Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

WCU Football

McLeansvilleAppFan
School: Appalachian State

WCU Football

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:14 am

WCU has won three in a row. Been a while since anyone has typed that.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

Yosef84

Re: WCU Football

Unread post by Yosef84 » Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:55 am

Personally, I'm happy for them. Western's problems in building any type of success for their football program is baffling for me. A few weeks ago, I looked at their schedule and really didn't see a W on it, based on the first half of the season. Good for them!

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:12 am

That's great. I thought that it was two in a row. Three is fantastic for them.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:15 am

WCU be saying "we want Bama"
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

goapps

Unread post by goapps » Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:44 am

Hope they turn it around but I think that there may be some sort of "Bob Waters curse" at work down in Jackson County.

CVAPP

Unread post by CVAPP » Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:14 am

A 3 game W streak is no indicator things are on the mend, but hey, you gotta start somewhere. I agree with goapps, the place is cursed. Still, I wish them the best. I have friends and family that did time in the whee. I always enjoyed going to games there, but I am happy we will never be going back to E. J. Whitmire.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:52 am

CVAPP wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:14 am
A 3 game W streak is no indicator things are on the mend, but hey, you gotta start somewhere. I agree with goapps, the place is cursed. Still, I wish them the best. I have friends and family that did time in the whee. I always enjoyed going to games there, but I am happy we will never be going back to E. J. Whitmire.
I feel the same, which I why I posted the info. I wish them no ill will but the reality is that their football has always been bad, with a few exceptions. There were a few times they had our number for multiple years but it was rare. And generally they were at best a 500 school some years, with a few years here and there with good results.

ECU is not much better historically. Check on winispedia. Lots of up and down with ECU, and a few years in a row of winning, but the norm is up and down with not much sustained success.

In contrast, App has had only a few years of consecutive losing seasons. Losing seasons are rare for us, though they happen, but two in a row is very rare, and I am not sure if three in a row has ever happened. It is a different football culture here with success breading success.

http://www.winsipedia.com/appalachian-state

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:12 am

CVAPP wrote:
A 3 game W streak is no indicator things are on the mend, but hey, you gotta start somewhere.
That reminds me:

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:40 am

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:52 am
CVAPP wrote:
I feel the same, which I why I posted the info. I wish them no ill will but the reality is that their football has always been bad, with a few exceptions. There were a few times they had our number for multiple years but it was rare. And generally they were at best a 500 school some years, with a few years here and there with good results.

ECU is not much better historically. Check on winispedia. Lots of up and down with ECU, and a few years in a row of winning, but the norm is up and down with not much sustained success.

In contrast, App has had only a few years of consecutive losing seasons. Losing seasons are rare for us, though they happen, but two in a row is very rare, and I am not sure if three in a row has ever happened. It is a different football culture here with success breading success.

Pretty wild that 59 of our 645 wins are against Western Carolina; That's the most 10% of our wins. That's bad for them but then when I think about how bad they are, it takes the tiniest little bit of prestige away from our high percentage win rate.....

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:40 pm

They hired a proven coach , if he can't get them above .500 ...well it's bad .I have some great memories from playing them , and a couple of nightmares.No ill wishes , they beat FU yesterday so that's a plus.

MAD Doctor

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:05 pm

CUSA is on line one. :lol:

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:30 am

HighlandsApp wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:40 am
McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:52 am
CVAPP wrote:

Pretty wild that 59 of our 645 wins are against Western Carolina; That's the most 10% of our wins. That's bad for them but then when I think about how bad they are, it takes the tiniest little bit of prestige away from our high percentage win rate.....
I don't think it diminishes our achievements at all. They were a conference rival and had resources similar to what we had for most of that time. I do think it diminishes programs like Alabama who schedule them voluntarily. Just my opinion of course

CharlotteApp05

Unread post by CharlotteApp05 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:38 pm

I always thought they would benefit from our success. Rising tide lifts all boats. As it became harder to get into App, as we recruited higher level athletes, our leftovers would get better and better.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:58 pm

CharlotteApp05 wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:38 pm
I always thought they would benefit from our success. Rising tide lifts all boats. As it became harder to get into App, as we recruited higher level athletes, our leftovers would get better and better.
I kind of thought the same thing. Once we moved up to FBS, I thought they might pick up some transfers who weren't getting playing time at App, especially with Speer's connections to the App staff. Never seemed to materialize though.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:46 pm

The did not go 4 in a row. Dropped the game to ETSU 56-35

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”