Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

UNC - Coach Williams Translation

Rekdiver
School: Appalachian State

Re: UNC - Coach Williams Translation

Unread post by Rekdiver » Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:09 pm

Roy is frustrated that the players aren’t putting in the effort or doing the things they are being coached to do. I see no reason to be bashing him or those of us that will occasionally watch a game. As my favorite prisoner said “Don’t be so obtuse”

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:27 pm

OK - I am not an APP grad but my daughter and son-in-law are - I am partial I admit but the 2 App grads in our family have done more and been more successful than their friends who attended unc-ch - I know my sample is limited but I bet you guys can add to it ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:54 pm

spacemonkey wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:22 pm
"I can only win if i have 1st round NBA talent"

He is the most OVER-RATED coach of all time.
No hate here. I just feel he is over-rated. Line up 10 players at a gym give me the three best players of the 10 and I will beat you 10 out of 10 times.

On a side note, how you can tell a good basketball coach is watch what happens after a time out. A good coach will get a high percentage score out of the time out. Dean Smith was the best I was ever lucky enough to watch. Coach K pretty darn good at it too. Davidson's coach really good. Virginia's really good. No hate here.

Coach Williams lets his team play like they are on a NY playground. When they need a coach type play his teams struggle.

Go App.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:58 am

Rekdiver wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:09 pm
Roy is frustrated that the players aren’t putting in the effort or doing the things they are being coached to do. I see no reason to be bashing him or those of us that will occasionally watch a game. As my favorite prisoner said “Don’t be so obtuse”
I joke about hating UNC but it's mostly joking. I definitely do not pull for them but I have nothing personal against Roy. He's obviously a good coach. That said, it's his job to keep the team motivated and disciplined. That's a bit part of coaching. Usually that happens within the team environment and not by using the media to criticize them. Using public forums to critize your own team just seem shabby, but I'm not aware of this being an ongoing thing or a trend. Maybe he just let his mouth get ahead of his brain. I know I've done that before.

Roy isn't used to being frustrated. Honestly, it's kind of fun to see UNC struggle in basketball for a change. With the recruits they attract and the money they spend, there's just really no excuse for it.

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:44 am

I HATE UNC. Not joking, I HATE them. Nothing makes me smile more than a Carolina loss. I like watching Roy lose, I think his “vertigo” bouts on the court are BS and a distraction ploy.
With that being said, I can’t hate Roy Williams. He is a bit of a goober but a good coach and one who doesn’t sugar coat things or blame refs for losses.
The post game quotes from the other night were (hilarious to me) a brutally honest reaction to the loss. I do think he went too far on his radio interview days later when he said this was the least gifted team he had coached. Pre-season he had one of the higher ranked recruiting classes in the ACC, and a high ranking the first few weeks of the season. The loss of Anthony is big, but should not have affected the team as much as it has. The fact that it has is on Roy, IMO.
One thing that has alway impressed me about coach K is, they always have a great team. He may not get to a final 4 every year but Duke is always in the tournament. UNC tends to be a little more streaky with a championship team then a rebuilding period

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:13 am

The Rock wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:44 am
I HATE UNC. Not joking, I HATE them. Nothing makes me smile more than a Carolina loss. I like watching Roy lose, I think his “vertigo” bouts on the court are BS and a distraction ploy.
With that being said, I can’t hate Roy Williams. He is a bit of a goober but a good coach and one who doesn’t sugar coat things or blame refs for losses.
The post game quotes from the other night were (hilarious to me) a brutally honest reaction to the loss. I do think he went too far on his radio interview days later when he said this was the least gifted team he had coached. Pre-season he had one of the higher ranked recruiting classes in the ACC, and a high ranking the first few weeks of the season. The loss of Anthony is big, but should not have affected the team as much as it has. The fact that it has is on Roy, IMO.
One thing that has alway impressed me about coach K is, they always have a great team. He may not get to a final 4 every year but Duke is always in the tournament. UNC tends to be a little more streaky with a championship team then a rebuilding period
I don’t watch a great deal of college basketball anymore and yes, I root for Carolina over anyone not App. But to me, the loss of Anthony isn’t the problem. This spiral started when he was recruited to play. Nothing against the kid himself, I don’t know him personally, but in the games that I have watched, it seems like his teammates stand around on offense and watch him instead of moving. Roy’s offense is too always be in transition. Whether the basket was made or missed, the ball doesn’t hit the floor more than 4 times between baskets. If you stop the transition and force them into half court sets, you can beat them. They are lost without Anthony because they never learned to play with him. That is on the coach.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:16 am

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:58 pm

Now CHeat can’t even beat Clemson at home. That was as certain as a tennis ball hitting a brick wall bouncing back instead of breaking through said wall. :?
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

CheckYosef94

Unread post by CheckYosef94 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:11 pm

It's harder to when games when your players actually have to go to class
The mountains are calling and I must go

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:15 pm

AppinVA wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:58 pm
Now CHeat can’t even beat Clemson at home. That was as certain as a tennis ball hitting a brick wall bouncing back instead of breaking through said wall. :?
Getting through that wall - It's called tunneling.

https://www.britannica.com/science/tunneling
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:19 pm

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:15 pm
AppinVA wrote:

So...Clemson’s victory is backed up by science. I’ve just been applying “due theory”.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:57 pm

AppinVA wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:19 pm
McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:15 pm
AppinVA wrote:

So...Clemson’s victory is backed up by science. I’ve just been applying “due theory”.
Clemson is a science-y type school.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:39 pm

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:49 pm

Dadgum Karma

Longrifle28

Unread post by Longrifle28 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:51 pm

Hell, that's better than hot hot hot. Lol
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

MACAPP86

Unread post by MACAPP86 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:06 pm

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:22 pm

Longrifle28 wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:51 pm
Hell, that's better than hot hot hot. Lol
Hot, hot, hot is the single greatest college marketing campaign of all time. It is the sole reason I applied to App, the day I saw it on the best of the week VH1 show.
FREQS AND GEEKS!

appstate5

Unread post by appstate5 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:34 pm

Roy plays one offense...run, run, run. He does not change his style to match his players. And that's why he's not that great of a coach. Great coaches use the players strengths they have.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:35 pm

appstate5 wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:34 pm
Roy plays one offense...run, run, run. He does not change his style to match his players. And that's why he's not that great of a coach. Great coaches use the players strengths they have.
You don’t win as many games and Nattys without being a great coach.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:58 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:35 pm
appstate5 wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:34 pm
You don’t win as many games and Nattys without being a great coach.
Well in my opinion you are both correct - Roy wins playing one style - explosive point guards and "run, run, run" - I am sure he has but I can't remember UNC winning a game against a good opponent in a half-court slug fest - BUT, you don't win that many games without being a good coach - :)
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”