Louisiana 50,000 Seats for Football within 3 years

Discussion about anything related to the Sun Belt Conference
asu66
School: Appalachian State

Re: Louisiana 50,000 Seats for Football within 3 years

Unread post by asu66 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:19 pm

moehler wrote:35,000 students by the time you get to Boone, that would be impressive, but my question is, how many will actually on be attending on campus, and how many are Satellite, or internet and will never set foot on the campus, or attend a game? I know down here FAU claims to have an enrollment of over 30 thousand, but if you go on campus, its not much larger than Wingate collage, and they have admitted they have Satellite collages all over Florida, that they count towards their numbers. As far as UNCC, I don't have a clue, maybe you will 35 on campus, wow, that would be very impressive.I know here at App, most of the student population is traditional, with the majority of the 17 thousand plus attending school on campus. Back to the topic, we will see about how the tv contract goes, football rules tv contracts, and your commissioner made one hell of a gamble that all the new schools could get up to national respectability before talks begin, I don't think its possible, but we will see. One more thing, you mention ODU, well, things aren't great right now over there, they just kicked off the team their top receciver from last year, they have also lost their 2nd and I believe their third best receiver.They are pretty much down to freshman and walkons to carry the offense. No good for a team that has a horrible defense and relies on the offense has to put up 35 a game just to win, and is about to start playing a FBS schedule. But I do agree, ODU, because of their market, the tide water area, has the potential, I repeat the potential, to reach the national level of respectability before App, GS, or UNCC, and to me, they were a good, smart choice to make a member
According to appstate.edu, ASU houses some 5,500 students in 20 on-campus dorms. And remember that Winkler was taken down in under a minute a few weeks ago. I remember reading an estimate somewhere that 90% of our undergrad students live within a five-eight mile radius of campus.

http://www.appstate.edu/about/
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:31 pm

Nugget49 wrote:
moehler wrote:a lot is going to depend on that next tv deal for USA, at this moment there is no doubt, from top to bottom the SBC is a stronger football conference than USA, and ultimately, that's where the money is made. In 2 years if USA doesn't get the TV deal they desire or, which I predict, the deal will be less than the present one, cant imagine anyone from the SBC is going to be willing to move. Personally, I think USA screwed up passing on LLU to take such schools as FAU, FIU, or ODU, UNCC. I know the reason they were chosen, TV markets, but LLU is winning bowls games, and really putting a lot of time, effort and money into their athletic dept, they look like a force to be dealt with on the national level in the future. This is exactly the kind of athletic program you need to try and convience TV executives to give USA a better tv contract. No offense, but if you guys are going to make your pitch in 2 years, based on the production of UNCC, ODU, FIU, FAU, its going to be a tough sale.
No offense taken. I see your point but disagree that the future C-USA TV contract will be smaller than the current one if for no other reason than Fox Sports 1 has come online and they too need to fill the day with content. I am not saying C-USA is going to be football gold, but ESPN and Fox Sports (and others) will be splitting up what is available and we are going to be on the table at a good time.

FIU and FAU are head-scratchers. I think we all know that the Florida market is why C-USA wanted them, and that Boca to Miami TV market is huge should they get it together. ODU is a gem. They have been a tremendously successful start-up and have sold out (20,000+) every game since 2009. They have 4500 people on their waiting list and are going to start building a bigger stadium soon. The Tidewater area is strong recruiting ground.

Charlotte doesn't bring anything other than potential to the football equation. Some on this board would have you believe that we are just a community college using hand-me-down uniforms from Butler High School. Well let me tell you, our uniforms are new!

