Georgia State Upgrades to Turner Field

Discussion about anything related to the Sun Belt Conference
User avatar
hotrod2001
Posts: 525
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:26 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 144 times
Been thanked: 102 times

Georgia State Upgrades to Turner Field

Unread post by hotrod2001 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:14 am

You gotta give Charlie Cobb and GSU some credit, they really did an impressive job of putting Turner Field...er, I mean Parker Petit Field at Georgia State Stadium back to use after the Braves headed north. I'm not sure how much they can fill it up (gut says somewhere around what UNCC does with Richardson Stadium) but having their own digs should help that program out a lot I'd think.

Image
Image
Image



GOAPPS37
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:58 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 26 times

Re: Georgia State Upgrades to Turner Field

Unread post by GOAPPS37 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:37 pm

I am sorry but every time I see the word "Cobb" in any post, I shake my head thinking that he used ASU as a stepping stone to leave. But losing Cobb allowed our university to gain IMO the very best AD we have ever had. The numerous accomplishments Doug Gillin and his staff have achieved in such a short period of time has been incredible! But what really impresses me about DG is the personality he brings which Cobb never had. It is not unusual for DG to stop by your tailgate to shake hands and thank everyone for attending. His visit takes 30 seconds but means the world to us ASU followers. I never once saw Cobb at our tailgate. Public speaking is another talent DG scores heavily over Cobb. Cobb brought no energy, no enthusiasm once he stepped to the podium. That is definitely not the case when DG speaks to a large gathering. I will never forget the last Yosef Spring Tour that Cobb attended. It was at the Rock Barn Country Club and he never spoke to us. He had Rick Beasley emcee the event. Nothing against Rick, but that was pitiful for the AD not to at least say "Thank You for coming out and supporting ASU Athletics". Great looking stadium, but I wouldn't give Cobb too much credit. One person's opinion



User avatar
hotrod2001
Posts: 525
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:26 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 144 times
Been thanked: 102 times

Re: Georgia State Upgrades to Turner Field

Unread post by hotrod2001 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:08 pm

GOAPPS37 wrote:I am sorry but every time I see the word "Cobb" in any post, I shake my head thinking that he used ASU as a stepping stone to leave. But losing Cobb allowed our university to gain IMO the very best AD we have ever had. The numerous accomplishments Doug Gillin and his staff have achieved in such a short period of time has been incredible! But what really impresses me about DG is the personality he brings which Cobb never had. It is not unusual for DG to stop by your tailgate to shake hands and thank everyone for attending. His visit takes 30 seconds but means the world to us ASU followers. I never once saw Cobb at our tailgate. Public speaking is another talent DG scores heavily over Cobb. Cobb brought no energy, no enthusiasm once he stepped to the podium. That is definitely not the case when DG speaks to a large gathering. I will never forget the last Yosef Spring Tour that Cobb attended. It was at the Rock Barn Country Club and he never spoke to us. He had Rick Beasley emcee the event. Nothing against Rick, but that was pitiful for the AD not to at least say "Thank You for coming out and supporting ASU Athletics". Great looking stadium, but I wouldn't give Cobb too much credit. One person's opinion
Oh believe me, there isn't a team I enjoy pummeling more each year than GSU. Cobb fractured App Nation that few have managed to do and beating his new sandbox is always cathartic.



User avatar
hotrod2001
Posts: 525
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:26 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 144 times
Been thanked: 102 times

Re: Georgia State Upgrades to Turner Field

Unread post by hotrod2001 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:09 pm

And I agree with Gillin. I went to the App game last time it was in Atlanta and he personally went around the tailgate area speaking to all of the fans who made it to the game. I think this program can go far with him at the helm.



Goapps15
Posts: 1065
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:52 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 432 times
Been thanked: 213 times

Re: Georgia State Upgrades to Turner Field

Unread post by Goapps15 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:45 pm

Every time a post on Georgia State gets derailed over anti Cobb. Get over it. He did a very job pushing us to a good point and Doug has done a great job since. Just because he is an a**hole doesn't make him a bad AD.



CVAPP
Posts: 1012
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:45 am
School: Appalachian State
Location: Catawba Valley
Has thanked: 492 times
Been thanked: 198 times

Re: Georgia State Upgrades to Turner Field

Unread post by CVAPP » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:28 am

Goapps15 wrote:Every time a post on Georgia State gets derailed over anti Cobb. Get over it. He did a very job pushing us to a good point and Doug has done a great job since. Just because he is an a**hole doesn't make him a bad AD.
Haters are gonna hate. We had plenty of Roachel Laney haters before Cobb set foot in Boone.

Personally I see no difference between Cobb and Speir. They both left for better opportunities and took some folks with them, what's the big deal? I have nothing against either of them or any that went with them, and wish them all success in their professional careers post-App.

Having written that, if MJ and BuckFuzz have a falling out over BF's allowance and use of the jet I would not be surprised if Charlie tries to lure BF to Atlanta. Regardless, it won't be our problem any more.



Saint3333
Posts: 9485
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2000 8:42 am
Has thanked: 808 times
Been thanked: 1030 times

Re: Georgia State Upgrades to Turner Field

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:34 am

Laney was terrible, Mr. status quo held the sports program down for years.



