Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Eric Church

NewApp
School: Appalachian State

Re: Eric Church

Unread post by NewApp » Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:01 pm

BeauFoster wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:47 pm
A tale as old as time...the MMB pearl clutching over someone’s choices in spending their money.

Some Apps realize that when they pull for or support other schools directly or indirectly that they are cutting into App recruiting, ticket sales, Neilson ratings and even market shares. Maybe just a small part...but still. Otherwise people can spend their money, time, and support anyway they want with a clear conscience. When App played the Heels in Holmes, there were App students wearing UNC garb. As I've mentioned before there is an App grad in my civic club who donates to WF and buys season tickets every year. Surely there has to be App/closet UNC fans, also. In fact i know a few.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:03 pm

appstatealum wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:47 pm
My first 10% goes to God and then Yosef.

Same here, my church needs it more than YOSEF in order to support our local and foreign missions.
Google SUX

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:22 pm

BallantyneApp wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:10 am
I listened to Eric Churchs song The Outsiders and I thought that the 1st part of it was pretty cool. I'm not sure I've listened to another song. I don't find country music to be appealing, and his outward support of UNC-CHeat is annoying.

I don't listen to enough/any country music to identify "bro country", but honestly Luke Combs stuff seems to fit the bill more. Its more of the beer+pickup+broken heart+dog formula for a lot of songs. I tried to listen to him for a couple of days because he seems like a good dude (and his rooting interests confirm that), but I just couldn't get into it. I wish him all the success though and he has boatloads of fans.

for the closet and outward tarhole fans:
1. normalizing the institutional cheating that happened for decades is not right. UNC perpetuated the largest instance of academic fraud in college sports history, and deserves to be punished for stealing an education from so many athletes in order to make a buck. Since our world is not just, they won't.
2. UNC uses its dominant athletic position to maintain the status quo. They take the lions share of resources and give App (through the UNCBOG-dominated by UNC grads) the LOWEST /STUDENT FUNDING IN THE UNC SYSTEM. UNC understands the connection between sports and politics, which is why they were willing to risk their accreditation in order to maintain athletic superiority.

yes, you are a very small cog in a huge machine, but if we take away enough of those cogs, we can start to balance the scales a little bit.
I didn’t realize how many Tar Heel fans we had on here. This thread has been an eye opener.

I can’t wait to embarrass them again when they come to Boone. Hope Mac retires after the game and they go 0-10 for eternity. Their basketball sucks too.

Go Apps.
YNWA

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:57 pm

Church can spend his money where he wants. Likewise, App fans that used to support him can get angry he'd rather support UNC over his alma mater and no longer support him... pretty simple.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

moonshine

Unread post by moonshine » Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:43 pm

Eric needs some church. He should be reminded of Ecclesiastes 3:13 (or maybe it was 34:31):

“Also that everyone should eat and drink and take pleasure in all his tailgates—Appalachian State Football-this is God's gift to man.”

Amen Eric!
Picked up via free agency by the High Country All-Stars

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:41 am

BeauFoster wrote:
A tale as old as time...the MMB pearl clutching over someone’s choices in spending their money.
As usual you miss the point. It’s not how he spends his money exactly. It’s that he chooses to help UNC instead of his alma mater which helped him be what he is today and he thanks us by promoting a school that detests us and its alumni State Board of Governors’ members craps on us every chance they get....and it was done in Chapel Hell at a football game vs us.
Google SUX

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:00 pm

NewApp wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:41 am
BeauFoster wrote:
As usual you miss the point. It’s not how he spends his money exactly. It’s that he chooses to help UNC instead of his alma mater which helped him be what he is today and he thanks us by promoting a school that detests us and its alumni State Board of Governors’ members craps on us every chance they get....and it was done in Chapel Hell at a football game vs us.
No, I just try to not judge others too much.

When the person is an obvious contrarian or moron, I’ll call them out. When a rich guy wants to spend his money, that’s not for me to judge.
Give 'em hell!

CoachRob

Unread post by CoachRob » Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:35 pm

NewApp wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:03 pm
appstatealum wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:47 pm
My first 10% goes to God and then Yosef.

Same here, my church needs it more than YOSEF in order to support our local and foreign missions.
+10000

APPRIDE

Unread post by APPRIDE » Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:30 pm

I sure hope if he is singing the national anthem this weekend that he reps more App gear than Carolina gear. Chances?

APPRIDE

Unread post by APPRIDE » Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:37 pm

I mean to hear Carolina fans tell us we should get over it, that he loved UNC way before he went to App, why didn’t he go to UNC? And if the answer is they rejected him then why the h*ll does he still lick their boots all day long?

NashvilleNeer

Unread post by NashvilleNeer » Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:13 pm

AppOrange wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:24 pm
ArmantiWaterSafety wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:04 pm
When we were a fan base divided over an election, I expected it. When we were a fan base divided over shoulder stripes, I was a bit surprised, but expected it. Even when we were a fan base divided over ice in cups, I begrudgingly accepted. When we became a fan base divided over whether or not a random guy who happens to be popular singing songs is a bum or not? Didn't see that.

For the record, I support App and NC State. You know why? I graduated from both. If they played each other, I'd pull for App. I will never, truly never, understand why people pull for colleges they did not attend or did not pay for their family members to attend. In my opinion, I try to equate it to professional sports; if I paid for Carolina Panthers season tickets, would I pull for Dallas if they played each other? Would I record a Dallas fan video?
I think people pull for other teams based on their situation. I was born in Syracuse NY, I rooted for the Orangemen my whole life, went to countless B-ball and Football games with family and loved ones. We moved to NC when I was young, but I grew up in an Orange house. Presents every year were Syracuse clothes, it was my team for 18 years, emotionally connected to say the least.