Seriously, if you have not been to Charlotte's campus in a decade and are close by ride through some time. I don't expect you to fall in love and join us, but I think it will surprise you. Here is a fun fact: in the last 5 years the UNC System enrollment has grown by 6800 students. 48% of them are at Charlotte. We will be at 35,000 students by the time we come play in Boone.
CBS CS is already dropping CUSA games in favor of AAC games so why do you think FS1 will pay more than CBS to air the same content? Also, FS1 just signed agreements with the Big 12 and PAC 12 so their air time is filling up. Not being negative just don't see where the demand is.
When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

moehler

Unread post by moehler » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:55 pm

getting off the topic here, but Im curious, does anyone know if or when App was going to set up a Satallite campus in Hickory? I know, 3 or 4 years ago, it was being talked about by Peacock, but I never heard anything else about it.

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:48 pm

hapapp wrote:
firemoose wrote:
NewApp wrote:
Kgfish wrote:While it is a good bet each of the school does not fund every scholarship for every sport the concept applies. The other thing to consider is not only do schools like ULL & Ark State have fewer sports, the types of sports they fund require fewer scholarships, less travel and facility cost.

Prime example. App sponsors Field Hockey, which I'm betting is fully funded. Twelve grants, a lot of equipment, large facility and cost of playing in a league that stretches across America. Ark State counters with Bowling. Requiring 5 grants. Minimal cost of equipment and no cost in facility investment.

IMO, App will have to streamline its number of sports somewhere down the line.
In 2013-14, The Field Hockey team had 12 matches in NC and Virginia.
Kgfish wrote:You are including 5 home matches. A bit misleading.
NewApp wrote:Just including matches we didn't have to travel to. It is misleading to do otherwise.
Come on Cline. I know you like to stir the pot but that last statement was ridiculous. Clearly the OP from KgFish, which you issued a direct response to, was referencing TRAVEL (I've bolded the appropriate sections) and using an example between two non revenue sports.

In anything, from university athletics to business to someone doing their own personal budget at home, you don't include everything in the TRAVEL section. A school, when figuring out their travel budget, doesn't include HOME games. Businesses, when figuring out travel budgets, don't include meetings that occur in their offices. And I know personally if I'm having a party at home I don't include the expenses in my vacation travel budget.

Please. Good Grief. :oops: :roll:
But it is also a bit misleading to suggest because the conference includes west coast teams, that FH travels all over the country. Most of their contests will be closer to Boone than the teams that play an SBC schedule.

As to Doug's point, I don't believe any NC public schools sponsor FH. I was referencing the fact that it is not primarily a private school sport where it is played like in parts of Virginia.
I typed up a different reply but deleted it because it's just not worth it anymore. In my second post I said the same thing about "most of their contests" (although there are still the occasional cross division, thus cross country, trips included with trips to OH and IN). I pointed out that Idaho and NMSU are in the same catagory except for the next paragraph below. I also thanked JC for standing up for a sport even though the post was not in the context of the discussion.

Everyone knows our travel budget is going to increase greatly for all of our sports in the Belt but we are also getting money from conference and TV revenue share agreements to help offset some of the costs (how much? we'll see, hopefully not for long though once the P5 make the next move). The NORPAC offers none of that for even a bus trip to Lynchburg. Is what FH brings to the school worth offsetting the costs? Just like every sport that's for the university to decide and for each person to form an opinion. My post and the rest was simply about context.

I've said I'm not posting anymore outside of recruiting but then I let myself get sucked back in. Time to end all of it. I apologize to JC for jumping on him for supporting FH. I didn't know it was the point of his posts until he replied to me. As for the rest, everybody have fun. Moving time.... 8-)

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:28 pm

moehler wrote:getting off the topic here, but Im curious, does anyone know if or when App was going to set up a Satallite campus in Hickory? I know, 3 or 4 years ago, it was being talked about by Peacock, but I never heard anything else about it.
If I'm not mistaken, we had a joint program with Western Carolina in Hickory involving pre-engineering or something similar. It seems like it was in the early 2000's.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

Nugget49
School: Charlotte

Unread post by Nugget49 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:04 pm

