Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Universities report covid cases in athletics

goapps
School: Appalachian State

Universities report covid cases in athletics

Unread post by goapps » Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:26 pm

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/07/us/unive ... index.html
"Arkansas State reported that seven athletes from three sports programs tested positive last Wednesday. They were all asymptomatic and will remain in quarantine for 14 days, the university said."

appdaze

Re: Universities report covid cases in athletics

Unread post by appdaze » Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:35 pm

I don't expect fall sports to make it the whole season. I think they will start and be shut down after a month. If they do it will probably involve no fans. The guidelines being released now from various sources from NFHS to NCAA are going to be tough to follow and have a "normal" season. When they try it, it's going to be wild how many players end up sitting out 2 weeks here and there. Some teams might get decimated with required 2 week quarantines. As much as I wish it could, I just don't see it happening.

https://www.nfhs.org/media/3812287/2020 ... -final.pdf

http://www.ncaa.org/sport-science-insti ... iate-sport

http://www.ncaa.org/sport-science-insti ... iderations

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:55 am

23 Clemson football players test positive:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/19/us/clems ... index.html

(CNN)At least 28 Clemson University athletes and staff have tested positive for coronavirus, including 23 football players, according to the university's athletics department.

So far this month, 315 Clemson student-athletes and staff have been tested for Covid-19, and 28 of those tests came back positive, the athletics department confirmed Friday in a news release.
Of the 23 football players, two are from last week's initial round of testing, a Clemson spokesman told CNN.
"Clemson has notified and isolated each of those individuals who tested positive for a period of at least 10 days," the release said. Close contacts of the individuals have been asked to self-quarantine for at least 14 days as well.
"Most of the total cases have been asymptomatic, and none have required hospitalization," according to the release. "As community transmission continues throughout the area, it is advised that individuals monitor for symptoms."
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

fjblair

Unread post by fjblair » Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:17 am

No surprise. Cases will continue to rise until the country has established herd immunity. We can slow the rate of infection down and prolong the inevitable, but we are not stopping this virus with masks and hand sanitizer.

I agree with appdaze, football is going to experience as "asterisk" season at best.

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:01 pm

NewApp wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:55 am

(CNN)At least 28 Clemson University athletes and staff have tested positive for coronavirus, including 23 football players, according to the university's athletics department.

So far this month, 315 Clemson student-athletes and staff have been tested for Covid-19, and 28 of those tests came back positive, the athletics department confirmed Friday in a news release.
Of the 23 football players, two are from last week's initial round of testing, a Clemson spokesman told CNN.
"Clemson has notified and isolated each of those individuals who tested positive for a period of at least 10 days," the release said. Close contacts of the individuals have been asked to self-quarantine for at least 14 days as well.
"Most of the total cases have been asymptomatic, and none have required hospitalization," according to the release. "As community transmission continues throughout the area, it is advised that individuals monitor for symptoms."
"Clemson has notified and isolated each of those individuals who tested positive for a period of at least 10 days," the release said. Close contacts of the individuals have been asked to self-quarantine for at least 14 days as well."

OK, Clemson...you're justifying the difference between the 10 day quarantine period for "student-athletes" and the 14 day quarantine period for "close contacts" just how? Just what scientific data was that decision based upon?
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:47 pm

It's only going to get worse as more and more students return to school from their various home locations. Season starts in almost 2 months. How in shape and game ready will teams be that have to quarantine say middle of August? The question will be how conservative will the NCAA be when it comes to allow play to happen.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:15 pm

I'm sure the thought is out there somewhere to get the athletes exposed early, deal with the cases during summer workouts and hope that they don't carry into the season.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:17 am

I have zero inside information. However, from what I am seeing with the numbers from CDC and WHO, I would highly suggest there won't be a season with fans. I do expect NFL to play (although, likely without fans), but its hard to tell amateurs "go potentially risk your life and your families lives to play this game!" when they aren't getting paid. Its the NFL players jobs. They can be told (albeit, not ethically) "you're playing or you don't get a paycheck." At that point, if they decide against it, that's a calculated risk. Completely different with amateurs.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

ArmantiWaterSafety

Unread post by ArmantiWaterSafety » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:23 am

AppStateNews wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:17 am
I have zero inside information. However, from what I am seeing with the numbers from CDC and WHO, I would highly suggest there won't be a season with fans. I do expect NFL to play (although, likely without fans), but its hard to tell amateurs "go potentially risk your life and your families lives to play this game!" when they aren't getting paid. Its the NFL players jobs. They can be told (albeit, not ethically) "you're playing or you don't get a paycheck." At that point, if they decide against it, that's a calculated risk. Completely different with amateurs.
I 100% understand your view, but I'll play the opposite role here. When you say "go potentially risk your life and your families lives to play this game," they sort of do that anyway. Especially high contact sports such as football, your life can be changed on any play. These guys play because they love the game and I'm sure most are trying to make it to the elusive next level. I think if you asked most players that question point blank, most would take the risk.

In another side note, the new CDC estimates for Covid is a 0.2% death rate (even lower among the 18-24 age group). Just looking at statistics in general, the high school rate of injury per 1,000 athletes is 13.52. No clue what it is for college, but that's a 1.3% risk. Granted, that's comparing a bruise to a death so obviously a pretty terrible comparison, but just comparing risk to risk here.

Regardless, as a former athlete, I would certainly take that risk. I also have selfish motivations to push it that way so I'm sure I'm coming from an area of inherent bias, but I really think a season can and should happen.

