Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

College Football

goapps
School: Appalachian State

College Football

Unread post by goapps » Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:20 am

pop5app

Re: College Football

Unread post by pop5app » Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:56 am

Interesting that the SEC is troubled by the fact the BIG has more money and can buy the best team. Serves’em all right. We’ve, G5, been fighting that fight for years. Shoes’ on the other foot. LOL

AppWyo

Unread post by AppWyo » Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:09 pm

pop5app wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:56 am
Interesting that the SEC is troubled by the fact the BIG has more money and can buy the best team. Serves’em all right. We’ve, G5, been fighting that fight for years. Shoes’ on the other foot. LOL
If they really wanted to save the PAC 12 all they had to do was expand the playoffs and give every conference and Notre Dame an automatic bid. They could have saved the Big East that way as well. However if you look to history, every school was in a different conference. Most conferences folded, because they got too big. The Big 10 and SEC will break up for the same reason, they got too big...

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:15 am

If it going to be professional football then it needs rules. Right now, there aren’t any.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:58 am

appst89 wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:15 am
If it going to be professional football then it needs rules. Right now, there aren’t any.
Agreed. The NFL at least has rules so college should as well.

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:05 am

It is going to end badly. I hope we keep doing the best we can with whatever rules, but the g5 missed an opportunity not to make the NIT Basketball and NIT Football playoff mandatory to participate by the p2.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:42 am

spacemonkey wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:05 am
It is going to end badly. I hope we keep doing the best we can with whatever rules, but the g5 missed an opportunity not to make the NIT Basketball and NIT Football playoff mandatory to participate by the p2.
Agreed. I think a lot of us aren't going to like how this ends. I hope we are wrong but it is my fear.

Bootsy

Unread post by Bootsy » Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:57 pm

Watching Auburn/Florida this afternoon, I got a chuckle out of the SEC's slogan "It's about more than W's & L's" which was plastered all over the arena for the tournament.

If it weren't for the money sports and the national exposure they provide, would many institutions possess the national recognition they enjoy? Or the deep pockets?

So for the majority of universities with athletics programs (including App)...yes, it IS all about the W's & L's. Thanks for the hypocrisy and virtue signaling, SEC!

AppWyo

Unread post by AppWyo » Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:44 pm

Bootsy wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:57 pm
Watching Auburn/Florida this afternoon, I got a chuckle out of the SEC's slogan "It's about more than W's & L's" which was plastered all over the arena for the tournament.

If it weren't for the money sports and the national exposure they provide, would many institutions possess the national recognition they enjoy? Or the deep pockets?

So for the majority of universities with athletics programs (including App)...yes, it IS all about the W's & L's. Thanks for the hypocrisy and virtue signaling, SEC!
It is about more than the W's and L's, It's about the Money, actually it is more about the POWER. There was a quote in the movie Scarface that some it all up: "...when you get the money, you get the power. Then when you get the power, then you get the..."

Bootsy

Unread post by Bootsy » Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:40 pm

AppWyo wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:44 pm
Bootsy wrote:

It is about more than the W's and L's, It's about the Money, actually it is more about the POWER. There was a quote in the movie Scarface that some it all up: "...when you get the money, you get the power. Then when you get the power, then you get the..."
Fair point...but it all starts with wins. If you don't win consistently, you don't get money...or power. You lose, and someone else gets the money and power. Chicken and egg.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:58 am

Bootsy wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:40 pm
AppWyo wrote:
Bootsy wrote:

Fair point...but it all starts with wins. If you don't win consistently, you don't get money...or power. You lose, and someone else gets the money and power. Chicken and egg.
Agree. Money doesn’t guarantee the W’s, it’s how you spend it. Ask schools like Vandy, Kansas, Rutgers, Maryland, or any school that consistently finishes at the bottom of the standings.

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:30 am

Kansas and Vandy are starting to spend their money. Kansas and Vandy have always had money. Kansas spent it on basketball in the past. Vandy just didn't spend theirs. They got lit up by the SEC and now are spending some. Rutgers and Maryland both took advances against their future distributions as well as loans from the league. Rutgers still owes the B1G over $50 million and Maryland over $100 million, and neither will receive a full revenue share until around 2027.

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:07 am

I can’t help but think I need to pick a D2 team to pull for before this all blows up.

AppWyo

Unread post by AppWyo » Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:11 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:58 am
Bootsy wrote:
AppWyo wrote:
Bootsy wrote:

Agree. Money doesn’t guarantee the W’s, it’s how you spend it. Ask schools like Vandy, Kansas, Rutgers, Maryland, or any school that consistently finishes at the bottom of the standings.
Appalachian just needs a new major to secure new funding: How to be a billionaire and donate your fortune to Appalachian Athletics and Academics.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:14 am

AppWyo wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:11 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:58 am
Bootsy wrote:
AppWyo wrote:
Bootsy wrote:

Appalachian just needs a new major to secure new funding: How to be a billionaire and donate your fortune to Appalachian Athletics and Academics.
Agree. It would offset the current one. I give nothing or very little but think they should build what I want. Lol.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:49 pm

Mjohn1988 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:07 am
I can’t help but think I need to pick a D2 team to pull for before this all blows up.
That might be us.

AppDawg

Unread post by AppDawg » Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:22 pm

Bootsy wrote:

They are saying the quiet part out loud… the new NCAA b-ball Tournament is prime example. The NET is the key factor… the NCAA website itself states:

“With the changes announced in May 2020, the NET will no longer use winning percentage, adjusted winning percentage and scoring margin. The change was made after the committee consulted with Google Cloud Professional Services, which worked with the NCAA to develop the original NET.”

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-me ... lained?amp

Yes about $ and about changing the rules and scoring metrics to keep more of that $.

So sad what is happening to college athletics.

Bootsy

Unread post by Bootsy » Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:01 am

So, what have we learned from this conversation? Should we invest our nickels & dimes in TIGMA/3333? Or spend them on lottery tickets so maybe one of us hits big and the university will benefit? I'll be thinking about this today.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:11 am

Bootsy wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:01 am
So, what have we learned from this conversation? Should we invest our nickels & dimes in TIGMA/3333? Or spend them on lottery tickets so maybe one of us hits big and the university will benefit? I'll be thinking about this today.
Maybe we just have some sort of panel discussion, round table this Saturday instead of hauling the Octagon up to Boone.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:10 am

I supported one of the NIL's however I've decided any future donations will go directly to the school. this whole thing has gotten outta hand. I'm prepared to live with the consequences of not paying athletes.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”