Has App St Turned Down the Sun Belt?

Discussion about anything related to the Sun Belt Conference
Saint3333

Re: Has App St Turned Down the Sun Belt?

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:45 pm

As they should.

JCline0429

Unread post by JCline0429 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:36 pm

WataugaMan wrote:"I hope he chooses to retire before we go FBS." Agreed

"Many fans on this board don't want him when we put back to back 8 win seasons in FCS and drawing close to 30K."

Many fans on this board believe that due to that continued success it's time for the move.

"They would really raise holy heck if we put together two .500 seasons in FBS...which is entirely possible the first 2 or 3 years in FBS and drew less than 25K Like 7 teams in the Sun Belt. Am I wrong?"

Yes, most fans know that there will be growing pains. Also, teams like Troy, Western Kentucky etc. will draw at least the same or more than west carolina, and elon etc. It's just a fact that some would be satisfied to have Lenior Rhyne on the schedule as opposed to Wake Forest, just a matter of opinion I guess.

"As to having faith or confidence in JM...do you?"

I believe you already know the answer to that question.

"We would have a hard time recruiting a quality coach when we transition to FBS at what we can pay."

We already have a quality coach on staff with successful FBS experiene named SS.

Do you think he will stay long. If he loses he will get canned like WCU does every 3 years and if he wins big, he leave for better opportunity and money like he did before. We'll have a hard time finding and keeping a coach who would stay 24 years...a quarter of a century and turn in one close losing season.
a.k.a JC0429

JCline0429

Unread post by JCline0429 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:43 pm

ASUPATCH wrote:
ASUPATCH wrote:[quote="JCline0429I hope he chooses to retire before we go FBS. Many fans on this board don't want him when we put back to back 8 win seasons in FCS and drawing close to 30K. They would really raise holy heck if we put together two .500 seasons in FBS...which is entirely possible the first 2 or 3 years in FBS and drew less than 25K Like 7 teams in the Sun Belt. Am I wrong? :?:
And BTW are those Sun Belt teams our peers and like minded. I suspect they aren't academically when it come to whom they recruit.
As to having faith or confidence in JM...do you? I want him to go out on top in FCS before we make the transition. That's what he deserves and he's about all we can afford. We would have a hard time recruiting a quality coach when we transition to FBS at what we can pay. We would still be relegated to playing top FBS teams on the road. :?:

Out of the entire post the one point you made that carries any weight is the academics. It is not a conference that I think we are a good academic fit with. But after all the Sunbelt is the stepping stone confernce isnt it? You put down roots make a name and move on to USA or MAC or Big East.
[/quote]

WCU and Elon aren't FBS. We're supposed to be moving up. At least they travel well to us. How many fans from Louisiana-Lafeyette will come to Boone? We'll be counting on solely App fans and alumni to fill up KBS. We probably will, but it will take more than we draw now to halfway finsnce the higher costs of travel and staff salaries.

Just remember when it comes to points that carry any weight with you...it's your OPINION that decides for YOU what is valid and carries any weight.
Last edited by JCline0429 on Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
a.k.a JC0429

vegattk

Unread post by vegattk » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:43 pm

JCline0429 wrote:
WataugaMan wrote:"I hope he chooses to retire before we go FBS." Agreed

"Many fans on this board don't want him when we put back to back 8 win seasons in FCS and drawing close to 30K."

Many fans on this board believe that due to that continued success it's time for the move.

"They would really raise holy heck if we put together two .500 seasons in FBS...which is entirely possible the first 2 or 3 years in FBS and drew less than 25K Like 7 teams in the Sun Belt. Am I wrong?"

Yes, most fans know that there will be growing pains. Also, teams like Troy, Western Kentucky etc. will draw at least the same or more than west carolina, and elon etc. It's just a fact that some would be satisfied to have Lenior Rhyne on the schedule as opposed to Wake Forest, just a matter of opinion I guess.

"As to having faith or confidence in JM...do you?"

I believe you already know the answer to that question.

