Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Coastal Carolina QB may be done for year?

AppStFan1
School: Appalachian State

Coastal Carolina QB may be done for year?

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:52 am

There is buzz he is considering leaving early or going to the portal. Wonder if Chadwell is shopping himself and Grayson McCall as a pair to P5 schools? Chadwell indeed wants out of Conway for a big payday. I was told he wants a big payday before but if it is just that then he could get that from Moglia giving an extra 2.5M a year for the remainder of his deal.

https://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/sport ... 74721.html

AppStateNews

Re: Coastal Carolina QB may be done for year?

Unread post by AppStateNews » Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:26 am

Chadwell put the kid back in after a clear concussion. I'm no longer aware how a player gets clearance from concussion protocol, but there is no doubt in my mind he was properly looked at.

When a player nails his head on the ground, goes limp, is motionless for a second, has trouble standing up, can barely walk, AND pukes everywhere, you cannot tell me he doesn't have a concussion.

I am hoping whoever made the boneheaded decision to clear him did not ruin the kids career. And that person needs to be out of a job.

Even if he cleared the initial tests, any trainer/doctor/coach that has been around the game for more than 20 minutes knows he should not have gone back in with those symptoms. Concussion tests, if done properly (especially with those symptoms), should take more than the 30 seconds they took.

I just hope they didn't ruin the kids career.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:38 am

AppStateNews wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:26 am
Chadwell put the kid back in after a clear concussion. I'm no longer aware how a player gets clearance from concussion protocol, but there is no doubt in my mind he was properly looked at.

When a player nails his head on the ground, goes limp, is motionless for a second, has trouble standing up, can barely walk, AND pukes everywhere, you cannot tell me he doesn't have a concussion.

I am hoping whoever made the boneheaded decision to clear him did not ruin the kids career. And that person needs to be out of a job.

Even if he cleared the initial tests, any trainer/doctor/coach that has been around the game for more than 20 minutes knows he should not have gone back in with those symptoms. Concussion tests, if done properly (especially with those symptoms), should take more than the 30 seconds they took.

I just hope they didn't ruin the kids career.
We had a thread going during that game. I recall seeing McCall on the sideline doing what appeared to be some basic tests (how many fingers am I holding up type stuff). I know that I commented that there’s no way he was good but somebody said that the trainers would not let him back in if he wasn’t good. There was no way he was ok. Like you said, a guy doesn’t get knocked silly, lay on the ground, puke twice and fall down a few times then magically gets better in like 10 minutes. Either he talked his way back out there or some coach said that he was fine. Smelled fishy that night it was happening

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:35 pm

The NCAA has clear and concise protocols on concussion evaluation. The NCAA requires that the player be evaluated by an athletic trainer or medical personnel with concussion protocol training. Based on that, one has to assume that Coastal has trained personnel on the sidelines, as the NCAA requires such. We know that he went in to the tent but we don’t know what type of evaluation was done. If he was cleared to go in and he shouldn’t have been, then that falls on the medical and training staff of Coastal.

kornegaylw

Unread post by kornegaylw » Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:54 pm

No disrespect to McCall but he should not have been in the game. Go watch the play. 1:20:30 mark via the link below.

Given what we know about Chadwell and his history at other schools and how he didn't want to play the rest of the Sun Belt schedule last year does it surprise anyone we are having this conversation?

I bet McCall barely passed the concussion protocols, Chadwell let him back in the game against someone's recommendation and now that McCall is hurt that person is speaking out about it internally. The players and staff probably see the writing on the wall with Chadwell and are looking elsewhere.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:01 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:35 pm
The NCAA has clear and concise protocols on concussion evaluation. The NCAA requires that the player be evaluated by an athletic trainer or medical personnel with concussion protocol training. Based on that, one has to assume that Coastal has trained personnel on the sidelines, as the NCAA requires such. We know that he went in to the tent but we don’t know what type of evaluation was done. If he was cleared to go in and he shouldn’t have been, then that falls on the medical and training staff of Coastal.
They indeed have them but I'm sure they felt pressure to put him back in if he wanted to go in. If McCall had told them he can't go in because he can't see straight or something then he would not have gone in. If he is done then someone should be in trouble for sure.

Maybe the rest of their games are a little closer but the backup should still be able to finish this stretch without a loss.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:02 pm

kornegaylw wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:54 pm
No disrespect to McCall but he should not have been in the game. Go watch the play. 1:20:30 mark via the link below.

Given what we know about Chadwell and his history at other schools and how he didn't want to play the rest of the Sun Belt schedule last year does it surprise anyone we are having this conversation?

I bet McCall barely passed the concussion protocols, Chadwell let him back in the game against someone's recommendation and now that McCall is hurt that person is speaking out about it internally. The players and staff probably see the writing on the wall with Chadwell and are looking elsewhere.
Agreed. Chadwell is shady and it would not shock me but we don't have definite proof. If he did what you said then I hope someone on the team comes out and exposes it.

mikeyosef

Unread post by mikeyosef » Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:06 pm

I watched that game live and he took a helmet to helmet hit, i think two plays before he left. I could not believe they didn't stop the game and review the play for targeting but Coastal was in a hurry up offense and snapped the ball really fast. McCall looked a little off immediately after the hit but continued to play until he barfed and went down on a knee a two plays later. He didn't appear to have injured his shoulder, at least in that series but I'd be shocked if he didn't have a concussion. If I was his father and found out he was put back in with a concussion, you can bet he would be sitting out for a while if not hitting the portal asap. The player is always going to want to play unless they cannot or more importantly they are told they can't play. It is the responsibility of the training and coaching staff to make sure the welfare of the young man is considered first. Chadwell reminds me of the coach in Varsity Blues that kept putting Billy Bob back in after he was clearly concussed.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:13 pm

kornegaylw wrote:

That is a two different things. You are making way to many assumptions based off the limited information that you can glean off observation. You assume that he took a hit to the head that caused him to vomit which leads you to your next assumption that Chadwell ignored a medical recommendation at the detriment of someone’s health. Which leads to your third assumption that the reported shoulder injury is some sort of coverup to prevent a lawsuit. That is a great deal of assumption without proof. I get that people think Chadwell is shady. But none of the issues in the past have been around the well being of his players.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:19 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Correct. I know there are clear and concise protocols. The tests they do are based on a baseline test all NCAA players have to take prior to their season starting. However, every trainer/doctor/coach knows even if you pass those tests, it doesn't mean you don't have a concussion. Those tests are just preliminary -- they are not definitive. As a former player, I have had to go through those tests more than once. I am sure they have changed since my playing days (hence my "no longer aware" on my initial post), but the premise stays the same.

You go through the preliminary tests to confirm there isn't anything that needs urgent medical attention. From there, trainers/doctors/coaches go on symptoms shown (i.e. inability to walk a straight line, inability to stand up, aggressively vomitting on the field, etc.) to see if a player should be held out for further evaluation. The symptoms McCall had were clear concussion. He may have cleared the baseline test, but he did not clear the symptom test. Again, clearing the baseline test is ONLY to confirm there isn't more urgent medical need. You cannot confirm a concussion on those test -- you can only confirm suspicion with those tests.

Bottom line -- somebody really messed up. Now, it's well known I think Chadwell is not a good person (for various reason -- some not relating to football) and it would not surprise me if he pushed to get McCall back in. We will never know (unless a player/trainer/doctor comes out with it) as Chadwell will not admit to it. Just like he won't admit to knowingly playing players not even enrolled at Charleston Southern but is well known in the industry it happened.

Again, I just hope McCall isn't hurt to the point his career is danger because somebody made a terrible decision to let him back in the game. That helmet should have been taken away and he should have been in the locker room (or wherever their medical facilities are) for much further evaluation.
tAPPedInSports.net

kornegaylw

Unread post by kornegaylw » Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:22 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:13 pm
kornegaylw wrote:

That is a two different things. You are making way to many assumptions based off the limited information that you can glean off observation. You assume that he took a hit to the head that caused him to vomit which leads you to your next assumption that Chadwell ignored a medical recommendation at the detriment of someone’s health. Which leads to your third assumption that the reported shoulder injury is some sort of coverup to prevent a lawsuit. That is a great deal of assumption without proof. I get that people think Chadwell is shady. But none of the issues in the past have been around the well being of his players.
Yes I am making many assumptions...but how is that different than any other thread on this website? I'm sharing my thoughts on the matter and I call them like I see them

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:25 pm

kornegaylw wrote:
The players and staff probably see the writing on the wall with Chadwell and are looking elsewhere.
I know for a fact of at least one staff member that no longer wants to be there. However, he is kind of stuck until someone else comes calling or he changes his career. He still has a family to feed.
tAPPedInSports.net

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:33 pm

Says much about the coach. If I am not mistaken, I do not see him go over once to check on him. I sse HCs go on field to check on players, etc. I may have missed as they did not show video entire time he was down by sideline
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

CharlotteApp05

Unread post by CharlotteApp05 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:35 pm

At least one, but probably 2 (Tony and Josh) who know what a real program looks like.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:01 pm

I saw the play (2 plays before he came out) and it didn't look that bad in live action nor in replay but what it did look like is he got a whiplash as he went to ground. I didn't see a blatant helmet to helmet either. Sometimes when you go down with a 270 lb LB riding to the ground and then you bounce it whips the spine/head against the ground.

