Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Louisville and Conley

AppStFan1
School: Appalachian State

Re: Louisville and Conley

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:08 am

ericsaid wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:42 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:54 pm
ericsaid wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:14 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:19 pm
WVAPPeer wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:12 pm

Just wondering if you watched the Louisville ,.WF game tonight?
Conley is clearly the future in Louisville and it is crazy because he was going to redshirt at App and be our backup in 2020. Could you imagine how good we would be with him in 2021 if we replaced Sutton, Evans, etc with equal talent? Conley is going to be a good one if he stays healthy.
As crazy as it sounds, I think Drink is going to have more talent, overall, than many people expected. He was labeled a "bad recruiter" when hired but App's average commitment rating is the highest it's been. Obviously stars don't mean everything and margins are slim, but App seems to be in good hands with recruiting.

Also not convinced that App doesn't have better QB's than Conley on the roster now. Obviously we wouldn't know because there hasn't been much garbage time play, but Huesman looked good in Drinks offense in his limited time, other people who have observed practice could shed some light on ability of players further down the depth chart.
My point on Conley was that he would not even start this year at App and was not better than Thomas at this point. Huesman may end up being a really good one but he has not played enough to know yet.

I know he is getting players with higher points but we won't know until we see them on the field and our true freshmen this year are 75% Scott's guys. Next year we should start to see how good these guys are. I'm optimistic. He has connections so I do expect the talent to continue to improve.

I never go by stars or ratings though because at the G5 level it is not as accurate. Our best players ended up being the guys who were among lowest rated. Go look at the rating compared to rest of class for Brian Quick, Jalin Moore, Marcus Cox, Colby Gossett, Camerun Peoples, etc. :lol:
I haven't seen enough of Peoples to make a judgement on his recruiting rating. Jalin Moore was likely rated where he should've been considering his size coming out of high school, same goes for Cox. Brian Quick was also correct considering he hasn't played football really prior to getting to App.

Physical stature is certainly a factor in recruiting rankings though. If you go back and re-rank recruits based on actual production, you likely get a better idea of how good a recruiting class actually was. But that ties into what most people already say, "wait a few years and we will see". However, for the guys who are already more physically developed coming out, you can get a better read on what they will be in college. App is getting some of those guys now, like Anderson and Ross.
Peoples is clearly a freak of a talent. Jalin Moore's film was real good as well. Size should not matter at RB unless a guy is 5'5 160 pounds.

Ask any coach from our staff who got Quick and they will tell you he was a steal that Clemson and UNC and others just missed badly on because he did not play football long. He had a freak senior year in HS. They felt the same about Renfrow, who got 2 stars, because he was a walk-on to a P5. Our coaches thought he had a NFL future possibly back then.

Look at DJ Williams. Look at his ratings when committed to us with only FCS offers. Then he pops up with P5 offers and suddenly becomes a 4 star? We all know his film was freakishly good and the P5 schools were late on him.

Remember Coty Sensabaugh? He was not rated when he was committed to us but then he flips to Clemson and becomes 2 stars. That was before Clemson became what they are now. If he did that today he would be a 85 and 3 stars by 247 easy. Our coaches knew he was a stud and told anyone they were close to that he was.

The problem with stars is they don't look hard at walk-ons and G5 or below offers. Those stars carry a little weight for P5 offers only.

I'm with you on the guys with a better physical stature. We are getting a different type of player now. We use to have maybe 3-4 on our whole roster who look like P5 players physically. Now, we have about 20-30 of them who do. This team is by far the best we ever had.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:19 am

AppStFan1 wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:08 am
ericsaid wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
ericsaid wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:19 pm

Conley is clearly the future in Louisville and it is crazy because he was going to redshirt at App and be our backup in 2020. Could you imagine how good we would be with him in 2021 if we replaced Sutton, Evans, etc with equal talent? Conley is going to be a good one if he stays healthy.
As crazy as it sounds, I think Drink is going to have more talent, overall, than many people expected. He was labeled a "bad recruiter" when hired but App's average commitment rating is the highest it's been. Obviously stars don't mean everything and margins are slim, but App seems to be in good hands with recruiting.

Also not convinced that App doesn't have better QB's than Conley on the roster now. Obviously we wouldn't know because there hasn't been much garbage time play, but Huesman looked good in Drinks offense in his limited time, other people who have observed practice could shed some light on ability of players further down the depth chart.
My point on Conley was that he would not even start this year at App and was not better than Thomas at this point. Huesman may end up being a really good one but he has not played enough to know yet.