"We would have a hard time recruiting a quality coach when we transition to FBS at what we can pay."

We already have a quality coach on staff with successful FBS experiene named SS.

Do you think he will stay long. If he loses he will get canned like WCU does every 3 years and if he wins big, he leave for better opportunity and money like he did before. We'll have a hard time finding and keeping a coach who would stay 24 years...a quarter of a century and turn in one close losing season.
And welcome to the coaching carousel... UGH>.. :roll:
One game does not a postseason make.
More App Games > Less App Games

JCline0429

Unread post by JCline0429 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:45 pm

ASUPATCH wrote:For a point of refrence only 2 count them 2 SoCon schools bettered 13k in attendnce. Not sure why this 25k attnedence in the sunbelt is so bad when every team in the Socon outside of ASU and GSU fails to reach half of that. Remove our games from thier home slates and I would say that number dips another 5-10%.\http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/2010/Internet/ ... NDANCE.pdf

But we're supposed to be financing and moving up to a conference whose members show MORE fan interest Do they?.
a.k.a JC0429

JCline0429

Unread post by JCline0429 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:46 pm

Rep point, Veg.
a.k.a JC0429

GoApps70
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by GoApps70 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:49 pm

Scott Satterfield is true Gold and Black.
Yeah, he might leave to take over Notre Dame....or he might just build it here, a place I believe he truly loves, like we do.
==========================================================================
Give 'em Hell Apps !.....Sun Belt future champs !........Enlarge Kidd Brewer ASAP!

GoApps70

Unread post by GoApps70 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:55 pm

JCline0429 wrote:
ASUPATCH wrote:For a point of refrence only 2 count them 2 SoCon schools bettered 13k in attendnce. Not sure why this 25k attnedence in the sunbelt is so bad when every team in the Socon outside of ASU and GSU fails to reach half of that. Remove our games from thier home slates and I would say that number dips another 5-10%.\http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/2010/Internet/ ... NDANCE.pdf

But we're supposed to be financing and moving up to a conference whose members show MORE fan interest Do they?.
A heck of a lot more attendance than the SoCon shows.

Final Home Attendance Avg.

1. Arkansas State...26,398

2. Louisiana...22,865

3. TROY...20,952

4. ULM...19,359*

5. North Texas...18,927

6. MTSU...17,738

7. WKU...17,414

8. USA...16,793

9. FIU...13,634

10. FAU...13,459

Of course the last two are leaving for CUSA (#9 FIU and #10 FAU). So are number five and six. Texas State and GaState is not included, they are just going into the SB. ULM attendance was close to 27,000 but this list did not use a home game played at another site in it's compilations.
Last edited by GoApps70 on Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Give 'em Hell Apps !.....Sun Belt future champs !........Enlarge Kidd Brewer ASAP!

JCline0429

Unread post by JCline0429 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:57 pm

GoApps70 wrote:
JCline0429 wrote:

2. Louisiana...22,865

3. TROY...20,952

4. ULM...19,359*

5. North Texas...18,927

6. MTSU...17,738

7. WKU...17,414

8. USA...16,793

9. FIU...13,634

10. FAU...13,459

Of course the last two are leaving for CUSA (#9 FIU and #10 FAU). So are number five and six. Texas State and GaState is not included, they are just going into the SB.
Consider they are supposed to be varsity football and us JV, their attendance sucks. If it's a move up, it is pretty puny a step.
a.k.a JC0429

GoApps70

Unread post by GoApps70 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:02 pm

JCline - you and a couple of your friends would knock the SEC's attendance if we were going there. You know it, and I know it (plus anyone reading the MMB the last several years.) Will be so glad when we move to FBS so you will not complain so much .....ow wait, guess your group will complain about everything anyway. A way of life maybe?

