Benson other G5 Commissioners Oppose Expansion

Discussion about anything related to the Sun Belt Conference
AppSt94
Posts: 2476
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:39 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Palmetto, FL
Has thanked: 458 times
Been thanked: 401 times

Re: Benson other G5 Commissioners Oppose Expansion

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:16 pm

BCS or CFP. It makes no real difference as it is all a popularity contest.



User avatar
/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09
Posts: 1576
Joined: Fri May 15, 2015 2:05 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Stephens City, VA
Has thanked: 257 times
Been thanked: 512 times

Re: Benson other G5 Commissioners Oppose Expansion

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:53 pm

We knew this before we moved up. Why is anyone surprised?



User avatar
McLeansvilleAppFan
Posts: 6078
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:37 am
School: Appalachian State
Location: Greensboro (McLeansville) NC
Has thanked: 1018 times
Been thanked: 598 times

Re: Benson other G5 Commissioners Oppose Expansion

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:06 am

I can be in support of the move up, not like the system in place and not be surprised all at the same time.


This is my very generic signature added to each post.

AppDawg
Posts: 1258
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:19 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 1032 times
Been thanked: 415 times

Re: Benson other G5 Commissioners Oppose Expansion

Unread post by AppDawg » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:31 pm

What gets me is of all folks the AAC Commish, especially this season, gives a full throated endorsement of the current set-up and agaist expansion. If I were UCF, I’d take that as a punch to the gut.

Makes no sense to me.



User avatar
AppGrad78
Posts: 3797
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:33 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Born: Waynesville, NC; Resides: Greensboro, NC
Has thanked: 1088 times
Been thanked: 464 times

Re: Benson other G5 Commissioners Oppose Expansion

Unread post by AppGrad78 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:56 pm

AppDawg wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:31 pm
What gets me is of all folks the AAC Commish, especially this season, gives a full throated endorsement of the current set-up and agaist expansion. If I were UCF, I’d take that as a punch to the gut.

Makes no sense to me.
Agreed. The only conclusion I can draw is that somebody's on the take.

With 40-some-odd bowls, there are 40-some-odd bowl directors who are determined to keep the status quo. And most of them have the wherewithal to "influence" the decision makers in college football.

This fear of extending the season too far into January is nothing more than a red herring.



User avatar
wb247
Posts: 127
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:55 pm
Has thanked: 19 times
Been thanked: 21 times

Re: Benson other G5 Commissioners Oppose Expansion

Unread post by wb247 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:32 am

AppGrad78 wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:56 pm
AppDawg wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:31 pm
What gets me is of all folks the AAC Commish, especially this season, gives a full throated endorsement of the current set-up and agaist expansion. If I were UCF, I’d take that as a punch to the gut.

Makes no sense to me.
Agreed. The only conclusion I can draw is that somebody's on the take.

With 40-some-odd bowls, there are 40-some-odd bowl directors who are determined to keep the status quo. And most of them have the wherewithal to "influence" the decision makers in college football.

This fear of extending the season too far into January is nothing more than a red herring.
Yep. That quote just reads like pre-planning to not need to back-pedal in a future job interview.



User avatar
JTApps1
Posts: 2053
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:18 am
School: Appalachian State
Location: Lake Wylie
Has thanked: 317 times
Been thanked: 535 times

Re: Benson other G5 Commissioners Oppose Expansion

Unread post by JTApps1 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:45 am

AppGrad78 wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:56 pm
AppDawg wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:31 pm
What gets me is of all folks the AAC Commish, especially this season, gives a full throated endorsement of the current set-up and agaist expansion. If I were UCF, I’d take that as a punch to the gut.

Makes no sense to me.
Agreed. The only conclusion I can draw is that somebody's on the take.

With 40-some-odd bowls, there are 40-some-odd bowl directors who are determined to keep the status quo. And most of them have the wherewithal to "influence" the decision makers in college football.

This fear of extending the season too far into January is nothing more than a red herring.
Currently , there are 39 bowls and ESPN owns 14 of them. ABC/ESPN also has the TV contract for the CFP which includes 6 more of those bowls plus the CFP Championship, and they own the TV rights to all but a few of the other games. It's pretty easy to see that ESPN holds all the cards/money, so if they're happy with the system everyone else will be as well. At least in their public remarks.

