Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Louisville and Conley

ericsaid
School: Appalachian State

Re: Louisville and Conley

Unread post by ericsaid » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:14 am

AppStFan1 wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:19 pm
WVAPPeer wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:12 pm
The Rock wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:05 pm
WVAPPeer wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:18 pm
The Rock wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:11 pm
I think a lot of people thought Conley had a chance at playing this year, but saying it was the right decision for him to follow satt is a bit premature at this point.
Personally I will be surprised if he plays past this year once satt gets his choice at an ACC level an recruit. He was already down the depth chart and had to get injuries to get in. He is making the most of his opportunity, but if he has another 1-2 guys in front of him before his sophomore year, is it really a good move at that point?
Did you watch the game? - my point is he is playing ACC ball as a true freshman - he wasn't going to beat out Thomas this year or next -
Right, and my point is he could have been a 3 year starter for App instead of a backup for part of a season for UL then buried on the depth chart for the next 3 years.
If it was my kid, I would rather him have an outstanding sophomore junior and senior season as a starter rather than a few good appearances his true freshman season and never get an opportunity after that.
I said exactly this in December. Satt would use him as a crutch this year and after he gets his guy in, we won’t hear from Conley any more.
I wouldn’t be surprised if he ends up transferring after next year if he is 2-3 on the depth chart.
Just wondering if you watched the Louisville ,.WF game tonight?
Conley is clearly the future in Louisville and it is crazy because he was going to redshirt at App and be our backup in 2020. Could you imagine how good we would be with him in 2021 if we replaced Sutton, Evans, etc with equal talent? Conley is going to be a good one if he stays healthy.
As crazy as it sounds, I think Drink is going to have more talent, overall, than many people expected. He was labeled a "bad recruiter" when hired but App's average commitment rating is the highest it's been. Obviously stars don't mean everything and margins are slim, but App seems to be in good hands with recruiting.

Also not convinced that App doesn't have better QB's than Conley on the roster now. Obviously we wouldn't know because there hasn't been much garbage time play, but Huesman looked good in Drinks offense in his limited time, other people who have observed practice could shed some light on ability of players further down the depth chart.

APPRIDE

Unread post by APPRIDE » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:29 am

ericsaid wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:14 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
WVAPPeer wrote:
The Rock wrote:
WVAPPeer wrote:

Did you watch the game? - my point is he is playing ACC ball as a true freshman - he wasn't going to beat out Thomas this year or next -
Right, and my point is he could have been a 3 year starter for App instead of a backup for part of a season for UL then buried on the depth chart for the next 3 years.
If it was my kid, I would rather him have an outstanding sophomore junior and senior season as a starter rather than a few good appearances his true freshman season and never get an opportunity after that.
I said exactly this in December. Satt would use him as a crutch this year and after he gets his guy in, we won’t hear from Conley any more.
I wouldn’t be surprised if he ends up transferring after next year if he is 2-3 on the depth chart.
Conley is clearly the future in Louisville and it is crazy because he was going to redshirt at App and be our backup in 2020. Could you imagine how good we would be with him in 2021 if we replaced Sutton, Evans, etc with equal talent? Conley is going to be a good one if he stays healthy.
As crazy as it sounds, I think Drink is going to have more talent, overall, than many people expected. He was labeled a "bad recruiter" when hired but App's average commitment rating is the highest it's been. Obviously stars don't mean everything and margins are slim, but App seems to be in good hands with recruiting.

Also not convinced that App doesn't have better QB's than Conley on the roster now. Obviously we wouldn't know because there hasn't been much garbage time play, but Huesman looked good in Drinks offense in his limited time, other people who have observed practice could shed some light on ability of players further down the depth chart.
He was?

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:29 am

Last year's last minute class was impressive given the circumstances.This year...hopeful , but concerned.We need linemen.Badly.

97APP

Unread post by 97APP » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:37 am

Quite honestly, I had heard he was a good recruiter. At NC State some complained that he only recruited QBs but that was his priority there.
Today I Give My All for Appalachian State

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:43 am

97APP wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:37 am
Quite honestly, I had heard he was a good recruiter. At NC State some complained that he only recruited QBs but that was his priority there.
Who is responsible recruiting our QB Baldwin. Isn't he the highest rated player APP has ever signed?
BLACK SATURDAY

97APP

Unread post by 97APP » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:50 am

Black Saturday wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:43 am
97APP wrote:
Who is responsible recruiting our QB Baldwin. Isn't he the highest rated player APP has ever signed?
I'm sure Drink was highly involved - What QB wouldn't want to play in his system, but I don't follow recruiting closely. Maybe someone here that closely follows recruiting can answer who the primary recruiters were. My statement above was really what I gleaned from other schools message boards when Drink was hired here.
Today I Give My All for Appalachian State

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:04 pm

APPRIDE wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:29 am
ericsaid wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
WVAPPeer wrote:
The Rock wrote:

He was?
I saw it posted a few times. Also heard it from Arkansas State people. Obviously that was a while ago but his reputation certainly wasn't based on his ability to recruit.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:05 pm

Black Saturday wrote:
97APP wrote:
Pretty sure it was Drink. He flew out to California to have an in home visit, I believe.