I know he is getting players with higher points but we won't know until we see them on the field and our true freshmen this year are 75% Scott's guys. Next year we should start to see how good these guys are. I'm optimistic. He has connections so I do expect the talent to continue to improve.

I never go by stars or ratings though because at the G5 level it is not as accurate. Our best players ended up being the guys who were among lowest rated. Go look at the rating compared to rest of class for Brian Quick, Jalin Moore, Marcus Cox, Colby Gossett, Camerun Peoples, etc. :lol:
I haven't seen enough of Peoples to make a judgement on his recruiting rating. Jalin Moore was likely rated where he should've been considering his size coming out of high school, same goes for Cox. Brian Quick was also correct considering he hasn't played football really prior to getting to App.

Physical stature is certainly a factor in recruiting rankings though. If you go back and re-rank recruits based on actual production, you likely get a better idea of how good a recruiting class actually was. But that ties into what most people already say, "wait a few years and we will see". However, for the guys who are already more physically developed coming out, you can get a better read on what they will be in college. App is getting some of those guys now, like Anderson and Ross.
Peoples is clearly a freak of a talent. Jalin Moore's film was real good as well. Size should not matter at RB unless a guy is 5'5 160 pounds.

Ask any coach from our staff who got Quick and they will tell you he was a steal that Clemson and UNC and others just missed badly on because he did not play football long. He had a freak senior year in HS. They felt the same about Renfrow, who got 2 stars, because he was a walk-on to a P5. Our coaches thought he had a NFL future possibly back then.

Look at DJ Williams. Look at his ratings when committed to us with only FCS offers. Then he pops up with P5 offers and suddenly becomes a 4 star? We all know his film was freakishly good and the P5 schools were late on him.

Remember Coty Sensabaugh? He was not rated when he was committed to us but then he flips to Clemson and becomes 2 stars. That was before Clemson became what they are now. If he did that today he would be a 85 and 3 stars by 247 easy. Our coaches knew he was a stud and told anyone they were close to that he was.

The problem with stars is they don't look hard at walk-ons and G5 or below offers. Those stars carry a little weight for P5 offers only.

I'm with you on the guys with a better physical stature. We are getting a different type of player now. We use to have maybe 3-4 on our whole roster who look like P5 players physically. Now, we have about 20-30 of them who do. This team is by far the best we ever had.
I agree with you on how guys turned out. I also agree on the star ratings changing based on commitment. But I think there is something to be said for four stars who remain four stars and their size coming out.

What someone has to do when looking at these is see the position. WR, RB, & DB's are going to be from a huge pool and the margin of talent is often much slimmer once you get from lower 4 star to top 2 star guys. It becomes incredibly subjective and a part of the evaluation includes offers, I suppose.

I think DBG would've been bumped back up to a four star had he ended up at a P5 school as well. The fact he committed to App cemented his rating as a three star guy. His film looks comparable (as a junior) to other 4 star guys. Same goes for Evan Conley except I don't think Conley has the same ceiling as DBG does.

Regardless, it's subjective. Context matters based on position. An defensive end who is 6'5 270 lbs out of high school is almost certainly going to be more game ready out of the gate than a guy like Taylor who was 6'2 230. But, give him 2 years and you get a monster in comparable talent but without the height.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:37 am

All of that stuff is a crapshoot. I think we have a defensive end commit from my area. I am familiar with his school and competition. I have no idea how he will pan out. He is probably a 2-3 star. There is another kid at my boys school who is committed to NC State. He is probably 6’5” 230ish. Plays some defensive end and tight end. They never throw to him and he does ok on defense. He might not ever play if ends up at State. Smart young man and a good basketball player. I don’t see P5 but who knows? Might be recruited for size and potential.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:42 am

ericsaid wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:19 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
ericsaid wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
ericsaid wrote:

I agree with you on how guys turned out. I also agree on the star ratings changing based on commitment. But I think there is something to be said for four stars who remain four stars and their size coming out.

What someone has to do when looking at these is see the position. WR, RB, & DB's are going to be from a huge pool and the margin of talent is often much slimmer once you get from lower 4 star to top 2 star guys. It becomes incredibly subjective and a part of the evaluation includes offers, I suppose.

I think DBG would've been bumped back up to a four star had he ended up at a P5 school as well. The fact he committed to App cemented his rating as a three star guy. His film looks comparable (as a junior) to other 4 star guys. Same goes for Evan Conley except I don't think Conley has the same ceiling as DBG does.