User avatar
JTApps1
Posts: 2053
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:18 am
School: Appalachian State
Location: Lake Wylie
Has thanked: 317 times
Been thanked: 535 times

Re: Georgia State Upgrades to Turner Field

Unread post by JTApps1 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:45 pm

I can't believe some of you believe Ga. State is a better job! He was about to get run out of Boone so he took the first job he was offered. He had been turned down by several schools prior to that including a SoCon school. So don't buy that better job line.


When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

CVAPP
Posts: 1012
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:45 am
School: Appalachian State
Location: Catawba Valley
Has thanked: 492 times
Been thanked: 198 times

Re: Georgia State Upgrades to Turner Field

Unread post by CVAPP » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:21 pm

JTApps1 wrote:I can't believe some of you believe Ga. State is a better job! He was about to get run out of Boone so he took the first job he was offered. He had been turned down by several schools prior to that including a SoCon school. So don't buy that better job line.
Don't go twisting words. Better opportunities and better jobs are not necessarily the same thing. The rest of your post is hearsay. I am sure there were folks happy to see Cobb leave, but his staff at Ga State indicates he gained the respect of some of his staff during his time in Boone, and that is simply undeniable.



User avatar
JTApps1
Posts: 2053
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:18 am
School: Appalachian State
Location: Lake Wylie
Has thanked: 317 times
Been thanked: 535 times

Re: Georgia State Upgrades to Turner Field

Unread post by JTApps1 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:40 pm

You say opportunity and others have said job. It's basically the same thing. I trust the people who listed jobs he applied for so you can believe it or not, it's up to you.

The people that followed him to GSU clearly liked working for him, but there are different theories as to why they were so loyal. It doesn't matter now as we are much better off now than we were 2+ years ago. Cobb was an upgrade over Laney, and Gillin is an upgrade over Cobb.


When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

CVAPP
Posts: 1012
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:45 am
School: Appalachian State
Location: Catawba Valley
Has thanked: 492 times
Been thanked: 198 times

Re: Georgia State Upgrades to Turner Field

Unread post by CVAPP » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:56 pm

It would be nice and possibly more attractive to future job candidates if we could just be thankful for the successful folks that worked at App during their careers.



User avatar
appgrouch
Posts: 936
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:36 pm
School: Appalachian State
Location: In my seat, waiting for people to shut up and play.
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 51 times

Re: Georgia State Upgrades to Turner Field

Unread post by appgrouch » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:26 am

Saint3333 wrote:Laney was terrible, Mr. status quo held the sports program down for years.
If John Thomas was Chancellor when Cobb was here, the debt spending and the major raises of student fees would have not gone too far.
The admin and the Trustees were a lot different in those days.


That's what I do. I gripe and I know things.

WVAppsfan
Posts: 459
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:54 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 358 times
Been thanked: 153 times

Re: Georgia State Upgrades to Turner Field

Unread post by WVAppsfan » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:09 am

hotrod2001 wrote:You gotta give Charlie Cobb and GSU some credit, they really did an impressive job of putting Turner Field...er, I mean Parker Petit Field at Georgia State Stadium back to use after the Braves headed north. I'm not sure how much they can fill it up (gut says somewhere around what UNCC does with Richardson Stadium) but having their own digs should help that program out a lot I'd think.

Image
Image
Image
To me it appears like watching the PinStripe Bowl at Yankee Stadium or the bowl game at the Miami Marlins Stadium. They will not fill up the stadium unless they host Georgia Tech or UGA. Alas we are going down for the game over Thanksgiving weekend. There will be more from App nAtion there than State folks.


"Always give your all"

yikas1
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:34 pm
School: Appalachian State
Been thanked: 8 times

Re: Georgia State Upgrades to Turner Field

Unread post by yikas1 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:27 am

Looks like a baseball stadium with a makeshift football field to me. I guess eventually they can put sponsor banners across the thousands of upper deck stands which will never be used....



User avatar
ArmantiWaterSafety
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:31 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 13 times

Re: Georgia State Upgrades to Turner Field

Unread post by ArmantiWaterSafety » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:29 am

yikas1 wrote:Looks like a baseball stadium with a makeshift football field to me. I guess eventually they can put sponsor banners across the thousands of upper deck stands which will never be used....
Why yes, yes it does look like that. There must have been a lot of BRAVE people to come up with that design.



Saint3333
Posts: 9485
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2000 8:42 am
Has thanked: 808 times
Been thanked: 1030 times

Re: Georgia State Upgrades to Turner Field

Unread post by Saint3333 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:20 am

appgrouch wrote:
Saint3333 wrote:Laney was terrible, Mr. status quo held the sports program down for years.
If John Thomas was Chancellor when Cobb was here, the debt spending and the major raises of student fees would have not gone too far.
The admin and the Trustees were a lot different in those days.
Laney didn't try. He was content where App was, very comfortable to let it stay the way it was.



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Sun Belt Discussion”

  • Who is online
  • In total there are 9 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 9 guests

    Most users ever online was 1049 on Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:01 am

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests