Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Bubas Cup 2018-2019

Discussion about anything related to the Sun Belt Conference
McLeansvilleAppFan
School: Appalachian State

Bubas Cup 2018-2019

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:09 pm

2018-2019 Bubas Cup Standings.

Obviously very early and the round robin sport of MSOC has yet to play any conference matches yet. But I wanted to toss this out now. Unlike the Sun Belt travel options post I have that anyone can edit, only I have editing options for those. However if you want to help edit the data or add some statistical analysis options I don't mind setting it up for other to edit.

Bubas Cup Rules

The following is copied and pasted straight from the Sun Belt website.

SCORING: Points for the Bubas Cup are awarded based on regular season finish for sports that have a regular season conference schedule. Points are awarded based on Sun Belt Championship finish if that sport does not have a regular season conference schedule.

Points are awarded based on the number of schools sponsoring the sport. Institutions not sponsoring a sport do not receive points in that sport. Institutions tying for positions split the combined points of their positions.
For sports that have both a regular season schedule and a conference tournament, one additional point will be awarded to the winner of the conference tournament.

For sports with divisions, the conference records of all teams are ranked and points are awarded regardless of divisional finish.
-----
Added notes by McLeansvilleAppFan:
Volleyball, with 12 schools participating, awards 12 points for 1st place, 11 points for second place, and so forth down to 1 point for 12th place. Eight of the 18 Sun Belt sponsored sports have 12 schools competing. Men’s Soccer is on the other extreme. Five schools compete in men’s soccer so first place earns 5 points, second place earns 4 points, and so forth.

Schools that tie split the points by adding up the points earned for the tied positions and dividing by the number of schools that tied. And it is not uncommon to have 3- or sometimes 4-way ties.

Men’s Soccer, Women’s Soccer, Volleyball, Football, Women’s Basketball, Men’s Basketball, Softball and Baseball have both a regular season and a championship tournament. The tournament winner decides which school represents the Sun Belt in any NCAA tournament. Bubas Cup points are awarded for the regular season finish in an at-large pool of schools. Divisions do not matter for Bubas Cup points. The tournament winner receives one extra Bubas Cup point.

Men’s Cross Country, Women’s Cross Country, Men’s Indoor Track and Field, Women’s Indoor Track and Field, Women’s Golf, Men’s Golf, Men’s Tennis, Women’s Tennis, Men’s Outdoor Track and Field, and Women’s Outdoor Track and Field do not have a regular season that involves any sort of sanctioned round robin competition that would constitute a regular season. The conference championship results alone determine Bubas Cup points.

In the case of tennis the actual Bubas Cup points for teams are also determined by NCAA rankings for any part of the bracket that is not completed for all the seeds. 1st and 2nd place and the corresponding Bubas Cup points would be determined by the conference tournament. Any school placing 3rd place or lower earns Bubas Cup points by NCAA rankings. The end result is that tennis Bubas Cup points are earned by performance and schedule against non Sun Belt Schools, as W-L and SOS in the end determines the NCAA rankings. One can tell the order of the rankings based on the seeds in the tournament.

No Bubas Cup points are awarded to any school that sponsors any sport that is not sponsored by the Sun Belt. Field Hockey and Wrestling for Appalachian is one example. Georgia Southern has rifle and swimming and diving. Many schools have non Sun Belt sports as part of their athletic program.

My spreadsheet does contain a tab that separates Women’s points from Men’s points. That is 100% unofficial but can be interesting to examine. There is also a tab for sports by season. This is also unofficial but again interesting to see how different schools sometimes excel during a certain time of the year.

Finally, Unity Points is also unofficial. It is my personal attempt to make every sport count the same. I take the points earned and divide by the points possible for that sport. The conference regular season championship would earn 1.0 unity points or slightly less is there was a tie. A school in the exact middle of the standings would earn 0.5 unity points, and so forth.

I am not aware of any conference that does not sponsor some sort of all-sport competition. It seems every conference does something a bit different. Some conferences make every sport equal weight but the increment in points varies based on the number of schools competing in that sport. (This is very close to my unity points.) Some conferences do the same except the next place only loses one cup point. In that system schools that offer lots of sports can be helped because even last place could be worth 6 or 7 points. Some conferences split the men’s and women’s competitions. (This seems rare but the Southern Conference does this due to The Citadel and VMI not sponsoring many women’s sports.)

There is also a NCAA wide Cup that gives points for NCAA tournament results. (http://www.nacda.com/directorscup/nacda-...oring.html)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

At some point the masthead link will get updated for the new year but that is above my pay grade in getting done.

As many know I update this on most Sunday's when there are Sun Belt match-ups. I try and make time and update when sports finish which is often during the week for some sports due to when the conference tournament is held. In the spring if the overall Cup situation is close I may update after important games that change the Bubas Cup standings. I can not remember this happening over the last few years in the Sun Belt, but I do remember App only locking up an old SoCon Commissioner Cup only after the very last baseball game of the year and the baseball game was between two other schools. The effect on the standings made a difference in Cup points to the point of the overall school was determined by the outcome, and I think it went down to the last inning.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Re: Bubas Cup 2018-2019

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:24 am

Updated through 6 Oct 2018 and now with MSOC included.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d ... edit#gid=0

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:01 pm

2018-2019 Bubas Cup

Updates through 13 Oct. Not included at 4 SB WSOC matches today.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:49 am

Updated through football last night.

Bubas Cup 2018-2019

MXC and WXC both put up real points next Saturday for the SBC meet.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:07 am

Updated with final results for XC. Women won XC and men took 2nd. WSOC regular season is complete with one point left for the tournament winner.

docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1nPFu9-Rgm0mdQGxnTs_jWQQjJSXUgyqWqpP6YG445-M/edit#gid=0

Cut and paste the URL. I could not get the link button to work correctly.

JMappfan5

Unread post by JMappfan5 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:56 am

Thanks McLeansville!!! Fall teams looking good!!!

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:07 pm

JMappfan5 wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:56 am
Thanks McLeansville!!! Fall teams looking good!!!
Fall is our strong season, but this is a bit better than the last few years overall.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Sun Belt Discussion”