Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

PAC-12 melt down

Saint3333

Re: PAC-12 melt down

Unread post by Saint3333 » Thu Aug 10, 2023 6:33 pm

I missed the memo when the AAC was a power conference…

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Fri Aug 11, 2023 7:37 pm

I've always had mixed feelings about relegation-style leagues. On one hand, there would always be exciting ball as everyone is duking it out for league championships and the ability to move up. On the other hand, the current top 10 money bag teams would never drop out of the top league and the lower league teams would have a worse chance to get in the biggest games than they do now.

Tru2ASU
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by Tru2ASU » Sat Aug 12, 2023 7:03 am

I like doomsday scenarios. What if Cal/Stanford gets voted down, 4-6 teams leave for SEC/Big Ten, what happens to the ACC then, and what teams would they look at as potential replacements?

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sat Aug 12, 2023 8:39 am

Need the PAC4 to figure out their situation before the ACC implodes, other those four join the remaining 8-10 ACC programs and we have the power two and two in the second tier (PACC and BIG12). Then those four break away (which seems closer to reality everyday).

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sat Aug 12, 2023 8:49 am

I don’t dislike the relegation piece. But I have questions. This is obviously football centric so how does this affect the other sports in terms of scheduling and budgets?

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Sat Aug 12, 2023 11:03 am

This is my good news situation/outcome. The BIG and SEC resume the Rose bowl championship. And everyone else is locked out. The leftover teams /conferences make their own rules and it is worthy of interest and we get a 16 team playoff with divisional Champs making the playoffs.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sat Aug 12, 2023 11:06 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2023 8:49 am
I don’t dislike the relegation piece. But I have questions. This is obviously football centric so how does this affect the other sports in terms of scheduling and budgets?
It will never happen because the P5 programs would just leave the NCAA instead of risking being dropped down for a bad year. You bring up a good point as well about how it effects other sports but none of the realignment so far has considered effects on other sports. Every single decision so far has been 100% about football.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sat Aug 12, 2023 4:16 pm

appdaze wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 4:46 pm
Stonewall wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 3:59 pm
Visiting teams stay in ...Hickory.Have for awhile.
Liazzos catering out of the convention center has fed some of the visiting teams if I remember right.
Football teams rent out the Hickory Convention Center for meals , meetings and walk throughs.Everything is catered in and they have plenty of hotel rooms within a block or two.I think you are right about Liazzos as I recall.

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:27 am

Back to pack 12 meltdown. We are truly ruining college athletics. Powers that be are catering to the Walmart fans instead of the students/alumni. Students and Alumni want to play close by teams for two reasons. Water cooler talk Monday morning and to be able to drive to away games. I really hope our situation does not change for the rest of my life unless it is a ECU addition to the Sunbelt or some kind of east break away with the addition of Wake, Charlotte, ECU. I am hesitant on Wake because they will not be happy with that situation and they are private. I would like to stay in a conference with public universities. These new conferences are just sad for Texas, Oklahoma, USCali, Washington, Oregon and UCLA. We are about to see some very unhappy fan bases. I hope UNC joins one of them and they go 4-8 for the next 30 years and go 11-11 in basketball for the next 30 years. If I were buying college sports like stocks, I would be shorting college football at this point...and probably basketball. I would be buying College Soccer.

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Mon Aug 14, 2023 11:28 am

spacemonkey wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:27 am
Back to pack 12 meltdown. We are truly ruining college athletics. Powers that be are catering to the Walmart fans instead of the students/alumni. Students and Alumni want to play close by teams for two reasons. Water cooler talk Monday morning and to be able to drive to away games. I really hope our situation does not change for the rest of my life unless it is a ECU addition to the Sunbelt or some kind of east break away with the addition of Wake, Charlotte, ECU. I am hesitant on Wake because they will not be happy with that situation and they are private. I would like to stay in a conference with public universities. These new conferences are just sad for Texas, Oklahoma, USCali, Washington, Oregon and UCLA. We are about to see some very unhappy fan bases. I hope UNC joins one of them and they go 4-8 for the next 30 years and go 11-11 in basketball for the next 30 years. If I were buying college sports like stocks, I would be shorting college football at this point...and probably basketball. I would be buying College Soccer.
Love him or hate him, Drinkwitz was spot on in his press conference when asked about realignment. Everyone making the decisions is only seeing dollar signs. No one is thinking about the girls on the softball team at Rutgers who will have to fly to Los Angeles in the middle of the week and still be expected to keep their grades up. No one is considering what the cost to fly the track team halfway across the country 2-3 times a year. No one is considering the mental and physical toll these super conferences will have on athletes, especially athletes of "secondary" sports like baseball, softball, wrestling, soccer, etc.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Mon Aug 14, 2023 11:36 am

MrCraig wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 11:28 am
spacemonkey wrote:
Love him or hate him, Drinkwitz was spot on in his press conference when asked about realignment. Everyone making the decisions is only seeing dollar signs. No one is thinking about the girls on the softball team at Rutgers who will have to fly to Los Angeles in the middle of the week and still be expected to keep their grades up. No one is considering what the cost to fly the track team halfway across the country 2-3 times a year. No one is considering the mental and physical toll these super conferences will have on athletes, especially athletes of "secondary" sports like baseball, softball, wrestling, soccer, etc.
Not sure how it will occur.... football...and basketball, in some form, needs to break off separately in conference affiliation. Realize easier said than done...but needs to be addressed in some form or fashion.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Mon Aug 14, 2023 3:15 pm

MrCraig wrote:
spacemonkey wrote:
I agree with what he said, but he doesn't apply this to his own life. Drink is an intelligent human being, but also a narcissist, perfect for 2-3 year stints along his career.

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Mon Aug 14, 2023 5:43 pm

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Mon Aug 14, 2023 5:46 pm

appdaze wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 5:43 pm
That has the potential to hurt big time, especially if some of the eastern schools (re: UNCC and ECU) are included. Or I guess there’s also the potential that some of the east schools get left out and end up having to find another home (CUSA? Sun Belt?).
Give 'em hell!

huskie3

Unread post by huskie3 » Mon Aug 14, 2023 6:22 pm

Notre Dame pretty much has the model: FB indie everything else in acc.
Or take a look at APP, how many conferences are we in?
Bring Your A Game!

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Mon Aug 14, 2023 6:56 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 3:15 pm
MrCraig wrote:
spacemonkey wrote:
I agree with what he said, but he doesn't apply this to his own life. Drink is an intelligent human being, but also a narcissist, perfect for 2-3 year stints along his career.
And his salary is very much there due to all the money grabs by the powers that be. Is he willing to take a pay cut to FCS level salaries I wonder?
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Aug 14, 2023 8:25 pm

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 6:56 pm
Saint3333 wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 3:15 pm
MrCraig wrote:
spacemonkey wrote:
And his salary is very much there due to all the money grabs by the powers that be. Is he willing to take a pay cut to FCS level salaries I wonder?
Exactly. We all know that answer. Drink was not wrong but he is also a hypocrite. We have seen what he is as a head coach when he isn't given a top 25 talent team to work with.

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:04 pm

Captain Morgan

Unread post by Captain Morgan » Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:27 pm

appdaze wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:04 pm
wonder if ECU is one of them? If so, their fanbase won't be happy flying to the left coast for meaningless games.

If not, Sun Belt is their best option.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:38 pm

Captain Morgan wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:27 pm
appdaze wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:04 pm
wonder if ECU is one of them? If so, their fanbase won't be happy flying to the left coast for meaningless games.

If not, Sun Belt is their best option.
Highly doubt Easy U in the four.
If I had to guess...smu, south Florida, Memphis and Tulsa.
Or sub Tulsa for FAU
I would think for TV markets... EasyU is not a big TV market
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”