Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Scores of Interest

EastHallApp
School: Appalachian State

Re: Scores of Interest

Unread post by EastHallApp » Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:24 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:54 pm
The entire G5 needs to be redone and each conference regionalized. If our 4 non-conference games included Marshall, UNCC, ECU and maybe Liberty (just examples) we would sell out the stadium and offer great TV games. Not only would the games be better schools could reduce travel costs and generate better rivalries. How many fans from Texas State, Monroe and even LaLa come to Boone? We could easily sell 5,000 tickets to just the 4 schools listed above. Home games against Cincinnati, Memphis, Central Florida and SMU would be better as far as level of competition but do those fans travel? Do we travel to those schools for games?
Good points, and I'm on board with regional realignment being an ideal next step both for G5 overall and App specifically.

BUT, to your last question, I think ideally you'd want to host teams that are appealing enough that your own fans will sell out the stadium without having to have a huge visiting contingent. We've done that in the past, as I think as long as we keep winning, playing relatively high-profile opponents like those would be great for attendance. (Not to mention a nice boost for hoops attendance to play teams like Memphis, Cincy, Wichita, Houston etc.).

Finally, to your last question - I don't know what kind of contingent we'd take to those road games. But I do think the AAC offers some pretty appealing travel destinations, much more so than the Sun Belt (outside of Atlanta and Myrtle, if those are your thing). Memphis, Orlando, New Orleans, Philly... sign me up for those. An actual in-state conference opponent. Cincinnati's a day's drive and seems like a nice downtown area. I expect Dallas, Tampa and Houston would be enjoyable trips, and I know we have some fans who'd love to make the trip to Annapolis. Not going to do them all in one year, certainly. But pick one trip per year to make, absolutely. Really the only one I wouldn't consider would be Tulsa.

EastHallApp
School: Appalachian State

Re: Scores of Interest

Unread post by EastHallApp » Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:29 pm

AtlAppMan wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:17 pm
What is more likely to occur first?
1) App State to be considered for AAC
2) Entire G5 reorg to regionalize all conferences

I say #1 is more likely because it is "more" within our own control. If App continues to play exceptional football over the next several years it would position us to be an appealing add to AAC. On the other hand, we have no control over a broad scale G5 reorg. In my opinion, whether everybody keeps mentioning it, the likelihood of that happening are very slim because you would have to get roughly 40-50ish G5 universities to all agree and that is a monumental undertaking that probably won't happen.

And, YES, App would greatly benefit from being a member of AAC vs SBC. It has to be assumed that no matter which conference we are in we have to perform. If we don't perform well then we look bad regardless of the conference. That should be understood by everybody in this discussion.
Good question. I think it's pretty clear that, however much our fans might want it, we aren't at the top of the AAC's wishlist right now, and frankly for good reason outside of on-field football product. We have a lot of growth to do first.

On the other hand, you're right that coordinating large-scale G5 realignment is so complex. However, I don't think it has to involve ALL conferences. The MWC and MAC make sense as they are. You could invite AAC members, but my guess is they wouldn't want to sacrifice their status for shorter road trips.

So in my mind, it's really about getting the SBC and CUSA schools on board, and realignment would make sense for really all of them. Still a ton of moving pieces, and for whatever reason it seems like nobody in a position of influence is really pushing to get the ball rolling. But if that effort ever does get started, I could see it happening relatively quickly. The basic outline of what the two realigned leagues would look like has been out there for several years now.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”