Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

NCAA Basketball Men's Tourney RPI vs NET

McLeansvilleAppFan
School: Appalachian State

NCAA Basketball Men's Tourney RPI vs NET

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:29 pm

With the ACC looking very weak this year now that UVa lost I wonder what the seeding would have looked like had the RPI been used instead of the NET ratings. My gut tells me there are some overrated teams getting some high seeds that maybe they did not deserve.

Then again maybe it is just me. Knowing how the Prig5 schools handle the CFP in a fair and upright and transparent manner I am sure those same schools would apply the same process to the men's basketball tournament and give an equally fair shake to mid-major basketball programs.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

EastHallApp

Re: NCAA Basketball Men's Tourney RPI vs NET

Unread post by EastHallApp » Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:47 pm

The RPI was an antiquated system that was 75% strength of schedule, 25% W/L and didn't include any modern metrics of how a team plays (margin of victory, points per possession, etc.) It was also too easy to game through scheduling, as entire leagues (hello Mountain West) eventually figured out.

The NET is not the best system out there, and it was less accurate this year because of the reduced OOC schedule, but it is better than what it replaced.

High-seeded teams get upset every year. Virginia was hardly surprising considering they couldn't practice all week and just arrived in Indy yesterday. Everyone knew the ACC was down, and their seeds reflected that. The B1G is the league that's really underperformed so far.

Lastly, the CFP is not a good comparison because, while that event is owned by ESPN and selected by a committee that really does shut out the G5, the basketball tournament is selected by an NCAA committee that actually gives every league a chance. I mean half the field every year is from mid-majors and low-majors, the #1 overall seed is from the WCC, and an AAC team got a 2 seed. BYU and San Diego State both got 6 seeds and got dominated by 11 seeds from power conferences.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Re: NCAA Basketball Men's Tourney RPI vs NET

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:52 am

EastHallApp wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:47 pm
The RPI was an antiquated system that was 75% strength of schedule, 25% W/L and didn't include any modern metrics
I can't believe you are bringing logic and facts to my rant. :-)

RPI was not perfect but it is interesting it is still used in other NCAA sanctioned tournaments from my understanding.

With that said just glad to see the Prig5 schools taking it on the chin this year.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”