Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

The Carolina Way (Cont'd)

Yosef10
School: Appalachian State

Re: The Carolina Way (Cont'd)

Unread post by Yosef10 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:22 pm

bcoach wrote:
WVAPPeer wrote:Let me go on official record - "I totally dislike the one and done system" but unfortunately the rules allow it and until the rules change we will continue to see this happen -
Yes I should be clear I agree with you 100%. I also dislike it very much. I hurts the college game.
There should be no limit on when they can enter the work force of their profession, should be able to go out of high school if they choose. As for Carolina what I've been hearing is they might escape this unscathed as far as athletics are concerned. They are going with the defense that it was a university-wide scandal and students enrolled in the classes were also regular students mainly in fraternities so therefore they're trying to create the illusion these classes weren't created by the athletic department for the athletic department. A load a bullshit in my opinion but I can see the NCAA saying "good enough for me" and letting them off the hook somewhat.

And the more telling sign for Carolina isn't solely Ingram necessarily as K has ties to him thru USA basketball and Dukes cupboard was bare at his slot while that's not the case at Carolina, but UNC has offered 15 "elite" recruits in this class and 13 have committed elsewhere while the remaining 2 are still deciding.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:09 pm

bcoach wrote:
WVAPPeer wrote:Let me go on official record - "I totally dislike the one and done system" but unfortunately the rules allow it and until the rules change we will continue to see this happen -
Yes I should be clear I agree with you 100%. I also dislike it very much. I hurts the college game.
In a perfect world the NBA should mandate prospective players 1. Declare out of high school, or 2. Spend a full four years in college, or 3. Play in an NBA sponsored minor league before being allowed in the NBA.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:39 pm

huskie3 wrote:No, he is going to dook because cryshelfski is on the one-and-done wagon and he will get instant playtime for his one year in Durham.

As I have stated I dislike the one and done - to me, it is somewhat similar (although rules are from different parties) to Dean and the 4 corners - I hated it because I always felt it was ruining the game, even in games I was hoping the Heels would win, But, it was legal and Dean was going to continue to do what worked until the rule was changed --- I really hope something can be done in this regard - I have favored the baseball format for the last 25 years but I doubt the limit would match baseball's 3 years or age of 21 but I do think they could do a 2 year commitment ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:36 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
huskie3 wrote:No, he is going to dook because cryshelfski is on the one-and-done wagon and he will get instant playtime for his one year in Durham.

As I have stated I dislike the one and done - to me, it is somewhat similar (although rules are from different parties) to Dean and the 4 corners - I hated it because I always felt it was ruining the game, even in games I was hoping the Heels would win, But, it was legal and Dean was going to continue to do what worked until the rule was changed --- I really hope something can be done in this regard - I have favored the baseball format for the last 25 years but I doubt the limit would match baseball's 3 years or age of 21 but I do think they could do a 2 year commitment ---
But Dean was on the rules committee for most of that time and made no effort to support changing the rule until teams began to halfway defend the 4 corners.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Wed May 20, 2015 6:56 am

It seems another "important" date is on the horizon for TarHeel U. - does anyone know of any precedent the Association has enacted previously with other institutions of higher learning?

WTVD

By DEREK ROWLES

Thursday, May 14, 2015 04:44PM

CHAPEL HILL, N.C. (WTVD) --
The University of North Carolina will learn next month where it stands with the accreditation agency Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS) in wake of the damaging Wainstein report on academic fraud.

SACS President Dr. Belle Wheelan told ABC11 on Thursday, "the board decisions will be made public the afternoon of June 11."

SACS first put the university on notice in 2011 when claims of academic impropriety first surfaced, and SACS said last fall the agency considered the findings of Kenneth Wainstein as a new issue.

The agency says UNC was not diligent in providing information about the academic scandal, and that two UNC employees withheld information about the fraud.

SACS reviewed the Wainstein report and notified UNC in November of 18 accreditation standards which the university may have violated. The most damaging was a lack of "institutional integrity."

In a 224-page response, UNC officials asked the agency to find them in compliance, noting numerous changes that have been made in the wake of the scandal.

Possible punishment from the SACS board includes probation or stripping UNC of its accreditation.

Click here to read UNC's full response to the SACS accreditation warning.

Click here to read the full Wainstein Report (.PDF)

http://abc11.com/education/unc-to-learn ... th/722813/
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

moehler

Unread post by moehler » Wed May 20, 2015 8:17 am

I think the SACS investigation forces the NCAA to atleast take seriously the allegations against UNC, we all know that if the NCAA had their way, they would have a bogus investigation, wait until everything had quieted down, and then quietly give UNC a slap on the wrist, if any punishment. The SACS carries some serious weight, if they concluded Carolina committed serious violations, and they come down hard on UNC, the NCAA will probably be forced to administer some form of serious punishment just to "save face", and not look like a puppet administration with UNC pulling the strings.

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Fri May 22, 2015 1:34 pm

Heels receive Notice of Allegations ---
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketb ... llegations
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

AppDawg

Unread post by AppDawg » Fri May 22, 2015 4:52 pm

Precedent: http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/PressArchive/20 ... tball.html

UGA's B-Ball program in 2004 is the closest I am aware of. Academic Fraud. All games participated in, including tourney appearances, that involved players in said classes had to be vacated and any banners (don't think they had any) were to be removed. 1 year postseason ban. Also, 4 year probation and loss of scholarships for 3 seasons.

As has been stated plenty, the pervasiveness and longevity of what is going on at unc dwarfs the findings at UGA. Who knows where the NCAA will ultimately come down punishment wise.

