Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Colorado State has suspended all football activities due to allegations of racism and abuse

asu66
School: Appalachian State

Colorado State has suspended all football activities due to allegations of racism and abuse

Unread post by asu66 » Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:58 pm

This will be ugly as facts unfold...

https://csurams.com/news/2020/8/7/footb ... arker.aspx
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

McLeansvilleAppFan

Re: Colorado State has suspended all football activities due to allegations of racism and abuse

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:34 pm

Good for them to take a stand, and hopefully the truth does come out and things improve.

I have to wonder how likely this would have happened if the season was not hampered by Covid and there is clearly not as much money on the line this year as in previous years. Maybe I am too cynical about DI athletics and money.

I have a ton of questions I would want to ask if I was a supporter of the program but I will not ask those here right now.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Re: Colorado State has suspended all football activities due to allegations of racism and abuse

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:36 pm

First year coach at CSU. I wonder if breadcrumbs were left at Temple and Boston College that could get these school involved in all of this.

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:34 pm

The players just came out and issued a letter stating this was not factual. But I’m sure if they look hard enough they can find some racism somewhere. But at least we aren’t applying guilt without all the facts.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:17 pm

Seattleapp wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:34 pm
The players just came out and issued a letter stating this was not factual. But I’m sure if they look hard enough they can find some racism somewhere. But at least we aren’t applying guilt without all the facts.
A development I am not surprised would happen. I doubt every team member has felt any racism and for them making a statement would be an honest statement on their part. I have had bosses that I felt were complete jerks to me or others but I knew they went out socially with other staff members that spoke very highly of their friendship. It is very possible we were both correct. However if it is just one player feeling they were impacted by racism then it should be examined and investigated and dealt with. It does not sound like anyone has been fired yet and no one is serving time in jail so I would lean on the fact the AD felt this was needed and leave it at that and stand by my statement of support.

I do not know this head coach nor his staff. All of this may be a big to-do about nothing or it may have legs. I do hope his previous schools will be open to answering questions about his employment there as it may provide a history of being a stand-up person or it may provide some support that the coach has a history that is problematic. That assumes the alleged concerns are coming from actions by either the head coach or staff the head coach hired which puts the onus on the head coach. With the coach only having been there a year this doesn't seem to be the case of long-standing issues that the AD is trying to go out in front of to save his own rear end.

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:41 pm

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:17 pm
Seattleapp wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:34 pm
A development I am not surprised would happen. I doubt every team member has felt any racism and for them making a statement would be an honest statement on their part. I have had bosses that I felt were complete jerks to me or others but I knew they went out socially with other staff members that spoke very highly of their friendship. It is very possible we were both correct. However if it is just one player feeling they were impacted by racism then it should be examined and investigated and dealt with. It does not sound like anyone has been fired yet and no one is serving time in jail so I would lean on the fact the AD felt this was needed and leave it at that and stand by my statement of support.

I do not know this head coach nor his staff. All of this may be a big to-do about nothing or it may have legs. I do hope his previous schools will be open to answering questions about his employment there as it may provide a history of being a stand-up person or it may provide some support that the coach has a history that is problematic. That assumes the alleged concerns are coming from actions by either the head coach or staff the head coach hired which puts the onus on the head coach. With the coach only having been there a year this doesn't seem to be the case of long-standing issues that the AD is trying to go out in front of to save his own rear end.
I appreciate the reasonable rebuttal. We most likely disagree on many things politically and probably socially, but you are well reasoned in your positions and I respect you for it.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:24 pm

Two points.

I might need to rephrase my last sentence above about this not being long standing at CSU.

Also this is yet another example of why we need print journalism to thrive and anyone that cares about civil society should subscribe to a local print paper (even if in electronic format). They might not have broke this story but the amount of information here would have never been discussed in a TV spot.

1ASU78

Unread post by 1ASU78 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:11 am

Some general comments that dont necessarily apply to CSU.

Bad news if this proves to be real and not just disgruntled players and staff.
The unfortunate reality now is that if one is accused of racism automatic guilt is bestowed with no chance of proving innocence. The players letter of support is mentioned as a yeah you could expect that but don't let that get in the way. I'm not defending anyone because I don't know what happened as I've never been involved with CSU football. There is a band wagon that requires little in order to jump on and don't get in its way. I, like someone else on here have been on the receiving end of crap that not all of my coworkers enjoyed. And the times sorry man just glad it wasn't me. Then we had a boss that passed it out to everyone, your time was coming. If these allegations are true hopefully the investigation will be an honest look and prove that out. If not hopefully that will also be revealed. I feel like now if any organization is labeled racist the outcome is predetermined to show at least some racial issues. Otherwise you face a worse fate. Racist people exist, discrimination occurs everyday and unfortunately it's been around since time began and doesn't look to be going away. More love is needed there is enough hate. Listen to each other agree or agree to disagree. I'm tired of so much right now praying every day for the country and world.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:28 am

1ASU78 wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:11 am
Some general comments that dont necessarily apply to CSU.

Bad news if this proves to be real and not just disgruntled players and staff.
The unfortunate reality now is that if one is accused of racism automatic guilt is bestowed with no chance of proving innocence. The players letter of support is mentioned as a yeah you could expect that but don't let that get in the way.
Did you read what I wrote? No where did I imply anyone was guilty. I do support an investigation, otherwise you might be letting someone get away for racist dealings. I don't see how that would prevent future racist problems. Lack of due process cuts both ways.

This may turn out to be nothing more than a disgruntled player or staff member but the only way to find out is to investigate. The newspaper article mentions allegations of previous problems in the former coaching staff. Again I would hope Temple and Boston C lend a hand in being open as that would be very helpful in at least setting some history, good or bad, with the current coach. It might very well help clear him.

If it is longstanding I would expect the AD to go as well. If it is longstanding he should have known.

1ASU78

Unread post by 1ASU78 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:14 pm

🙄Did you read what I wrote? I didn’t imply that you did imply guilt. If something is amiss and AD knew than he has to go

If this is in bold I don’t know how I did that

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:27 pm

1ASU78 wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:14 pm
🙄Did you read what I wrote? I didn’t imply that you did imply guilt. If something is amiss and AD knew than he has to go

If this is in bold I don’t know how I did that
No bold font, so good on that end. Thanks for clarifying what you wrote. The "yeah, yeah" part of your post along with the other words seemed to be implying that, but if you say that was not your intent then I can accept that as well.

1ASU78

Unread post by 1ASU78 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:28 pm

Cool no harm intended

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:35 pm

My biggest problem is once the accusation is made it’s basically a guilty verdict. That’s the issue. People see that headline and automatically apply it. We have a bad habit of doing that in this country

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:44 pm

Seattleapp wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:35 pm
My biggest problem is once the accusation is made it’s basically a guilty verdict. That’s the issue. People see that headline and automatically apply it. We have a bad habit of doing that in this country
In the same vein if the accusation is never made then the behavior or cultures never get addressed. It's a sticky situation all around.
FREQS AND GEEKS!

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:07 pm

Seattleapp wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:35 pm
And that is a fair statement on your part, up to a point. Part of this is the reality of the amount of racism in this country in that the response of many will end of being, "Well, that sounds about right."

It is not fair and it allows for those innocent on an accusations to be caught up in everything. But that is where we are as a society and the history.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”