On the medical/coaches evaluation that is a separate issue and probably he shouldn't have gone back in but that should be based on eval not on visual of actual play because that is often difficult to gauge as in this case.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:19 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:19 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Correct. I know there are clear and concise protocols. The tests they do are based on a baseline test all NCAA players have to take prior to their season starting. However, every trainer/doctor/coach knows even if you pass those tests, it doesn't mean you don't have a concussion. Those tests are just preliminary -- they are not definitive. As a former player, I have had to go through those tests more than once. I am sure they have changed since my playing days (hence my "no longer aware" on my initial post), but the premise stays the same.

You go through the preliminary tests to confirm there isn't anything that needs urgent medical attention. From there, trainers/doctors/coaches go on symptoms shown (i.e. inability to walk a straight line, inability to stand up, aggressively vomitting on the field, etc.) to see if a player should be held out for further evaluation. The symptoms McCall had were clear concussion. He may have cleared the baseline test, but he did not clear the symptom test. Again, clearing the baseline test is ONLY to confirm there isn't more urgent medical need. You cannot confirm a concussion on those test -- you can only confirm suspicion with those tests.

Bottom line -- somebody really messed up. Now, it's well known I think Chadwell is not a good person (for various reason -- some not relating to football) and it would not surprise me if he pushed to get McCall back in. We will never know (unless a player/trainer/doctor comes out with it) as Chadwell will not admit to it. Just like he won't admit to knowingly playing players not even enrolled at Charleston Southern but is well known in the industry it happened.

Again, I just hope McCall isn't hurt to the point his career is danger because somebody made a terrible decision to let him back in the game. That helmet should have been taken away and he should have been in the locker room (or wherever their medical facilities are) for much further evaluation.
Yes. I am well versed in your opinion of Chadwell. See you Saturday. Don’t forget to pack the TV mount.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:37 pm

kornegaylw wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:22 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
kornegaylw wrote:

Yes I am making many assumptions...but how is that different than any other thread on this website? I'm sharing my thoughts on the matter and I call them like I see them
Sorry. I’m just not a fan of guilty until proven innocent. In the court of public opinion or in the judicial system.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:40 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:37 pm
kornegaylw wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
kornegaylw wrote:

Sorry. I’m just not a fan of guilty until proven innocent. In the court of public opinion or in the judicial system.
I do think our dislike of Chadwell is clouding our judgment somewhat. The assumption seems to be that he would risk McCall's career to further his own. That's a pretty heavy charge to make.

mikeyosef

Unread post by mikeyosef » Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:06 pm

hapapp wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:40 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
kornegaylw wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
kornegaylw wrote:

I do think our dislike of Chadwell is clouding our judgment somewhat. The assumption seems to be that he would risk McCall's career to further his own. That's a pretty heavy charge to make.
You're right we don't like him, but I understand his players love the guy, at least that's what I heard from someone who's nephew played for him. That not withstanding the kid, threw-up, staggered to the sideline with the help of another player, and then took a knee getting up a little wobbly. How many of us believe Clark would have put Brice back in in a few plays later given the same scenario? How many of us think Coach Clark would not have checked on Brice on the sidelines given the same scenario? Hell, how many of us believe Clark wouldn't have met Brice half-way to see if he was okay, given the same scenario? I hope McCall is okay; he's very talented and I say every time I've seen him play, starting before we played them last year, I wish we had him....I can't say the same for Chadwell, he may be a good motivator but they can keep his sorry ass.

kornegaylw

Unread post by kornegaylw » Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:14 pm

mikeyosef wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:06 pm
hapapp wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:40 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
kornegaylw wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:

You're right we don't like him, but I understand his players love the guy, at least that's what I heard from someone who's nephew played for him. That not withstanding the kid, threw-up, staggered to the sideline with the help of another player, and then took a knee getting up a little wobbly. How many of us believe Clark would have put Brice back in in a few plays later given the same scenario? How many of us think Coach Clark would not have checked on Brice on the sidelines given the same scenario? Hell, how many of us believe Clark wouldn't have met Brice half-way to see if he was okay, given the same scenario? I hope McCall is okay; he's very talented and I say every time I've seen him play, starting before we played them last year, I wish we had him....I can't say the same for Chadwell, he may be a good motivator but they can keep his sorry ass.
My sentiments exactly.

We're lucky to have Clark so lets donate to Yosef to keep him and his crew

Go APP!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”