Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

The Carolina Way (Cont'd)

AppGrad78
School: Appalachian State

Re: The Carolina Way (Cont'd)

Unread post by AppGrad78 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:23 pm

Old Wideout wrote:Don't be naive……

This happens right here in Boone. Everyday.

It happens at every School… to some degree.
Every university has some classes that are easier than others. Quite the contrary, very few schools I know of allow the assistant department chair to look up individual GPAs so that she can determine what kind of grade to give. No matter how you slice it, UNC should be ashamed of itself.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:26 pm

AppGrad78 wrote:

Every university has some classes that are easier than others. Quite the contrary, very few schools I know of allow the assistant department chair to look up individual GPAs so that she can determine what kind of grade to give. No matter how you slice it, UNC should be ashamed of itself.
And most schools don't hold fake classes, which never meet and have no assignments, to give athletes the grades they need to stay eligible.

And most schools don't have counseling services that funnel athletes into designated "writing classes" to stay eligible.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:35 pm

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:52 pm

You're so old, you don't realize how ridiculous your accusations are. If it were so widespread, our men's basketball squad wouldn't be banned from the post-season in '15. And an e-z dozen football players wouldn't have had to relinquish their scholarships and leave school. And nooooooooooooooo, I'm not making reference to malcontents, druggies or thugs. I'm speaking of players in the last four seasons who left school on academic probation with GPA's so low that they'd never get eligible to play at App again during their five years to play four.
Last edited by asu66 on Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:58 pm

WVU coach Don Nehlen said today on CFB Sirius 91 that he ran a program that didn't cheat and won a National Championship. From his lips to everyone's ears today.

Did Jerry Moore cheat?
BLACK SATURDAY

Appsolutely

Unread post by Appsolutely » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:58 pm

Umm...no
10635868_10204322375726788_2208116589883112824_n.jpg
10635868_10204322375726788_2208116589883112824_n.jpg (9.02 KiB) Viewed 4949 times
"I’ve always said the program is bigger than me, any one player or any one coach."--Scott Satterfield

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:32 pm

"Ten of the 15 players on North Carolina's 2005 national championship men's basketball team were AFAM majors. North Carolina coach Roy Williams told investigators he was "uncomfortable" early on about his players' heavy use of AFAM classes, but he denied knowing the paper classes existed without an instructor."
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

MAD Doctor

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:41 pm

Do you mean Julius Peppers isn't a genius? Man, I didn't see that one coming. :lol: :roll:

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:51 pm

MAD Doctor wrote:Do you mean Julius Peppers isn't a genius? Man, I didn't see that one coming. :lol: :roll:
According to his transcript he should speak fluent Portuguese :lol:

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:07 pm

Gonzo wrote:
MAD Doctor wrote:Do you mean Julius Peppers isn't a genius? Man, I didn't see that one coming. :lol: :roll:
I hope a sportswriter asks him a question in Portuguese sometime this week.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

DaphneUrquhart

Unread post by DaphneUrquhart » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:10 pm

Gonzo wrote:
Thanks for the laugh, Gonzo! When I was at Chapel-Hill in the late 70's, Portuguese was considered the easiest foreign language to take to meet the foreign language requirement we had. I was minoring in French and thought taking Portuguese would be fun (it's true, I'm not quite right in the head).

On the first day of class, several basketball players ducked into class. I say they ducked in because the door frames in the oldest buildings on campus weren't meant for guys who were 6'9". Several of them had to duck to avoid hitting the top of the door frame. Interestingly, those players were in class every single time I was in class and took their exams the same time I took my exams. I can't speak to the grades those players received in that class. I can speak to their attendance and participation in class.

There is something sickeningly wrong with parts of Carolina's athletic department. Of that, I have no doubt. I am disappointed in my alma mater. I will not, however, believe that the degree I earned (yes, earned) is cheapened by those who cheated in whatever manner they cheated.

So I'll leave the Carolina Lifetime Alumni sticker on my car ... right beside my Yosef sticker and Vanguard Society sticker. Go App! Thanks for letting me adopt myself into the family.
If serving is beneath you, then leading is beyond you.