Then I went to App.

I don't tune into the games like I used to, my donations, clothing, time, passion is all Black and Gold. I drive from Raleigh for every game, and give all that I can to YOSEF. But, I still root for the Orange, as they are a distant second of my overall college fandom; you just can't turn that kind of history and family connection off. Like you, its laughable to even ask the question who I would root for should they ever play each other (App vs Syr). Of all the conversations I have seen on this board over the years, I feel like those who take a hard line on this are being exceptionally closed minded and unwilling to see others perspectives. I do understand some examples, like rooting for say UNC over the Apps in Basketball, etc, but to draw a hard line and question my passion for APP b/c I happen to like another team, well, that's sad and inflexible imo. It should be noted that this is not directed at you, yet is a response to the question you posted.
This is how I feel about UNC as well. Same situation as well. Took a few classes online at UNC as well if that counts enough for the hardos out there, but rooted like HELL for App vs UNC. I'm also realistic. I know where App stands on the pecking order in college athletics. Is it a different level and type of fandom? Absolutely, but to be like, "you can't watch and support another schools athletic program when they're on" is ridiculous. It's college athletics, it's basically a pro sport. It's not that serious. It's all for entertainment. I'd love for UNC and App to become rivals and maybe my fandom would change, but they're not right now and won't realistically be for a long time, if ever.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:02 pm

If I didn't eat or shop at stores I didn't agree with 100% of their beliefs. Or if I only choose to converse with people that I agree with my life would be miserable.

It's time to cancel cancel culture.

APPRIDE

Unread post by APPRIDE » Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:41 pm

Of course I watch a lot of college sports involving other teams and I’m highly entertained by it all, it’s a sporting event. But to have someone fawn all over another school when they attended and graduated from App is what I don’t get. It’s the same thing that pisses me off about Chris Kelly, not his real name, at Rock 92. These people are in position to really talk up their alma mater yet they go out of their way to choose other schools to support and talk up. Those other schools have enough bandwagon fans.
I get it that regular students walk around campus with other college apparel on, although I never understood that, but in this case were talking about people of influence that we could use more of on our side than the other side. Especially the Carolina side, the ultimate goober-ville of bandwagon fans.

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:06 pm

To me, it all boils down to financial support. Growing up on NC in the 80s and 90s, and not having previous direct ties to App, how could you be a fan? It certainly wasn’t through televised sporting events. ACC basketball was king, everyone pulled for UNC, Duke or State for whatever reason and that was your team. Teachers stopped class to watch the ACC tournament. It’s who you pretended to be on the pick up ball courts and talked about at recess. Those allegiances don’t die overnight. I hate UNC, always have and will, but I’m not losing sleep because your typical App alumni cheers for them on the basketball court. What I do have a problem with is anyone who donates money to UNC, Duke, state, etc. knowing those schools have all the money in the world to spend on athletic budgets when App is barely scraping by.
This is the problem I have with EC. Although he supposedly donates to App, he spends way more time promoting UNC. Someone with his stature could do SO much for App if he spent as much time plugging App as he did the baby blue.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:32 pm

I watch Duke BB and was a Duke BB fan before I ever heard of APP. I will continue to be a Duke BB fan. That is not at all unusual. I would guess that most of the student body grew up watching other teams. Let's face it how would you have watched APP on tv when they were not on tv. BUT!!!! I would never wear a Duke jersey to an APP - Duke game. So he lives next door to their coach. He may go to every game at Carolina and sit in the coaches box. I could care less. What I do care about is walking into the stadium and seeing him on the jumbo in Carolina gear. That says one thing and one thing only to me as an APP fan. He is a jackass. I don't give a crap if he gives us $10,000,000 he is a jackass and I wouldn't give him the time of day. Again I really don't give a hoot who he pulls for till he pulls against us. Jerk.

mike87

Unread post by mike87 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:56 pm

To me, it's UNC. I tolerated them and pulled for them against Duke (sorry coach) but after the cheating scandal and worse than just the cheating the arrogance of the way it was addressed, they are a no-go for me and I can't see why anyone with or without ties to them would continue to support them.

That said, I also don't give a rip about Church. His loss if he can't find his way back up the mountain.

yosef95

Unread post by yosef95 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:32 pm

Let's let this die. For anyone annoyed, take solace that App came to CH last yr and ruined his day

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:01 pm

Can we amend the banner at the top to “No political posts, no Eric Church posts”? This gets old. It’s the same argument over and over and over.
Give 'em hell!

APPRIDE

Unread post by APPRIDE » Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:31 pm

BeauFoster wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:01 pm
Can we amend the banner at the top to “No political posts, no Eric Church posts”? This gets old. It’s the same argument over and over and over.
so your cool with him if he sings the national anthem wearing UNC gear at the biggest televised sporting event in the country?

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:37 pm

APPRIDE wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:31 pm
BeauFoster wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:01 pm
so your cool with him if he sings the national anthem wearing UNC gear at the biggest televised sporting event in the country?
I don’t give a rats ass what he does. It’s his life, he’s free to live it however he sees fit. Who am I to judge another?
Give 'em hell!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”