Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

No venom spewed for Duke

AppSt94
School: Appalachian State

No venom spewed for Duke

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:37 pm

I was just curious why no one has posted about the potential troubles for Duke's basketball team. If something goes on at Carolina, there are all kind of commets on the "Carolina Way". A broke college kid from Duke drops $30K on some bling, skips town without paying the balance and no one on this board cares.

AppinVA

Re: No venom spewed for Duke

Unread post by AppinVA » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:02 pm

Got a link? I'll spew venom on anything that's not ASU.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:06 pm

I can't speak for others but other than being stupid I see nothing here - my understanding is the businessman who made him the loan has no desire to speak with the NCAA and the NCAA has no authority to make Thomas speak with them either -
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:12 pm

AppinVA wrote:Got a link? I'll spew venom on anything that's not ASU.
What that dummy did, well

I'd guess that'll be considered the "Rat Face" way,

Here's the story :arrow:

http://www.carolinasucks.com/forums/ind ... opic=28195" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BLACK SATURDAY

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:43 pm

Gat any proof he was broke?
Give 'em hell!

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:46 pm

AppSt94 wrote:I was just curious why no one has posted about the potential troubles for Duke's basketball team. If something goes on at Carolina, there are all kind of commets on the "Carolina Way". A broke college kid from Duke drops $30K on some bling, skips town without paying the balance and no one on this board cares.
I have no love for either Carolina or Duke, but this looks like the stupid act of an individual kid. If Duke had paid the bill and tried to bury it so the kid could maintain elibility, THEN there would be a reason to spew venom toward Duke.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:05 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:I can't speak for others but other than being stupid I see nothing here - my understanding is the businessman who made him the loan has no desire to speak with the NCAA and the NCAA has no authority to make Thomas speak with them either -

I don't consider you stupid. You are a knowledgeable poster. This may come to nothing simply because no one wants to cooperate. However, one has to consider this 15 day loan as an extra benefit if it is not extended to a non athelte at Duke. It would by definition make him ineligble. But like I said, lack of cooperation will quickly derail this investigation. But it does seem shady and where there is smoke there is fire.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:08 pm

BeauFoster wrote:Gat any proof he was broke?

No, I do not have any proof that he was "broke" and the fact that he had $30,000 in cash would suggest otherwise. Since he skipped out on a $70,000 balance due, I suppose I should have called him a thief instead. Sorry.

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:14 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
BeauFoster wrote:Gat any proof he was broke?

No, I do not have any proof that he was "broke" and the fact that he had $30,000 in cash would suggest otherwise. Since he skipped out on a $70,000 balance due, I suppose I should have called him a thief instead. Sorry.
It would certainly change you story, wouldn't it? Try not to get your feelings to hurt that people dislike your tar holes on this board.
Give 'em hell!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:37 pm

I am a Tar Heel fan because I grew up liking them. I am an ASU alumn and damn proud of it. I take no offense to those that don't like Carolina because that is your right and I respect it. I just asked why people want to blow up a thread when someone at Carolina does something wrong and no one wants to talk about it when Duke has some negative press. Hate Carolina if you want, but when was the last time Duke ventured up the mountain to play us in anything?

ViewCrew87

Unread post by ViewCrew87 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:59 pm

"Hate Carolina if you want, but when was the last time Duke ventured up the mountain to play us in anything?"

Baseball this past spring....spanked them in Boone and Durham and then they took our coach.

97grad

Unread post by 97grad » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:16 pm

I understand your desire as a Carolina fan to "share the wealth" so to speak, but saying these situations are apples and oranges is an understatement. At Carolina, the university institution was most definitely involved, as opposed to one student at Duke that decided to skip out on a debt.

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:43 pm

94...sorry, as I was referring to Thomas as doing something stupid...as per your point about benefit not available to other students I don't think it applies here...the businessman had no ties to duke...he just made a badloan...he was in NYC...don't understand why Thomas didn't pay it back once he made NBA money
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:32 pm

I'm an Appalachian fan because I DID my growing up in Boone. Some can't cut the apron strings, though. And that goes foe whatever shade of blue (or red) they can't seem to shake.

Now, after reading the link, on the surface it doesn't look good, but he did go to Jersey Southern. Those folks tend to have money. I can't fathom spending $30,000 on jewelry, myself, so there might be something there. If its proven that Duke had a hand in this, then throw the book at them. Same goes for the Chapel Hill campus. That said, I think both schools skate by.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:46 pm

AppinVA wrote:I'm an Appalachian fan because I DID my growing up in Boone. Some can't cut the apron strings, though. And that goes foe whatever shade of blue (or red) they can't seem to shake.

Now, after reading the link, on the surface it doesn't look good, but he did go to Jersey Southern. Those folks tend to have money. I can't fathom spending $30,000 on jewelry, myself, so there might be something there. If its proven that Duke had a hand in this, then throw the book at them. Same goes for the Chapel Hill campus. That said, I think both schools skate by.
I bleed black and gold and I have weened myself from the baby blue teet slowly. I think that I have one UNC t shirt left in my drawer. It was weird to not root for Carolina when they played APP but it was never a choice as I am an App man through. I do agree that Duke will probably skate.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:54 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:94...sorry, as I was referring to Thomas as doing something stupid...as per your point about benefit not available to other students I don't think it applies here...the businessman had no ties to duke...he just made a badloan...he was in NYC...don't understand why Thomas didn't pay it back once he made NBA money
It's all good brother. It is a sketchy story any way you look at it and if they want to go after a guy and school for getting a $100 tattoo, I'm sure that a $30,000 in jewlery will raise the eyebrows of those in the NCAA.

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:56 am

AppSt94 wrote:
WVAPPeer wrote:94...sorry, as I was referring to Thomas as doing something stupid...as per your point about benefit not available to other students I don't think it applies here...the businessman had no ties to duke...he just made a badloan...he was in NYC...don't understand why Thomas didn't pay it back once he made NBA money
It's all good brother. It is a sketchy story any way you look at it and if they want to go after a guy and school for getting a $100 tattoo, I'm sure that a $30,000 in jewlery will raise the eyebrows of those in the NCAA.
I agree that the Ohio State deal was a joke - trading gear for tattoos - however the hammer fell when it was shown The Vest lied about it - the players might have been suspended a game or two but that would have been it - again the difference I see here is this guy was an OSU booster and located in Columbus - I agree that 30000 in bling should get someones eye but if Duke was not involved previous, during or after then it is hard to put the blame on them ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

appfan83

Unread post by appfan83 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:11 am

The total bill for the bling was 100K, He put down 30K and skipped out on the balance. I guess he was going for the Mr. T starter set.

appfan83

Unread post by appfan83 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:14 am

The total bill for the bling was 100K, He put down 30K and skipped out on the balance. I guess he was going for the Mr. T starter set.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:01 am

AppinVA wrote:Got a link? I'll spew venom on anything that's not ASU.
That's the Mountaineer attitude. :lol: :lol:
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”