Regardless, it's subjective. Context matters based on position. An defensive end who is 6'5 270 lbs out of high school is almost certainly going to be more game ready out of the gate than a guy like Taylor who was 6'2 230. But, give him 2 years and you get a monster in comparable talent but without the height.
Yes, we just don't get 4-star guys with size. Maybe one day but our staff has to project for most part. I think Baldwin has a shot to be real good but we will see. Definitely has a high ceiling. Luckily, he can sit this year and won't have to start until 2021 so he has time to be where he should. Stephon Brown had a huge ceiling and we saw how that worked out. Hopefully that does not happen with Baldwin.

Trock44

Unread post by Trock44 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:12 pm

The Rock wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:05 pm
WVAPPeer wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:18 pm
The Rock wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:11 pm
I think a lot of people thought Conley had a chance at playing this year, but saying it was the right decision for him to follow satt is a bit premature at this point.
Personally I will be surprised if he plays past this year once satt gets his choice at an ACC level an recruit. He was already down the depth chart and had to get injuries to get in. He is making the most of his opportunity, but if he has another 1-2 guys in front of him before his sophomore year, is it really a good move at that point?
Did you watch the game? - my point is he is playing ACC ball as a true freshman - he wasn't going to beat out Thomas this year or next -
Right, and my point is he could have been a 3 year starter for App instead of a backup for part of a season for UL then buried on the depth chart for the next 3 years.
If it was my kid, I would rather him have an outstanding sophomore junior and senior season as a starter rather than a few good appearances his true freshman season and never get an opportunity after that.
I said exactly this in December. Satt would use him as a crutch this year and after he gets his guy in, we won’t hear from Conley any more.
I wouldn’t be surprised if he ends up transferring after next year if he is 2-3 on the depth chart.
Who knows if he would have been a 3 year starter at App? We have a freshman QB who had a ton of P5 offers that played at IMG Academy. Navy Shuler who looks really good on film is a commit for the 2020 class, so there is really no way to tell if he would start if he didn’t follow Satt to UL.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:22 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:37 am
All of that stuff is a crapshoot. I think we have a defensive end commit from my area. I am familiar with his school and competition. I have no idea how he will pan out. He is probably a 2-3 star. There is another kid at my boys school who is committed to NC State. He is probably 6’5” 230ish. Plays some defensive end and tight end. They never throw to him and he does ok on defense. He might not ever play if ends up at State. Smart young man and a good basketball player. I don’t see P5 but who knows? Might be recruited for size and potential.
Are you referring to the kid from Terry Sanford?

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:16 pm

ericsaid wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:39 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:00 pm
ericsaid wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:04 pm
APPRIDE wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:29 am
ericsaid wrote:

He was?
I saw it posted a few times. Also heard it from Arkansas State people. Obviously that was a while ago but his reputation certainly wasn't based on his ability to recruit.
You need better sources than a couple of keyboard warriors and some here-say.
I'm not in the Good Ol' Boy's club so my "sources" are what I read from programs people have been at. Can't exactly call up Gus Malzahn at Auburn to ask his opinion...
You don’t need to be in a club to get information. You just need to discriminate truth from opinion before stating that someone was labeled as anything. When you have multiple people within the industry going on record saying the exact opposite of what you are posting, coupled with what he has done to this point at App, it doesn’t make help your look.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:32 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:16 pm
ericsaid wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:39 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:00 pm
ericsaid wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:04 pm
APPRIDE wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:29 am

He was?
I saw it posted a few times. Also heard it from Arkansas State people. Obviously that was a while ago but his reputation certainly wasn't based on his ability to recruit.
You need better sources than a couple of keyboard warriors and some here-say.
I'm not in the Good Ol' Boy's club so my "sources" are what I read from programs people have been at. Can't exactly call up Gus Malzahn at Auburn to ask his opinion...
You don’t need to be in a club to get information. You just need to discriminate truth from opinion before stating that someone was labeled as anything. When you have multiple people within the industry going on record saying the exact opposite of what you are posting, coupled with what he has done to this point at App, it doesn’t make help your look.
What I read...is what I read. I didn't see much in his recruiting profile on 247 to suggest he was a bad recruiter. I didn't quite believe he could possibly be a poor recruiter after hearing interviews and the conviction with which he spoke about App.

