Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

A good read: L'ville, Satt, App.

Oldlknapp
School: Appalachian State

A good read: L'ville, Satt, App.

Unread post by Oldlknapp » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:18 am

Rick83

Re: A good read: L'ville, Satt, App.

Unread post by Rick83 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:43 am

That's a great article. Always glad to see a Mountaineer do well, even if they're off the mountain...

HighPointApp

Unread post by HighPointApp » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:48 am

Oldlknapp wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:18 am
https://www.cardchronicle.com/2019/11/1 ... atterfield

Helps put things in perspective.
Very well written article. I agree about putting things in perspective. Makes me proud as an alumni to see other alumni successful in whatever profession they chose.
Give 'em Hell!
Class of ‘96

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:56 am

That there is a good example of the fan sentiment in Louisville toward Satt. My wife has a couple Uncles (and families) that live in Louisville and went there and are big fans. All they can talk about is how much they love Coach Satt. Making that team bowl eligible is a huge accomplishment and Satt should be very proud.

BTK2000

Unread post by BTK2000 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:25 am

Yeah I have no love for Luis-Ville. Especially after their ad knew nothing about Appalachian when they introduced satt 24 hours after the sunbelt championship game. Satt chased money and I don’t blame him but nor does it make happy. The writer acts acts like satt saw something special In a little ole team that was down and out or something. Nah you cut someone a 5 mill check and that’s all there is to it. IMO their fan base can take their gratefulness to app and shove it

AppinATL

Unread post by AppinATL » Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:30 pm

I still have pretty mixed feelings about all of this. I’ve been pulling for Satt and the staff to succeed up there and have watched some of their games. On the other hand, lets not get too carried away with things. He obviously thought he couldn’t achieve anything else here (he was wrong) and him actually saying that really pissed me off. It was very poorly chosen words. And it was all about the money. If he had been their fifth choice, he would have happily taken it anyway. I’m not saying taking the money grab is right or wrong. Just pointing out that the guy thanking him for not getting his nose bent out of shape over being the second choice is laying out in pretty thick.

AppinATL

Unread post by AppinATL » Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:31 pm

I still have pretty mixed feelings about all of this. I’ve been pulling for Satt and the staff to succeed up there and have watched some of their games. On the other hand, lets not get too carried away with things. He obviously thought he couldn’t achieve anything else here (he was wrong) and him actually saying that really pissed me off. It was very poorly chosen words. And it was all about the money. If he had been their fifth choice, he would have happily taken it anyway. I’m not saying taking the money grab is right or wrong. Just pointing out that the guy thanking him for not getting his nose bent out of shape over being the second choice is laying it on pretty thick.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:55 pm

Under Satt App won three conference championships, went undefeated in all our bowl games, and achieved our first national ranking. Drink has yet to accomplish either of the first two. That's not a dig at Drink, I'm glad he's our coach and think he's done great thus far, but let's not pretend that he has surpassed what we accomplished under the previous staff. He does get plaudits for the two P5 wins, a huge accomplishment. However, he hasn't had to play Penn State or Georgia yet.

I'm not bitter that Satt left and I won't be when Drink leaves, likely for a lot more money.

Oldlknapp

Unread post by Oldlknapp » Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:10 pm

At this point in time, it seems that we have (maybe) become a "training" or "proving grounds" for future big time P5 school coaches. And that is not really such a bad place to be.

We expect our coaches to consistently win the conference, bowl games and knock of a P5 on a regular basis. And if a P5 is going to make our coach a $3+ million offer, the P5 will expect him to have consistently won the conference, bowl games and knock of a P5 on a regular basis for 3 - 5 years.

Again, we're kinda in a sweet spot. Yes, we'll have to "reload" every 5 years or so. But to see our "coach product" compete very will with the "big boys" does my old heart good. I believe in a year or two, Satt. will knock off Clemson and consistently be at the top of the ACC. And although I like Clemson, I for one will be cheering Satt on.

It's important to keep the endowment growing as expenses and salaries continue to go up. But on a practical note, we haven't had enough years to really "build up" a huge endowment. For example, Louisville has a 100 year head start on us at building an endowment. So while we're on our way, we're not going to get to the point of offering a coach a 7 figure salary this year - or maybe even next year.

Finally, our heritage is "ASTC". Our specialty was (and is) training teachers, administrators and coaches. It seems only natural that we would also be training future big time P5 coaches.

LETS BE 1-0 THIS WEEK!!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”