Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Louisiana 50,000 Seats for Football within 3 years

Discussion about anything related to the Sun Belt Conference
hapapp
School: Appalachian State

Re: Louisiana 50,000 Seats for Football within 3 years

Unread post by hapapp » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:06 pm

ASUGoose wrote:
Kgfish wrote:
EastHallApp wrote:People here worry so much about how many seats our stadium holds, but did you happen to see the post earlier today that said ULL's coach makes more than 4x what SS makes? IMO, that disparity is a much bigger issue for App than the one in seating capacity.
I was going to post this in the coaches salary thread, but since budgets seem to have popped up here I figured this would be the proper place. Sorry but this is going to be a bit long.

Looking at it in cost of doing business terms it is easy to see how some SB schools are paying their coaches more. Due to the equal revenue streams at the G5 FBS level the fewer number of teams a school funds directly affects what they can pay coaches.

# of men's & women's sports and total # of NCAA allowable scholarships

Mark Hudspeth, UL, $950,000 -
7 men @ 137 + 7 women @ 79 = 216

Blake Anderson, Arkansas State, $700,000
6 men @ 127 + 8 women @ 78 = 205

Larry Blakeney, Troy, $480,000
7 men @ 137 + 8 women @ 93 = 215
(they also show Rodeo as a sport but it is funded by a group of rodeo enthusiasts across the region)

Trent Miles, Georgia State, $450,000
6 men @ 128 + 9 women @ 97 = 225

Joey Jones, South Alabama, $435,000
7 men @ 131 = 8 women @ 85 = 216

Dennis Franchione, Texas State, $400,000
6 men @ 127 + 8 women @ 85 = 212

Paul Petrino, Idaho, $390,000
6 men @ 112 + 8 women @ 87 = 199

Doug Martin, New Mexico State*, $363,000
6 men @ 131 / 10 women @ 114 (including equestrian) = 245

Todd Berry, UL Monroe, $306,000
6 men sports @ 127 scholarships + 9 women sports @ 83 scholarships = 210

Willie Fritz, Georgia Southern*, $300,000
6 men @ 128 + 10 women @ 103 = 231

Scott Satterfield, Appalachian State*, $225,000
9 men @ 151 + 9 women @ 97 scholarships = 248

While it is a good bet each of the school does not fund every scholarship for every sport the concept applies. The other thing to consider is not only do schools like ULL & Ark State have fewer sports, the types of sports they fund require fewer scholarships, less travel and facility cost.

Prime example. App sponsors Field Hockey, which I'm betting is fully funded. Twelve grants, a lot of equipment, large facility and cost of playing in a league that stretches across America. Ark State counters with Bowling. Requiring 5 grants. Minimal cost of equipment and no cost in facility investment.

IMO, App will have to streamline its number of sports somewhere down the line.

Agree - there could be a potential of teams cut sometime in the next 5 years IMO. I see the list of potential candidates to be Wrestling, along w/ Men's & Women's Cross Country.

I have nothing personal against these sports, just my opinion based on popularity of the respective sports.
Seriously doubt they would cut cross country. It is tied to the T&F program, and costs very little to maintain. They don't play a conference schedule so travel is not an issue.

moehler

Unread post by moehler » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:22 pm

a lot is going to depend on that next tv deal for USA, at this moment there is no doubt, from top to bottom the SBC is a stronger football conference than USA, and ultimately, that's where the money is made. In 2 years if USA doesn't get the TV deal they desire or, which I predict, the deal will be less than the present one, cant imagine anyone from the SBC is going to be willing to move. Personally, I think USA screwed up passing on LLU to take such schools as FAU, FIU, or ODU, UNCC. I know the reason they were chosen, TV markets, but LLU is winning bowls games, and really putting a lot of time, effort and money into their athletic dept, they look like a force to be dealt with on the national level in the future. This is exactly the kind of athletic program you need to try and convience TV executives to give USA a better tv contract. No offense, but if you guys are going to make your pitch in 2 years, based on the production of UNCC, ODU, FIU, FAU, its going to be a tough sale.

