Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Looks Like No Announcement Soon

Discussion about anything related to the Sun Belt Conference
hapapp
School: Appalachian State

Looks Like No Announcement Soon

Unread post by hapapp » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:24 pm

http://www.theadvertiser.com/article/20 ... ck_check=1

SBC ADs met yesterday and have decided to take a wait and see attitude for the moment.

asumike83

Re: Looks Like No Announcement Soon

Unread post by asumike83 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:30 pm

I think it all depends on how fast the Big East/C-USA act. I thought this was interesting:

"If it's exactly the same — 10 football, 12 the rest — then it's obvious we need to add two football-playing schools," Benson said last month. "And if we want to maintain the divisions, the balance, it would appear likely the two are gonna have to come from the east. That gets us to kind-of status quo."

And that would mean the two could come from among Georgia Southern and Appalachian State, both of which were considered in the Sun Belt's last round of realignment, and Liberty and Jacksonville State.

appbio91

Unread post by appbio91 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:35 pm

asumike83 wrote:I think it all depends on how fast the Big East/C-USA act. I thought this was interesting:

"If it's exactly the same — 10 football, 12 the rest — then it's obvious we need to add two football-playing schools," Benson said last month. "And if we want to maintain the divisions, the balance, it would appear likely the two are gonna have to come from the east. That gets us to kind-of status quo."

And that would mean the two could come from among Georgia Southern and Appalachian State, both of which were considered in the Sun Belt's last round of realignment, and Liberty and Jacksonville State.
Also as interesting that if they go 12 football sounds like we may get passed over in favor of current FBS programs and Southland conference. I am missing something there but maybe related to geography?

"But if the decision is made to expand to 12 teams that play football, some combination of one or both of the Southland schools and New Mexico State and/Idaho might have a better shot at a Sun Belt invite."
Last edited by appbio91 on Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

asumike83

Unread post by asumike83 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:39 pm

I think he meant that they will add in the East regardless to get to 10 and if they expand past that to 12, they will then look to Idaho/NMSU or SHSU/Lamar. The wording is pretty ambiguous, although I'd be surprised if they added 4 in the West to get to 12.

appbio91

Unread post by appbio91 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:43 pm

asumike83 wrote:I think he meant that they will add in the East regardless to get to 10 and if they expand past that to 12, they will then look to Idaho/NMSU or SHSU/Lamar. The wording is pretty ambiguous, although I'd be surprised if they added 4 in the West to get to 12.
Doesn't read that way for me but maybe you are correct. Like I said for me there is a disconnect there.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:34 pm

There is really nothing surprising at all about his statements. This basically confirms exactly what most of us already know.

It is generally accepted that everybody (all non-BCS conferences) is waiting on fallout from Big East before too many moves are made. C-USA will almost have to make some more moves as a result. The Sun knows they can't poach anybody from BE or CUSA so they have to wait to see what plays out or they will be making a premature decision. Any move they make now may be nullified when BE and CUSA do make their moves.

vegattk

Unread post by vegattk » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:43 pm

Sounds good to me... If I remember correctly there is a May date/deadline where, if you declare AFTER it you can still participate in that year's playoffs...
One game does not a postseason make.
More App Games > Less App Games

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:47 pm

GOD!!! I'm so tired of reactive business strategies. If Cobb and Commissioner Benson were kids at a middle school dance, they would stand on opposite sides of the dance floor all night staring at each other until the damn thing ended. We should have been in this conference over a year ago.

Every day in the FCS hurts our recruiting.

ASUMountaineer

Unread post by ASUMountaineer » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:03 pm

vegattk wrote:Sounds good to me... If I remember correctly there is a May date/deadline where, if you declare AFTER it you can still participate in that year's playoffs...
If we go, I assume we'll try to do it the way ODU did.
Poster formerly known as AppState03 (MMB) and currently known as ASUMountaineer everywhere else.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:41 pm

Gonzo wrote:GOD!!! I'm so tired of reactive business strategies. If Cobb and Commissioner Benson were kids at a middle school dance, they would stand on opposite sides of the dance floor all night staring at each other until the damn thing ended. We should have been in this conference over a year ago.

Every day in the FCS hurts our recruiting.
OK, I do see that the SB is being reactive here, but exactly what choice do you believe App (Cobb) has in this? By definition, we have to be invited before we go. As far as you and I know, there is already an agreement in place and they are waiting for the other pieces to fall into place before announcing. I understand that people wanted to see Cobb and Peacock out there opening campaigning, holding press conferences, and sharing step by step updates. The fact is that they just aren't going to do it that way, and I don't think it would be effective if they tried. Nothing would alienate us more quickly from a prospective conference than to be that "tail" trying to "wag the dog."

Just because we don't see if happening, doesn't mean it isn't going on.

ASUPATCH

Unread post by ASUPATCH » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:19 am

Here is a podcast Benson gave after the meeting
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2013 ... _conf.html
Last edited by ASUPATCH on Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Appalachian State, Better than your school since 1899!!!!

