Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Major Announcement Tomorrow

Discussion about anything related to the Sun Belt Conference
MtnMan09
School: Appalachian State

Re: Major Announcement Tomorrow

Unread post by MtnMan09 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:14 pm

If T-Dogs twitter synopsis is accurate, I like that some FB games will still be on regular networks with a chance at having the championship on ABC/ESPN/ESPN2. I was worried we were going to get relegated purely to some fourth tier untested service (which may still happen who knows) but it looks like, as some said, that the programming for FB remain largely unchanged. And I agree if we get consistent programming for baseball Im all in for that.

mikeyosef

Unread post by mikeyosef » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:39 pm

Hmm, so there really is an ESPN the OCHO
The Ocho.jpg
The Ocho.jpg (9.94 KiB) Viewed 5496 times

fjblair

Unread post by fjblair » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:46 pm

I also doubt this will have any negative impact on watching ASU football. ESPN is losing subscribers and desperate to increase revenue, but have serious doubts this paywall money grab is going to move the needle.They already have too much programming

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:21 pm

Expanding to 10 FB games on the linear networks is certainly a positive.

89gradX2

Unread post by 89gradX2 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:34 pm

We will see how this all shakes out for sure. I am not against the cost per month. Seems cheap if I have a good source for away games. I feel like ESPN has other problems. Problems they created and now they want my $5 per month to help solve that.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:33 pm

This seems positive overall. SB extends ESPN coverage for 10 yrs. ESPN retaining flexibility between linear and digital is because nobody can predict how delivery model will change over duration of contract. SB is not going to spin up their own network so this guarantees a top tier delivery ability for next 10 yrs.

I want to see financials but don’t expect big numbers.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:43 pm

10 games, 20 teams will play on tv each year, with only 10 teams we are bound to get a minimum of three TV games. I like the exposure, but don’t want more than one midweek home game per year.

Dmanuhone

Unread post by Dmanuhone » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:29 pm

Victory Yosef visited the Virgin Islands, now they are just called the Islands

AppNation85

Unread post by AppNation85 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:33 am

I think it’s a fantastic deal for us actually. More money, more games shown on ESPN. If you can tell a recruit that every single home game will be on some form of ESPN that is huge. If the alternative was building some sort of “Sun Belt Channel” website where we stream everything but the biggest games you can see how this is much better. For fans the only minus is now on top of Ann ESPN3 package you’ll need an ESPN Plus package but that most likely would have been true without this big sweeping deal.
Twitter: @RankAppState

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:23 am

The pay wall is still problematic to me, but it's not a bad deal in totality.

I'll pay to watch App football specifically. I'd rather not (because I get ESPN3 as part of my cable package independent of any App football considerations), but I'm willing to pony up for the 'Neers as I always am. Boone bars and Angry Ales are going to pay $5/m to show App games, but I don't imagine many others will. We might lose accessibility in that way, or at least force fans who don't live in Charlotte or Boone to stream at home rather than gather. Hopefully the quality of the broadcasts will improve, but I don't expect that even though we're paying now.

The exposure of the Championship game and other guarantees make it worth it. I'm happier now than when I started looking into it yesterday.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:21 am

Well it's about time that the sofa sitting people watching App for free have to buy "a ticket" and we get some $.
Now come drive up the hill!

fjblair

Unread post by fjblair » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:46 am

AppNation85 wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:33 am
I think it’s a fantastic deal for us actually. More money, more games shown on ESPN. If you can tell a recruit that every single home game will be on some form of ESPN that is huge. If the alternative was building some sort of “Sun Belt Channel” website where we stream everything but the biggest games you can see how this is much better. For fans the only minus is now on top of Ann ESPN3 package you’ll need an ESPN Plus package but that most likely would have been true without this big sweeping deal.
Every single football game was already on ESPN. I think this more about more viewing options for sports other than football. Good development either way.

MtnMan09

Unread post by MtnMan09 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:48 am

Rekdiver wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:21 am
Well it's about time that the sofa sitting people watching App for free have to buy "a ticket" and we get some $.
They were already buying a "ticket" by paying for cable to have access to ESPN 3. But by all means lets pretend that life doesn't get in the way to prevent people from coming up the mountain for good reasons who would still like to watch the Mountaineers. Heaven forbid youre an elderly fan that doesn't live near Boone and cant make that drive anymore.

Certainly don't like the paywall but the guarantees and the championship game coverage make it ALOT more palatable.

brocktune90

Unread post by brocktune90 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:34 pm

ESPN is using this same ESPN+ package for MLS games. They have taken over the old MLS Live streaming service and will include the out of market MLS games in the $5 price. One low price (MLS live was $70) will not only get you more App sports, it will get you more sports in general.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:55 pm

MtnMan09 wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:48 am
Rekdiver wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:21 am
They were already buying a "ticket" by paying for cable to have access to ESPN 3. But by all means lets pretend that life doesn't get in the way to prevent people from coming up the mountain for good reasons who would still like to watch the Mountaineers. Heaven forbid youre an elderly fan that doesn't live near Boone and cant make that drive anymore.

Certainly don't like the paywall but the guarantees and the championship game coverage make it ALOT more palatable.
You know who I’m talking about not elderly or those with a family commitment so knock off the self righteous indignation.

appfanjj

Unread post by appfanjj » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:38 pm

Curious as to how much more money we will receive and if the amount is set for the life of the deal or could there potentially be increases or decreases along the way.

MtnDevil95

Unread post by MtnDevil95 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:43 am

I'm with Gonzo about the pay wall. I'll pony up the $5 a month to be able to watch App football without a second thought, however public viewing options in my area (Raleigh) may be adversely impacted. It's bad enough as it is to compete with the "local" teams down east, but that's my problem. On the whole I think this is a better deal and should gain App better exposure and help recruiting.
“When you take that field today, you've got to lay that heart on the line, men. From the souls of your feet, with every ounce of blood you've got in your body, lay it on the line until the final whistle blows.”

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:46 am

Guys this isn’t $5 for SBC only games, there will be enough other content that bars that focus on sports will have it in their package.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:58 am

I don't get to the bars for games often but the Tenn game at Char Bar 7 was fun enough that I would pay for the $5 if the proprietor would only.show a game that way.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Sun Belt Discussion”