Maddog1956

Unread post by Maddog1956 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:50 pm

moehler wrote:a lot is going to depend on that next tv deal for USA, at this moment there is no doubt, from top to bottom the SBC is a stronger football conference than USA, and ultimately, that's where the money is made. In 2 years if USA doesn't get the TV deal they desire or, which I predict, the deal will be less than the present one, cant imagine anyone from the SBC is going to be willing to move. Personally, I think USA screwed up passing on LLU to take such schools as FAU, FIU, or ODU, UNCC. I know the reason they were chosen, TV markets, but LLU is winning bowls games, and really putting a lot of time, effort and money into their athletic dept, they look like a force to be dealt with on the national level in the future. This is exactly the kind of athletic program you need to try and convience TV executives to give USA a better tv contract. No offense, but if you guys are going to make your pitch in 2 years, based on the production of UNCC, ODU, FIU, FAU, its going to be a tough sale.
Some people think there are too many bowls, but I think the #'s of bowl will help people know which are the better football conferences. If things turn out as expected. :D

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:57 pm

moehler wrote:a lot is going to depend on that next tv deal for USA, at this moment there is no doubt, from top to bottom the SBC is a stronger football conference than USA, and ultimately, that's where the money is made. In 2 years if USA doesn't get the TV deal they desire or, which I predict, the deal will be less than the present one, cant imagine anyone from the SBC is going to be willing to move. Personally, I think USA screwed up passing on LLU to take such schools as FAU, FIU, or ODU, UNCC. I know the reason they were chosen, TV markets, but LLU is winning bowls games, and really putting a lot of time, effort and money into their athletic dept, they look like a force to be dealt with on the national level in the future. This is exactly the kind of athletic program you need to try and convience TV executives to give USA a better tv contract. No offense, but if you guys are going to make your pitch in 2 years, based on the production of UNCC, ODU, FIU, FAU, its going to be a tough sale.
I imagine the CUSA viewer numbers will diminish some compared to the recent past, however, sadly there is no guarantee a winning team will pull in viewers and that is what matters. One can argue stats and win/loses but what matters is the viewer watching the game and therefore the ads. I am not so sure that a large market approach, which is what CUSA was going after may not bring in more money even with weak teams than a winning team in a smaller market. Time will tell, but winning does not guarantee viewers, though I realize being in a large market does not guarantee viewers either just with raw number it is easier.

Ultimately the SB has to be better than CUSA as that will help bring in viewers. But only the last three words of the previous sentence really matter.

In the case of App and by extension the SB, I wonder if Boone was part of the Triad media market instead of Charlotte if that would help? I remember Boone cable carrying Eastern Tenn TV stations and WXII out of Winston-Salem, and maybe Charlotte. This would have been late 80s early 1990s. It seems the media market was redefined at some point at least with the TV stations. The other week I only noticed Charlotte stations on the cable line-up, but then we have the Winston paper claiming us and doing a lot more than Charlotte seems to do. Boone is in a weird area with TV/radio/print media not aligning. That can be beneficial but it also can hurt in that no one really claims us (except the very local Wat. Dem.) and Tommy Bowman. If Boone was in the Triad media market it would place us in a smaller media market, but it would also have us as the only public FBS football school in the market. That could be beneficial. And the Triad market is not that small, just much more spread out than Charlotte.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:21 pm

Yes, CUSA went for TV markets while the Sun Belt went for football programs. On the surface that makes sense - after all, most of the best and most marketable football programs are in relatively small Southern college towns, and they're driving massive TV contracts.

The key for the Sun Belt (and CUSA, to some extent) will be how those recent start-up and FCS transitional programs develop. There's not really enough to market in the Sun Belt right now beyond ULL and Arkansas State - the middle of the league has been mediocre, and the bottom is the worst in FBS. However, if App and Ga. Southern develop as anticipated, USA continues to rise, Ga. State becomes at least respectable, and then you get the occasional strong year from Troy/Texas St./ULM - all of which seems entirely plausible - then you've got yourself a pretty solid and deep league.

Kgfish

Unread post by Kgfish » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:29 pm

ASUGoose wrote:
Kgfish wrote:
EastHallApp wrote:People here worry so much about how many seats our stadium holds, but did you happen to see the post earlier today that said ULL's coach makes more than 4x what SS makes? IMO, that disparity is a much bigger issue for App than the one in seating capacity.
I was going to post this in the coaches salary thread, but since budgets seem to have popped up here I figured this would be the proper place. Sorry but this is going to be a bit long.

Looking at it in cost of doing business terms it is easy to see how some SB schools are paying their coaches more. Due to the equal revenue streams at the G5 FBS level the fewer number of teams a school funds directly affects what they can pay coaches.

