Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Coastal Carolina QB may be done for year?

BUTCH1991
School: Appalachian State

Re: Coastal Carolina QB may be done for year?

Unread post by BUTCH1991 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:27 pm

I know that McCall was quoted in the MB newspaper that he took a shot to the stomach and that's what made him puke. I don't know it for fact, but McCall's name was the one quoted with the statement

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:59 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:19 pm
AppStateNews wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:19 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:35 pm
The NCAA has clear and concise protocols on concussion evaluation. The NCAA requires that the player be evaluated by an athletic trainer or medical personnel with concussion protocol training. Based on that, one has to assume that Coastal has trained personnel on the sidelines, as the NCAA requires such. We know that he went in to the tent but we don’t know what type of evaluation was done. If he was cleared to go in and he shouldn’t have been, then that falls on the medical and training staff of Coastal.
Correct. I know there are clear and concise protocols. The tests they do are based on a baseline test all NCAA players have to take prior to their season starting. However, every trainer/doctor/coach knows even if you pass those tests, it doesn't mean you don't have a concussion. Those tests are just preliminary -- they are not definitive. As a former player, I have had to go through those tests more than once. I am sure they have changed since my playing days (hence my "no longer aware" on my initial post), but the premise stays the same.

You go through the preliminary tests to confirm there isn't anything that needs urgent medical attention. From there, trainers/doctors/coaches go on symptoms shown (i.e. inability to walk a straight line, inability to stand up, aggressively vomitting on the field, etc.) to see if a player should be held out for further evaluation. The symptoms McCall had were clear concussion. He may have cleared the baseline test, but he did not clear the symptom test. Again, clearing the baseline test is ONLY to confirm there isn't more urgent medical need. You cannot confirm a concussion on those test -- you can only confirm suspicion with those tests.

Bottom line -- somebody really messed up. Now, it's well known I think Chadwell is not a good person (for various reason -- some not relating to football) and it would not surprise me if he pushed to get McCall back in. We will never know (unless a player/trainer/doctor comes out with it) as Chadwell will not admit to it. Just like he won't admit to knowingly playing players not even enrolled at Charleston Southern but is well known in the industry it happened.

Again, I just hope McCall isn't hurt to the point his career is danger because somebody made a terrible decision to let him back in the game. That helmet should have been taken away and he should have been in the locker room (or wherever their medical facilities are) for much further evaluation.
Yes. I am well versed in your opinion of Chadwell. See you Saturday. Don’t forget to pack the TV mount.
?????? You will not see me Saturday, I don't think. I don't know who you are. There are a couple of us on this account, so that may be why...
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:10 pm

hapapp wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:40 pm
I do think our dislike of Chadwell is clouding our judgment somewhat. The assumption seems to be that he would risk McCall's career to further his own. That's a pretty heavy charge to make.
It wouldn't be the first time. Gerald Turner's career was ended after Chadwell "begged" him to come back early from knee surgery in 2015. He went from playing at South Carolina, getting hurt there so he transferred to be closer to home, to barely being able to walk and unable to even complete his college career because Chadwell pressured him into playing before he was fully cleared to play.

There's another player whose name is escaping my mind right now that had a similar thing happen. There's a reason he's been investigated at every stop he's been at. And it's not all just cheating....
tAPPedInSports.net

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:11 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:59 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:19 pm
AppStateNews wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:19 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:35 pm
The NCAA has clear and concise protocols on concussion evaluation. The NCAA requires that the player be evaluated by an athletic trainer or medical personnel with concussion protocol training. Based on that, one has to assume that Coastal has trained personnel on the sidelines, as the NCAA requires such. We know that he went in to the tent but we don’t know what type of evaluation was done. If he was cleared to go in and he shouldn’t have been, then that falls on the medical and training staff of Coastal.
Correct. I know there are clear and concise protocols. The tests they do are based on a baseline test all NCAA players have to take prior to their season starting. However, every trainer/doctor/coach knows even if you pass those tests, it doesn't mean you don't have a concussion. Those tests are just preliminary -- they are not definitive. As a former player, I have had to go through those tests more than once. I am sure they have changed since my playing days (hence my "no longer aware" on my initial post), but the premise stays the same.

You go through the preliminary tests to confirm there isn't anything that needs urgent medical attention. From there, trainers/doctors/coaches go on symptoms shown (i.e. inability to walk a straight line, inability to stand up, aggressively vomitting on the field, etc.) to see if a player should be held out for further evaluation. The symptoms McCall had were clear concussion. He may have cleared the baseline test, but he did not clear the symptom test. Again, clearing the baseline test is ONLY to confirm there isn't more urgent medical need. You cannot confirm a concussion on those test -- you can only confirm suspicion with those tests.

Bottom line -- somebody really messed up. Now, it's well known I think Chadwell is not a good person (for various reason -- some not relating to football) and it would not surprise me if he pushed to get McCall back in. We will never know (unless a player/trainer/doctor comes out with it) as Chadwell will not admit to it. Just like he won't admit to knowingly playing players not even enrolled at Charleston Southern but is well known in the industry it happened.

Again, I just hope McCall isn't hurt to the point his career is danger because somebody made a terrible decision to let him back in the game. That helmet should have been taken away and he should have been in the locker room (or wherever their medical facilities are) for much further evaluation.
Yes. I am well versed in your opinion of Chadwell. See you Saturday. Don’t forget to pack the TV mount.
?????? You will not see me Saturday, I don't think. I don't know who you are. There are a couple of us on this account, so that may be why...
Yeah I know. I just wanted to find out if you were the one whose opinion I respect.

mikeyosef

Unread post by mikeyosef » Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:45 pm

BUTCH1991 wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:27 pm
I know that McCall was quoted in the MB newspaper that he took a shot to the stomach and that's what made him puke. I don't know it for fact, but McCall's name was the one quoted with the statement
I saw that as well. That may be true but I think it was more likely an expeditious way to move on to the next question. If he said, yeah, I got my bell rung then he would be hanging his coach and trainers out to dry as well as imperil his chances of playing in the next game. Every player wants to play and no one would question whether McCall is a team player or not. Remember, the coach has said the issue is his shoulder; that's not likely to make you throw up or get up woozy unless you did major damage, the kind of damage where you can't go back in to play. If you notice the play where he is tackled hard, his helmet does hit the helmet of the defensive player and then bounces off the ground. He is laying there on his back and an offensive lineman literally picks him up. This is my last post on this, as I think I have beaten this dead horse into submission. Sorry folks.

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:11 pm

All this speculation off of a statement that says there is a “buzz” going around that MCCall is leaving early. Kind of crazy. And if he is, a lot of guys who get a hot hand in the G5 want to move up to the P5. As for the concussion angle, way to many assumptions. I’ve had pain so bad from a good hit that I puked and I didn’t have a concussion.

Yosef1986

Unread post by Yosef1986 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:11 pm

On Chadwell - never met him - might be a good guy - might not. However, the way he handles the CCU team, press conferences etc.... Would not be the exposure I would want if I was within the CCU program. He is building a brand - not sure this is the branch CCU wants. Who knows.
Makes me even more proud of the App State culture and the way Coach handles himself - he is a great ambassador for App State!!

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:21 pm

Mjohn1988 wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:11 pm
All this speculation off of a statement that says there is a “buzz” going around that MCCall is leaving early. Kind of crazy. And if he is, a lot of guys who get a hot hand in the G5 want to move up to the P5. As for the concussion angle, way to many assumptions. I’ve had pain so bad from a good hit that I puked and I didn’t have a concussion.
Did you also lay motionless for a second, literally have to be picked up by a teammate, stumble once you got on your feet, have to be helped to the sideline, and then take a knee and puke again? Anyone that's played football at a high level has had pain that makes you nauseous. Not everyone has all the other symptoms accompanying it -- unless they're concussed.

Sure, it's all speculation because nobody is going to throw anyone under the bus. Kid had a concussion and went back in.
tAPPedInSports.net

yosef69

Unread post by yosef69 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:22 pm

He absolutely did. He threw up, went to the tent, grabbed his helmet to be told no by trainers, wobbled around on the sidelines. Then went back in.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:07 pm

Latest from ESPN

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... urn-season

Coastal Carolina football coach Jeremy Chadwell hopeful QB Grayson McCall (shoulder) can return this season
2:54 PM ET
Chris Low
ESPN Senior Writer

Coastal Carolina football coach Jeremy Chadwell said Wednesday he is hopeful that quarterback Grayson McCall will be able to return this season after injuring his shoulder on Oct. 28 in a 35-28 victory over Troy.

In his Sun Belt Conference media call on Monday, Chadwell mentioned the possibility of McCall being out for the rest of the season based on his recovery, but sounded more optimistic Wednesday about his redshirt sophomore quarterback returning.

McCall will not require surgery.

Chadwell told ESPN that it all comes down to the doctors' decision and said McCall was probably questionable for this week's game against Georgia State. But in two weeks against Texas State, Chadwell thinks there's a good chance the Chanticleers will get McCall back.

"If he plays again, will that hurt him long-term? If the answer is yes, then he won't play anymore this season," Chadwell said. "If the answer is no through our doctors and trainers, then it comes down to rehab recovery and then how much pain he can play with."

McCall leads all FBS quarterbacks in passing efficiency and did not play last week in the 28-8 win over Georgia Southern. Senior Bryce Carpenter filled in for McCall at quarterback.
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:19 pm

I wish the kid well , except when we play them.

Howard Street Hooligan

Unread post by Howard Street Hooligan » Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:36 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:25 pm
kornegaylw wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:54 pm
The players and staff probably see the writing on the wall with Chadwell and are looking elsewhere.
I know for a fact of at least one staff member that no longer wants to be there. However, he is kind of stuck until someone else comes calling or he changes his career. He still has a family to feed.
Can’t blame him, myrtle gets old real quick.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:48 pm

The visual of the play looked like he could have hurt his shoulder the way he went down. But he also got his helmet whipped to turf. Could be both concussion and shoulder.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:41 pm

After reading a John U. Bacon book which included a detailed story on how Michigan bungled handling a concussion to their starting QB in 2014, little would surprise me about how athletic programs handle injury news to their star players.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”