JTApps1 wrote:
Nugget49 wrote:
moehler wrote:a lot is going to depend on that next tv deal for USA, at this moment there is no doubt, from top to bottom the SBC is a stronger football conference than USA, and ultimately, that's where the money is made. In 2 years if USA doesn't get the TV deal they desire or, which I predict, the deal will be less than the present one, cant imagine anyone from the SBC is going to be willing to move. Personally, I think USA screwed up passing on LLU to take such schools as FAU, FIU, or ODU, UNCC. I know the reason they were chosen, TV markets, but LLU is winning bowls games, and really putting a lot of time, effort and money into their athletic dept, they look like a force to be dealt with on the national level in the future. This is exactly the kind of athletic program you need to try and convience TV executives to give USA a better tv contract. No offense, but if you guys are going to make your pitch in 2 years, based on the production of UNCC, ODU, FIU, FAU, its going to be a tough sale.
No offense taken. I see your point but disagree that the future C-USA TV contract will be smaller than the current one if for no other reason than Fox Sports 1 has come online and they too need to fill the day with content. I am not saying C-USA is going to be football gold, but ESPN and Fox Sports (and others) will be splitting up what is available and we are going to be on the table at a good time.

FIU and FAU are head-scratchers. I think we all know that the Florida market is why C-USA wanted them, and that Boca to Miami TV market is huge should they get it together. ODU is a gem. They have been a tremendously successful start-up and have sold out (20,000+) every game since 2009. They have 4500 people on their waiting list and are going to start building a bigger stadium soon. The Tidewater area is strong recruiting ground.

Charlotte doesn't bring anything other than potential to the football equation. Some on this board would have you believe that we are just a community college using hand-me-down uniforms from Butler High School. Well let me tell you, our uniforms are new!

Seriously, if you have not been to Charlotte's campus in a decade and are close by ride through some time. I don't expect you to fall in love and join us, but I think it will surprise you. Here is a fun fact: in the last 5 years the UNC System enrollment has grown by 6800 students. 48% of them are at Charlotte. We will be at 35,000 students by the time we come play in Boone.
CBS CS is already dropping CUSA games in favor of AAC games so why do you think FS1 will pay more than CBS to air the same content? Also, FS1 just signed agreements with the Big 12 and PAC 12 so their air time is filling up. Not being negative just don't see where the demand is.
I don't think I was very clear. I am not saying that FS1 will show C-USA games, I am saying they have come into the market and need a lot programming so they will begin bidding against all the other networks for it. FS1 will spend enough to get their share which comes from somebody else. Then that network will need to replace what they lost. Somebody is going to end up showing the Big South Game of the Week, so to avoid that they will all bid for better games. My theory is that C-USA will benefit from growing demand in a market where supply is inelastic. In the long run a marginal network may just close up shop and demand will fall, but for now I like our timing.

APPARJ

Unread post by APPARJ » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:41 pm

moehler wrote:getting off the topic here, but Im curious, does anyone know if or when App was going to set up a Satallite campus in Hickory? I know, 3 or 4 years ago, it was being talked about by Peacock, but I never heard anything else about it.
There has been a program in place for a while now in Hickory. I know several people who have graduated from taking classes exclusively from the Hickory campus.

It is an App State campus with ZERO affiliation with Western Carolina despite what NewApp/Cline is implying.
Image ImageImage
ImageImage

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:43 pm

APPARJ wrote:
There has been a program in place for a while now in Hickory. I know several people who have graduated from taking classes exclusively from the Hickory campus.

It is an App State campus with ZERO affiliation with Western Carolina despite what NewApp/Cline is implying.
He'd love that, though.
Give 'em hell!

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:08 pm

firemoose wrote:
hapapp wrote:
firemoose wrote:
NewApp wrote:
Kgfish wrote:While it is a good bet each of the school does not fund every scholarship for every sport the concept applies. The other thing to consider is not only do schools like ULL & Ark State have fewer sports, the types of sports they fund require fewer scholarships, less travel and facility cost.

Prime example. App sponsors Field Hockey, which I'm betting is fully funded. Twelve grants, a lot of equipment, large facility and cost of playing in a league that stretches across America. Ark State counters with Bowling. Requiring 5 grants. Minimal cost of equipment and no cost in facility investment.

IMO, App will have to streamline its number of sports somewhere down the line.
In 2013-14, The Field Hockey team had 12 matches in NC and Virginia.
Kgfish wrote:You are including 5 home matches. A bit misleading.
NewApp wrote:Just including matches we didn't have to travel to. It is misleading to do otherwise.
Come on Cline. I know you like to stir the pot but that last statement was ridiculous. Clearly the OP from KgFish, which you issued a direct response to, was referencing TRAVEL (I've bolded the appropriate sections) and using an example between two non revenue sports.

In anything, from university athletics to business to someone doing their own personal budget at home, you don't include everything in the TRAVEL section. A school, when figuring out their travel budget, doesn't include HOME games. Businesses, when figuring out travel budgets, don't include meetings that occur in their offices. And I know personally if I'm having a party at home I don't include the expenses in my vacation travel budget.

Please. Good Grief. :oops: :roll:
But it is also a bit misleading to suggest because the conference includes west coast teams, that FH travels all over the country. Most of their contests will be closer to Boone than the teams that play an SBC schedule.

As to Doug's point, I don't believe any NC public schools sponsor FH. I was referencing the fact that it is not primarily a private school sport where it is played like in parts of Virginia.
I typed up a different reply but deleted it because it's just not worth it anymore. In my second post I said the same thing about "most of their contests" (although there are still the occasional cross division, thus cross country, trips included with trips to OH and IN). I pointed out that Idaho and NMSU are in the same catagory except for the next paragraph below. I also thanked JC for standing up for a sport even though the post was not in the context of the discussion.

Everyone knows our travel budget is going to increase greatly for all of our sports in the Belt but we are also getting money from conference and TV revenue share agreements to help offset some of the costs (how much? we'll see, hopefully not for long though once the P5 make the next move). The NORPAC offers none of that for even a bus trip to Lynchburg. Is what FH brings to the school worth offsetting the costs? Just like every sport that's for the university to decide and for each person to form an opinion. My post and the rest was simply about context.

I've said I'm not posting anymore outside of recruiting but then I let myself get sucked back in. Time to end all of it. I apologize to JC for jumping on him for supporting FH. I didn't know it was the point of his posts until he replied to me. As for the rest, everybody have fun. Moving time.... 8-)
My wife played FH at VCU so I have some obligation to speak for the sport. ;) I understand the arguments against maintaining the sport at App State. I'm not really arguing that FH should stay just was trying to clarify a few points. I certainly wasn't going after you because I'm not sure our views are that different on the topic.

ASUPATCH

Unread post by ASUPATCH » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:23 pm

Im still waiting on IG to interject that the field hockey issue is all Cobbs fault somehow. Or AppGrad to tell us we should field a joint FH team with UNC. Once one or both of those happens.....this thread is complete.
Appalachian State, Better than your school since 1899!!!!

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:35 pm

APPARJ wrote:

Here it is. I had to provide the info for BeauFoster, too since he made a snarky remark:

Appalachian Center at Hickory (formerly Hickory Metro Higher Education Center) is a distance-education center operated by Appalachian State University. It is part of the Appalachian State University Greater Hickory Partnership, which also includes centers in Morganton, NC and Lenoir, NC.

The Hickory Metro Higher Education Center was a collaborative partnership of colleges and universities in western North Carolina. the organization's mission was to support and enhance the educational attainment and economic development of the region by offering a broad range of programming in targeted areas of study for students of all ages through off-campus programs in Hickory, NC.