(they also show Rodeo as a sport but it is funded by a group of rodeo enthusiasts across the region)

While it is a good bet each of the school does not fund every scholarship for every sport the concept applies. The other thing to consider is not only do schools like ULL & Ark State have fewer sports, the types of sports they fund require fewer scholarships, less travel and facility cost.

Prime example. App sponsors Field Hockey, which I'm betting is fully funded. Twelve grants, a lot of equipment, large facility and cost of playing in a league that stretches across America. Ark State counters with Bowling. Requiring 5 grants. Minimal cost of equipment and no cost in facility investment.

Agree - there could be a potential of teams cut sometime in the next 5 years IMO. I see the list of potential candidates to be Wrestling, along w/ Men's & Women's Cross Country.

I have nothing personal against these sports, just my opinion based on popularity of the respective sports.
Cross Country is basically a freebie since you use long distance track athletes.
No Generation Has The Right To Contract Debts Greater Than Can Be Paid Off During It's Own Existence.

George Washington

Kgfish

Unread post by Kgfish » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:33 pm

hapapp wrote:
Kgfish wrote:
NewApp wrote:
Kgfish wrote:

In 2013-14, The Field Hockey team had 12 matches in NC and Virginia.
Three matches were in NC. Two trips (four games) were to Harrisonburg, Va. One trip (two games) to Richmond with a trip to Philly for two matches. Past schedules include trips to Kentucky, Ohio, Indiana, Delaware, Pennsylvania, and California. For a program with an average W-L record of 3-16 over the past 7 years. ASU sports info doesn't list any farther back than that. Not hating on women's athletics, just the insanity of having a program that few, if any, public high schools in NC play. It is primarily a northern women's private / boarding school sport meaning a majority of the scholarships are out of state (3 players out of 23 from NC) and few colleges in NC have.
It is primarily a northern sport but public schools also sponsor the sport. In Virginia a large number of schools in the Richmond, Tidewater, and NOVA areas also sponsor the sport. In the rural part of the state, it is generally confined to private schools. In light of the fact that they just created a facility for them, I wouldn't think they are looking to close down the sport.
I haven't heard of one public school in NC that sponsors field hockey. IMO, it makes more sense to replace it with lacrosse.
No Generation Has The Right To Contract Debts Greater Than Can Be Paid Off During It's Own Existence.

George Washington

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:45 pm

Kgfish wrote:
NewApp wrote:
Kgfish wrote:

Three matches were in NC. Two trips (four games) were to Harrisonburg, Va. One trip (two games) to Richmond with a trip to Philly for two matches. Past schedules include trips to Kentucky, Ohio, Indiana, Delaware, Pennsylvania, and California. For a program with an average W-L record of 3-16 over the past 7 years. ASU sports info doesn't list any farther back than that. Not hating on women's athletics, just the insanity of having a program that few, if any, public high schools in NC play. It is primarily a northern women's private / boarding school sport meaning a majority of the scholarships are out of state (3 players out of 23 from NC) and few colleges in NC have.
I couldn't get 2013/14's schedule to come up, but 2012/13 showed 13 matches held in NC and Virginia.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

Kgfish

Unread post by Kgfish » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:51 pm

NewApp wrote:
Kgfish wrote:
NewApp wrote:
Kgfish wrote:

I couldn't get 2013/14's schedule to come up, but 2012/13 showed 13 matches held in NC and Virginia.
You are including 5 home matches. A bit misleading.

George Washington

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:56 pm

Just including matches we didn't have to travel to. It is misleading to do otherwise.
Google SUX

Nugget49
School: Charlotte

Unread post by Nugget49 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:17 pm

No offense taken. I see your point but disagree that the future C-USA TV contract will be smaller than the current one if for no other reason than Fox Sports 1 has come online and they too need to fill the day with content. I am not saying C-USA is going to be football gold, but ESPN and Fox Sports (and others) will be splitting up what is available and we are going to be on the table at a good time.

FIU and FAU are head-scratchers. I think we all know that the Florida market is why C-USA wanted them, and that Boca to Miami TV market is huge should they get it together. ODU is a gem. They have been a tremendously successful start-up and have sold out (20,000+) every game since 2009. They have 4500 people on their waiting list and are going to start building a bigger stadium soon. The Tidewater area is strong recruiting ground.

Charlotte doesn't bring anything other than potential to the football equation. Some on this board would have you believe that we are just a community college using hand-me-down uniforms from Butler High School. Well let me tell you, our uniforms are new!

