Would We Accept Sun Belt Offer?

Discussion about anything related to the Sun Belt Conference
GoApps70
School: Appalachian State

Would We Accept Sun Belt Offer?

Unread post by GoApps70 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:24 am

OK, sounds like we have a new head football coach that no one expected (to take this long to announce.)
Some have said the Big East 7 Catholic schools maybe leaving in 27 months might have an effect on us getting an FBS offer. Sounds like they cannot dissolve the BE, and can only leave, cannot even take the BE name. May hurt the media agreement a little (most "experts" say basketball only consists of 30% maximum, some say 10% worth). Sounds as if the incoming football schools still want to join the BE, so doesn't sound like it will really have much of anything big FBS wise except the BE may ask some additional schools to join.
So, will Dr. Peacock and Mr. Cobb accept a Sun Belt offer if Georgia Southern loses tonight?
==========================================================================
Give 'em Hell Apps !.....Sun Belt future champs !........Enlarge Kidd Brewer ASAP!

MountainMan

Re: Would We Accept Sun Belt Offer?

Unread post by MountainMan » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:37 am

If ASU gets a Sun Belt offer in hand, and nothing else is in hand, take the Sun Belt offer without blinking an eye, run up and down the hall with a few high-fives, and get the he11 busy recruiting more big guys to play football.

Even IF there were some other offer (MAC, C-USA, ???) not sure it would be better move than the Sun Belt. It's not going to be the ACC or SEC, and with all the changes to C-USA and with the footprint of MAC I'm not so hot on either of those.

GoApps70

Unread post by GoApps70 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:47 am

Can certainly see your point, a bird in the hand and all that.
At least taking an FBS offer would get us going, and would be good timing on this year's recruiting, especially with a new coach.
Give 'em Hell Apps !.....Sun Belt future champs !........Enlarge Kidd Brewer ASAP!

SpeedkingATL

Unread post by SpeedkingATL » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:37 am

I actually think the Sun Belt is probably the best place for App right now. With the addition of GaSt and hopefully GaSo there would be some good regional rivals in play. Just as important it would make home and home possibilities with teams like Marshall, ECU, Wake and UNC-Concord a possibility. I would vote "yes"to the SB.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:46 am

I think the consensus among savvy App fans is very supportive of a SBC move.

The question is: Does Cobb still have a hard on for CUSA and nothing more? We all remember the post-UNCC CUSA invite whoring tour he took and the desperate media impact presentation that got us nowhere. All very public. All very much after the writing was on the wall that CUSA wasn't interested in small markets. I have yet to read that Cobb has even uttered the word "Sunbelt," and it utterly terrifies me.

Like I've said since the spring: No SBC, no Cobb.

AppFan11

Unread post by AppFan11 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:25 am

I think there is little doubt that should the SBC come knocking we will answer affirmitively. For a host of reasons: a)we have more in common with them than we do the socon schools (athletic budgets, facilities, fundraising, attendances, schedules) b) the desire to play at higher level c) the recognition (much delayed by Mr. Cobb) of the established pattern of conference realignment acc/big10 takes from BE, BE takes from Cusa and Cusa takes from SBC and SBC takes from independants or FCS. Quite a lovely set of dominoes don't you think? A couple of years ago I was not so hot on the SBC but since then they have added new teams they've upgraded their coaches and I do have a pretty good feeling their commish Mr. Benson is aggressively managing the conf.. Also for whatever its worth, I think this is the best real chance we have of moving up. I'd put it at about 50%. There is a reason that they haven't announced yet. From all that I've read, they will add two teams and the likely pair in order are: ASU and GSU, GSU and NMSU, GSU and Idaho St. I do believe we are their first choice. :D :D :D :) :) :) :lol: :lol: :lol:

rbarthle17
Site Admin

Unread post by rbarthle17 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:23 am

Gonzo wrote:I think the consensus among savvy App fans is very supportive of a SBC move.

The question is: Does Cobb still have a hard on for CUSA and nothing more? We all remember the post-UNCC CUSA invite whoring tour he took and the desperate media impact presentation that got us nowhere. All very public. All very much after the writing was on the wall that CUSA wasn't interested in small markets. I have yet to read that Cobb has even uttered the word "Sunbelt," and it utterly terrifies me.