Benson's comments said it all. The conference went from $1-2 million in the BCS to $12-15 million in the CFP with the possibility for $4 million more if we get a team in an NY6 bowl. The school Presidents aren't going to bite the hand that feeds them especially with the issue of increasing costs in D1 athletics.

The Presidents will take guaranteed money over the interests of the fans/teams and an unknown financial impact.
Last edited by JTApps1 on Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:52 am, edited 2 times in total.


When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

t4pizza
Posts: 2686
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:00 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 17 times
Been thanked: 82 times

Re: Benson other G5 Commissioners Oppose Expansion

Unread post by t4pizza » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:48 am

AppGrad78 wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:56 pm
AppDawg wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:31 pm
What gets me is of all folks the AAC Commish, especially this season, gives a full throated endorsement of the current set-up and agaist expansion. If I were UCF, I’d take that as a punch to the gut.

Makes no sense to me.
Agreed. The only conclusion I can draw is that somebody's on the take.

With 40-some-odd bowls, there are 40-some-odd bowl directors who are determined to keep the status quo. And most of them have the wherewithal to "influence" the decision makers in college football.

This fear of extending the season too far into January is nothing more than a red herring.
There are no longer really any powerful independent bowl directors that are fighting for the status quo. ESPN has purchased the vast majority of bowls and therefore ESPN is the bowl director. ESPN is clearly determined to keep the system because the bowl ratings are good, in fact they were up 12% this year. I don't think anyone individually is on the take, but ESPN (Disney) is a huge company with great influence that gets what it wants. The G5 are way better off under the current system than we were under previous systems and I am sure the collective G5 Presidents and ADs are afraid to rock the boat too much for fear of falling out and getting even less crumbs than they do now.



User avatar
AppGrad78
Posts: 3797
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:33 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Born: Waynesville, NC; Resides: Greensboro, NC
Has thanked: 1088 times
Been thanked: 464 times

Re: Benson other G5 Commissioners Oppose Expansion

Unread post by AppGrad78 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:11 pm

t4pizza wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:48 am
AppGrad78 wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:56 pm
AppDawg wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:31 pm
What gets me is of all folks the AAC Commish, especially this season, gives a full throated endorsement of the current set-up and agaist expansion. If I were UCF, I’d take that as a punch to the gut.

Makes no sense to me.
Agreed. The only conclusion I can draw is that somebody's on the take.

With 40-some-odd bowls, there are 40-some-odd bowl directors who are determined to keep the status quo. And most of them have the wherewithal to "influence" the decision makers in college football.

This fear of extending the season too far into January is nothing more than a red herring.
There are no longer really any powerful independent bowl directors that are fighting for the status quo. ESPN has purchased the vast majority of bowls and therefore ESPN is the bowl director. ESPN is clearly determined to keep the system because the bowl ratings are good, in fact they were up 12% this year. I don't think anyone individually is on the take, but ESPN (Disney) is a huge company with great influence that gets what it wants. The G5 are way better off under the current system than we were under previous systems and I am sure the collective G5 Presidents and ADs are afraid to rock the boat too much for fear of falling out and getting even less crumbs than they do now.
ESPN has ownership of most of the bowls but human beings still run the bowls — call them a bowl director, the chamber of commerce president, some civic head-honcho, whomever. They have a vested interest in seeing that the bowl remains in their city. Bowls have the participating schools on the hook for millions of dollars in the form of tickets, hotels, entertainment, etc., and almost none of that makes its way back to Bristol. An expanded playoff is likely to reduce the number of bowls, and you can bet the folks running the lower-tier bowls will do anything in their power to prevent that from happening.



t4pizza
Posts: 2686
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:00 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 17 times
Been thanked: 82 times

Re: Benson other G5 Commissioners Oppose Expansion

Unread post by t4pizza » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:25 pm

I agree that the powers that be don't want to have less bowls, but I contend it is simply for tv audience and the advertisers that live sports generate. The communities might benefit some from the bowls but ESPN probably has no care about tickets sold because they are making their money on the advertisers of the live programing. No way they reduce bowls when viewership increased 12%. So we agree on the basic idea that there is no desire from those in charge to change the system, I just see it as a corporate ESPN decision moreso than the once powerful individual bowls.



EastHallApp
Posts: 4632
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:34 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Raleigh
Has thanked: 1645 times
Been thanked: 1358 times

Re: Benson other G5 Commissioners Oppose Expansion

Unread post by EastHallApp » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:34 pm

Is the idea that CFP expansion would reduce bowls because the earlier rounds would presumably be on campus sites? Or is their some other rationale?