Seriously, if you have not been to Charlotte's campus in a decade and are close by ride through some time. I don't expect you to fall in love and join us, but I think it will surprise you. Here is a fun fact: in the last 5 years the UNC System enrollment has grown by 6800 students. 48% of them are at Charlotte. We will be at 35,000 students by the time we come play in Boone.

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:43 pm

Nugget49 wrote:
No offense taken. I see your point but disagree that the future C-USA TV contract will be smaller than the current one if for no other reason than Fox Sports 1 has come online and they too need to fill the day with content. I am not saying C-USA is going to be football gold, but ESPN and Fox Sports (and others) will be splitting up what is available and we are going to be on the table at a good time.

FIU and FAU are head-scratchers. I think we all know that the Florida market is why C-USA wanted them, and that Boca to Miami TV market is huge should they get it together. ODU is a gem. They have been a tremendously successful start-up and have sold out (20,000+) every game since 2009. They have 4500 people on their waiting list and are going to start building a bigger stadium soon. The Tidewater area is strong recruiting ground.

Charlotte doesn't bring anything other than potential to the football equation. Some on this board would have you believe that we are just a community college using hand-me-down uniforms from Butler High School. Well let me tell you, our uniforms are new!

Seriously, if you have not been to Charlotte's campus in a decade and are close by ride through some time. I don't expect you to fall in love and join us, but I think it will surprise you. Here is a fun fact: in the last 5 years the UNC System enrollment has grown by 6800 students. 48% of them are at Charlotte. We will be at 35,000 students by the time we come play in Boone.
And about 10% of them live on campus! Nice! :mrgreen:
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:50 pm

UNCC fan says FIU and FAU are head scratchers, yet sees no problem with the conference adding a school that had never played a down of football. You were added due to location same as FIU and FAU. I refuse to use the word market as that would indicate any of those three teams command market share, which few, if any, G5 school does.

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:54 pm

NewApp wrote:
Kgfish wrote:While it is a good bet each of the school does not fund every scholarship for every sport the concept applies. The other thing to consider is not only do schools like ULL & Ark State have fewer sports, the types of sports they fund require fewer scholarships, less travel and facility cost.

Kgfish wrote:You are including 5 home matches. A bit misleading.
NewApp wrote:Just including matches we didn't have to travel to. It is misleading to do otherwise.
Come on Cline. I know you like to stir the pot but that last statement was ridiculous. Clearly the OP from KgFish, which you issued a direct response to, was referencing TRAVEL (I've bolded the appropriate sections) and using an example between two non revenue sports.

In anything, from university athletics to business to someone doing their own personal budget at home, you don't include everything in the TRAVEL section. A school, when figuring out their travel budget, doesn't include HOME games. Businesses, when figuring out travel budgets, don't include meetings that occur in their offices. And I know personally if I'm having a party at home I don't include the expenses in my vacation travel budget.

Please. Good Grief. :oops: :roll:

moehler

Unread post by moehler » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:00 pm

35,000 students by the time you get to Boone, that would be impressive, but my question is, how many will actually on be attending on campus, and how many are Satellite, or internet and will never set foot on the campus, or attend a game? I know down here FAU claims to have an enrollment of over 30 thousand, but if you go on campus, its not much larger than Wingate collage, and they have admitted they have Satellite collages all over Florida, that they count towards their numbers. As far as UNCC, I don't have a clue, maybe you will 35 on campus, wow, that would be very impressive.I know here at App, most of the student population is traditional, with the majority of the 17 thousand plus attending school on campus. Back to the topic, we will see about how the tv contract goes, football rules tv contracts, and your commissioner made one hell of a gamble that all the new schools could get up to national respectability before talks begin, I don't think its possible, but we will see. One more thing, you mention ODU, well, things aren't great right now over there, they just kicked off the team their top receciver from last year, they have also lost their 2nd and I believe their third best receiver.They are pretty much down to freshman and walkons to carry the offense. No good for a team that has a horrible defense and relies on the offense has to put up 35 a game just to win, and is about to start playing a FBS schedule. But I do agree, ODU, because of their market, the tide water area, has the potential, I repeat the potential, to reach the national level of respectability before App, GS, or UNCC, and to me, they were a good, smart choice to make a member
Last edited by moehler on Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:07 pm

firemoose wrote:
NewApp wrote:
Kgfish wrote:While it is a good bet each of the school does not fund every scholarship for every sport the concept applies. The other thing to consider is not only do schools like ULL & Ark State have fewer sports, the types of sports they fund require fewer scholarships, less travel and facility cost.