First off, is the shot at ASU fans wanting to stay in the SoCon really necessary? I am sure there are plenty of "savvy" fans that have different priorities and see the SoCon as the right place for those goals. Backhanded comments like that server no purpose but to inflame.

Secondly, I am of the opinion that a move up is less than 50% right now, and through no fault of ASU. If I were Karl Benson, the absolute last thing I would do after yesterday's announcement is pull the trigger on some FCS schools until I know for sure that the trickle down from the Big East won't leave some much bigger fish out there looking for a landing spot. That may take as long as 2-3 years now depending on how the Big East situation plays out.

Prior to yesterday's events, I would have had us as 50/50 to get in (4 teams for 2 spots by all accounts, and nothing else really looming out there). Then suddenly the game changed again, the extent to which is currently unknown but could trickle down to the midmajors.

As long as nothing was signed by anyone, a verbal agreement means nothing and while ASU and GSU could absolutely complain publicly should Benson do a 180 (all speculation of course), it would be terrible PR for them to do so. Because, like it or not, the absolute truth is we (ASU and GSU) need the Sun Belt a hell of a lot more than they need us.

But I am certain that, regardless of the facts, some people will want a scapegoat should ASU remain in the SoCon.

rbarthle17
Site Admin

Unread post by rbarthle17 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:28 am

One other thing. We have an FBS Discussion folder here for a reason. Please stop littering the other folders with FBS discussions. The nice thing about this new setup is that new topics get promoted regardless of their location. Which makes the only reason to not put them in the proper folder one of laziness. Do your mods a favor, and please help keep things organized here.

vegattk

Unread post by vegattk » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:44 am

rbarthle17 wrote:First off, is the shot at ASU fans wanting to stay in the SoCon really necessary? I am sure there are plenty of "savvy" fans that have different priorities and see the SoCon as the right place for those goals. Backhanded comments like that server no purpose but to inflame.
I agree with you RB.... This type of message board behavior has been going on for a long long time here on the MMB....

It's almost like the Hatfields & McCoys when it comes to the FCS vs. FBS debate and seldom does anyone change sides...
One game does not a postseason make.
More App Games > Less App Games

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:00 pm

rbarthle17 wrote:
Gonzo wrote:I think the consensus among savvy App fans is very supportive of a SBC move.

First off, is the shot at ASU fans wanting to stay in the SoCon really necessary? I am sure there are plenty of "savvy" fans that have different priorities and see the SoCon as the right place for those goals. Backhanded comments like that server no purpose but to inflame.

Secondly, I am of the opinion that a move up is less than 50% right now, and through no fault of ASU. If I were Karl Benson, the absolute last thing I would do after yesterday's announcement is pull the trigger on some FCS schools until I know for sure that the trickle down from the Big East won't leave some much bigger fish out there looking for a landing spot. That may take as long as 2-3 years now depending on how the Big East situation plays out.

Prior to yesterday's events, I would have had us as 50/50 to get in (4 teams for 2 spots by all accounts, and nothing else really looming out there). Then suddenly the game changed again, the extent to which is currently unknown but could trickle down to the midmajors.

As long as nothing was signed by anyone, a verbal agreement means nothing and while ASU and GSU could absolutely complain publicly should Benson do a 180 (all speculation of course), it would be terrible PR for them to do so. Because, like it or not, the absolute truth is we (ASU and GSU) need the Sun Belt a hell of a lot more than they need us.

But I am certain that, regardless of the facts, some people will want a scapegoat should ASU remain in the SoCon.
I meant the majority of savvy App fans as in message board posters and, like or not, you are the minority with your anti-progress conceptions in this forum. I did not mean to be rude or imply that those in your camp are not savvy, though your venomous response may have changed my attitude. It is all about perspective and I respect each and every one of you for supporting App State.

You are correct that the ball isn't entirely in our court, but you seem to have missed the point of this thread/my response. The question posed in this thread and my response to it is referring to the hypothetical event that App receives a Sunbelt invite and whether or not Cobb will accept.

