Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Troy starting QB out for season

Discussion about anything related to the Sun Belt Conference
biggie
Site Admin
School: Appalachian State

Troy starting QB out for season

Unread post by biggie » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:29 pm

Just saw he torn ACL in the last game.

Although their backup looked pretty good, I'd assume this hurts them some.

moonshine

Troy’s QB out for season

Unread post by moonshine » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:34 pm

Coach Neal Brown announced that (QB) Kaleb Barker will undergo ACL surgery on Friday and miss the remainder of the season. Sawyer Smith will be the starter against Liberty this Saturday. Reports say Smith had a close battle with Barker throughout camp.
Picked up via free agency by the High Country All-Stars

DaphneUrquhart

Re: Troy starting QB out for season

Unread post by DaphneUrquhart » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:35 pm

That's a tough one for him and for the team. I hope his recovery is smooth and as quick as possible.
If serving is beneath you, then leading is beyond you.

#GiveYosef

biggie
Site Admin

Re: Troy’s QB out for season

Unread post by biggie » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:47 pm

Combining the 2 topics.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:19 pm

Troy faithful will tell you that they aren’t concerned with Sawyer starting, but after watching their game last week against Ga State, they should be. The offense looked dramatically different with Barker taking the snaps. The tempo was different, the fluidity and efficiency was different. Should be interesting to see how he handles being the starter.

troyw
School: Troy

Unread post by troyw » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:26 pm

I don't think any Troy fan denies that the offense will be different, but Sawyer was neck and neck with Barker in the Spring. That being said, the tempo of the offense has been different the last several weeks even with Barker in the game. No one knows why but Coach Brown has decided to slow the tempo of the offense when we get an early lead. Just look at the ULM game as an example.

bigCasu

Unread post by bigCasu » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:58 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:19 pm
Troy faithful will tell you that they aren’t concerned with Sawyer starting, but after watching their game last week against Ga State, they should be. The offense looked dramatically different with Barker taking the snaps. The tempo was different, the fluidity and efficiency was different. Should be interesting to see how he handles being the starter.
Their backup is now a freshman and that offense has been running their QB's an awful lot.

DaphneUrquhart

Unread post by DaphneUrquhart » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:25 pm

troyw wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:26 pm
I don't think any Troy fan denies that the offense will be different, but Sawyer was neck and neck with Barker in the Spring. That being said, the tempo of the offense has been different the last several weeks even with Barker in the game. No one knows why but Coach Brown has decided to slow the tempo of the offense when we get an early lead. Just look at the ULM game as an example.
Looks like Sawyer had offers from several folks, including UCF. I'm sure he'll catch on quickly now that he'll be taking all the reps.

I'd love to see both our teams healthy for what may be The Battle for the East on Thanksgiving weekend. There's still plenty of football to be played between now and then. For now, all I can think about is beating stAte tomorrow night ...
If serving is beneath you, then leading is beyond you.

#GiveYosef

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:47 pm

bigCasu wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:58 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:19 pm
Their backup is now a freshman and that offense has been running their QB's an awful lot.
Will be interesting how the lack of depth at QB will change the style of playcalling.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:55 pm

troyw wrote:
Without knowing much about the ins and outs of your program, I can only speculate based off what I noticed. No doubt that Sawyer is plenty capable of handling the job, the team just looked to respond differently to the guy taking the snaps. We have had those types of camp battles where guys were battling it out for the starting job and more often than not, it doesn't come down to talent, rather the intangibles.

Brown is a heckuva coach and will get his guys ready. Barker ran it a lot and was a dynamic weapon running, as well as, throwing. In your opinion, how does this affect the playcalling given that Sawyer's backup is untested? Hoping that we meet in November undefeated in conference play, if for no other reason than it means that the Gumroots are 0-2 against the big boys.
Last edited by AppSt94 on Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:27 pm

troyw wrote:
We need you guys to keep winning; 1) so that our victory on Nov 24th will mean that much more and, 2) so that Coach Brown (one of a few Sun Belt coaches I actually admire) will get hired away by a P5 program.

troyw
School: Troy

Unread post by troyw » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:36 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:55 pm
troyw wrote:
Without knowing much about the ins and outs of your program, I can only speculate based off what I noticed. No doubt that Sawyer is plenty capable of handling the job, the team just looked to respond differently to the guy taking the snaps. We have had those types of camp battles where guys were battling it out for the starting job and more often than not it doesn't come down to talent, rather than intangibles.

Brown is a heckuva coach and will get his guys ready. Barker ran it a lot and was a dynamic weapon running, as well as, throwing. In your opinion, how does this affect the playcalling given that Sawyer's backup is untested? Hoping that we meet in November undefeated in conference play, if for no other reason than it means that the Gumroots are 0-2 against the big boys.
I would think you will see fewer called QB runs. Sawyer is a much bigger QB than Barker but you
can't run the risk of injury. Look for more swing passes.

ASU85Grad

Unread post by ASU85Grad » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:43 pm

I always hate to hear of a young person getting a season ending injury. I don't care who they play for.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Sun Belt Discussion”