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:32 am

I have been spending the last month or so working on COVID guidelines, and have written or helped write some local guidelines specific to certain facilities. It's going to be a mess. With the guidelines being sent out from the NFHS, NCHSAA, NCAA, and other organizations it's going to be tough. Constant temp checks, questionnaires, cleaning, etc is going to be a major problem for time management IF coaches actually follow the policies. I would be my salary that a lot of coaches will not follow the guidelines and high school sports for the fall will get the ax within a month of starting. One or two kids test positive on a team and watch parents start pulling their kids. If one kid is your star QB and they are down 14 days minimum that could be 2 quick losses and your playoff hopes can get dashed pretty quick. And every kid who was in their "pod" has to be out for like 10 days unless they get tested and it's negative. I just don't see fall high school sports making it. Winter sports are going to be tough as well. Juco is going to be tough as scheduling is going to change and money is not always available to support all that is going to be required in the form of extra cleaning, materials, testing, and whatnot. Small NCAA schools will be limited as well and will probably cut schedules to only conference games. We are already seeing D1s trying to practice and getting hit with positive tests and having to cancel.

Don't expect to go to sports this year.

Also, you should go look at state requirements just to open schools. I'll be surprised if schools can pull it off in the fall. I'm not going to go into all the details again but its worth a read from another post I made.

AppScott89

Unread post by AppScott89 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:53 am

If what they say about virus is true, I say get all the healthy players, the ones without an underlying illness, get infected now. I have always been told that once you have a virus and recover you have antibodies against the virus. The swine industry works on this theory.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:47 am

How long does this specific immunity last?

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:40 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:47 am
How long does this specific immunity last?
That's part of the issue right now...they don't really know. The antibody test is also not very accurate because it cannot accurately distinguish between this and other types of coronavirus. There's a lot of assumption, projection and estimates going on right now.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:48 pm

I say, bring all the students back to school immediately (over summer), let them have a huge party in the stadium with lots of close contact. Let them all get it and then quarantine the entire school for two weeks and be done with it. Every NCAA school should do the same and let's get on with it. Then everybody in school is ready to proceed with classes, sports, parties and everything else they may get into during the course of normal college life without fear.

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:44 pm

AtlAppMan wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:48 pm
I say, bring all the students back to school immediately (over summer), let them have a huge party in the stadium with lots of close contact. Let them all get it and then quarantine the entire school for two weeks and be done with it. Every NCAA school should do the same and let's get on with it. Then everybody in school is ready to proceed with classes, sports, parties and everything else they may get into during the course of normal college life without fear.
Party in KBS...hmmm...just don't assume that's bird shit on your season ticket seat.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

canes_mj

Unread post by canes_mj » Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:30 am

AtlAppMan wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:48 pm
I would love to see any politician stand behind a podium and use these exact words in the post lol.

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:57 pm

appdaze wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:32 am
I have been spending the last month or so working on COVID guidelines, and have written or helped write some local guidelines specific to certain facilities. It's going to be a mess. With the guidelines being sent out from the NFHS, NCHSAA, NCAA, and other organizations it's going to be tough. Constant temp checks, questionnaires, cleaning, etc is going to be a major problem for time management IF coaches actually follow the policies. I would be my salary that a lot of coaches will not follow the guidelines and high school sports for the fall will get the ax within a month of starting. One or two kids test positive on a team and watch parents start pulling their kids. If one kid is your star QB and they are down 14 days minimum that could be 2 quick losses and your playoff hopes can get dashed pretty quick. And every kid who was in their "pod" has to be out for like 10 days unless they get tested and it's negative. I just don't see fall high school sports making it. Winter sports are going to be tough as well. Juco is going to be tough as scheduling is going to change and money is not always available to support all that is going to be required in the form of extra cleaning, materials, testing, and whatnot. Small NCAA schools will be limited as well and will probably cut schedules to only conference games. We are already seeing D1s trying to practice and getting hit with positive tests and having to cancel.

Also, you should go look at state requirements just to open schools. I'll be surprised if schools can pull it off in the fall. I'm not going to go into all the details again but its worth a read from another post I made.
Gov. Cooper is expected to deliver his "position" on pre K-12 schools next week. Look for it to extremely strick from A to Z. It will impose serious hardships on everyone involved--families, students, teachers, school support staff from secretaries to bus drivers--simply everybody. More tough months ahead!
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

ASU84

Unread post by ASU84 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:40 pm

asu66 wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:01 pm
NewApp wrote:

"Clemson has notified and isolated each of those individuals who tested positive for a period of at least 10 days," the release said. Close contacts of the individuals have been asked to self-quarantine for at least 14 days as well."

OK, Clemson...you're justifying the difference between the 10 day quarantine period for "student-athletes" and the 14 day quarantine period for "close contacts" just how? Just what scientific data was that decision based upon?
Because they are the stars of the show and they have to have them back. Their acquaintances are not. It's what benefits the "team" and not the "others."

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:55 am

ASU84 wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:40 pm
asu66 wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:01 pm
NewApp wrote:

Because they are the stars of the show and they have to have them back. Their acquaintances are not. It's what benefits the "team" and not the "others."
Not sure about that but there is a difference between already being sick and just having been exposed. It's my understanding that it takes about 14 days for symptoms to develope. PGA is doing the same thing for those who test positive. Maybe after 10 days you're no longer contagious. I really think the test should be available for all. I was told Red Cross is doing antibody testing on all blood donors. Im looking for a blood drive because I'm curious and I also haven't donated in awhile.
WE ARE YOSEF!

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:50 am

asu66 wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:57 pm
appdaze wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:32 am

Gov. Cooper is expected to deliver his "position" on pre K-12 schools next week. Look for it to extremely strick from A to Z. It will impose serious hardships on everyone involved--families, students, teachers, school support staff from secretaries to bus drivers--simply everybody. More tough months ahead!
Yep, Cooper is playing his part well.
BLACK SATURDAY

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”