Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Major Announcement Tomorrow

Discussion about anything related to the Sun Belt Conference
Lowcountry App
School: Appalachian State

Re: Major Announcement Tomorrow

Unread post by Lowcountry App » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:52 pm

I’ll have to withhold judgment until I get all the facts but it sure sounds like we’ve been pushed down a tier that’s even lower than ESPN3.

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:53 pm

Never said it wasn't bad for the fans right now. We'll see what happens in the future as the service either takes off or flops. But having to cut athletic budgets is also bad for fans and schools. 6/5 and pick em as to what's worse.

MtnMan09

Unread post by MtnMan09 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:01 pm

firemoose wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:53 pm
Never said it wasn't bad for the fans right now. We'll see what happens in the future as the service either takes off or flops. But having to cut athletic budgets is also bad for fans and schools. 6/5 and pick em as to what's worse.
Unless we are getting ALOT more money I don't agree. One of the best things since we moved up was that we could all easily watch every away games (or week night games if we couldn't make it bc of work etc). If the member school payout goes from 100K to say 200K that's not going to raise or sink our AD, but the deal is certainly going to tank our exposure/easy ability to watch games. To me, and I don't speak for anyone else, that's not a good trade off.

Listening to the WatchESPN announcers (a channel which is not going away) I also cannot imagine what Espn "Plus" announcers are going to be like. Might as well put the games back on PBS.

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:05 pm

If the increase is small I also agree. And I doubt it will be very much. But until I see what it actually is I'm going to withhold judgement. I know that's not the norm on this board but it's just who I am. I want to see actual numbers before I have a cow.

If it's a tiny increase (which it probably is) then I'm on board with the fit pitching.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:07 pm

ESPN is going through changes due to changes in technology and delivery. Their business model for last 10 years is unsustainable so something had to change. I don't know how this is going to play out for us but there is no free lunch. I am interested in how much each school in SB gets. Personally ESPN3, albeit not perfect, has been much better than other streaming sources in the past. I don't think we have enough details to know whether this is better or not.

APPARJ

Unread post by APPARJ » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:13 pm

Sorry but who here is genuinely upset about paying $5/ month to watch App State sports? They could make it $15 a month and I wouldn’t blink. My only complaint has been inconsistent HD picture on ESPN3. If this solves that then I’ll pay right now.
Image ImageImage
ImageImage

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:15 pm

:lol: Yep, you've got me. I'm a positive person who tries to find anything good amongst all the bad. Which is why I don't belong here anymore. Most likely this is a s*&t deal for us. We'll know soon enough.

APPARJ

Unread post by APPARJ » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:19 pm

firemoose wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:15 pm
:lol: Yep, you've got me. I'm a positive person who tries to find anything good amongst all the bad. Which is why I don't belong here anymore. Most likely this is a s*&t deal for us. We'll know soon enough.
SOMEONE GET PBS ON THE PHONE! TIME TO GET A BETTER DEAL... from viewers like you!
Image ImageImage
ImageImage

Goapps15

Unread post by Goapps15 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:23 pm

APPARJ wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:19 pm
firemoose wrote:
SOMEONE GET PBS ON THE PHONE! TIME TO GET A BETTER DEAL... from viewers like you!
Thank you! Hell it was PBS3! It wasn't even the big PBS. How far we have come in 7 years.

MAD Doctor

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:26 pm

We'll get a lot of new exposure with the cricket/dodgeball/midnight bowling/roller derby/croquet/dwarf tossing/tether ball/shuffleboard/pie eating/pickleball/ballroom dancing crowd, not to mention the Double Dare and Battle of the Network Stars fans.
:roll:

MDaniels84

Unread post by MDaniels84 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:27 pm

APPARJ wrote:
firemoose wrote:
That might just be part of the MAJOR announcement - Bert and Ernie inked a 8 year deal with the Belt! ;)

attachment=0]download (1).jpeg[/attachment]
Attachments
download (1).jpeg
download (1).jpeg (12.35 KiB) Viewed 4197 times

APPARJ

Unread post by APPARJ » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:37 pm

MDaniels84 wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:27 pm
APPARJ wrote:
firemoose wrote:
That might just be part of the MAJOR announcement - Bert and Ernie inked a 8 year deal with the Belt! ;)

Hey! That’s okay with me. I grew up on the ‘Street!

Also, the complaints about ESPN3 announcers are valid but do they really matter? We know the team better than they do.

Besides, I just call Steve Brown and make him analyze the game for me on speakerphone. ;)
Image ImageImage
ImageImage

Appalachman

Unread post by Appalachman » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:39 pm

The schools also like ticket sales, season, single game, etc. If TV revenue gains ain't offsetting tickets lost to those staying on the couch rather than climbing the mountain, or creating recruiting/exposure gains having it be more difficult to access may not be a negative to the school. If there is a little more TV revenue and a little more ticket sales then cash flow is up and negatives....? $5/month is cheaper than Charlotte or Raleigh to Boone for even one game.

MtnMan09

Unread post by MtnMan09 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:46 pm

APPARJ wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:37 pm
MDaniels84 wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:27 pm
APPARJ wrote:
firemoose wrote:

Hey! That’s okay with me. I grew up on the ‘Street!

Also, the complaints about ESPN3 announcers are valid but do they really matter? We know the team better than they do.

Besides, I just call Steve Brown and make him analyze the game for me on speakerphone. ;)
Ha, if I had him on speed dial like you do, I'd be doing the same. That DJ/Brownie combo will remain unmatched imo. I remember growing up my Tar Heel mom muting the TV to listen to Woody Durham on the call. I'd do the same with our guys if I could.

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:47 pm

I like. I have not had cable/satellite in almost two years. I live out a bit too so the internet is poor DSL. This will be super. It will not be long and most of TV will be pay like Netflix and others. My college children don't care about regular TV. When ESPN goes full on Netflix model all cable and Dish company will fall apart as internet access is all that people will want to be buying.

canes_mj

Unread post by canes_mj » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:33 pm

I'm fine with this. Reading between the lines, I'm guessing this isn't going to effect football very much and that most football (and even men's bball) games will still be on WatchESPN. Will have to wait and see to know for sure what the actual programming will be, but I'm thinking more the non-revenue sports. App is getting more money from the deal. Worst case scenario, we'll have to pay $5 extra per month during football season. Not a big deal to me. The only thing I'm really concerned about is that the streaming quality is good.

AppGrad78

Unread post by AppGrad78 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:49 pm

bigCasu

Unread post by bigCasu » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:54 pm

If I get to watch twice as many baseball games without having to pay $10 for a weekend when the Apps are on the road, I am all for this. Soccer, volleyball, you name it. More App sports in front of my eyeballs is a good thing.

Boone Goon

Unread post by Boone Goon » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:09 pm

I don't think I saw the financials, but overall more games being broadcast/streamed is a good thing.

Does anyone know if the $4.99/month is just for ESPN+ content, or would we also be able to access the ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU networks for the $4.99? This could be the best way to cut the cord!! Fingers crossed.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:11 pm

Boone Goon wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:09 pm
I don't think I saw the financials, but overall more games being broadcast/streamed is a good thing.

Does anyone know if the $4.99/month is just for ESPN+ content, or would we also be able to access the ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU networks for the $4.99? This could be the best way to cut the cord!! Fingers crossed.
Linear networks (main stations) are not included with ESPN+.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Sun Belt Discussion”