NCAA and Prig5 anti trust settlement

McLeansvilleAppFan
School: Appalachian State

NCAA and Prig5 anti trust settlement

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Thu May 23, 2024 8:14 pm

Might be paywalled. Come in my email a bit ago.

https://greensboro.com/ncaa-settlement- ... ef2dc02cec
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

Rekdiver

Re: NCAA and Prig5 anti trust settlement

Unread post by Rekdiver » Thu May 23, 2024 8:48 pm

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 8:14 pm
Might be paywalled. Come in my email a bit ago.

https://greensboro.com/ncaa-settlement- ... ef2dc02cec
I got it in a CNN update. Welcome to the China Syndrome.

Ncmtn

Unread post by Ncmtn » Thu May 23, 2024 8:59 pm

P5 is now NFL Minor League. G5 can’t afford to pay players directly at that level. It’s officially over. Time for G5 to split off and start their own playoffs. Welcome back to the FCS boys.

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Thu May 23, 2024 9:20 pm

F' it. Separate sports from academic institutions. If a dime of taxpayer money goes to paying athletes in this current system, then fire everyone. I'm okay from an economic standpoint with outside nil, even though we get raw dogged as a smaller program. But schools paying athletes is where I can't support it. I'll give for scholarships, but my tax money better stay with the institution.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/sto ... ay-players

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Thu May 23, 2024 10:13 pm

$20 Million per year for each school for athletes.

Bigdaddyg1

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Fri May 24, 2024 5:50 am

It will be very interesting to see how the formula determines the amount to pay a Field Hockey player who played at Maryland in 2017 (random sport that doesn't really generate money). Are all of these former athletes going to get a $10,000 check?

How on earth do G5's not revert back to a glorified FCS? Will we get some football player who didn't initially receive the P5 offer but shines his first two years then immediately bolts for a payday just to ride the bench? Wait that already happens.

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Fri May 24, 2024 5:51 am

How many sports will be cut and how many entire athletic departments will be shuttered completely because of this?

The way I read it is that the cap will be $22 million per year to begin with and will adjust based on revenue. That is the number for the P4 schools. What will the amount be for a Belt school? How do FCS and non-football schools deal with this? They generally have no revenue to share.

Bigdaddyg1

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Fri May 24, 2024 6:56 am

So now will coaches need to take a lawyer with them on a recruiting visit to help negotiate the money aspect? Are those 3 star guys we typically sign going to demand money we can't pay? Will our tickets double in price? If that happens no need to expand the stadium as 20k will be the norm. Just let the G5's become college athletics again and let 40 schools become minor for football and basketball. The rest of the sports might become club teams.

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Fri May 24, 2024 7:31 am

Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
Fri May 24, 2024 6:56 am
So now will coaches need to take a lawyer with them on a recruiting visit to help negotiate the money aspect? Are those 3 star guys we typically sign going to demand money we can't pay? Will our tickets double in price? If that happens no need to expand the stadium as 20k will be the norm. Just let the G5's become college athletics again and let 40 schools become minor for football and basketball. The rest of the sports might become club teams.
Yes, they will need a lawyer.....and that's not a joke.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... wsuit-next

Appst86

Unread post by Appst86 » Fri May 24, 2024 7:45 am

appst89 wrote:
Fri May 24, 2024 5:51 am
How many sports will be cut and how many entire athletic departments will be shuttered completely because of this?

The way I read it is that the cap will be $22 million per year to begin with and will adjust based on revenue. That is the number for the P4 schools. What will the amount be for a Belt school? How do FCS and non-football schools deal with this? They generally have no revenue to share.
I think at some point schools like App State will have one sport for men- Football; and for women, whatever number required to reach 85 scholarships.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Fri May 24, 2024 8:07 am

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Fri May 24, 2024 8:14 am

This will most assuredly lead to a significant reduction of college sports teams, especially at the lower divisions. The amount of money that the NCAA will hold back from annual disbursements will cripple the athletic budgets of every smaller school. Truth is that this should have ALL been paid by the P5 schools because those are the athletes that could have earned. Maybe 1 in 1000 division 2 athlete would have ever been able to make NIL money but now all those schools will suffer because of losing significant NCAA disbursements. I fear the only solution will be less teams.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri May 24, 2024 8:36 am

I’m more inclined to see this as an ends to a mean to resetting the process. $22 million or 22% of the athletic budget is going to affect a great deal of programs. I don’t think athletic programs are going to go away, but there will be some deep, deep cuts.

VNova

Unread post by VNova » Fri May 24, 2024 9:26 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Fri May 24, 2024 8:36 am
I’m more inclined to see this as an ends to a mean to resetting the process. $22 million or 22% of the athletic budget is going to affect a great deal of programs. I don’t think athletic programs are going to go away, but there will be some deep, deep cuts.
The rule says schools are permitted to have up to 20-22mil set aside to pay athletes. I imagine most, if not all, of the G5 schools aren’t going to be near that cap. Liberty will be among the few that could, as well as others that are like SMU.

The media checks may run lower in the future and we have to pay our part of the settlement. Schools will need to decide what they value in athletics.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri May 24, 2024 9:43 am

VNova wrote:
Fri May 24, 2024 9:26 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Fri May 24, 2024 8:36 am
The rule says schools are permitted to have up to 20-22mil set aside to pay athletes. I imagine most, if not all, of the G5 schools aren’t going to be near that cap. Liberty will be among the few that could, as well as others that are like SMU.

The media checks may run lower in the future and we have to pay our part of the settlement. Schools will need to decide what they value in athletics.
The $20-$22 mil cap is going forward. Add the reduced revenue checks and that is both a healthy reduction in the stream as well as a large chunk of money that a school would have to reallocate to paying athletes going forward. The articles that I read says that could be a $300 million payment over 10 years for schools in the Big, SEC and ACC. I’m not a math professor but $300 million over 10 years is $30 mil per. That’s almost the entire media payout for ACC schools. Am I reading this wrong?

AppFan11

Unread post by AppFan11 » Fri May 24, 2024 11:34 am

After reading the AP story, it appears that G5 will lose 10% of future revenue …. I don’t think we’ll have to deal with the $21m set aside…. Haha…. There is still a lot of work to do with lawyers and the judge… this will take months to a year or so to sort out. It appears safe to say that the resource differences will continue to wider.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri May 24, 2024 11:43 am

AppFan11 wrote:
Fri May 24, 2024 11:34 am
After reading the AP story, it appears that G5 will lose 10% of future revenue …. I don’t think we’ll have to deal with the $21m set aside…. Haha…. There is still a lot of work to do with lawyers and the judge… this will take months to a year or so to sort out. It appears safe to say that the resource differences will continue to wider.
I am of the opinion that while there will be a widening of gaps,the gaps between the P5 “Haves” and the P5 “Have-Nots” will be wider and bring those P5 hanger ons back to us. I’ll be interested to see how how this impacts those schools that just moved up to the P5 conferences.

KentHogan

Unread post by KentHogan » Fri May 24, 2024 12:00 pm

All good things eventually come to an end, and at least for me this is the end of college sports.

I felt for a while that after another couple of seasons I would no longer be able to maintain interest as it turns into pay for play with teams full of players with no true loyalty to their school, coaches, or teammates.

It’s heartbreaking, but so be it. I will miss it when the time comes.

Saban was right to get out, I’m sure others will follow.

I can only hope that fans reject seeing college sports become professional sports.

Anyway, Go App!

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Fri May 24, 2024 12:06 pm

I’m going to admit that my YOSEF Club donation are pretty much about spending entertainment dollars. Don’t get me wrong I love App and I love football. But as this gets more and more absurd it just turns me off to the whole thing. I’m not ready to do it just yet but in the future I can see myself spending those entertainment dollars on a post hurricane season trip to St. John’s or an early winter trip to Colorado. I get and agree with the whole free market system but it’s hard for me to be behind guys who can run fast and catch a ball coming out of college with big money while teachers and police offers graduate with debt and go on to low paying jobs. I’m not looking for a government solution, just not sure I want to be part of that happening.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Fri May 24, 2024 12:31 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Fri May 24, 2024 11:43 am
AppFan11 wrote:
Fri May 24, 2024 11:34 am
I am of the opinion that while there will be a widening of gaps,the gaps between the P5 “Haves” and the P5 “Have-Nots” will be wider and bring those P5 hanger ons back to us. I’ll be interested to see how how this impacts those schools that just moved up to the P5 conferences.
I don't think anyone in the SEC or Big10 will have any difficulty in making the $20 million set aside to pay athletes as that is only a drop in the bucket of television revenues they receive. What this may affect is spending $$$ on facilities. I also wonder how this will affect coaching salaries.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”