Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Arkansas fires HC

EastHallApp
School: Appalachian State

Re: Arkansas fires HC

Unread post by EastHallApp » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:52 pm

I'm pretty sure if the Panthers offered Drink their job tomorrow, we'd have people on this board saying he should hold out for the Cowboys.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:55 pm

As far as the risk of failure, Drink's in the same position Satt was last year, only he's 10 years younger: What if he goes to Arkansas and they fire him in two years?

Well then, he's got $15 million or whatever in the bank before he turns 40, and he's a free agent coach who'll have his pick of plenty of appealing P5 OC or G5 HC jobs.

AppInDC

Unread post by AppInDC » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:56 pm

ah59396 wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:48 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:43 pm
I don’t disagree with what your saying, but I don’t think Drink would be interested in Ark under these circumstances. They gave Morris less than two years to clean up the mess and let him go before he can turn it around. Now if I am Drink, Arkansas is an intriguing job to me because it is close to family. However, if they are going to have a short leash on me, do I want to move my family there now with a greater probability that we could be on the move again in two years because the base is impatient, or do I wait for a more stable situation that migh provided a more long term stay?
I think you’re setting yourself up for disappointment if you believe this.

No person in their right mind would turn down the contract he’d be offered. We are talking life changing money.

What he makes now is obviously awesome, but like with Satt, Arkansas can offer Drink a $20-$30m contract. That’s “set your great-grandkids up for life” money.

And, like with Satt, there’s no waiting in coaching. Strike when the iron is hot. Every great coach is a bad season or two away from being fired and they know it.
According to USA Today, App currently pays Drinkwitz $750,000. Arkansas was paying their coach $4 million. https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/

If someone comes along and says they'll pay you more than 5x your current salary, you're going to listen to them very closely.

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:59 pm

AppInDC wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:56 pm
ah59396 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
I don’t disagree with what your saying, but I don’t think Drink would be interested in Ark under these circumstances. They gave Morris less than two years to clean up the mess and let him go before he can turn it around. Now if I am Drink, Arkansas is an intriguing job to me because it is close to family. However, if they are going to have a short leash on me, do I want to move my family there now with a greater probability that we could be on the move again in two years because the base is impatient, or do I wait for a more stable situation that migh provided a more long term stay?

No person in their right mind would turn down the contract he’d be offered. We are talking life changing money.

What he makes now is obviously awesome, but like with Satt, Arkansas can offer Drink a $20-$30m contract. That’s “set your great-grandkids up for life” money.

And, like with Satt, there’s no waiting in coaching. Strike when the iron is hot. Every great coach is a bad season or two away from being fired and they know it.
According to USA Today, App currently pays Drinkwitz $750,000. Arkansas was paying their coach $4 million. https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/

If someone comes along and says they'll pay you more than 5x your current salary, you're going to listen to them very closely.
I'll listen for 5% more. You offer me 5x more and I'll run over my own mother on the way out the door.
Give 'em hell!

AppInDC

Unread post by AppInDC » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:05 pm

BeauFoster wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:59 pm
AppInDC wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:56 pm
ah59396 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

I'll listen for 5% more. You offer me 5x more and I'll run over my own mother on the way out the door.
I don't have any insight into the decision and perhaps some of the people on here saying Drinkwitz would try to wait for a more desirable opportunity are correct. But I remember hearing that Satterfield would never leave because of the App connection. Well he got a monster salary upgrade and he left. And understandably so! Drinkwitz doesn't even have the App connection. I also think Arkansas is a desirable job opportunity especially for someone who only has head coaching experience at a G5. Razorbacks have been bad but remember they are in a P5 conference and arguably the one that gets the most love and attention from the college football fanbase. Arkansas also had several double digit win seasons this decade. Any head coach will be paid well and the opportunity is there to compete for major conference titles and perhaps even the playoff.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:15 pm

ah59396 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

Not setting myself up for anything man because it doesn't affect me. Obviously any coach would have to make a decision that is best for him and his family. But anyone coaching at the highest levels, aren't doing it for the money. The money is a fortunate by product to their success moving up. My point is that taking these jobs that come with a lot of ancillary things on a personal level and they have to weigh those options. Arkansas would be a dream job for him to take for his family as it gets them back home. But you have to look at the job. Is it worth going back now because there is a chance that they don't give you long enough to make it worth your while.