Prerequisite #1 is the invite, obviously. It doesn't take a genius to figure that out. Time will tell if we do. If we don't it could be for a number of reasons, some you mentioned and some you conveniently left out: some that center around a lack of interest and adequate initiatives from our salesman, Charlie Cobb. What you spin as "scapegoating," is holding people accountable in reality.

I am hopeful and confident that the deal WILL get done. But rest assured, should it not happen like I hope, I will objectively examine all that went wrong as I've been doing throughout this entire endeavor and attribute accordingly.

rbarthle17
Site Admin

Unread post by rbarthle17 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:34 pm

If by "conveniently left out" you mean that ASU would refuse an invite, then the question becomes, "Where will the proof be that the invite was given?" Because, much like the Coach Moore situation, people should (but won't) wait for facts to come out before passing judgement, or in this case calling for heads. To that end, play this out and how does it benefit either side to openly admit that an invite was given and rejected? ASU opens itself to a lynch-mob mentality from the FBS-or-bust crowd, and the Sun Belt looks ridiculous if it came out than an FCS school gave them the Heisman.

If both sides are smart, then such an instance will be kept under wraps and never spoken of. Which makes this question pointless because we'd never know. I strongly believe that the only way we find out about ASU formally rejecting a formal offer is if someone screws up on either side and leaks it.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:38 pm

rbarthle17 wrote:If by "conveniently left out" you mean that ASU would refuse an invite, then the question becomes, "Where will the proof be that the invite was given?" Because, much like the Coach Moore situation, people should (but won't) wait for facts to come out before passing judgement, or in this case calling for heads. To that end, play this out and how does it benefit either side to openly admit that an invite was given and rejected? ASU opens itself to a lynch-mob mentality from the FBS-or-bust crowd, and the Sun Belt looks ridiculous if it came out than an FCS school gave them the Heisman.

If both sides are smart, then such an instance will be kept under wraps and never spoken of. Which makes this question pointless because we'd never know. I strongly believe that the only way we find out about ASU formally rejecting a formal offer is if someone screws up on either side and leaks it.
I recall Montana's rejection of the WAC's invite as fairly public. You're probably right and we would never know though.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:07 pm

I agree with Rob. I'm pretty sure the SBC will know whether ASU is interested in joining the SBC before they issue the invitation. My fear is that we that have communicated to them that we aren't interested. I also believe Rob makes a good point about things being put on hold while things shake out over the Big East split. I think that is a real possibility.

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:30 pm

rbarthle17 wrote:

With the remaining football schools in the Big East getting an exemption to keep their auto bids there is no reason for anyone to drop back down except for possibly Boise and San Diego St to the MWC. If anything I think the BE football schools may add a few more teams to have two 8 team divisions. If everyone stays they have to add 1 more once Navy joins to get to 14. I'm thinking S. Miss and UTEP could be on the short list.
When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:30 pm

Neither the Hatfields or McCoys were right and most ended up dead. Just an observation.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:02 pm

Saint3333 wrote:Neither the Hatfields or McCoys were right and most ended up dead. Just an observation.
It would not end well for the FCSers if the two sides actually met in fisticuffs. Most of them are in the AARP. ;) :lol:

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:03 pm

Saint3333 wrote:Neither the Hatfields or McCoys were right and most ended up dead. Just an observation.
The Hatfields were in the right because they were West Virginians :mrgreen:
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

vegattk

Unread post by vegattk » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:07 pm

Gonzo wrote:
It would not end well for the FCSers if the two sides actually met in fisticuffs. Most of them are in the AARP. ;) :lol:
I've got a good 30+ years till I get my card....
One game does not a postseason make.
More App Games > Less App Games

TheMoody1

Unread post by TheMoody1 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:23 pm

vegattk wrote:
Gonzo wrote:
I've got a good 30+ years till I get my card....

You sure? Unless you are currently in your teens you will get an engraved invitation sooner than you think. They started hammering me this year when I turned 50. :D

huskie3

Unread post by huskie3 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:24 pm

Gonzo wrote:
I have had my AARP card for 13 years AND I AM AN FBSer. WE WERE AT THE TOP LEVEL WHEN I PLAYED AND ATTENDED APP. I WANT TO GO BACK TO OUR RIGHTFUL PLACE. CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW!!!!!!
Bring Your A Game!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Sun Belt Discussion”