Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Non football needs of conferences

Discussion about anything related to the Sun Belt Conference
McLeansvilleAppFan
School: Appalachian State

Non football needs of conferences

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:11 pm

How much does it matter if our sports offerings need to match a new conference offering.

Sun Belt does not offer Wrestling, but we do and the SoCon needs us to keep the wrestling numbers up, so I would think we have a home for wrestling if we move to FBS. Then again the SB has swimming and diving, which we don't have.

On the women's side we have Field Hockey and the NorPac needs us on the east coast so it still has a home, but the SB has swimming and diving.

Would we consider dropping the non-SB sports of Wrestling and FH and pick up the SB sponsored sports of swimming and diving just to fit in better and make us a better grab for scheduling all around?

GaSo does not offer as many sports as we do, so there would be more holes in the Olympic sports if they join the SB, but they do have swimming and diving. Are they planning to offer more sports to be a better fit? Besides adding the extra football schollies and the Title IX requirements on the women's side I could see them needing to add some sports which is even more schollies, coach salaries and travel expenses.

Or are the Olympic sports just there and so far removed from the discussion none of the decision makers really care as long as football and basketball and baseball are there? I think the NCAA has some min number of sports that much be offered to be D-I. Do any of the conferences we have any interest in have specific requirements in number of or specific sports offered?
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

JCline0429

Re: Non football needs of conferences

Unread post by JCline0429 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:36 pm

If I recall correctly, we no longer have a pool on campus and if the Y is like the norm, it is already fully utilized.
a.k.a JC0429

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:02 am

JCline0429 wrote:If I recall correctly, we no longer have a pool on campus and if the Y is like the norm, it is already fully utilized.
I think the one newer Rec Center over past the math building has a pool. Though I don't think it is Olympic size of 50 meters, it might not even be in meters but yards. I would hope it is new enough to at least be meters even if not Olympic length. I have no idea how this works for NCAA swimming, as far as what is required for pools. What passes as usable for High School swim meets, which is mostly 25 yard pools may need to be in meters for NCAA. I would assume if the pool is not 50 meters then it would not have a moveable bullkhead to go from yards to meters. I can't even remember the old pool in Broome-Kirk. I am sure it was yards, but was it 50 or 25 yards. I just don't remember even though I was in it a few times.

I can't imagine the NCAA being that strict, given the cost of a pool and some have been around for awhile. There are 4 basic lengths and as long as one of those 4 are used I would think it would be doable.

I typed all this out and then googled NCAA size pool and found this.

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/rules/fielddiag ... diving.pdf

So after all of that, I think we have a pool on campus but I have no idea if it would work for us.
Last edited by McLeansvilleAppFan on Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:09 am

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
JCline0429 wrote:If I recall correctly, we no longer have a pool on campus and if the Y is like the norm, it is already fully utilized.
I think the one newer Rec Center over past the math building has a pool. Though I don't think it is Olympic size of 50 meters, it might not even be in meters but yards. I would hope it is new enough to at least be meters even if not Olympic length. I have no idea how this works for NCAA swimming, as far as what is required for pools. What passes as usable for High School swim meets, which is mostly 25 yard pulls may need to be in meters and 50 meters but at least meters. I would assume if the pool is not 50 meters then it would not have a moveable bullkhead to go from yards to meters. I can't even remember the old pool in Broome-Kirk. I am sure it was yards, but was it 50 or 25 yards. I just don't remember

I can't imagine the NCAA being that strict, given the cost of a pool. There are 4 basic lengths and as long as one of those 4 are used I would think it would be doable.

So after all of that, I think we have a pool on campus but I have no idea if it would work for us.

I just hate it when that happens. :D

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:16 am

firemoose wrote:
I think the one newer Rec Center over past the math building has a pool. Though I don't think it is Olympic size of 50 meters, it might not even be in meters but yards. I would hope it is new enough to at least be meters even if not Olympic length. I have no idea how this works for NCAA swimming, as far as what is required for pools. What passes as usable for High School swim meets, which is mostly 25 yard pulls may need to be in meters and 50 meters but at least meters. I would assume if the pool is not 50 meters then it would not have a moveable bullkhead to go from yards to meters. I can't even remember the old pool in Broome-Kirk. I am sure it was yards, but was it 50 or 25 yards. I just don't remember

I can't imagine the NCAA being that strict, given the cost of a pool. There are 4 basic lengths and as long as one of those 4 are used I would think it would be doable.

I just hate it when that happens. :D
I am used to it, every other post is that way for me.

In fact after I typed this out I Googled "How often does McLeansvilleAppFan Google a topic he is typing about on MMB."

I got this link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Every_Time

It is worse than I thought.

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:21 am

firemoose wrote: I just hate it when that happens. :D

In fact after I typed this out I Googled "How often does McLeansvilleAppFan Google a topic he is typing about on MMB."

I got this link

Now that's funny :lol:

I would hate to Google myself. I'm afraid what would come up.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:24 am

firemoose wrote:

I got this link

I don't know if you ever watched Arrested Development, but to quote Michael Bluth, "There has got to be a better way of saying that." :o

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:29 am

firemoose wrote:

I got this link

I don't know if you ever watched Arrested Development, but to quote Michael Bluth, "There has got to be a better way of saying that." :o
I have watched it and I thought of that when I was typing that. Also thought "that could get a rise out of someone" then realized exactly what the I just thought. Good Lord. :shock:

I've spent far too much time in front of this computer. I need to get out where the 3 dimensional people are.

newtoasu

Unread post by newtoasu » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:38 am

NCAA pools must be 25 yards, no meters allowed. A bulkhead can be used as most modern collegiate pools are 50 meters so they can host NCAA and non-NCAA meets. Older pools (like SMU, Henderson State, and old Broome-Kirk) were all just 25 yards.