JCline0429

Unread post by JCline0429 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:03 pm

GoApps70 wrote:
JCline0429 wrote:

2. Louisiana...22,865

3. TROY...20,952

4. ULM...19,359*

5. North Texas...18,927

6. MTSU...17,738

7. WKU...17,414

8. USA...16,793

9. FIU...13,634

10. FAU...13,459

Of course the last two are leaving for CUSA (#9 FIU and #10 FAU). So are number five and six. Texas State and GaState is not included, they are just going into the SB. ULM attendance was close to 27,000 but this list did not use a home game played at another site in it's compilations.

PS, and not a one of those so called FBS teams are drawing what we draw in JV football (as some like to call it.
a.k.a JC0429

GoApps70

Unread post by GoApps70 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:12 pm

And ALL of them drew more (except the last two leaving) than we did in our wonderful FCS playoff HOME game at KBS yesterday. So what. Doesn't matter what anyone says, you will either argue about it, deny it, or ignore it. Reason doesn't have a way of working into your perception of things. You tend to ignore, deny or just argue with that also.

What is the biggest fear?

Most people would agree that the fear of the unknown is their biggest fear.
What would we be afraid of? We could always move back to FCS and the SoCon.
Bet they would let us in, don't you?

JCline0429

Unread post by JCline0429 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:54 pm

GoApps70 wrote:And ALL of them drew more (except the last two leaving) than we did in our wonderful FCS playoff HOME game at KBS yesterday. So what. Doesn't matter what anyone says, you will either argue about it, deny it, or ignore it. Reason doesn't have a way of working into your perception of things. You tend to ignore, deny or just argue with that also.

The play-offs are a far different ball game. The regular season is what college football is all about. Did you witness the cahmpionship games in Chattannoga. There were thousands of people who wanted tickets to the last one and couldn't get them. Besides, I think we drew more yesterday than 2 or 3 had as a reguklar seaon average. I bet you we drew more yesterday than many of the Sun Belt members drew at some of their home games. I would crap a brick if we onlay drew in a ny single game what some of those big time schools averaged.
a.k.a JC0429

JCline0429

Unread post by JCline0429 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:01 am

GoApps70 wrote:And ALL of them drew more (except the last two leaving) than we did in our wonderful FCS playoff HOME game at KBS yesterday. So what. Doesn't matter what anyone says, you will either argue about it, deny it, or ignore it. Reason doesn't have a way of working into your perception of things. You tend to ignore, deny or just argue with that also.

Geez, your opinion is so much more valid than mine. Just because you don't agree with me, doesn't make you the almighty know it all. I've given you much factualreasoning and several have agreed with it. We're all stupid but you. :?
a.k.a JC0429

JCline0429

Unread post by JCline0429 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:02 am

GoApps70 wrote:JCline - you and a couple of your friends would knock the SEC's attendance if we were going there. You know it, and I know it (plus anyone reading the MMB the last several years.) Will be so glad when we move to FBS so you will not complain so much .....ow wait, guess your group will complain about everything anyway. A way of life maybe?
BS. I would love to see us draw one game what even the lowest SEC team draws at home for any regular seaon game. You don't pay attention.
a.k.a JC0429

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:06 am

JCline0429 wrote:
GoApps70 wrote:JCline - you and a couple of your friends would knock the SEC's attendance if we were going there. You know it, and I know it (plus anyone reading the MMB the last several years.) Will be so glad when we move to FBS so you will not complain so much .....ow wait, guess your group will complain about everything anyway. A way of life maybe?
BS. I would love to see us draw one game what even the lowest SEC team draws at home for any regular seaon game. You don't pay attention.
I wouldn't. :shock:

http://www.kentucky.com/2012/11/26/2421 ... mbers.html
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

JCline0429

Unread post by JCline0429 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:22 am

AppinVA wrote:
JCline0429 wrote:
I wouldn't. :shock:

http://www.kentucky.com/2012/11/26/2421 ... mbers.html
Then that makes what's his name's point about me valid because after reading your example, I WOULD gripe if our best game was equal to any certain SEC member's draw. I changed my mind. Now I can't see why he necessarily chose the SEC as an example.. Suppose he meant the average SEC member. 8-)
a.k.a JC0429

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Sun Belt Discussion”