For the last comment on Satt. If you knew the entire story of how the Louisville job transpired, you would know how inaccurate your statement is.

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:29 pm

I hope everyone will listen to this hour of the David Glenn show today. I really like Drink. Go Apps! beat the real GSU.

https://curtismediagroup.hipcast.com/do ... 5-3337.m4a
Last edited by Appstate88 on Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

StorminASU

Unread post by StorminASU » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:30 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:15 pm
For the last comment on Satt. If you knew the entire story of how the Louisville job transpired, you would know how inaccurate your statement is.
Well do you have some insight to offer because how is the statement in question wrong?

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:32 pm

If Arkansas offers Drink, he's gone. It's that simple. But there are several reasons I think they won't:
1. They just jettisoned a coach who, less than two years ago, was a hot G5 up-and-comer. I don't think they want to go that route again.
2. I think there are bigger names on their radar who would take the job. Malzahn is an interesting possibility. Leach has done all he can in Pullman.
3. From some reading on the web, Drink is not a Hog lover. That is, apparently, a very big deal in Arkansas.

So, I'm concerned, but I think they have to miss on a few before the call goes out to Drink. If it does, we are a good enough brand now that there will be no shortage of qualified candidates lining up at the gates of KBS wanting to take over.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:40 pm

StorminASU wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:30 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Well do you have some insight to offer because how is the statement in question wrong?
I would like to hear the “ entire story” myself.

AppInDC

Unread post by AppInDC » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:42 pm

appst89 wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:32 pm
If Arkansas offers Drink, he's gone. It's that simple. But there are several reasons I think they won't:
1. They just jettisoned a coach who, less than two years ago, was a hot G5 up-and-comer. I don't think they want to go that route again.
2. I think there are bigger names on their radar who would take the job. Malzahn is an interesting possibility. Leach has done all he can in Pullman.
3. From some reading on the web, Drink is not a Hog lover. That is, apparently, a very big deal in Arkansas.

So, I'm concerned, but I think they have to miss on a few before the call goes out to Drink. If it does, we are a good enough brand now that there will be no shortage of qualified candidates lining up at the gates of KBS wanting to take over.
Not sure the comparison of Chad Morris to Drinkwitz is totally complete. Yes Chad Morris had G5 tenure. But his three seasons at SMU were a combined 14-22. Drinkwitz is 8-1 and could finish with as many as 13 wins in his first season. After his tenure at Arkansas, even with the improvements at SMU, it's easy to say that Morris was very premature. I think it's fair to say Drinkwitz is exceeding high expectations so far and I strongly suspect there will be some interest in him. If not Arkansas, there will be others.

1ASU78

Unread post by 1ASU78 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:15 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:40 pm
StorminASU wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:30 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
I would like to hear the “ entire story” myself.
You may need Paul Harvey for the rest of that story

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:48 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
ah59396 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

Not setting myself up for anything man because it doesn't affect me. Obviously any coach would have to make a decision that is best for him and his family. But anyone coaching at the highest levels, aren't doing it for the money. The money is a fortunate by product to their success moving up. My point is that taking these jobs that come with a lot of ancillary things on a personal level and they have to weigh those options. Arkansas would be a dream job for him to take for his family as it gets them back home. But you have to look at the job. Is it worth going back now because there is a chance that they don't give you long enough to make it worth your while.