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:09 pm

Black Saturday wrote:
97APP wrote:
I think Dorsey started it out and then once he decided to leave, Drink stepped in and sealed the deal, if I recall correctly

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:10 pm

ericsaid wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:05 pm
Black Saturday wrote:
97APP wrote:
Pretty sure it was Drink. He flew out to California to have an in home visit, I believe.
Yep, at the Spring Yosef Tour thing he told the story of how you have to stand out to recruits. With DBG, he had pre-arranged it with the kid's father to knock on his door at 12:01 AM on the first day after the quiet period was over. It apparently made an impression. Set him apart from the others courting him...

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:24 pm

We should be getting close enough to seeing Baldwin on the field to get playing time in his four games?
BLACK SATURDAY

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:29 pm

Rick83 wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:10 pm
ericsaid wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:05 pm
Black Saturday wrote:
97APP wrote:
Yep, at the Spring Yosef Tour thing he told the story of how you have to stand out to recruits. With DBG, he had pre-arranged it with the kid's father to knock on his door at 12:01 AM on the first day after the quiet period was over. It apparently made an impression. Set him apart from the others courting him...
Tells you how much Drink thinks about the kid. Assuming he wins the starting job when it opens up, getting to sit behind Zac and be in meeting rooms with Drink should have him ready to go out of the gate.

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:42 pm

Black Saturday wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:24 pm
We should be getting close enough to seeing Baldwin on the field to get playing time in his four games?
Just because he can play 4 doesn’t mean he will. Cant really get backups in at QB unless there’s a blowout, and I’d imagine we’ll see Huesman in those instances. I would be surprised if we were to see DBG in action this year.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:54 pm

ericsaid wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
WVAPPeer wrote:
The Rock wrote:
WVAPPeer wrote:

My point on Conley was that he would not even start this year at App and was not better than Thomas at this point. Huesman may end up being a really good one but he has not played enough to know yet.

I know he is getting players with higher points but we won't know until we see them on the field and our true freshmen this year are 75% Scott's guys. Next year we should start to see how good these guys are. I'm optimistic. He has connections so I do expect the talent to continue to improve.

I never go by stars or ratings though because at the G5 level it is not as accurate. Our best players ended up being the guys who were among lowest rated. Go look at the rating compared to rest of class for Brian Quick, Jalin Moore, Marcus Cox, Colby Gossett, Camerun Peoples, etc. :lol:

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:00 pm

ericsaid wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:04 pm
APPRIDE wrote:
ericsaid wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
WVAPPeer wrote:

He was?
I saw it posted a few times. Also heard it from Arkansas State people. Obviously that was a while ago but his reputation certainly wasn't based on his ability to recruit.
You need better sources than a couple of keyboard warriors and some here-say.

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:38 pm

The Rock wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:09 pm
Black Saturday wrote:
97APP wrote:
I think Dorsey started it out and then once he decided to leave, Drink stepped in and sealed the deal, if I recall correctly
I had already forgotten the whole Dorsey fiasco

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:44 pm

WASU 93 wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:38 pm
The Rock wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:09 pm
Black Saturday wrote:
97APP wrote:
I had already forgotten the whole Dorsey fiasco
Dorsey? Wasn’t that the blue fish in that Nemo movie?

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:39 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:00 pm
ericsaid wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:04 pm
APPRIDE wrote:
ericsaid wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:

He was?
You need better sources than a couple of keyboard warriors and some here-say.
I'm not in the Good Ol' Boy's club so my "sources" are what I read from programs people have been at. Can't exactly call up Gus Malzahn at Auburn to ask his opinion...

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:42 am

AppStFan1 wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:54 pm
ericsaid wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
WVAPPeer wrote:
The Rock wrote:

My point on Conley was that he would not even start this year at App and was not better than Thomas at this point. Huesman may end up being a really good one but he has not played enough to know yet.

I know he is getting players with higher points but we won't know until we see them on the field and our true freshmen this year are 75% Scott's guys. Next year we should start to see how good these guys are. I'm optimistic. He has connections so I do expect the talent to continue to improve.

I never go by stars or ratings though because at the G5 level it is not as accurate. Our best players ended up being the guys who were among lowest rated. Go look at the rating compared to rest of class for Brian Quick, Jalin Moore, Marcus Cox, Colby Gossett, Camerun Peoples, etc. :lol:
I haven't seen enough of Peoples to make a judgement on his recruiting rating. Jalin Moore was likely rated where he should've been considering his size coming out of high school, same goes for Cox. Brian Quick was also correct considering he hasn't played football really prior to getting to App.

Physical stature is certainly a factor in recruiting rankings though. If you go back and re-rank recruits based on actual production, you likely get a better idea of how good a recruiting class actually was. But that ties into what most people already say, "wait a few years and we will see". However, for the guys who are already more physically developed coming out, you can get a better read on what they will be in college. App is getting some of those guys now, like Anderson and Ross.

ArmantiWaterSafety

Unread post by ArmantiWaterSafety » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:49 am

Black Saturday wrote:
97APP wrote:
Not quite highest rated, second though. Highest is a 2020 guy, Tommy Wright.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”