ASUPATCH

Unread post by ASUPATCH » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:23 am

Vote for App in the Advertiser poll as to who you would want the Sunbelt to add.
http://www.theadvertiser.com/interactiv ... -Sun-Belt-

ASUPATCH

Unread post by ASUPATCH » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:02 am

ASUPATCH wrote:Vote for App in the Advertiser poll as to who you would want the Sunbelt to add.
http://www.theadvertiser.com/interactiv ... -Sun-Belt-

Boy that didnt take long. We now have the lead in the poll. Great job guys.

AppAttack

Unread post by AppAttack » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:25 pm

Karl Benson = zzzzzzzzzz...

MAD Doctor

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:54 pm

Waiting is difficult because of what happened last May. While many of us felt that everything was fine and that we were FBS bound, we were stunned to see Charlotte and ODU in, and us snubbed. I trusted and believed everything was under control, only to hear our AD later talk about a change in marketing strategy. I agree that we, along with many others, are at the mercy of the super conferences, but I just hope, in the words of The Who, "we don't get fooled again."

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:17 pm

MAD Doctor wrote:Waiting is difficult because of what happened last May. While many of us felt that everything was fine and that we were FBS bound, we were stunned to see Charlotte and ODU in, and us snubbed. I trusted and believed everything was under control, only to hear our AD later talk about a change in marketing strategy. I agree that we, along with many others, are at the mercy of the super conferences, but I just hope, in the words of The Who, "we don't get fooled again."
Completely agree. I'm as frustrated and disappointed with events of last May as anyone. This situation is tailor made to be frustrating. I still trust that our leadership is doing anything and everything possible to position our program. Just because some reporter makes a comment that we appear to be sitting and waiting, I'm not buying into that idea. Until we're ready to make an announcement, a reporter would be the LAST person with reliable inside information. Like most on this board, I hope we don't get disappointed again, but at this point I'm trusting the leadership.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:51 pm

Just because some reporter makes a comment that we appear to be sitting and waiting, I'm not buying into that idea.

I don't think it is necessarily ASU that is sitting and waiting but rather the SBC. We don't control our own destiny here. We have to receive an invite. Of course, we have to accept that invite. Not necessarily a foregone conclusion.

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:07 pm

hapapp wrote:Just because some reporter makes a comment that we appear to be sitting and waiting, I'm not buying into that idea.

I don't think it is necessarily ASU that is sitting and waiting but rather the SBC. We don't control our own destiny here. We have to receive an invite. Of course, we have to accept that invite. Not necessarily a foregone conclusion.
Did you see the story on CBS Sportsline today about the BE? It doesn't look like they are going to go without a fight no matter what what SDSU does. If they do what the blogger says and stay eastern then they are going to have to pull some from C-USA, SB, and possibly MAC which should create some openings for us. Since we have talked to all three of those conferences it would be interesting to see who might pop the invite. I just hope the decision is made before signing day or after the deadline for next year's playoffs. Before signing day might help us pull in some better players, if not then wait until we can go to the playoffs one more time. Would love to be the team that stops NDSU from getting the 3-peat as our last FCS act. :D

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootbal ... ks-ongoing

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:08 pm

firemoose wrote:
hapapp wrote:Just because some reporter makes a comment that we appear to be sitting and waiting, I'm not buying into that idea.

Did you see the story on CBS Sportsline today about the BE? It doesn't look like they are going to go without a fight no matter what what SDSU does. If they do what the blogger says and stay eastern then they are going to have to pull some from C-USA, SB, and possibly MAC which should create some openings for us. Since we have talked to all three of those conferences it would be interesting to see who might pop the invite. I just hope the decision is made before signing day or after the deadline for next year's playoffs. Before signing day might help us pull in some better players, if not then wait until we can go to the playoffs one more time. Would love to be the team that stops NDSU from getting the 3-peat as our last FCS act. :D

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootbal ... ks-ongoing
It all depends on how big the nBE wants to go. Navy in 2015 gives them 11. There is a lot of talk on the BE board about adding Tulsa to get to 12.

In the end, I don't know if these moves make any difference for ASU. I don't know that it is what the conferences decide as much as it is what ASU decides it wants or can afford to do.

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:25 pm

hapapp wrote:It all depends on how big the nBE wants to go. Navy in 2015 gives them 11. There is a lot of talk on the BE board about adding Tulsa to get to 12.

In the end, I don't know if these moves make any difference for ASU. I don't know that it is what the conferences decide as much as it is what ASU decides it wants or can afford to do.
No arguments here. There are still about a hundred scenarios that could play out and we have to wait and see how the alignments work out from a regional standpoint before we can see if they make sense from a financal standpoint for us. I just wish the conferences would get to moving so we can get this issue settled one way or the other. I am tired of the whole process and can't wait until it's over.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Sun Belt Discussion”