As for what he has done at App thus far, clearly it wasn't a part of the conversation that started in December. I'm not sure where industry experts spoke about his recruiting prowess so I'm haven't seen what you mention there. I only mentioned what fans of schools he has been at stated. I assume they have some first hand experience with Drink so it seemed viable that they were truthful, if not knowledgeable.

Lastly, it's obvious that the comments weren't truthful or Drink simply didn't have the responsibility to manage recruiting in a way that some definitive conclusions could be drawn.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:35 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:22 pm
bigdaddyg wrote:
Seems like he might be talking about Desmond Evans who is at Lee County and just committed to UNC. Kid is 6'6 240 lbs. I've talked to someone who has coached against his basketball team and they said he is every bit the athlete he is being projected as. Had offers from every major annual playoff contender as well.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:39 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:42 am
ericsaid wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
ericsaid wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:

Yes, we just don't get 4-star guys with size. Maybe one day but our staff has to project for most part. I think Baldwin has a shot to be real good but we will see. Definitely has a high ceiling. Luckily, he can sit this year and won't have to start until 2021 so he has time to be where he should. Stephon Brown had a huge ceiling and we saw how that worked out. Hopefully that does not happen with Baldwin.
I'm not in the know but didn't that come mostly from attitude and actions? Seems like Baldwin has a different demeanor than did Brown and is very serious about football. I doubt his parents would've paid for him to go to IMG Academy if he didn't have his focus where it needed to be. His departure from Upland didn't go over well with their coach, based on what I've read, but that isn't indicative of other information out there.

The good thing about Baldwin being such a highly touted recruit while in California is that there is quite a bit of information out there. The Baseline League is also competitive (far more so than any NC Class) so there are quite a few quality athletes that come out of there. A guy who was rumored to be following Baldwin to IMG ended up staying at Upland and has offers from every major college, including Clemson. Few others in the Baseline league are pretty highly touted as well.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:07 pm

ericsaid wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:35 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
bigdaddyg wrote:
Seems like he might be talking about Desmond Evans who is at Lee County and just committed to UNC. Kid is 6'6 240 lbs. I've talked to someone who has coached against his basketball team and they said he is every bit the athlete he is being projected as. Had offers from every major annual playoff contender as well.
First off, he said State, not UNC. Secondly, DG doesn’t live in Sanford, he lives in Fayetteville. He is most likely referring to Ezemdi Udoh. Please stay in your lane.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:21 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:07 pm
ericsaid wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
bigdaddyg wrote:
First off, he said State, not UNC. Secondly, DG doesn’t live in Sanford, he lives in Fayetteville. He is most likely referring to Ezemdi Udoh. Please stay in your lane.
Well his description essentially described Evans, other than the NC State thing. App has a commitment from Lee County and Evans happens to be 6'6 230'ish. Believe he plays both ways, and plays basketball. Wasn't too far off the yellow line, was it?

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:41 pm

ericsaid wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:21 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
ericsaid wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
bigdaddyg wrote:
Well his description essentially described Evans, other than the NC State thing. App has a commitment from Lee County and Evans happens to be 6'6 230'ish. Believe he plays both ways, and plays basketball. Wasn't too far off the yellow line, was it?
https://images.app.goo.gl/n3rGDKc34VLXeej29

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:50 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:41 pm
ericsaid wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:21 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
ericsaid wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

https://images.app.goo.gl/n3rGDKc34VLXeej29
Now look, if you take what I said into account, it isn't that farfetched. Didn't know the person I was responding to lived in Fayateville either.

Regardless, I was wrong here.

Happy?

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:35 pm

ericsaid wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:39 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:42 am
ericsaid wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
ericsaid wrote:

I'm not in the know but didn't that come mostly from attitude and actions? Seems like Baldwin has a different demeanor than did Brown and is very serious about football. I doubt his parents would've paid for him to go to IMG Academy if he didn't have his focus where it needed to be. His departure from Upland didn't go over well with their coach, based on what I've read, but that isn't indicative of other information out there.

The good thing about Baldwin being such a highly touted recruit while in California is that there is quite a bit of information out there. The Baseline League is also competitive (far more so than any NC Class) so there are quite a few quality athletes that come out of there. A guy who was rumored to be following Baldwin to IMG ended up staying at Upland and has offers from every major college, including Clemson. Few others in the Baseline league are pretty highly touted as well.
Yes, Brown was due to actions. My point was that you just do not know for sure. I think Baldwin has a better head on his shoulders. I certainly hope he does. Time will tell.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”