NewApp wrote:Just including matches we didn't have to travel to. It is misleading to do otherwise.
Come on Cline. I know you like to stir the pot but that last statement was ridiculous. Clearly the OP from KgFish, which you issued a direct response to, was referencing TRAVEL (I've bolded the appropriate sections) and using an example between two non revenue sports.

In anything, from university athletics to business to someone doing their own personal budget at home, you don't include everything in the TRAVEL section. A school, when figuring out their travel budget, doesn't include HOME games. Businesses, when figuring out travel budgets, don't include meetings that occur in their offices. And I know personally if I'm having a party at home I don't include the expenses in my vacation travel budget.

Not trying to stir the pot, instead just taking up for a women's sports program. Using home matches just says that we don't always spend tons of money on travel for the Field Hockey program. Too, they do a lot for our overall APR.
Google SUX

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:32 pm

NewApp wrote:
firemoose wrote:
NewApp wrote:

Not trying to stir the pot, instead just taking up for a women's sports program. Using home matches just says that we don't always spend tons of money on travel for the Field Hockey program. Too, they do a lot for our overall APR.
I appreciate you taking up for a sport and I know they can help on the APR (not sure a LAX team wouldn't also) but, as I said, the context of the discussion was about budgets and pay at Belt schools and, more directly where FH is mentioned, travel and facilities. Since FH has been, is, and will remain in the NORPAC then the example is viable. Whether anyone likes it or not FH is in a conference that stretches across the country. Whether they travel to IN, OH, or CA and other places once every three years, two years, or every year they still have to take that into account, same as our football travel budget has to take into account our trips that will occur to Idaho (for now) and NMSU in addition to the rest of the Belt schools.

Nugget49
School: Charlotte

Unread post by Nugget49 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:39 pm

moehler wrote:35,000 students by the time you get to Boone, that would be impressive, but my question is, how many will actually on be attending on campus, and how many are Satellite, or internet and will never set foot on the campus, or attend a game? I know down here FAU claims to have an enrollment of over 30 thousand, but if you go on campus, its not much larger than Wingate collage, and they have admitted they have Satellite collages all over Florida, that they count towards their numbers. As far as UNCC, I don't have a clue, maybe you will 35 on campus, wow, that would be very impressive.I know here at App, most of the student population is traditional, with the majority of the 17 thousand plus attending school on campus. Back to the topic, we will see about how the tv contract goes, football rules tv contracts, and your commissioner made one hell of a gamble that all the new schools could get up to national respectability before talks begin, I don't think its possible, but we will see. One more thing, you mention ODU, well, things aren't great right now over there, they just kicked off the team their top receciver from last year, they have also lost their 2nd and I believe their third best receiver.They are pretty much down to freshman and walkons to carry the offense. No good for a team that has a horrible defense and relies on the offense has to put up 35 a game just to win, and is about to start playing a FBS schedule. But I do agree, ODU, because of their market, the tide water area, has the potential, I repeat the potential, to reach the national level of respectability before App, GS, or UNCC, and to me, they were a good, smart choice to make a member
Fair questions. I just got an email today and we are getting $87 million for a new dorm and renovations for others. We have 5383 on campus today and will move to 7000. There are about 10,000 more students around campus in apartments. The other 10k or so are a mix of true commuters and part-time students. Our only satellite campus is in uptown Charlotte. We have a 12 story building that does mostly graduate classes for people working in the center city. In 2017 the light rail extension will open between the two campuses. We have online classes, but like you are predominately traditional students.

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:56 pm

ASUGoose wrote:
Kgfish wrote:

I agree that we will likely cut a few sports at some point, but XCounty isn't very likely IMO for a few reasons. We are very competitive in both men's and women's, and there aren't a lot of costs associated with it. The only real costs are scholarships and travel as there are basically no equipment costs.
When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:58 pm

firemoose wrote:
NewApp wrote:

But it is also a bit misleading to suggest because the conference includes west coast teams, that FH travels all over the country. Most of their contests will be closer to Boone than the teams that play an SBC schedule.

As to Doug's point, I don't believe any NC public schools sponsor FH. I was referencing the fact that it is not primarily a private school sport where it is played like in parts of Virginia.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Sun Belt Discussion”