#GiveYosef

APPARJ

Unread post by APPARJ » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:59 pm

I'll say this...

Many football players were business majors with me. I had classes with guys like Orey Frye, Devon Moore, Matt Cline etc...

They all came to class. They all made presentations. They all took tests. They were in group projects and did work with the group.

This is a small sample size and I can't account for every player (and the players I referenced were all starters) but that seems like a lot of effort to cheat.

If it comes out that our guys are cheating/not going to class, I wouldn't be shocked (mainly because I'm a skeptic). But in my experience, App State plays by the rules.
Image ImageImage
ImageImage

AppDawg

Unread post by AppDawg » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:00 pm

Black Saturday wrote:
Longrifle28 wrote:
Black Saturday wrote:According to WRAL, I see that they've found that ROY has nothing to do with the academic fraud, but he tried to steer them in the correct academic path.

They are so full of it. The buck stops with ROY in the basketball program. We he is relieved of any guilt is a travesty, that only the HOLES could get away with.
It goes further back than this. Dean Smith and Swofford created this crap back in the 90's.
Dean coached further back than the '90s. Now that this farcical investigation is in the open, maybe someone associated to the Dean regime will be brave enough to put his life in jeopardy and step forward tell the truth. Rashad McCants did against ROY, but suddenly ate a tube of super glue when the $8,000 an hour investigator came knocking.

Now Carolina is investigated and suddenly the whole UNC or HOLE system will change the way things are done. Excuse me, the other 15 programs/universities haven't had a reason to be under the microscope. :evil:
I think Matt Doherty already did. This was in one of the many N&O articles posted this afternoon:

Doherty was told by (Dean) Smith and (Bill) Gutheridge that he should not change the system despite "understanding that AFAM was the easiest major at Chapel Hill." Under Doherty, 42 basketball players were enrolled in paper classes.

moehler

Unread post by moehler » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:16 pm

Just got worse for Chapel Hill, tonight, while watching the national evening news, Brian Williams ran the story, full disclosure, NBC didn't hold anything back, talked to the investigator, students, showed the numbers, over 3100 students took the courses, I believe over a 10 yr period. Brian Williams called it possibility the biggest academic fraud in NCAA history. So much for Chapel Hill hoping this would go away quietly.

GreatAppSt

Unread post by GreatAppSt » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:32 pm

moehler wrote:Just got worse for Chapel Hill, tonight, while watching the national evening news, Brian Williams ran the story, full disclosure, NBC didn't hold anything back, talked to the investigator, students, showed the numbers, over 3100 students took the courses, I believe over a 10 yr period. Brian Williams called it possibility the biggest academic fraud in NCAA history. So much for Chapel Hill hoping this would go away quietly.
BOOM!

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:37 pm

What gets lost is how racist this whole thing is as well.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

appbio91

Unread post by appbio91 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:50 pm

moehler wrote:Just got worse for Chapel Hill, tonight, while watching the national evening news, Brian Williams ran the story, full disclosure, NBC didn't hold anything back, talked to the investigator, students, showed the numbers, over 3100 students took the courses, I believe over a 10 yr period. Brian Williams called it possibility the biggest academic fraud in NCAA history. So much for Chapel Hill hoping this would go away quietly.
Hate I missed that. Sounds like quality television entertainment.
Found the video on line, I was right that was heart warming :D

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:07 pm

moehler wrote: Brian Williams called it possibility the biggest academic fraud in NCAA history.
Validation!

I've been calling it that for months. 8-)

moehler

Unread post by moehler » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:11 pm

I not sure if its raciest, the classes were taken not only by athletes, but also normal students with no ties to the athletic dept, they didn't break the numbers down, but it looks like it was the "little secret around campus", need a quick A, take these courses. The lead independent investigator said he found absolutely no evidence the administration knew what was going on. This is amazing to me, either they were really good at covering it up, or, they were total idiots, who had lost control over the depts. Its hard to believe that over a 10 period, and that many students taking the courses that word didn't get to the upper administration about what was going on. Either way this is a national embarrassment to them.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:45 am

AppinVA wrote:What gets lost is how racist this whole thing is as well.
Reverse discrimination.
BLACK SATURDAY

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”