Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

UCONN football tv deal

moonshine
School: Appalachian State

UCONN football tv deal

Unread post by moonshine » Mon May 11, 2020 7:18 pm

“UConn on Monday announced an agreement with CBS Sports Network, which will carry four home games in the upcoming 2020 season — if there is one — and every home game through 2023. The four-year deal comes with a pair of two-year network options that could push the agreement to eight years, through the 2027 season.”

https://www.courant.com/sports/hc-sp-u ... story.html

CBSSN reaches roughly 55m homes. With all the UCONN home games being nationally televised, would any App fans be interested in a H/H series with the Huskies? App’s next OOC opening isn’t until ‘25 so for discussion sake, let’s say CBSSN picks up the option which would allow App to have a guaranteed nationally televised game in 2025.

If you aren’t interested, what if DG was able to negotiate a deal that also included H/H in b-ball? He might be able to coordinate with Wake, Davidson or UNCC in b-ball where UCONN could play App and (insert team) during a NC weekend road trip. Obviously Wake should be DG’s first call as I imagine UCONN fans would be more accepting of an ACC team, especially a Weak ACC team and Wake would love to host a prominent Big East team at the LJVM.
Picked up via free agency by the High Country All-Stars

MountaineerMafia

Re: UCONN football tv deal

Unread post by MountaineerMafia » Mon May 11, 2020 11:11 pm

No interest. Uconn football is terrible. It wouldn't do anything for recruiting. CBS Sports Network may be televised in quite a few homes but more and more people are cutting cable and it isn't available on a lot of streaming platforms. I would equate playing Uconn in football to playing someone like a Campbell or Morgan State. I'm shocked they got any kind of deal. They should just cut their losses and move to FCS or just disband football altogether.
“I never lie to any man because I don’t fear anyone. The only time you lie is when you are afraid” ~ John Gotti

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Mon May 11, 2020 11:25 pm

They have only been terrible for like the last 10 years or so before that........nope they still sucked. A couple bowl wins aside the specific game that puts them at the bottom of the barrel is their loss to Georgia Southern in 98. Southern almost won the chip that year. Uconn could have stopped that, but they didn't.

moonshine

Unread post by moonshine » Tue May 12, 2020 10:22 am

MountaineerMafia wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 11:11 pm
No interest. Uconn football is terrible. It wouldn't do anything for recruiting. CBS Sports Network may be televised in quite a few homes but more and more people are cutting cable and it isn't available on a lot of streaming platforms. I would equate playing Uconn in football to playing someone like a Campbell or Morgan State. I'm shocked they got any kind of deal. They should just cut their losses and move to FCS or just disband football altogether.
I get that they’re terrible in football but it could be an easy FBS W (x2) which is has more value than a W over a FCS program. So a possible H/H in b-ball thrown into the deal isn’t enough to sway your opinion?
Picked up via free agency by the High Country All-Stars

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Tue May 12, 2020 11:26 am

We have to play someone, but I’d rather play a close FBS team in a H/H first. We need to get another Wake Forest series inked, and I’d selfishly like to see if we could get one with Virginia or maybe even Vanderbilt. If we’re talking G5’s, I’d like to see a H/H with Army or Navy.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

MountaineerMafia

Unread post by MountaineerMafia » Tue May 12, 2020 12:04 pm

moonshine wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 10:22 am
MountaineerMafia wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 11:11 pm
I get that they’re terrible in football but it could be an easy FBS W (x2) which is has more value than a W over a FCS program. So a possible H/H in b-ball thrown into the deal isn’t enough to sway your opinion?
The basketball aspect is intriguing. I would say it could be doable if Uconn would be used instead of an FCS team for that season. I don't have a lot of interest if we play an FCS AND Uconn in the same season. It would be about equal to this year's schedule in terms of interest. I mean, besides seeing the North Endzone facility in person does anyone really care about the OOC home games this year (Morgan State & UMass)?? I'd rather try to get a better football team and see if Uconn would be interested in the basketball aspect on it's own. App is close enough to Charlotte that they could possibly see value in playing in the area...
“I never lie to any man because I don’t fear anyone. The only time you lie is when you are afraid” ~ John Gotti

huskie3

Unread post by huskie3 » Tue May 12, 2020 3:59 pm

Remember basketball will be in big east now, they likely would not entertain either of us.
Bring Your A Game!

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Tue May 12, 2020 9:25 pm

appdaze wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 11:25 pm
They have only been terrible for like the last 10 years or so before that........nope they still sucked. A couple bowl wins aside the specific game that puts them at the bottom of the barrel is their loss to Georgia Southern in 98. Southern almost won the chip that year. Uconn could have stopped that, but they didn't.
I may be wrong but I think they knocked us out of the fcs playoffs last time we played.

MountaineerMafia

Unread post by MountaineerMafia » Sat May 16, 2020 7:47 pm

spacemonkey wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 9:25 pm
appdaze wrote:
I may be wrong but I think they knocked us out of the fcs playoffs last time we played.
Uconn made the FCS playoffs only once, in 1998. They beat Hampton then lost to Georgia Southern. You may be thinking of Villanova...? Similar color scheme.

kornegaylw

Unread post by kornegaylw » Sun May 17, 2020 9:10 am

MountaineerMafia wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 7:47 pm
Uconn made the FCS playoffs only once, in 1998. They beat Hampton then lost to Georgia Southern. You may be thinking of Villanova...? Similar color scheme.
That Vilanova game in 2010 was awful. It was a cold wet windy day and we lost 42-24. They had a RB by the name of "Szczur"...I'll never forget it b/c I still don't understand how you can spell a 6 letter word with 1 vowel.

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Sun May 17, 2020 9:31 am

Dude had a decent baseball career, all things considered. Played his chosen sport and made some good money doing it.

Edit: He made more money than I thought. 2.5 mil in the majors from 2014 to 2018 and 600k signing bonus his rookie minor league season. 500k of that was for not going to the NFL combine. Then made a few more 100k it looks like so he made somewhere between 3 and 3.5 mil. I also thought he was done when he left the diamond backs last year but apparently he signed a minor league deal with Philly. Covid might have sunk his chance though. That stinks. At least hes got a ring! 2016 WS Cubs.
Last edited by appdaze on Sun May 17, 2020 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

kornegaylw

Unread post by kornegaylw » Sun May 17, 2020 10:53 am

appdaze wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 9:31 am
Dude had a decent baseball career, all things considered. Played his chosen sport and made some good money doing it.
That's great for him! I remember sitting there that night in the visitor side student section freezing my butt off realizing that, of all teams Vilanova was ending our dynasty.

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Sun May 17, 2020 11:31 am

MountaineerMafia wrote:
spacemonkey wrote:
appdaze wrote:
Yep...it was Villanova. Sorry. I remember being sad because we were beat by a basketball team.

App91

Unread post by App91 » Tue May 19, 2020 11:44 am

spacemonkey wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 11:31 am
MountaineerMafia wrote:
spacemonkey wrote:
appdaze wrote:
Yep...it was Villanova. Sorry. I remember being sad because we were beat by a basketball team.
That's Vanillanova

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”