Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Marshall Coach Let Go

APPRIDE
School: Appalachian State

Re: Marshall Coach Let Go

Unread post by APPRIDE » Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:16 pm

AppinVA wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:22 pm
appchicago wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:31 pm
AppinVA wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:21 pm
He won one conference championship in 11 years. One. I hope we never have to find out if that’s unacceptable at Appalachian.
Sure, but you’ve got to admit it’s a weird year to let him go. They looked amazing until the end of November and then had an end-of-season slide. 7-0 and then 3 straight losses.

They went 3-9 in 2016. Seems like that would have been the time to can him.
Maybe, maybe not. Right now there is no buyout, since his contract was up. They did lose their last three games, and looking at how they played, there may have been something wrong inside the locker room that has yet to surface. I mean, they lost to RICE. I’m speculating, I’ll admit. There is no good way out. Do you renew him? No extension under four years promotes a vote of confidence, and then if next year is worse, you have a three-year buyout. In a way, the timing was pretty good from the university’s standpoint. Sometimes you have to cut bait. It’s that simple.
Actually what you’re saying does make a lot of sense so I can see this angle also.
It’s just gonna be hard to improve on what they did this year and after about two or three years I can see the grumbling that they should never have taken this step.

Any chance TP gets the job?

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:44 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:38 pm
And this is exactly why coaches leave when they get the call to move up. There isn't any loyalty. A coach that's been there for 11 years, 3 division championships, 1 conference championship, 6-2 in bowl games, and a high graduation rate gets let go right after they are top 25 for majority of the season.
The last sentence is 100% true and also about the most favorable selection of facts you could have chosen to describe Holliday's tenure.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:56 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:44 pm
AppStateNews wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:38 pm
And this is exactly why coaches leave when they get the call to move up. There isn't any loyalty. A coach that's been there for 11 years, 3 division championships, 1 conference championship, 6-2 in bowl games, and a high graduation rate gets let go right after they are top 25 for majority of the season.
The last sentence is 100% true and also about the most favorable selection of facts you could have chosen to describe Holliday's tenure.
That's fair. I don't know the inner workings of Marshall, but the eye test shows he's been successful.

Satterfield said it best when he was here -- in this profession, you have to keep looking to better yourself in this profession. The coaches owe it to themselves and their families to get as much money as possible because tomorrow they could be gone.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:01 pm

APPRIDE wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:16 pm
AppinVA wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:22 pm
appchicago wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:31 pm
AppinVA wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:21 pm
He won one conference championship in 11 years. One. I hope we never have to find out if that’s unacceptable at Appalachian.
Sure, but you’ve got to admit it’s a weird year to let him go. They looked amazing until the end of November and then had an end-of-season slide. 7-0 and then 3 straight losses.

They went 3-9 in 2016. Seems like that would have been the time to can him.
Maybe, maybe not. Right now there is no buyout, since his contract was up. They did lose their last three games, and looking at how they played, there may have been something wrong inside the locker room that has yet to surface. I mean, they lost to RICE. I’m speculating, I’ll admit. There is no good way out. Do you renew him? No extension under four years promotes a vote of confidence, and then if next year is worse, you have a three-year buyout. In a way, the timing was pretty good from the university’s standpoint. Sometimes you have to cut bait. It’s that simple.
Actually what you’re saying does make a lot of sense so I can see this angle also.
It’s just gonna be hard to improve on what they did this year and after about two or three years I can see the grumbling that they should never have taken this step.

Any chance TP gets the job?
They have to make the right hire, which I realize is easier said than done. I wish them the best of luck, with one obvious exception.

As for TP, they like him, so if he wants a head coaching job, it’s probably his best chance. Id like for him to see App when the offense is running at peak effectively — from the opposite sideline.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”