User avatar
AppGrad78
Posts: 3797
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:33 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Born: Waynesville, NC; Resides: Greensboro, NC
Has thanked: 1088 times
Been thanked: 464 times

Re: Benson other G5 Commissioners Oppose Expansion

Unread post by AppGrad78 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:06 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:34 pm
Is the idea that CFP expansion would reduce bowls because the earlier rounds would presumably be on campus sites? Or is their some other rationale?
If the playoffs were to expand, I think the bowls see themselves as going the way of the NIT. The non-playoff bowl games will take on less relevance. Indeed, that'll happen. I would argue that it already has.



User avatar
moonshine
Posts: 1494
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:25 am
School: Appalachian State
Location: High Country
Has thanked: 206 times
Been thanked: 394 times

Re: Benson other G5 Commissioners Oppose Expansion

Unread post by moonshine » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:45 pm

AppDawg wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:31 pm
What gets me is of all folks the AAC Commish, especially this season, gives a full throated endorsement of the current set-up and agaist expansion. If I were UCF, I’d take that as a punch to the gut.

Makes no sense to me.

Go check out what AAC fans are saying about it on the csnbbs board. Essentially, autonomous conferences have a "major" NY bowl tie-in (ie. Orange, Fiesta, Cotton & Peach) which gives them automatic inclusion into the (invitational) playoff. They want their "power" title back that they lost with the break up of the Big East.

My guess is Aresco is trying to get that auto tie-in via the Peach Bowl. Another words, the AAC wants inclusion in the current set up, not expansion. The AAC does not care what happens with the other 4 conferences, they are simply looking out for themselves. If expansion doesn't involve automatic inclusion they really have no reason to campaign for it. As it stands now, they are the top "G" conference and can more often than not get the Access NY6 bowl with a small chance at the CFP.



Here's what some AAC posters are saying about it:

"Aresco has never advocated for an expanded playoff. His goal was and is for the AAC to move back into the existing power structure that was taken in the last round of conference realignment,, period. The whole p6 campaign agenda is meant to apply pressure through fan acceptance of the AAC brand as a legitimate power by recognizing our accomplishments on the field/court enough for a NY6 bowl to accept us as their anchor conference which would put us back into the p5/6. As you can see as of now the conversation is being steered towards a g5 bid rather than an AAC auto-bid, that's not our goal at all because that would still leave us lumped in with the g5s. So calm down everybody,the man knows what he's doing"

"To be a power conference you just need a NY6 tie in. If we can get that with the Peach Bowl that would be huge. No more fighting other conference champions for a spot we just automatically get it by winning the conference."

"G4 isn't interested in playing at the highest level - except maybe a handful of teams like Boise, SDSU, etc. The conferences overall are going with this because they were given just enough money to keep quiet. The Sun Belt commissioner just said as much - they're happy with their $15 million regardless if that kills access for good.

Remember it took them being on board to agree to this - while ensuring the Big East/AAC was demoted in the process. AAC never had a chance. You have the P5 wanting at minimum the status quo and you have the G4 happy with the extra few million thrown their way to keep quiet.

This leaves the American on an island by themselves with Aresco likely being threatened behind closed doors. Explains his sudden change in tune given he created the P6 narrative. Now that it's real, they're spooked. One can hope UCF's willingness to rock the boat a bit can go far and maybe create pressure from outside the football club."

"Can anyone produce anything where Aresco has pushed for an expanded playoff? The goal was and is for the AAC to move back into the existing power structure. All that takes is a contract bowl which is the whole purpose of the p6 narrative"


Picked up via free agency by the High Country All-Stars

AppSt94
Posts: 2476
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:39 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: Palmetto, FL
Has thanked: 458 times
Been thanked: 401 times

Re: Benson other G5 Commissioners Oppose Expansion

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:55 pm

AppGrad78 wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:06 pm
EastHallApp wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:34 pm
Is the idea that CFP expansion would reduce bowls because the earlier rounds would presumably be on campus sites? Or is their some other rationale?
If the playoffs were to expand, I think the bowls see themselves as going the way of the NIT. The non-playoff bowl games will take on less relevance. Indeed, that'll happen. I would argue that it already has.
Do the non CFP games actually have relevance now?



