Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

The Carolina Way (Cont'd)

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Re: The Carolina Way (Cont'd)

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:36 am

Black Saturday wrote:
AppinVA wrote:What gets lost is how racist this whole thing is as well.
Reverse discrimination.
BS - my guess what he is referring to is it tends to show they cared nothing about making sure these athletes got an education - one that would help them in the real world - and all they did was "use" them until their eligibility had expired - True, some went on to make money in professional sports but I would guess the majority did not ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

AppfaninCAALand
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by AppfaninCAALand » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:40 am

asu66 wrote:
Old Wideout wrote:Don't be naive……

This happens right here in Boone. Everyday.

It happens at every School… to some degree.
You're so old, you don't realize how ridiculous your accusations are. It it were so widespread, our men's basketball squad wouldn't be banned from the post-season in '15. And an e-z dozen football players wouldn't have had to relinquish their scholarships and leave school. And nooooooooooooooo, I'm not making reference to malcontents, druggies or thugs. I'm speaking of players in the last four seasons who left school on academic probation with GPA's so low that they'd never get eligible to play at App again during their five years to play four.
Capel wasn't a good enough coach to run even a crooked program.

Old Wideout

Unread post by Old Wideout » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:44 am

Gonzo, you are just wrong about this.

Our kids are steered to majors, in this same fashion.

I know, it happen to my son. It didn't say it was the same, its the same type of thing.

Old Wideout

Unread post by Old Wideout » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:47 am

I say let them major in the sport they play. Then if they don't make the show, they have a base to coach.

Then you can eliminate this type of game.

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:38 am

Old Wideout wrote:Gonzo, you are just wrong about this.

I know, it happen to my son. It didn't say it was the same, its the same type of thing.
There is nothing wrong or even unethical about steering kids to certain majors - in fact, if done under the right premise it is the correct thing to do - The NCAA could care less about steering toward majors or even steering toward EASY classes - the problem with UNC was it was fraudulent - no classes, no work, grades to keep them eligible - big difference !!! - :shock:
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:55 am

" The total cost has not been determined but UNC System President Tom Ross said it would be “very expensive.” Wainstein charges $990 per hour for his time and informed UNC that three associates will bill the university at $775, $535 and $450 per hour.

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/10/22/ ... rylink=cpy

Man, even with my limited math skills that is almost $ 3,000 PER HOUR :cry:
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:20 am

Steered to majors, yes.

Taking fake classes and having others write their papers, BIG DIFFERENCE.

Stop defending the actions taken and deflecting onto other programs. OWN IT and pay the price.

manonabuffalo

Unread post by manonabuffalo » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:24 am

When did this occur? I can speak for the time period I was at App, and while we had our own academic advisers, a study hall, and other assets in place, we still all had to go to class and do the work. I remember running stadiums for almost an entire practice because I missed too many 8 o'clock classes while I was a freshman. The class was right after freshman workouts (4:45 am start time) and sometimes I couldn't even physically walk to the class, or keep my eyelids open. I learned to suck it up and go to class, take responsibility for my commitments, etc. I also had to attend study hall for a semester when one of my professors sent an email to a coach. The email had a list of football players who were scoring low on tests, I had a "B" average in the class. I got lumped in with the whole lot, because we all sat together. Apparently the professor thought I wasn't helping them score higher. App may have some issues with keeping some players eligible here and there, but what I observed was Student-athletes.....student coming first.

manonabuffalo

Unread post by manonabuffalo » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:26 am

Black Saturday wrote:
Reverse discrimination.
There is no such thing, it is just called discrimination.

appbio91

Unread post by appbio91 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:29 am

WVAPPeer wrote:
Black Saturday wrote:
Reverse discrimination.
BS - my guess what he is referring to is it tends to show they cared nothing about making sure these athletes got an education - one that would help them in the real world - and all they did was "use" them until their eligibility had expired - True, some went on to make money in professional sports but I would guess the majority did not ---
Wow, I typed almost the exact thing and decided to just let it go. I agree 100% this is the root problem. Most of these kids did not have the grades to get in and be successful in a major university. I have mixed feelings about the exploitation part though. Unless they were developmentally challenged they knew they were operating outside of the system. Many probably had dreams of pro-ball that did not materialize. I feel for them but they had the opportunity to take the sink or swim path but chose to let the university take advantage of them. Again I believe the university is at fault for sure.
Last edited by appbio91 on Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:31 am

[/quote]The class was right after freshman workouts (4:45 am start time) and sometimes I couldn't even physically walk to the class, or keep my eyelids open.[/quote]

Did you discover coffee about this time? I know I discovered coffee my freshman year, drink 7 cups a day even today. :D

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:32 am

Steering towards a legit major that may not be as difficult as others is completely different from putting them in fake classes to boost their GPA. These players at UNC-CH had a difficult time in the most basic classes which is why this program came to be.
When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

manonabuffalo

Unread post by manonabuffalo » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:38 am

WataugaMan wrote:
The class was right after freshman workouts (4:45 am start time) and sometimes I couldn't even physically walk to the class, or keep my eyelids open.[/quote]

Did you discover coffee about this time? I know I discovered coffee my freshman year, drink 7 cups a day even today. :D[/quote]

No, I never started to drink coffee until after I graduated and got a real job. I drink about 3-4 cups a day now, love the stuff. 8-)

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:18 am

Below is a list I put together back before the season started. Roster was at 101 at the time and some of the walk-on players weren't added yet. Single listing without a - is one player. I'll look again when I have the time but not any "fake' degrees in there. Maybe some easier ones but fake ones, no.

Health Promotion-6
Business Education-8
Marketing-4
Business Marketing-2
Business Management-2
Management-3
Business
Criminal Justice-13
Physical Education Teacher Ed (K-12)-3
Risk Management and Insurance-2
Communications Studies-3
Finance and Banking
Psychology-4
Accounting-3
Exercise Science-12
Nursing-4
Nursing-Anesthesiology
Athletic Training
Graphics Arts and Imaging Technology
Political Science-2
Building Sciences
History-Social Studies Education
History Education
Communications-Electronic Media Broadcasting-2
Communications-Public Relations
Communications-Journalism
Physical Education-3
Recreation Management
Biology-Cellular/Molecular Biology
Pre-Dentistry
Chemistry Education
Pharmacy
Health Care Management
Undecided-9

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:43 am

The root problem with many of these big time sports at big time schools is that many of these kids are just ill equipped to succeed in a college curriculum. Hell, most of them can barely stay eligible in high school. I know that now (I think in all NC high schools) kids have to maintain at least a C in all classes, not just a C average. Now the A in gym can't average the F in math. The stud ball players typically are coddled for years in high school and when the reality of college hits they either sink of swim.

Isn't it funny that you rarely hear that a marquee player at a marquee university has been ruled academically inelegible? I know it happens but it is rare. By the time a kid is a junior you kind of start running out of joke classes to take.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:28 am

WVAPPeer wrote:
Black Saturday wrote:
Reverse discrimination.
Yes. For the most part, that's what I'm getting at. They never had an interest in many of these athletes as students. They just wanted them there for sports, and at the end of four years, turn them out no better than they were when they went in.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:57 am

As others have said, being steered to majors is not the problem. Hell, I was steered towards a major and I wasn't an athlete. My advisor saw I was struggling with the work load while having to work full time to make ends meet so she suggested another major. That is what academic advisors are for -- athlete or not. That is not the problem.

The problem has been well documented in this thread so no need to re-hash it. If you don't see the difference, you are blind to the carolina way!

p.s. My in-laws have several buildings named after them on Carolina's campus and even they agree this is a big time problem not happening every where else!
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

AppfaninCAALand

Unread post by AppfaninCAALand » Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:51 am

Where does this scandal rank between to SMU paying players (two year of no team) and Penn State hiding a child rapist (slap on the wrist). I say UNC-CH needs the "death penalty" but doubt they'd get more than a post season ban for both sports and maybe some vacated wins (or maybe MBB titles).

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:52 am

AppfaninCAALand wrote:Where does this scandal rank between to SMU paying players (two year of no team) and Penn State hiding a child rapist (slap on the wrist). I say UNC-CH needs the "death penalty" but doubt they'd get more than a post season ban for both sports and maybe some vacated wins (or maybe MBB titles).
UNC-Pembroke will get two years probation and Elizabeth City St. will lose some of their recruiting budget.

App91

Unread post by App91 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:58 am

WVAPPeer wrote:" The total cost has not been determined but UNC System President Tom Ross said it would be “very expensive.” Wainstein charges $990 per hour for his time and informed UNC that three associates will bill the university at $775, $535 and $450 per hour.

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/10/22/ ... rylink=cpy

Man, even with my limited math skills that is almost $ 3,000 PER HOUR :cry:
Dub, dont think that is in total. Knowing lawyers the amt billed per hour depends on which associate is billing that hour (they do it in tenths of an hour or 6 min increments). so if the most junior assoc. is working on an item its "only"$450 for that hour billed.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”