Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Satt Done at UL?

appdaze

Re: Satt Done at UL?

Unread post by appdaze » Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:27 pm

From "The Bottom 10" on espn. I thought it was relevant to this thread since we are musing about coaching moves and TN.

9. Vanderbilt Commode Doors (0-8)
This weekend Vandy hosts Tennessee in the Volunteer State Pillow Fight of the Week presented by Dollywood. The winner of the game gets Coastal Carolina coach Jamey Chadwell's phone number.

AppDub
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by AppDub » Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:09 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:18 pm
Worst case for Satterfield is he makes $15M at UL and becomes an OC at a high level G5/P5 school and waits for the App job to open up one day. Some could say that's best case too.
Are you being serious about Satterfield or was sarcasm implied? I just can't see him coming back to App.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:06 pm

Mack Brown is no Spring Kitten. That was and perhaps will be SS first choice as I understand it.

BallantyneApp

Unread post by BallantyneApp » Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:53 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:06 pm
Mack Brown is no Spring Kitten. That was and perhaps will be SS first choice as I understand it.
I hope not. I really want to remain a supporter of Satterfield

AppDub

Unread post by AppDub » Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:18 pm

BallantyneApp wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:53 pm
Stonewall wrote:
At least he will have Eric Church on his side.

AppYosef!

Unread post by AppYosef! » Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:00 am

I have watched the video of Satterfield's comments and read numerous articles from Louisville media outlets about this. He has a point in that (in MOST cases) players do not have as many outside obligations to consider as coaches do which include wives, children, home life, etc. and for them coaching is their job and livelihood. For most college players they are able to intensely focus on classes, practice, and games for the time they are in college then they leave for a pro career or to begin careers in other fields. There are some players who do have wives and children to consider but that is not the norm.

In Satterfield's case he was always open with Louisville that he expected to be there for quite a while, unless a job closer to his home and his parents came up. I have also read that Louisville's AD was informed about the meeting/talk Satt had with South Carolina beforehand (and have not seen any comments from the AD saying different)...but that doesn't mean he was happy about Satterfield doing it. I think Satterfield has earned the support of his players. There are just some folks in the Louisville fan base who are so paranoid about another coach leaving that they go a little crazy.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:50 am

I will just never understand why he went there in the first place. He is a good person with a great reputation. Why would you want your name associated with Louisville? Money is just too easy an answer.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:54 am

I can't say this with total certainty - but - if SC interviewed Coach Satterfield then the SC AD should have received permission from Louisville AD to proceed with an interview -
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:26 am

https://247sports.com/college/louisvill ... 156373617/

They don't all hate him. This guy says the players still like him so who knows.

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:47 am

bcoach wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:50 am
I will just never understand why he went there in the first place. He is a good person with a great reputation. Why would you want your name associated with Louisville? Money is just too easy an answer.
The allure and mystique of a G5 HC is fleeting.I think it was shit or get off the pot time for him. One bad season, or less than great season, could drop your stock and lose millions or make it to where attaining your “dream job” was unattainable. If I was staring down the option between my family’s financial security for generations, knowing the fickle nature of CFB and the what have you done for me lately attitudes, I would move to a less than stellar area for 4-5 years too.

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:51 am

He went - and you know what - he took a program that was deep in the ditch with a 1 win season and all the other crap AND he turned them around and won ACC Coach of the Year because of that - How much is that worth to him in future negotiations?? - I would suggest a great deal -
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:18 pm

The Rock wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:47 am
bcoach wrote:
The allure and mystique of a G5 HC is fleeting.I think it was shit or get off the pot time for him. One bad season, or less than great season, could drop your stock and lose millions or make it to where attaining your “dream job” was unattainable. If I was staring down the option between my family’s financial security for generations, knowing the fickle nature of CFB and the what have you done for me lately attitudes, I would move to a less than stellar area for 4-5 years too.
I agree but my question is why risk so much in year 2. My thoughts would be, get the pretty much guaranteed money from UL. Then if it doesn’t work out you have the nest egg and more flexibility. Just seems like Satt took a really unnecessary risk. If UL did let him go now or next season he has that quote and a unimpressive P5 record to deal with.

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:24 pm

Mjohn1988 wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:18 pm
The Rock wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:47 am
bcoach wrote:
I agree but my question is why risk so much in year 2. My thoughts would be, get the pretty much guaranteed money from UL. Then if it doesn’t work out you have the nest egg and more flexibility. Just seems like Satt took a really unnecessary risk. If UL did let him go now or next season he has that quote and a unimpressive P5 record to deal with.
If UL cut him loose, he still get $$. I don't think he has had enough time there to really be judged off his body of work. He exceeded expectations in year 1, and year 2 hasn't been great, but i feel everything in 2020 gets an *. His comments weren't a great look, but I feel like the way his players, current and former, rallied to his defense would answer any questions a future employer might have. I was surprised he would talk to anyone else in just year 2, but I think its kinda the same mantra he had at App, if you don't put yourself out there, people won't think of you when there is an opening. I think he would have to get an offer from an ACC or SEC team in NC or SC to leave though.

mike87

Unread post by mike87 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:03 pm

Don't agents only get paid when the client signs a new deal? Don't underestimate the power of an influencer who got you a life changing financial deal 2 years prior.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:28 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:51 am
He went - and you know what - he took a program that was deep in the ditch with a 1 win season and all the other crap AND he turned them around and won ACC Coach of the Year because of that - How much is that worth to him in future negotiations?? - I would suggest a great deal -
Well, his current 3-7 record can't be repeated again next year if we hopes to parlay last year into a financial benefit. If he can replicate last year next year, then most of the fanbase will get over it. But, I would suggest until he does that, there will be a portion of their fanbase who question his commitment.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:13 pm

BallantyneApp wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:53 pm
Stonewall wrote:

Personally, i'm a supporter of him and always have been , but in spite of all he did for App and all we did for him, even considering he donated or set up a scholarship in his name here, first and foremost, technically he is a Cardinal now as long as he's on their pay roll. Way way down the line, it would be nice to see him comeback in an administrative role, if not as an AD, a quasi part of the organization.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:23 pm

I think the players let everyone know who they love -
LOUISVILLE - 45
WAKE - 21
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:07 pm

mike87 wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:03 pm
Don't agents only get paid when the client signs a new deal? Don't underestimate the power of an influencer who got you a life changing financial deal 2 years prior.
That is part of it as well and Sexton is in it for the money. All these coaches are represented by him but he still is going to push his client to take the payday anytime he can get it. If agents had to pay these buyouts when a client leaves a job early it would stop a lot of the quick movement. lol

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:22 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:23 pm
I think the players let everyone know who they love -
LOUISVILLE - 45
WAKE - 21
At Half he told the sideline reporter that they were starting 6 freshmen on the offense today
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

NoLongerLurking

Unread post by NoLongerLurking » Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:59 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:13 pm
I should go back in the archives to find my post which suggested that Satt take the gig, get fired after 3 years, pocket like $15m then return to Boone and coach App for 20 years. He could do it for $1 per year and still be comfortable the rest of his life.
And have Jerry on the sidelines as long as possible. Make Appalachian App Again.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”