AppDawg
Posts: 1258
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:19 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 1032 times
Been thanked: 415 times

Re: Benson other G5 Commissioners Oppose Expansion

Unread post by AppDawg » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:00 am

moonshine wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:45 pm
AppDawg wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:31 pm
What gets me is of all folks the AAC Commish, especially this season, gives a full throated endorsement of the current set-up and agaist expansion. If I were UCF, I’d take that as a punch to the gut.

Makes no sense to me.

Go check out what AAC fans are saying about it on the csnbbs board. Essentially, autonomous conferences have a "major" NY bowl tie-in (ie. Orange, Fiesta, Cotton & Peach) which gives them automatic inclusion into the (invitational) playoff. They want their "power" title back that they lost with the break up of the Big East.

My guess is Aresco is trying to get that auto tie-in via the Peach Bowl. Another words, the AAC wants inclusion in the current set up, not expansion. The AAC does not care what happens with the other 4 conferences, they are simply looking out for themselves. If expansion doesn't involve automatic inclusion they really have no reason to campaign for it. As it stands now, they are the top "G" conference and can more often than not get the Access NY6 bowl with a small chance at the CFP.



Here's what some AAC posters are saying about it:

"Aresco has never advocated for an expanded playoff. His goal was and is for the AAC to move back into the existing power structure that was taken in the last round of conference realignment,, period. The whole p6 campaign agenda is meant to apply pressure through fan acceptance of the AAC brand as a legitimate power by recognizing our accomplishments on the field/court enough for a NY6 bowl to accept us as their anchor conference which would put us back into the p5/6. As you can see as of now the conversation is being steered towards a g5 bid rather than an AAC auto-bid, that's not our goal at all because that would still leave us lumped in with the g5s. So calm down everybody,the man knows what he's doing"

"To be a power conference you just need a NY6 tie in. If we can get that with the Peach Bowl that would be huge. No more fighting other conference champions for a spot we just automatically get it by winning the conference."

"G4 isn't interested in playing at the highest level - except maybe a handful of teams like Boise, SDSU, etc. The conferences overall are going with this because they were given just enough money to keep quiet. The Sun Belt commissioner just said as much - they're happy with their $15 million regardless if that kills access for good.

Remember it took them being on board to agree to this - while ensuring the Big East/AAC was demoted in the process. AAC never had a chance. You have the P5 wanting at minimum the status quo and you have the G4 happy with the extra few million thrown their way to keep quiet.

This leaves the American on an island by themselves with Aresco likely being threatened behind closed doors. Explains his sudden change in tune given he created the P6 narrative. Now that it's real, they're spooked. One can hope UCF's willingness to rock the boat a bit can go far and maybe create pressure from outside the football club."

"Can anyone produce anything where Aresco has pushed for an expanded playoff? The goal was and is for the AAC to move back into the existing power structure. All that takes is a contract bowl which is the whole purpose of the p6 narrative"
I guess I can see that... Don’t see the P5 capitulating, but we will see.

On the Benson front all I can say is, you are what you aspire to be.



Appalachman
Posts: 125
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:21 pm
Been thanked: 12 times

Re: Benson other G5 Commissioners Oppose Expansion

Unread post by Appalachman » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:28 am

Benson has a plan! The sunbelt can set the record straight this year. Ark St and ULL both visit Alabama, maybe ArkSt can pass Bama the OOC losing bug. Two SB conference Ws and conference throne passed to the belt. Then any undefeated sunbelt team walks into the playoff.



Yosef84
Posts: 1278
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:27 am
Has thanked: 73 times
Been thanked: 379 times

Re: Benson other G5 Commissioners Oppose Expansion

Unread post by Yosef84 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:37 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:55 pm
AppGrad78 wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:06 pm
EastHallApp wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:34 pm
Is the idea that CFP expansion would reduce bowls because the earlier rounds would presumably be on campus sites? Or is their some other rationale?
If the playoffs were to expand, I think the bowls see themselves as going the way of the NIT. The non-playoff bowl games will take on less relevance. Indeed, that'll happen. I would argue that it already has.
Do the non CFP games actually have relevance now?
I get your point but I still have to say.....ALL games have relevance to the teams who play them. The connection between a game and the national title is not the only source of relevance.



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Sun Belt Discussion”

  • Who is online
  • In total there are 5 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 5 guests

    Most users ever online was 1551 on Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:31 pm

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests