Tulane to Big East, spot open in C-USA

Discussion about anything related to the Sun Belt Conference
appst89
Site Admin
School: Appalachian State

Re: Tulane to Big East, spot open in C-USA

Unread post by appst89 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:35 pm

appst890 wrote:Kudos to thoseformer CUSA now Big East schools that figured out a way to jump off that sinking ship and move to a BCS conference thusly bringing in a ton of revenues to their schools!
Just for clarification, the Big East is not included in the top tier of the new BC$ playoff arrangement. It is the $EC, Big 12(10), Big 10(14), Pac-12 and ACC. The Big East has been relegated to the tier with C-USA, MAC, MWC, and SBC.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:45 pm

Gonzo wrote:
AppGrad78 wrote:
bcoach wrote:Would anyone like to expound on the advantages of one vs. the other?
I'll give it shot:

Conference USA = just enough television revenue to make our jump from FCS to FBS financially feasible.

Sun Belt ... not enough revenue
MAC ... not enough revenue
WAC ... not enough revenue
Mountain West ... not enough revenue

All the other factors are merely ancillary. There's a reason a school like Middle Tennessee would jump from a recently superior conference to a recently inferior one. It's called money. Some of us are over thinking the process here. It's all about money.
There you have it folks.

According to the feasibility committee's results, you're correct.
If that is the case how could they recomend a move? Am I missing something?

ASU-FTW

Unread post by ASU-FTW » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:46 pm

You know what's funny? We have a playoff game in three days, yet this is getting more attention than any game we have played/will play all season.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:52 pm

ASU-FTW wrote:You know what's funny? We have a playoff game in three days, yet this is getting more attention than any game we have played/will play all season.
Not surprising to me. This fan base has had FBS blue balls for two years now.

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:56 pm

If FAU follows MTSU we have a golden opporitunity to move in tandem with GSU and JMU to the Sun Belt. Taking FAU out of the equation would help to lower travel costs a good bit which was the main concern for going to the Sun Belt. I can live with a division of WKU, Troy, G. State, GSU, JMU since we have a history with all but G. State.

Eastern: WKU, Troy, G. State, GSU, JMU, and App
Western: UL-Monroe, UL- Lafayette, Ark. State, S. Bama, N. Texas, and Texas St.
When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:46 pm

Gonzo wrote:
ASU-FTW wrote:You know what's funny? We have a playoff game in three days, yet this is getting more attention than any game we have played/will play all season.

And this fanbase is still made up of App fans. Comments like this are divisive and not necessary. We've been talking about our playoff game for over 2 weeks now since we've not played for that long. This is news and deserves attention but not so much negativity. This news is also getting covereage from the major sports networks. How much coverage have our playoffs gotten? It's time for us to move whether it's CUSA, SunBelt or MAC. It doesn't make a bit of difference which one, they are all better than where we are now.

Now let's beat the Redbirds and go and win the whole darn thing while we're still here. GOAPPSGO!!!!!!!!
WE ARE YOSEF!

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:51 pm

goapps93 wrote:
Gonzo wrote:

And this fanbase is still made up of App fans. Comments like this are divisive and not necessary. We've been talking about our playoff game for over 2 weeks now since we've not played for that long. This is news and deserves attention but not so much negativity. This news is also getting covereage from the major sports networks. How much coverage have our playoffs gotten? It's time for us to move whether it's CUSA, SunBelt or MAC. It doesn't make a bit of difference which one, they are all better than where we are now.

Now let's beat the Redbirds and go and win the whole darn thing while we're still here. GOAPPSGO!!!!!!!!
I am not so sure about that. It seems that the only one that has or now maybe had the revenue stream was CUSA.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:14 pm

"At this point I'm not sure about Cobb. In the past I would have said yes, but he has applied for every job opening in the Southeast the past few years so I wonder how dedicated he is to ASU at this point. I could be completely off base, but it raises some doubt in my mind."

you could be right but wouldn't that be counter-productive for his career? - wouldn't he want the "credit" for not only taking APP to the top of FCS but also for leading the University to the next level? ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:13 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:"At this point I'm not sure about Cobb. In the past I would have said yes, but he has applied for every job opening in the Southeast the past few years so I wonder how dedicated he is to ASU at this point. I could be completely off base, but it raises some doubt in my mind."

you could be right but wouldn't that be counter-productive for his career? - wouldn't he want the "credit" for not only taking APP to the top of FCS but also for leading the University to the next level? ---
You are absolutly right. As the 3 championships and stadium expansion are starting to wear off it would be fantastic for his resume. I think he is probably working to get something done.

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:41 am

WVAPPeer wrote:"At this point I'm not sure about Cobb. In the past I would have said yes, but he has applied for every job opening in the Southeast the past few years so I wonder how dedicated he is to ASU at this point. I could be completely off base, but it raises some doubt in my mind."

That could be entirely true as well which is why I said it raises some doubt. It could be a resume builder or he could just want out. I'm hoping the former...
When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Sun Belt Discussion”