Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

La. Tech AD talking trash

spacemonkey
School: Appalachian State

Re: La. Tech AD talking trash

Unread post by spacemonkey » Fri May 29, 2020 4:06 pm

I really like our league....be careful what you wish for. I just hope we stay good. Winning solves a lot of problems. I feel like we have bowl games in our OOC schedule. I hope teams don't quit scheduling us on OOC. As far as bowls go(I guess this comment should go on the bowl page) We are selling ourselves short when we agree to play a 5th and 6th place team from another conference. NO WAY we should settle for a 4th place aac vs a sunbelt champ. I would rather play the MAC Champ or the C-USA champ each year. At least when you win you have something to claim. If you beat the 6th place SEC team or the 4th place aac team what is it you claimed. I could finish 5th in the SEC. I could finish 3rd in the aac.

Last year if we could have played the best CUSA team and won we could have claimed all kind of statements. Beat UNC, USC, All the Sunbelt and all the C-USA. That is something to be proud of.

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Fri May 29, 2020 5:26 pm

Yosef84 wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 1:18 pm
NavyApp wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 10:32 am
ULL would drag them in football right now. Which I'm sure their AD knows this and is talking trash from a safe distance knowing that it won't be settled on the field.
I'm not sure they would have dragged them in 2019 but I do think UL would have won. Tech had a pretty good team and was in the "others receiving votes" for a good piece of the season. I know that these two schools have a heated and ugly rivalry but I thought it was ULM that Tech usually threw under the bus in statements like this.
I 100% stand by what I said. ULL would absolutely DRAG them. Look at LaTechs schedule and results last year. Got smoked by Texas, beat a mediocre 6 win Grambling State by one score, blew out a 3 win Bowling Green, beat a 6 win FIU, beat a 3 win Rice by 3, blew out a 1 win UMASS, had a solid win against a good not great 7-6 So Miss, beat up another 1-11 team in UTEP, beat a bad 4-8 North Texas, got a beat down from an 8-5 Marshall, lost to a tough 9-5 UAB, beat a 4-8 UTSA, and yes they beat Miami in the bowl game but if anyone watched you would know those kids from Miami were anywhere but in the game. Yes I know a win is a win but still. According to Sports Reference their strength of schedule was 130th out of 130. Their strength of record was 76th out of 130. Meanwhile ULL strength of schedule was 94th out of 130, and strength of record was 30th out of 130. Yes LaTech was a 10 win team but it's fools gold, ULL was a great team last year and we got to see it first hand twice last year.
FREQS AND GEEKS!

citroknight
School: UCF

Unread post by citroknight » Sat May 30, 2020 12:00 am

Dudes reading straight from his "hype the donors" script lol. The gap from CUSA to SBC is loooong gone.

It existed in 2005-2012 when CUSA's core was the current AAC teams and SBC was a mix of current CUSA and SBC schools. But once the 2013 shuffle started, the resulting CUSA isn't any better than SBC. At the top, the SBC was definitely better last year. Both suffer from depth at the middle and bottom. It feels more pronounced for CUSA though because it's an unwieldy 14 team conference. So it's got a fatter trash tier part of the conference.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sat May 30, 2020 9:34 am

citroknight wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 12:00 am
Dudes reading straight from his "hype the donors" script lol. The gap from CUSA to SBC is loooong gone.

It existed in 2005-2012 when CUSA's core was the current AAC teams and SBC was a mix of current CUSA and SBC schools. But once the 2013 shuffle started, the resulting CUSA isn't any better than SBC. At the top, the SBC was definitely better last year. Both suffer from depth at the middle and bottom. It feels more pronounced for CUSA though because it's an unwieldy 14 team conference. So it's got a fatter trash tier part of the conference.
Exactly. Many in the media talk like the SBC is the worst FBS league but the MAC is the worst by a big margin right now.

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Sat May 30, 2020 10:10 am

AppStFan1 wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 9:34 am
citroknight wrote:

Exactly. Many in the media talk like the SBC is the worst FBS league but the MAC is the worst by a big margin right now.
In my head the G5 conferences look like this:

AAC

MWC

SunBelt
CUSA

MAC

If Troy, Arkansas State and Ga Southern elevate their programs to the UL level last season and we remain the power, we start to look a heck of a lot like the Mountain West.

Our depth remains our problem, but CUSA looks even worse and the MAC is basically just a conference composed of teams that go 6-5/7-4.
YNWA

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sat May 30, 2020 11:42 am

ah59396 wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 10:10 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 9:34 am
citroknight wrote:

In my head the G5 conferences look like this:

AAC

MWC

SunBelt
CUSA

MAC

If Troy, Arkansas State and Ga Southern elevate their programs to the UL level last season and we remain the power, we start to look a heck of a lot like the Mountain West.

Our depth remains our problem, but CUSA looks even worse and the MAC is basically just a conference composed of teams that go 6-5/7-4.
That is very fair. I really don't think the gap between MWC and SBC at the top is big either. I fully believe App and Louisiana both would compete with Boise State, if not beat them.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:42 pm

NavyApp wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 5:26 pm
Yosef84 wrote:
NavyApp wrote:
ULL would drag them in football right now. Which I'm sure their AD knows this and is talking trash from a safe distance knowing that it won't be settled on the field.
I'm not sure they would have dragged them in 2019 but I do think UL would have won. Tech had a pretty good team and was in the "others receiving votes" for a good piece of the season. I know that these two schools have a heated and ugly rivalry but I thought it was ULM that Tech usually threw under the bus in statements like this.
I 100% stand by what I said. ULL would absolutely DRAG them. Look at LaTechs schedule and results last year. Got smoked by Texas, beat a mediocre 6 win Grambling State by one score, blew out a 3 win Bowling Green, beat a 6 win FIU, beat a 3 win Rice by 3, blew out a 1 win UMASS, had a solid win against a good not great 7-6 So Miss, beat up another 1-11 team in UTEP, beat a bad 4-8 North Texas, got a beat down from an 8-5 Marshall, lost to a tough 9-5 UAB, beat a 4-8 UTSA, and yes they beat Miami in the bowl game but if anyone watched you would know those kids from Miami were anywhere but in the game. Yes I know a win is a win but still. According to Sports Reference their strength of schedule was 130th out of 130. Their strength of record was 76th out of 130. Meanwhile ULL strength of schedule was 94th out of 130, and strength of record was 30th out of 130. Yes LaTech was a 10 win team but it's fools gold, ULL was a great team last year and we got to see it first hand twice last year.
Good points and you very well might be right. It would have been fun to watch. I put little stock in those ratings but I'm not saying they're worthless. At the end of the day, the game is played on the field. I would have expected it to be a good game. It's also a rivalry game, so we all know how those tend to go. Again though...you might be right. I believe ULL was a very good team and frankly, our two wins over them are (in the real world) as good as the wins over UNC and SC. They just don't bring the notoriety.

BayouApp

Unread post by BayouApp » Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:53 pm

Yosef84 wrote:
NavyApp wrote:
I thought the same about ULM and LA Tech. ULM and LA Tech are only about 30 miles apart, so that rivalry is more understandable. I have worked with a lot of the LA Tech graduates (aviation program) over the years in Baton Rouge, and most seem more focused on LSU football than LA Tech.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”