Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Scores of Interest

NewApp
School: Appalachian State

Scores of Interest

Unread post by NewApp » Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:58 pm

Marshall is now 5-0 after beating Florida Atlantic 20-9
Coastal Carolina is also 5-0 after their win over Georgia Southern 28-14
Bama trounced UT 48-17
Clemson did likewise to Syracuse 47-21 Orange against Orange
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

biggie
Site Admin

Re: Scores of Interest

Unread post by biggie » Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:02 pm

So Al kills ULM. ULM looks horrible this year. Hope they don’t magically look good against us next weekend, I need a happier bday to make up for last year.

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:17 pm

biggie wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:02 pm
So Al kills ULM. ULM looks horrible this year. Hope they don’t magically look good against us next weekend, I need a happier bday to make up for last year.
We should absolutely destroy ULM, but we will see. We can’t come out flat or they will embarrass us like they did in 2017.
YNWA

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:28 pm

East Carolina is now 1-3 on the season. I love it. Now who is it on here that longs for us to be in the American Athletic Conference?

Have they had a winning season since they joined the AAC? Too busy to freakin' Google it.
Google SUX

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:49 pm

NewApp wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:28 pm
East Carolina is now 1-3 on the season. I love it. Now who is it on here that longs for us to be in the American Athletic Conference?

Have they had a winning season since they joined the AAC? Too busy to freakin' Google it.
So, are you saying that since they can't be successful in the AAC, we can't be? Just clarifying.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:51 pm

WASU 93 wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:49 pm
NewApp wrote:

So, are you saying that since they can't be successful in the AAC, we can't be? Just clarifying.
Yeah same here. Are we the ECU of western NC? So we should just be happy in the Sunbelt and not strive for better competition?

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:56 pm

WASU 93 wrote:
NewApp wrote:

Not saying that at all. I just don't see how it has benefited EZU to go into that conference. How would it benefit us?
Google SUX

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:00 pm

NewApp wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:56 pm
WASU 93 wrote:
NewApp wrote:

Not saying that at all. I just don't see how it has benefited EZU to go into that conference. How would it benefit us?
Better TV deal aka more money. Better national image aka benefit of the doubt. Better Commissioner aka someone who would push for us to get into the NY6/CFP. I could go on but I think you get the point. The Sunbelt is what it is and the conference is having a great year but this is more of a one off than the rule. The AAC is constantly in front of the nation, that is a fact.
FREQS AND GEEKS!

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:14 pm

Not trying to be obtuse, but how has the "more TV money" helped ECU to win football games since joining the AAC??
If the chart I ran across is correct it shows them going 1-3, 4-8, 3-9, 3-9,3-9, 5-7 and 8-5. I think that is 27-50 overall in 6 and a "half" years. Their only winning season was their first year in the AAC under former Appalachian assistant coach, Ruffin McNeil, who they fired the next year after going 5-7 and have sukked ever since. Can't see that it helped their national image enough to justify moving to that conference. Like you guys, I like good competition, but I don't see much of the App fan base hanging with us when we could have had 6 losing seasons thus far like the Pyrites. Of course they could still put a long string of winning seasons together in the future, but the trend tends to look otherwise.
Google SUX

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:48 pm

NewApp wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:14 pm
Not trying to be obtuse, but how has the "more TV money" helped ECU to win football games since joining the AAC??
If the chart I ran across is correct it shows them going 1-3, 4-8, 3-9, 3-9,3-9, 5-7 and 8-5. I think that is 27-50 overall in 6 and a "half" years. Their only winning season was their first year in the AAC under former Appalachian assistant coach, Ruffin McNeil, who they fired the next year after going 5-7 and have sukked ever since. Can't see that it helped their national image enough to justify moving to that conference. Like you guys, I like good competition, but I don't see much of the App fan base hanging with us when we could have had 6 losing seasons thus far like the Pyrites. Of course they could still put a long string of winning seasons together in the future, but the trend tends to look otherwise.
The difference is ECU has no extended history of winning and we do. We are not a product of a flash in the pan coaching staff. We are a program built over time, a culture has been established that can withstand transitions. If we were in the AAC we would not have the record ECU has had, and I say that as an empirical fact. No I don't think we would win that conference every year but we would still be a powerhouse. We would benefit from a boost in funds, a boost in national image, a boost in recruiting. What is not to want. We are not ECU, you CAN NOT compare us to them in football. That is a fools errand and I don't believe you to be a fool.
FREQS AND GEEKS!

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:17 pm

I see your points. One anecdotal thing is they beat Stanford in the Liberty Bowl one year if I recall correctly. Too they have had a few runs where they had 6 or 7 consecutive winning seasons.
Google SUX

booneboy92

Unread post by booneboy92 » Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:20 pm

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, I have zero interest in changing conferences unless we’re able to do it for all sports, not just football... we’ve got a ways to go yet.

booneboy92

Unread post by booneboy92 » Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:25 pm

Not to mention the supposed required curriculum offerings for the AAC...

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:54 pm

The entire G5 needs to be redone and each conference regionalized. If our 4 non-conference games included Marshall, UNCC, ECU and maybe Liberty (just examples) we would sell out the stadium and offer great TV games. Not only would the games be better schools could reduce travel costs and generate better rivalries. How many fans from Texas State, Monroe and even LaLa come to Boone? We could easily sell 5,000 tickets to just the 4 schools listed above. Home games against Cincinnati, Memphis, Central Florida and SMU would be better as far as level of competition but do those fans travel? Do we travel to those schools for games?

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:19 am

NewApp wrote:
The conference they are in provides great advantages for them, but it cannot overcome poor institutional decisions. Their lack of success is their fault, not the AACs fault.

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:47 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:54 pm
The entire G5 needs to be redone and each conference regionalized. If our 4 non-conference games included Marshall, UNCC, ECU and maybe Liberty (just examples) we would sell out the stadium and offer great TV games. Not only would the games be better schools could reduce travel costs and generate better rivalries. How many fans from Texas State, Monroe and even LaLa come to Boone? We could easily sell 5,000 tickets to just the 4 schools listed above. Home games against Cincinnati, Memphis, Central Florida and SMU would be better as far as level of competition but do those fans travel? Do we travel to those schools for games?
Spot on

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:57 am

WASU 93 wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:47 am
bigdaddyg wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:54 pm
Spot on
Edit- I meant conference games for the first 4 not non-conference. The second 4 example would be conference games as well if we were in the AAC. Guess it comes down to what fans want to see. Would you want a packed stadium with games against regional opponents (who might might be quite as good as the top AAC)? And would you want to have solid conference teams who are a car ride away distance wise from most central parts of NC? Like Charlotte, CCU, ECU, Etc. Or is the goal to be in what is considered the top G5 conference? Things change in sports so what is to say the AAC stays where they are. Personally I’d take the better home games and conference games that I can drive to easily.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:03 pm

appst89 wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:19 am
NewApp wrote:
The conference they are in provides great advantages for them, but it cannot overcome poor institutional decisions. Their lack of success is their fault, not the AACs fault.

I never said it was the AAC conference's fault. Just don't think it is a fit for us. IMOp.
Google SUX

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:17 pm

What is more likely to occur first?
1) App State to be considered for AAC
2) Entire G5 reorg to regionalize all conferences

I say #1 is more likely because it is "more" within our own control. If App continues to play exceptional football over the next several years it would position us to be an appealing add to AAC. On the other hand, we have no control over a broad scale G5 reorg. In my opinion, whether everybody keeps mentioning it, the likelihood of that happening are very slim because you would have to get roughly 40-50ish G5 universities to all agree and that is a monumental undertaking that probably won't happen.

And, YES, App would greatly benefit from being a member of AAC vs SBC. It has to be assumed that no matter which conference we are in we have to perform. If we don't perform well then we look bad regardless of the conference. That should be understood by everybody in this discussion.

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:23 pm

AtlAppMan wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:17 pm
What is more likely to occur first?
1) App State to be considered for AAC
2) Entire G5 reorg to regionalize all conferences

I say #1 is more likely because it is "more" within our own control. If App continues to play exceptional football over the next several years it would position us to be an appealing add to AAC. On the other hand, we have no control over a broad scale G5 reorg. In my opinion, whether everybody keeps mentioning it, the likelihood of that happening are very slim because you would have to get roughly 40-50ish G5 universities to all agree and that is a monumental undertaking.
I actually think there is a better chance of #2 happening. The longer COVID lingers, the tighter that athletic budgets will get. If we have no fans (and 7% is literally no fans from a revenue standpoint) in Football and Basketball and if the super-funding March Madness NCAA Basketball Tournament is impacted for the 2nd straight year, changes are going to have to happen.
Flying non-revenue teams to Texas, Arkansas and Louisiana doesn't make sense pre-COVID. It may not be an option post COVID.

Plus, in today's world, it may only take getting ESPN on board and the G5 universities will follow the revenue trail.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”