Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

For those interested in more about Liberty

ASUPATCH
School: Appalachian State

Re: For those interested in more about Liberty

Unread post by ASUPATCH » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:26 pm

JCline0429 wrote:
HkyMtneer wrote:
ASUPATCH wrote:
HkyMtneer wrote:
ASUPATCH wrote:All the University of Phoenix at Lynchburg has going for them is $$$. They sell degrees online and are trying to buy there way into the big dance. I for one am tired of seeing the rich buy there way were they don't belong. They are outside of the SBC footprint, private school, massive online degree program. Yet to win a single FCS playoff game in the Sunbelts best sport of football. They also have all the PR garbage that goes along with them.

1 JMU had none of the other issues except footprint.
2. MSU None of the other issues at all but maybe not ready.
3. EKU footprint issue.
4.CCU New to the game maybe money or readiness issues
5. Jax State Probably the best fit but no mention of want to move up.
6. Umass as astop gap for JMU, obviously out of the footprint.

7. Liberty - See multiple issues above.

Pretty sure football is definitely not the Belt's best sport, at least at the moment. I'd say that title belongs to baseball, followed closely by softball.

There are two sports that matter in the NCAA. Think conference alignment here. They are Football and Men's Basketball. Of those two the sunbelt has a far better reputation in football. No one care about men's lacrosse, or softball or swimming or equestrian.
Couldn't disagree more. Sports fans care. To a sports fan a game of table tennis is interesting if a school name were to be attached. The good Lord knows I'd love to destroy Georgia Southern in a rousing table tennis match (I assume it's match?) Football is definitely my personal favorite sport, followed by Men's Basketball, then Baseball, then Women's Basketball, then Men's Soccer, then Volleyball (of the sports we play). Doesn't mean I don't care about the rest. They are absolutely just as important. I'd rather be a well-rounded athletic university who excels in most all sports rather than to be known as a one-trick show pony.

I feel the same way but thought I was the only one. It's a bad and embarrassing feeling knowing our basketball program has stunk for the past four years and our baseball team has been inconsistent.

You can have all the great programs in the world you want. But if your Men's BBall and football are constantly in the cellar you wont have all your good programs very long.
Last edited by ASUPATCH on Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Appalachian State, Better than your school since 1899!!!!

ASUPATCH

Unread post by ASUPATCH » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:27 pm

JCline0429 wrote:
ASUPATCH wrote:"How are your softball and tennis teams".

Said no conference commissioner EVER.
They should, IMOp.

I agree they should. But the fact is they don't. Its all about the $$$$$.

moehler

Unread post by moehler » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:29 pm

since 1994 the men's basketball team has only had 5 winning seasons, playing in the big south, not exactly the ACC, and really, who gives a sh@# about Liberty having nice nonrevenue sports, their men's basketball sucks, and they barely have a football program. There are better choices than Liberty, I guess if the SBC is determined to add a team, and all the preferred schools, ie: James Madison turns us down, than I guess they can be a "fall back" program, but I hope they are not the SBC's first choice.

ASUPATCH

Unread post by ASUPATCH » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:31 pm

moehler wrote:since 1994 the men's basketball team has only had 5 winning seasons, playing in the big south, not exactly the ACC, and really, who gives a sh@# about Liberty having nice nonrevenue sports, their men's basketball sucks, and they barely have a football program. There are better choices than Liberty, I guess if the SBC is determined to add a team, and all the preferred schools, ie: James Madison turns us down, than I guess they can be a "fall back" program, but I hope they are not the SBC's first choice.

I would prefer to wait until a legit program is ready. Even if it cost us a championship game for a few years. JMU or MSU or EKU will eventually bite. I see no reason to take home the ugly girl tonight when much better looking ones will come home with us tomorrow.

APPARJ

Unread post by APPARJ » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:43 pm

HkyMtneer wrote:
ASUPATCH wrote:
HkyMtneer wrote:
ASUPATCH wrote:All the University of Phoenix at Lynchburg has going for them is $$$. They sell degrees online and are trying to buy there way into the big dance. I for one am tired of seeing the rich buy there way were they don't belong. They are outside of the SBC footprint, private school, massive online degree program. Yet to win a single FCS playoff game in the Sunbelts best sport of football. They also have all the PR garbage that goes along with them.

1 JMU had none of the other issues except footprint.
2. MSU None of the other issues at all but maybe not ready.
3. EKU footprint issue.
4.CCU New to the game maybe money or readiness issues
5. Jax State Probably the best fit but no mention of want to move up.
6. Umass as astop gap for JMU, obviously out of the footprint.

7. Liberty - See multiple issues above.

Pretty sure football is definitely not the Belt's best sport, at least at the moment. I'd say that title belongs to baseball, followed closely by softball.

There are two sports that matter in the NCAA. Think conference alignment here. They are Football and Men's Basketball. Of those two the sunbelt has a far better reputation in football. No one care about men's lacrosse, or softball or swimming or equestrian.
Couldn't disagree more. Sports fans care. To a sports fan a game of table tennis is interesting if a school name were to be attached. The good Lord knows I'd love to destroy Georgia Southern in a rousing table tennis match (I assume it's match?) Football is definitely my personal favorite sport, followed by Men's Basketball, then Baseball, then Women's Basketball, then Men's Soccer, then Volleyball (of the sports we play). Doesn't mean I don't care about the rest. They are absolutely just as important. I'd rather be a well-rounded athletic university who excels in most all sports rather than to be known as a one-trick show pony.
For the record, the statement that the "other sports are just as important" is categorically false. Not only are they not as important, many of these sports are a hindrance. It HURTS our athletic department to have to send women's (and men's, frankly) basketball to Lafayette, LA for a Tuesday conference game in January. You think App State benefits from field hockey? Does it get our brand out there and put us in a good light? Who is the best field hockey player in App State history? Did you attend field hockey Fan Fest this year? You think field hockey is vitally important to our athletic program? Or is it because of Title IX forcing the school to treat women's sports equally?

I am a HUGE App State fan. I bleed black and gold. But you couldn't pay me to go to a woman's basketball game or a "rousing" game of table tennis. If App dropped softball, tennis, golf, field hockey, soccer, wrestling and women's basketball I wouldn't notice at all. Actually, the harsh reality is that our athletic department would be better off financially if we cut the majority of those programs.

I pay attention to our football, Men's basketball and baseball programs and I promise you I am one of many. Further, I'd say that there are many alumni who don't care at all about baseball.

And before people start jumping all over this post with "Well that's not true! I follow women's basketball and volleyball!" - that's wonderful and I'm glad you do, honestly. But AS A WHOLE it is simply factual that the two programs that get the most attention, support and consideration (and in my opinion rightfully so) are football and Men's basketball.
Image ImageImage
ImageImage

JCline0429

Unread post by JCline0429 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:47 pm

To me, it just seems plausible and advantageous to field good big three sports and still have good minor sports. We have placed hundreds or even thousands of graduates in jobs mainly because they had played certain lesser sports. I know I did some.
a.k.a JC0429

Maddog1956

Unread post by Maddog1956 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:57 pm

JCline0429 wrote:To me, it just seems plausible and advantageous to field good big three sports and still have good minor sports. We have placed hundreds or even thousands of graduates in jobs mainly because they had played certain lesser sports. I know I did some.
College isn't all about making money, but about growing, learning and exposing kids to new things. I don't say we need every minor sport that we have now, but I'd hate to see all the non-revenue go.

We just need to focus on winning and not just checking off that we have a sport. We got one of our first taste of glory in soccer that was just one of the non-revenue sports at the time. I assume that was our first SI cover. If you become a winner at any sport people will come.

APPARJ

Unread post by APPARJ » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:59 pm

JCline0429 wrote:To me, it just seems plausible and advantageous to field good big three sports and still have good minor sports. We have placed hundreds or even thousands of graduates in jobs mainly because they had played certain lesser sports. I know I did some.
Would it be so horrible for schools to form more regional conferences with different school with different sports? You can't justify any increase in travel expense for any of our programs, men or women, except for football. I know people say "FOOTBALL OPERATES AT A LOSS!!!" but the fact that our school is known for football and is very popular due to a great football tradition is very valuable and appealing for prospective students.

Honestly, for our lesser sports, the SoCon was PERFECT. What would be so bad with our women's basketball team playing conference games with WCU, Wofford, Elon, UNCG, UNCC, Gardner-Webb, Davidson and Furman? Do we honestly think we're TOO GOOD for those school's programs? I can tell you right now we out class them in football. But other sports??

In a perfect world, each sport would be placed in a conference that makes sense. The funny thing is that there would probably be little to no change over time, unlike football. For example, what if (hopefully) App State really took off in the Sun Belt and was extremely successful and drew lots of attention in the media? What if the AAC conference wanted our football team? Wouldn't that be an easier sell than "Hey, take our other sports too!"

I know there is too much common sense in that scenario for the NCAA to comprehend. Oh well.
Image ImageImage
ImageImage

ASUPATCH

Unread post by ASUPATCH » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:16 pm

Ill go back to this quote from Benson himself last year.
Benson: "Everyone thinks that Liberty is next in line, but that is Far far far from the case."

3 FARS to be exact. Makes me think they are his 4th option. Hopefully it never comes to that .

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:46 pm

You think field hockey is vitally important to our athletic program? Or is it because of Title IX forcing the school to treat women's sports equally?

BTW, women's field hockey predates Title IX. It was App State's first female sport. That's not necessarily a reason to maintain it but it didn't come into existence because of Title IX.

JCline0429

Unread post by JCline0429 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:53 pm

hapapp wrote:You think field hockey is vitally important to our athletic program? Or is it because of Title IX forcing the school to treat women's sports equally?

BTW, women's field hockey predates Title IX. It was App State's first female sport. That's not necessarily a reason to maintain it but it didn't come into existence because of Title IX.

True as I recall and I also remember someone saying they have a high APR which certainly doesn't hurt our overall APR for women's sports.
a.k.a JC0429

HkyMtneer

Unread post by HkyMtneer » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:49 pm

hapapp wrote:http://livemeeting.liberty.edu/notes/Li ... ooklet.pdf

I've never been a big proponent of Liberty to the SBC because as a Virginia resident I've had my fill of Jerry Falwell and followers. However, this is a pretty impressive document and may, at least, give folks better insight to its academics and facilities.
Came across this picture from a recent Liberty Baseball game and noticed a neat feature of their new stadium: a fire pit. I think a few of those would look great (and serve a purpose, especially for early season games) at Smith Stadium.
Attachments
liberty-baseball2.jpg

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:55 pm

HkyMtneer wrote:

I've never been a big proponent of Liberty to the SBC because as a Virginia resident I've had my fill of Jerry Falwell and followers. However, this is a pretty impressive document and may, at least, give folks better insight to its academics and facilities.
Came across this picture from a recent Liberty Baseball game and noticed a neat feature of their new stadium: a fire pit. I think a few of those would look great (and serve a purpose, especially for early season games) at Smith Stadium.
Nice stadium. I drove through campus and saw it last summer from afar. Is it grass or turf?
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

HkyMtneer

Unread post by HkyMtneer » Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:26 pm

AppinVA wrote:
HkyMtneer wrote:

Nice stadium. I drove through campus and saw it last summer from afar. Is it grass or turf?
Turf, the same as ours...all except the mound.

MAD Doctor

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:40 pm

And the fire pit doesn't use firewood, just books and the Devil's music. :lol:

JUST KIDDING !!!!!!!!! Couldn't resist.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:42 pm

MAD Doctor wrote:And the fire pit doesn't use firewood, just books and the Devil's music. :lol:

It's a burning bush. :o
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

tromboneman

Unread post by tromboneman » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:24 am

AppinVA wrote:
MAD Doctor wrote:And the fire pit doesn't use firewood, just books and the Devil's music. :lol:

It's a burning bush. :o
Now that's funny!!posting.php?mode=quote&f=12&p=52726#

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”