HMHEC was established in 2003 as a partnership between Appalachian State University, Catawba Valley Community College, and Lenoir-Rhyne College in collaboration with the City of Hickory and Catawba County. Since its establishment, additional colleges and universities in western North Carolina joined the partnership: UNC Chapel Hill; UNC Charlotte; Western Carolina University; Northwest AHEC; and Winston-Salem State University. In 2009, HMHEC was disbanded and the site was purchased by Appalachian State for a distance education center.
Last edited by NewApp on Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Google SUX

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:47 pm

BeauFoster wrote:
APPARJ wrote:

He'd love that, though.
Here it is:
Appalachian Center at Hickory (formerly Hickory Metro Higher Education Center) is a distance-education center operated by Appalachian State University. It is part of the Appalachian State University Greater Hickory Partnership, which also includes centers in Morganton, NC and Lenoir, NC.

The Hickory Metro Higher Education Center was a collaborative partnership of colleges and universities in western North Carolina. the organization's mission was to support and enhance the educational attainment and economic development of the region by offering a broad range of programming in targeted areas of study for students of all ages through off-campus programs in Hickory, NC.

HMHEC was established in 2003 as a partnership between Appalachian State University, Catawba Valley Community College, and Lenoir-Rhyne College in collaboration with the City of Hickory and Catawba County. Since its establishment, additional colleges and universities in western North Carolina joined the partnership: UNC Chapel Hill; UNC Charlotte; Western Carolina University; Northwest AHEC; and Winston-Salem State University. In 2009, HMHEC was disbanded and the site was purchased by Appalachian State for a distance education center.
Google SUX

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:08 am

Five home games out of 20. We play six home games in football with only a 12 game schedule.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:55 am

hapapp wrote:My wife played FH at VCU so I have some obligation to speak for the sport. ;) I understand the arguments against maintaining the sport at App State. I'm not really arguing that FH should stay just was trying to clarify a few points. I certainly wasn't going after you because I'm not sure our views are that different on the topic.
They aren't. Check you PM when you get a chance.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:05 am

Got to get rid of the track
Got to lower the field
Got to tear down one side of the facility
Got to get a bigger scoreboard
Got to add more seats
Got to raise coaches salaries
Got to increase the travel budgets
Got to have new uniforms for most every football game
Got to hire someone to raise a crap load of money

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:57 am

bcoach wrote:Got to get rid of the track
Got to lower the field
Got to tear down one side of the facility
Got to get a bigger scoreboard
Got to add more seats
Got to raise coaches salaries
Got to increase the travel budgets
Got to have new uniforms for most every football game
Got to hire someone to raise a crap load of money
;)
Google SUX

Appsolutley

Unread post by Appsolutley » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:02 am

"Got to hire someone to raise a crap load of money"

...which is the most glaring weakness of the current athletic administration.

Nugget49
School: Charlotte

Unread post by Nugget49 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:24 am

NewApp wrote:
APPARJ wrote:

Here it is. I had to provide the info for BeauFoster, too since he made a snarky remark:

In what world is Chapel Hill in Western NC? Nobody can have anything in this state unless they get a piece of it. Burns me up.

moehler

Unread post by moehler » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:35 am

49, that we can agree, pisses me off that App, UNCC, Western, probably even ECU, can get shit done on their own campuses without 1. getting permission from UNC, and 2. if UNC gives us their blessings, they expect to somehow make a profit , never ends with these guys.

PBR1893-BEER-HAT-GUY

Unread post by PBR1893-BEER-HAT-GUY » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:22 am

Yosef10 wrote:
EastHallApp wrote:People here worry so much about how many seats our stadium holds, but did you happen to see the post earlier today that said ULL's coach makes more than 4x what SS makes? IMO, that disparity is a much bigger issue for App than the one in seating capacity.
Well that would be because SS got the contract while in SC not FBS, not to mention SS was a first time head coach, and Hudspeth has a conference championship on his resume. If SS performs he will get a comparable contract

if he performs that way and wins the conference, he might get a salary increase but at another school...because he will go bye-bye!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Sun Belt Discussion”