Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Napier Turns Down Auburn

EastHallApp
School: Appalachian State

Re: Napier Turns Down Auburn

Unread post by EastHallApp » Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:52 pm

97APP wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:35 pm
Was the job actually his for the taking? Only reason I ask is you tend to hear names being withdrawn just before the next coach is hired. Meaning they were given the chance to make it appear like it was their choice.
I don't know, but people are being surprisingly credulous about Napier's repeated claims of "turning down" high-profile jobs.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:36 am

UAB's Bill Clark turned down Auburn as well. It appears that there's a degree of politics when it comes to keeping DC Kevin Steele on The Plains that is not appealing for many coaches. A donor faction wants Steele to be head coach for some insane reason.

It's starting to look like a poisoned well, kind of like a large scale version of when ECU fired Ruffin for one bad season and no good coach would go there, thus the program cratered under Scottie Mo.

moonshine

Unread post by moonshine » Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:46 pm

97APP wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:35 pm
Was the job actually his for the taking? Only reason I ask is you tend to hear names being withdrawn just before the next coach is hired. Meaning they were given the chance to make it appear like it was their choice.
According to a UL fan on the SBC board, Auburn seems to want to save some cash by keeping DC Steele and probably some other assistants on staff and not have to pay the buyouts. They thought Napier might be the guy since he's previously worked with Steele at Bama. Coming from the Saban tree, Napier probably follows that blueprint very closely, meaning he wants total control over his football program which Billy currently has at UL. Seeing Auburn's D ranked 60 and his Cajuns at 31, doesn't exactly instill confidence in a new head coach that will be under SEC scrutiny. I can see why Napier wants his own staff.

Not to mention, if you're going to coach in the SEC, it's better job security to be in the east where you don't have to play Bama and LSU every year.

I'm not knocking anyone for setting their family up with generational wealth but can you all imagine how nasty the SBC would be right now if Satt and Brown were still coaching in this conference with Napier and Chadwell? That would arguably be 4 of the top 25-30 college coaches in the nation in the SBC. :shock:
Picked up via free agency by the High Country All-Stars

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:28 pm

What happened to Arkansas State's HC? I see they've hired Sergeant Carter former UT head coach.
BLACK SATURDAY

moonshine

Unread post by moonshine » Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:30 pm

Black Saturday wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:28 pm
What happened to Arkansas State's HC? I see they've hired Sergeant Carter former UT head coach.
stAte will become the "champions of life" under Butch. Blake resigned and took the head gig at Utah St.
Picked up via free agency by the High Country All-Stars

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:48 pm

Why is this thread in the Appalachian Football section?
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

unknown

Unread post by unknown » Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:41 pm

yosef69 wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:16 pm

Our coaches leave for lesser programs than Auburn. Billy turns top 10 jobs down.
They called Satt too and he said no way after the way the USC deal went down

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:00 pm

Auburn should just move to the ACC conference and then go get a coach. Oklahoma can take their place in the SEC West.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

hotrod2001

Unread post by hotrod2001 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:14 pm

Black Saturday wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:31 pm
Somebody obviously dropped him on his head when he was born, foolish financial decision.
When you take a job at a place like Auburn, Texas, Alabama, Ohio State or Notre Dame it's almost like a political appointment. Yeah the money's good but I don't think I could spend all my time schmoozing with donors whose wealth would dwarf anything I'd ever make as a HC at even the biggest programs out there.

Just listening to callers on the Paul Finebaum Show for ten minutes is enough to tell me I wouldn't want an Auburn job either, lol.

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:16 pm

Looks like Auburn is "Zeroing" in on Bryan Harsin. Will be fun to watch the trickle down effect if indeed that is the pick.
FREQS AND GEEKS!

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:16 pm

I doubt he was offered the job.