My concern about the Rec Center pool would be the width in order to get the minimum of 6 lanes in. Most schools have 8 lanes which is preferred. I think I remember questioning the size when they started building the Rec Center because it wasn't big enough, but I can't remember today.

After I wrote all of this I went to the Rec Center page and it does appear that the pool would meet the requirements for the NCAA. Of course due to Title IX only a women's team would make sense, just like most other schools. I think there s only 6 DI or DII men's swim programs inh Texas but at least 15 women's. Swimming, wrestling and soccer on the men's side paid the price for football when Title IX became law.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:17 pm

Interesting the pool must be in yards. I guess this is to allow colleges with pools decades old to comply.

Would it be possible to offer men's S&D without schollies but give a few to the women's S&D team. In college swimming do both men's and women's compete same time and date at the same location against the same school (s) as they do in high school, or is the scheduling more like college basketball, where the occasional doubleheader happens, but even then different schools are playing men's and women's teams.

newtoasu

Unread post by newtoasu » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:24 pm

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:Interesting the pool must be in yards. I guess this is to allow colleges with pools decades old to comply.
i have to correct my previous statement. The pool does not have to be in yards, but NCAA competitions are swam in yards, not meters. Despite the rest of the world, including the US swimming most meets in meters, the NCAA has stayed with yards. My guess is that is because so many schools only have pools that were built many years ago that are only in yards. you can always take a meters pool and make it yards, but you cannot take a yards pool and convert it to meters!

newtoasu

Unread post by newtoasu » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:35 pm

Would it be possible to offer men's S&D without schollies but give a few to the women's S&D team. In college swimming do both men's and women's compete same time and date at the same location against the same school (s) as they do in high school, or is the scheduling more like college basketball, where the occasional doubleheader happens, but even then different schools are playing men's and women's teams.
I'm not sure about the requirement to give scholarships. I know the number of full scholarships are very limited, similar to baseball. I think that at the Di level women get about 15 full equivalents and men get 10. At the DII level it is the same at around 8 each. I also know that some DII schools give just Room & Board scholarships. Adams State in Colorado did this when they started their swim program about 3 years ago. They offered my son free room & board, and in state tuition to swim for them. The reason they did it this way was because they had empty dorm rooms (read that as excess capacity) and therefore the cost for room & board to them was minimal, but they were able to get tuition and also get credit hours so the state would give them extra funding. It is a model that several DII schools have used for non-revenue sports.

As far as scheduling, it works similar to basketball. For most meets my son's team (Henderson State in Arkansas)and the women's team swim against the same university's men's and women's teams. However there are times when just the men or just the women swim against other schools. There are also meets that have multiple schools swimming. In those meets you will usually have about twice as many women's teams than men's. That being said, technically they are separate teams and have separate championships and do not look at "mixed results" even if the meets are swam at the same time.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:11 pm

My wife does her schools swimming, and that is both Male and Female teams. Technically two separate teams with different scoring, but they always meet at the same time, location, and against the same schools be it a dual/tri/quad meet.

But if the men and women's team meet at times and on different days that would mean more buses and the need for more coaches. Once coach could not cover both at that point. Something that could be a cheap sport suddenly is starting to get expensive is sounds.

How do the meets run without both sexes? In high school it goes female/male back and forth which gives a breather to the swimmers. Are their limits on how many events can be entered for each swimmer? I think in high school it is 3 events and a relay. There is some limit and one swimmer could not enter every event.

newtoasu

Unread post by newtoasu » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:08 pm

In Texas high schools swimmers are restricted to 2 individual and 2 relays.

I'm not sure what the restrictions are in college meets, but they do have more events usually than the high schools, or at least the high schools in Texas. For instance in college they swim the 800 free, and the mile in addition to events like the 400 IM and 400 Fly.

I know my son, who is an IMer and a mid to long distance swimmer has swam a 1650 (mile), 800, 500, 400 IM, 400 Fly as well as most of the medley relays in the same meets. Of course most college meets occur over 2, 3, or sometimes 4 days, particularly districts and national meets.

As for coaches, at the DII level their is usually just one head coach for bothe the men's and women's teams as well as diving, both mens and women. They usually have an assistant and a couple of GA's, but some just have a GA or two.

At the two DI programs that I am familiar with, SMU and TCU, where my son visited, they have both a men's Head and assistant coach, and a women's head and assistant coach. In addition both teams had two GA's.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:04 pm

Now that you mention it, 2 ind and 2 relays is the same I think here in NC. High Schools sports are fairly standard through the NHSAA or whatever the thing is called that governs the state high school athletic associations.

I knew big meets would take a few days such as a conference tourney, and I assumed most duals would be longer and more varied than a high school meet but I was figuring a few hours and it was over. This is starting to sound very expensive with hotels, and tutors for missing classtime. I guess nothing can be done cheap in the NCAA.

newtoasu

Unread post by newtoasu » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:12 pm

Actually most indivual meets are just one day, maybe two ate the most.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Sun Belt Discussion”