That’s fair. To your point, I do not know the full story. I was of the impression that he was offered a power 5 ACC job for a bunch of money and took it. I didn’t know there was other aspects to it.
YNWA

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:33 pm

ah59396 wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:48 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
ah59396 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

That’s fair. To your point, I do not know the full story. I was of the impression that he was offered a power 5 ACC job for a bunch of money and took it. I didn’t know there was other aspects to it.
There is always more to the story. I have no inside knowledge on FSU or Arkansas but in my opinion, you don’t bail on someone in their second year of cleanup because of wins and losses. There has to be more to it. I get that wealthy boosters are called upon to bail athletic programs out of messy contracts, but those guys didn’t get wealthy by throwing money around without some valid reasons.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:38 pm

appst89 wrote:

Exactly. There is much more desirable names Arkansas will go after before making it down the list to Drink, but there is no doubt that Drink is on the list and he would go if offered. I love App State with an unbridled passion, but the money, resources, connections, support...etc...etc that is flowing at the SEC level is something Drink can only dream of. I’ve been to a few SEC games over the years, and there is a reason they are held in higher regard. I hope Drink stays, but I won’t hate the man for leaving. If we keep jettisoning coaches to the next level, our school will continue to be desirable for up and coming talent.
The Appalachian State

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:54 pm

appst89 wrote:

I agree with you. They hired Morris on potential. He had one 7 win season at SMU. They hired him because of his success as an OC at Clemson.

Coach Drink is getting the job done and I am happy that he has smoothly stepped in as Satt’s replacement But, he is still learning the ropes as a Head Coach. I think he Is challenged right now handling both the HC and play calling duties. Hence, we often go ultra conservative. Look how long it took to get Sutton involved against SC. (And, we never got Hennigan involved). That does not mean that he will not get better in managing both roles, but we are not lighting it up offensively right now.

Also, he does not have a year or two of recruiting under his belt. Why would Arkansas pick Drink over any of the successful and longer tenured AAC coaches? Or those fired for not being successful enough? Or, a top SEC Coordinators? Or, someone in the NFL?

I think we are at least 2 to 3 years away from this conversation.

diehardapp18

Unread post by diehardapp18 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:04 pm

So I spent some time on my day off today browsing their forum. I honestly had been thinking Gus Malzahn would end up there. He's knocking on the door of another 8-4 season which eventually won't be good enough anymore for Auburn fans. Considering he played at Arkansas, coached high school ball there, etc. I think the pairing could have made a lot of sense since I also couldn't imagine Arkansas getting anyone better.

However their fans seem to be acting like they won't nothing to do with Gus, a few even said they are wary on Drink because he's a Gus "disciple" whatever tf that means? No idea why they woouldn't love to have Gus who is very much arguably a top 5 SEC coach of the last decade. Most of their fans seem to have their sights set on flashier candidates than Drinkwitz, but then again every fanbase probably overrates how "attractive" their job may or may not be. From an outsiders perspective it sure does look like Arkansas is a dumpster fire right now. There are four teams at a minimum in their own division that have more resources and are stronger on a yearly basis.

Norvell seems to be the darling name for them right now, which makes sense. He also played some college ball in Arkansas so he has ties to the state. I'm not sure if he'd leave Memphis for Arkansas, or hell he could even land a better offer from someone like FSU this offseason.

My off the wall name for that one is Mike Leach. Wazzu is down this year and he seems like the type of guy that wouldn't hate the idea of just taking a fresh start somewhere just because.

If Drink gets offered he'd be insane not to accept. As others have already said it's lifechanging money, even though Arkansas does seem like a blackhole of a job right now.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:25 pm

We will be fine either way.

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:45 am

Quote from South Carolina's Football Message Board: "You may want to get our next HC’s first name right. It’s Eliah", LOL.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:32 am

The Rock wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:44 pm
ComebackShack wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:24 am
Arkansas will want to make a bigger splash than a 1st year head coach at (in their view) a small time G5 school.
You could have said the same thing about Louisville...
Satterfield wasn't a first year head coach.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”