Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Athletes being paid

McLeansvilleAppFan
School: Appalachian State

Athletes being paid

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:34 am

This is my very generic signature added to each post.

AtlAppMan

Re: Athletes being paid

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:31 am

I think I saw an ad in the newspaper this morning.

“College football player wanted-experience playing center at the highest level of college football level. Must have demonstrated grit and drive in past play. Minimum 2 yrs experience. $29.99 per hour.

Submit resume to Dartmouth College Head Coach”

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:36 am

There's no way football or basketball make money at Dartmouth, so as soon as the athletes become employees, the university just eliminates the football and basketball departments and fires them all.

Bigdaddyg1

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:55 am

Agree. I envision that some schools will simply drop some of these sports entirely.
The Ivy League would survive without them.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:25 am

Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:55 am
Agree. I envision that some schools will simply drop some of these sports entirely.
It will be more than some.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:48 pm

Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
The Ivy League isn't hurting for money.

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:33 pm

The ironic part about it being a bunch of Dartmouth players is that the school doesn't even make any money on athletics at all so it's not like the players are sitting back and watching the school make money off their efforts. The school (and all Ivys) literally only field teams out of a belief of a well rounded school with activities for all. While these players don't get any scholarships, they do benefit from significantly easier admission standards as well as generous grants in many cases. Not to mention the incredible job opportunities that await alums, especially former athlete alums. That being said, I guess if they feel like it is a job, maybe they should fight to be treated that way.

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:47 pm

Yosef84 wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:48 pm
Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
The Ivy League isn't hurting for money.
But we can hope that some day they will be….

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:53 pm

t4pizza wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:33 pm
The ironic part about it being a bunch of Dartmouth players is that the school doesn't even make any money on athletics at all so it's not like the players are sitting back and watching the school make money off their efforts. The school (and all Ivys) literally only field teams out of a belief of a well rounded school with activities for all. While these players don't get any scholarships, they do benefit from significantly easier admission standards as well as generous grants in many cases. Not to mention the incredible job opportunities that await alums, especially former athlete alums. That being said, I guess if they feel like it is a job, maybe they should fight to be treated that way.
It will be interesting to see if this holds up. Northwestern’s attempt was overturned. Also how it would translate to a public university that offers free and or discounted tuition to its employees.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:59 pm

That's the thing. The Ivy League is a different model than the rest of college athletics. It's hard to compare with public universities on any type of consistent basis.

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Wed Feb 07, 2024 3:47 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:53 pm
t4pizza wrote:
It will be interesting to see if this holds up. Northwestern’s attempt was overturned. Also how it would translate to a public university that offers free and or discounted tuition to its employees.
It would not directly translate to public universities other than signifying yet another shift away from traditional models of amateurism and being used as a persuasive argument in future litigation. I will be very surprised if Dartmouth loses the appeal to the board, but if it does it will be just another indication that sentiment has changed. While I think most can agree that student athletes should be compensated on some level beyond scholarships and cost of attendance stipends (though many believe that is sufficient), I also think what we have quickly seen is that the inmates (rich alums) are running the asylum and I don't think anyone is in favor of what has transpired. The madness (unrestrained and unregulated NIL that is really pay for play) has to stop somewhere. My belief has been that the NCAA is now trying to seem like a reasonable body with ideas to fix the problem with the hope that this new found spirit of cooperation will lead to an anti trust exemption from Congress. That is really the only way the NCAA gets any power back (other than collective bargaining but that seems unruly with the sure number of different colleges at different levels and all the different sports).

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:17 pm

t4pizza wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 3:47 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
t4pizza wrote:
It would not directly translate to public universities other than signifying yet another shift away from traditional models of amateurism and being used as a persuasive argument in future litigation. I will be very surprised if Dartmouth loses the appeal to the board, but if it does it will be just another indication that sentiment has changed. While I think most can agree that student athletes should be compensated on some level beyond scholarships and cost of attendance stipends (though many believe that is sufficient), I also think what we have quickly seen is that the inmates (rich alums) are running the asylum and I don't think anyone is in favor of what has transpired. The madness (unrestrained and unregulated NIL that is really pay for play) has to stop somewhere. My belief has been that the NCAA is now trying to seem like a reasonable body with ideas to fix the problem with the hope that this new found spirit of cooperation will lead to an anti trust exemption from Congress. That is really the only way the NCAA gets any power back (other than collective bargaining but that seems unruly with the sure number of different colleges at different levels and all the different sports).
Why do you think that the Dartmouth basketball team won’t get overturned?

I do agree that NIL and it’s lack of regulation is the problem. I feel like the system is more likely to eat itself than become a viable entity.

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:47 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:17 pm
t4pizza wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 3:47 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
t4pizza wrote:
Why do you think that the Dartmouth basketball team won’t get overturned?

I do agree that NIL and it’s lack of regulation is the problem. I feel like the system is more likely to eat itself than become a viable entity.
I think it will be overturned, I will be very surprised if Dartmouth (the school not the players) doesn't prevail.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”