Deliverance_People
School: Other

Unread post by Deliverance_People » Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:32 pm

Tbatchelor1977 wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:26 pm
yosef69 wrote:

Our coaches leave for lesser programs than Auburn. Billy turns top 10 jobs down.
He still has lingering effects of "The Miracle on the Mountain"... In his mind, he is the logical choice to take over Bama when Saban retires.. Bahahaha
Or thinks he is first in line for LSU if another bad year in Baton Rouge... Bahahaha
I know for a FACT that there is a faction in Baton Rouge that want to see O go. If they can find cause with all of this criminal/sexual assault cases, Napier is in line for that job. He’s not at the top of the list but a top candidate.

Deliverance_People

Unread post by Deliverance_People » Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:36 pm

AppAlum1 wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:52 pm
Black Saturday wrote:
Somebody obviously dropped him on his head when he was born, foolish financial decision.
I could not disagree more. A short term financial windfall possibility does not necessarily mean it was a bad decision to turn it down. It looks like to me that Napier might have been looking at the potential for long term employment too. Given his success at UL he could likely coach there until he wants to retire. Anyone elseremember Sparky?
Well said

Also, as long as Napier is in Lafayette, get used to second place.

Deliverance_People

Unread post by Deliverance_People » Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:37 pm

yosef69 wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 2:01 pm
AppAlum1 wrote:
Black Saturday wrote:
I could not disagree more. A short term financial windfall possibility does not necessarily mean it was a bad decision to turn it down. It looks like to me that Napier might have been looking at the potential for long term employment too. Given his success at UL he could likely coach there until he wants to retire. Anyone elseremember Sparky?
This is not about money. Say his contract was 4 million for 5 years, it would take him 20 years to make that at ULL.
It would take him less than 10 years

Deliverance_People

Unread post by Deliverance_People » Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:42 pm

unknown wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:41 pm
yosef69 wrote:

They called Satt too and he said no way after the way the USC deal went down
No they didn’t

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:57 pm

Just read through a lengthy Q&A thread on the Auburn 247 board with one of their reporters/publisher (I'm not sure which). Gleaned a couple things:

1. It sounds like Napier really did turn down the job. Others may have as well, or at least removed themselves from legitimate consideration.

2. Sticking points were apparently all sorts of organizational dysfunction. Trustees requiring him to keep numerous current assistants, plus he wasn't sure who his boss would be. Trustees, interim president and AD all trying to run the search directly. AD didn't want to fire Malzahn but wasn't allowed to make the call. Napier and others recognized they would be walking into a cluster and took a pass.

So not really about him wanting to retire in Lafayette or being so much more noble than the greed-driven monsters Satt and Drink.

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:24 am

AppAlum1 wrote:
Black Saturday wrote:
If it’s about money any coach could take one of theses huge P5 jobs and be set for life from the initial contract. They could completely fail and walk away with enough money in the bank to live off of.

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:21 pm

Deliverance_People wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:36 pm
AppAlum1 wrote:
Black Saturday wrote:
Well said

You are clearly a TROLL. The dude beat us one time and has won a share of 1 title yet you tell us to get used to second place???? You and the rest of your Cajuns can enjoy this year and the success you have because it won't last long, soon we will be back at the summit of the Sun Belt. Fortunately for you guys, you are already accustomed to second place so it will be a familiar feeling when we reclaim our title.

AppDub

Unread post by AppDub » Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:35 pm

t4pizza wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:21 pm
Deliverance_People wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:36 pm
AppAlum1 wrote:
Black Saturday wrote:
Well said

You are clearly a TROLL. The dude beat us one time and has won a share of 1 title yet you tell us to get used to second place???? You and the rest of your Cajuns can enjoy this year and the success you have because it won't last long, soon we will be back at the summit of the Sun Belt. Fortunately for you guys, you are already accustomed to second place so it will be a familiar feeling when we reclaim our title.
I read that to mean that as long as Napier coaches Lala, they should get used to 2nd place. Maybe I'm wrong and he is a troll, but thats how I took it.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:08 pm

Deliverance is a Cajun fan who started posting prior to our game this year.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”