyone would deem inappropriate. He’s done a fantastic job of being involved with the community of Greenville. Not sure how or why a chancellor enjoying a beer out in town became a newsworthy topic, 2019 i guess....

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:30 pm

Yosef10 wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:20 pm
He did not do a single thing that anyone would deem inappropriate. He’s done a fantastic job of being involved with the community of Greenville. Not sure how or why a chancellor enjoying a beer out in town became a newsworthy topic, 2019 i guess....
Most of what your saying is true; but if you look at all the pictures there are a couple that give off a bad image. I wasn't there so I don't have the context of everything but we live in a world of perception is reality and the perception is he was acting in a way unbecoming of his position. Add in the fact all the problems with this specific position ECU has had in the recent past doesn't help. I seriously doubt he was out there trolling for co-eds, but the narrative is being painted with a different brush.
FREQS AND GEEKS!

moonshine

Unread post by moonshine » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:46 pm

Yosef10 wrote:
Agreed unless one of the co-eds filed a complaint. We all loved Peacock being App's biggest fan and approachable. I know he wasn't a Chancellor but IIRC, we appreciated Coach Fox going to the Tapp Room after games early in his tenure trying to drum up interest in App's b-ball program. We'd probably be giving kudos to Everts if she was seen out at a local watering hole with the students.

I guess the "chugging" of beer doesn't look great but seems like a bunch of nothing to me.
Picked up via free agency by the High Country All-Stars

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:53 pm

NewApp wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:07 pm
Is this true or is it a spoof?
This was posted on the Greenboro paper website so it looks real.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

biggie
Site Admin

Unread post by biggie » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:56 pm

Thought that would be a requirement for EZU?

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:59 pm

The only thing I saw in the article that gives me pause is the "inappropriate touching" bit. But there was no elaboration, so perhaps people think he shouldn't put his arm around students/alums.

Maybe he should just give them a thumbs up instead.
Give 'em hell!

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:01 pm

NavyApp wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:30 pm
Yosef10 wrote:
Most of what your saying is true; but if you look at all the pictures there are a couple that give off a bad image. I wasn't there so I don't have the context of everything but we live in a world of perception is reality and the perception is he was acting in a way unbecoming of his position. Add in the fact all the problems with this specific position ECU has had in the recent past doesn't help. I seriously doubt he was out there trolling for co-eds, but the narrative is being painted with a different brush.
There’s maybe one unflattering picture, and the girl in it was kicked out of the same bar later in the night for things unrelated to the chancellor. And I’d actually argue this is exactly what a chancellor at ECU given the failure of the past handful needs to do. There’s been zero involvement from that position in the community and that’s not going to get the job done in Greenville. And no I’m not saying all that’s needed is the chancellor going out and boozing on the town. He did zero wrong and it’s unfortunate these are the times we live in.

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:03 pm

BeauFoster wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:59 pm
The only thing I saw in the article that gives me pause is the "inappropriate touching" bit. But there was no elaboration, so perhaps people think he shouldn't put his arm around students/alums.

There was a hammered co-ed that was a little too forward with the guy and he didn’t want to come off as being a jerk, something I can understand completely, though I’m sure he’ll handle it differently next time around. Just a shame you get suspended for such innocuous actions these days.

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:07 pm

Yosef10 wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:03 pm
BeauFoster wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:59 pm

There was a hammered co-ed that was a little too forward with the guy and he didn’t want to come off as being a jerk, something I can understand completely, though I’m sure he’ll handle it differently next time around. Just a shame you get suspended for such innocuous actions these days.
I looked at a couple of the pictures, but haven't watched any of the videos. Either way, if that's the extent of it, then someone is making a big deal out of nothing.
Give 'em hell!

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:11 pm

Yosef10 wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:01 pm
NavyApp wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:30 pm
Yosef10 wrote:
There’s maybe one unflattering picture, and the girl in it was kicked out of the same bar later in the night for things unrelated to the chancellor. And I’d actually argue this is exactly what a chancellor at ECU given the failure of the past handful needs to do. There’s been zero involvement from that position in the community and that’s not going to get the job done in Greenville. And no I’m not saying all that’s needed is the chancellor going out and boozing on the town. He did zero wrong and it’s unfortunate these are the times we live in.
Like I said I was not there so I can not comment on his interactions that evening. However I do live in the ECU footprint and there has been a lot distress regarding the leadership at that University. It is definitely weird times at ECU these days, and I believe there is more at play than just this incident.
FREQS AND GEEKS!

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:13 pm

I think I've seen all the video and photos from different sources. I really don't understand how anyone could see what I saw and conclude that his conduct was inappropriate.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:20 pm

moonshine wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:46 pm
Yosef10 wrote:
Agreed unless one of the co-eds filed a complaint. We all loved Peacock being App's biggest fan and approachable. I know he wasn't a Chancellor but IIRC, we appreciated Coach Fox going to the Tapp Room after games early in his tenure trying to drum up interest in App's b-ball program. We'd probably be giving kudos to Everts if she was seen out at a local watering hole with the students.

I guess the "chugging" of beer doesn't look great but seems like a bunch of nothing to me.
I think you hit it with the "chugging" mention. Having a drink at a bar I don't think is a big deal, but the chugging and drunken dancing is crossing the line. At least what you can see from that short video. No way should he be encouraging or modeling binge drinking, especially at a university and the drunken dancing...OMG. He shouldn't have put himself in that situation with his position. It's not just how you are, but how you're perceived to be that's important.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:38 pm

I've seen enough old people dancing at weddings to know there's no discerning "dancing" from "drunken dancing." The chug was the only thing that might be border line, in my opinion, and I really don't think that rises to the level of being sacked from your position.

appchicago

Unread post by appchicago » Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:46 pm

I've seen a few articles on this now and I've yet to encounter anyone who seems offended, scandalized, or even slightly bothered by this.

I met Gerlach briefly once, and he's a fairly gregarious guy. I'm not exactly sure where he's from, but he reminded me of a number of midwestern dudes I've shared a beer with through the years. But he's sharp and he did a lot of good for rural NC--particularly eastern NC--in his work with the Golden Leaf Foundation.

If he's going to be strung up for this, I'd like to see a clear picture of who has been harmed or even seriously offended.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:42 pm

If this is political and deals with the current UNC BOG, I wouldn't be surprised. The current board aren't worth the seats they sit in.

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:42 pm

The UNC BOG is so mad that App beat UNC they decided to fire the ECU chancellor 😛
Give 'em hell!

Appftw

Unread post by Appftw » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:17 pm

The chugging and dancing aren’t bad in and of themselves, but when you hold that position and are wearing clothes that directly represent the university at the time, it’s just too much. Viral moments like this are PR nightmares. Think of the embarrassment if this were DG in full black and gold. Talk about a bad look.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”