Charfan
School: Charlotte

Unread post by Charfan » Fri May 22, 2015 10:31 pm

How many times were you guys beaten in hoops by the cheating tarheels during the period of this academic scandal?

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Sat May 23, 2015 12:15 am

When a school receives a notice of allegations, there's a back and forth process that'll take a few more months. The Tar Heels will have a Final Four caliber team so they'll want to protect them by taking as long as possible, so the final punishments will probably come at the end of hoops season next year.

asu1978

Unread post by asu1978 » Sat May 23, 2015 6:33 am

Let the truth be known.Unfortunately,the punishment won't fit the misdeeds. :roll:

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sat May 23, 2015 6:42 am

"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

DoubleA

Unread post by DoubleA » Sat May 23, 2015 7:40 am

Not sure if this has been previously posted, but is perhaps the most comprehensive historical account I've seen. A very insightful piece from the perspective of an UNC alum and journalist - a perspective likely shared by many of the older alum who remember when Bill Friday ran the school and academic priorities truly came first.

http://www.si.com/college-basketball/20 ... asses-ncaa

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sun May 24, 2015 8:49 am

"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Mon May 25, 2015 11:16 am

http://www.dailytarheel.com/article/201 ... unc-system

UNC BOG have cut 46 programs across the 17-member UNC System. One (1!!!) at UNC Chapel Hill.

It must have been tough to force their alma mater to account for 1/46 of the cutbacks. Poor things.

*Edit*

After looking at which programs are being cut, the common denominator re: low productivity seems to be education. Undoubtedly a symptom of Raleigh's abysmal report with teachers. Nobody wants to be a teacher. Who can blame them?

TheMoody1

Unread post by TheMoody1 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:06 pm

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports. ... /#comments

North Carolina has posted their Notice of Allegations from the NCAA regarding the academic scandal that has plagued the school’s athletic programs in recent years, charging the athletic department with five Level I violations (the worst kind), including a lack of institutional control.

The men’s basketball and football programs get mentioned throughout the document, but the NCAA was able to dig up the most dirt on the women’s basketball team, and it’s not close. None of the men’s basketball staff members get specifically targeted with allegations, although they do fall under the lack of institutional control umbrella.

Before we get into some specifics, it’s worth noting that North Carolina was hit with a lack of institutional control charge regarding the way that the African Afro-American Studies department interacted the academic support staffs of the athletic teams, specifically Jan Boxill, the women’s basketball academic advisor. The other part of this that can get murky is that the academic fraud and the placement in so-called ‘paper classes’ were labeled as impermissible benefits not available to other students. In other words, the NCAA is saying that the violations committed by the athletic department were making the athletes aware of the ‘paper classes’ and helping them get into, and pass, those classes.

Here are the five allegations:

1. From 2002-2011, the school provided impermissible benefits to student-athletes in the form of “requesting certain course offerings within the AFRI/AFAM department on behalf of student-athletes, contacting individuals within the AFRI/AFAM department to register student-athletes in courses, obtaining assignments for classes taught in the AFRI/AFAM department on behalf of student-athletes, suggesting assignments to the AFRI/AFAM department for student-athletes to complete, turning in papers on behalf of student-athletes and recommending grades.” The NCAA also alleges that Independent Study classes were misrepresented, allowing 10 student-athletes to graduate with more than the allowable 12 Independent Study hours.
2. From 2007-2010, Boxill provided the women’s basketball team with a myriad of impermissible academic assistance, ranging from adding a conclusion or quotation into an athlete’s paper to turning the paper in for the player and requesting a specific grade.
3. and 4. Deborah Crowder, a former student services advisor in the African Afro-American Studies department, and Julius Nyang’Oro, a former professor in and chair of the African Afro-American Studies department, were both hit with ethical conduct charges as they refused to speak with the NCAA during the investigation.
5. This is the lack of institutional control charge, which specifically mentions the failure of the university to monitor the way that Boxill handled her academic counseling duties as well as the ‘paper classes’ in the African Afro-American Studies department, in which athletes were enrolled in a disproportionate number.
READ MORE: Only way NCAA can mess this up? Banning UNC from the 2016 postseason.

Boxill, Crowder and Nyang’Oro have all already parted ways with the university.

“We take the allegations the NCAA made about past conduct very seriously,” AD Bubba Cunningham said in a statement. “This is the next step in a defined process, and we are a long way from reaching a conclusion. We will respond to the notice using facts and evidence to present a full picture of our case. Although we may identify some instances in the NCAA’s notice where we agree and others where we do not, we are committed to continue pursuing a fair and just outcome for Carolina.”

“We believe the University has done everything possible to address the academic irregularities that ended in 2011 and prevent them from recurring. We have implemented more than 70 reforms and initiatives to ensure and enhance academic integrity. We will continue to monitor the effectiveness of those measures and, wherever needed, put additional safeguards in place.”

The school received the notice on May 20th, meaning that they will have until August 20th to respond.

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:55 pm

Every win from 1993-2011 and all 3 National Titles during that time should go first. Then decide what current restrictions to place on them.
When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

AppfaninCAALand

Unread post by AppfaninCAALand » Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:44 pm

So they are going to throw the women's team under the bus to save Roy and the guys?

DoubleA

Unread post by DoubleA » Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:48 pm

Carolina Blue doesn't look so good these days, covered in it. Stains may never come out!
Last edited by DoubleA on Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

SpeedkingATL

Unread post by SpeedkingATL » Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:09 pm

The NCAA will as always look at the financial ramifications to this (to the NCAA) and will try and minimize the damage to the Heel's men's basketball program as much as possible since it's a cash cow. Wouldn't want to see the NCAA Tourney without the Heels for very long as it might hurt TV viewership too much.

Teflon Tarheels indeed.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”