Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Should the Sun Belt look North?

Discussion about anything related to the Sun Belt Conference
ah59396
School: Appalachian State

Should the Sun Belt look North?

Unread post by ah59396 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:09 am

Curious to everyone’s thoughts on this. I keep seeing people chat about raiding CUSA, but personally I think the MAC is prime to be plucked apart.

I’ve mentioned this before but enrollment figures out of the MAC are eye opening.

https://www.daily-chronicle.com/2019/09 ... s/arv2819/

This is just one article on NIU (a school who not long ago played in a BCS bowl) down nearly 10,000 students in a decade. CMU, EMU, and many of the northern Ohio schools are also in the same boat. Empty schools. Mid week games. Empty stadiums. Rust belt states. There are a couple healthy schools but it’s mostly ugly.

If the Sun Belt made a move to poach say, two or four strong MAC schools, then invite JMU & Marshall, you could rearrange the conference into a north and south division. Obviously we’d be in the north with JMU, Marshall and MAC+. I also think this would be very appealing to both Marshall & JMU and adding say, an Ohio and Miami OH would dramatically elevate Sun Belt academics. Yes it’s more mouths to feed but this is for fun.

Yes. This is an off-season “what if” thread. Just curious to opinions.
YNWA

hotrod2001

Re: Should the Sun Belt look North?

Unread post by hotrod2001 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:20 am

Nah, The MAC is like its own little world and too far north.

If the Sun Belt were to expand, it'd probably bring up another FCS program or two like JMU, EKU and A&T. That or push UT Arlington to bring their program back, something they've toyed with for a few years now.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:23 am

I think the G5s need to be looking at ways to reduce sprawl, not expand it.

I'm so all-in on full-scale SBCUSA realignment that I don't really want to see any other alternatives that would delay or prevent it.

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:25 am

hotrod2001 wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:20 am

If the Sun Belt were to expand, it'd probably bring up another FCS program or two like JMU, EKU and A&T. That or push UT Arlington to bring their program back, something they've toyed with for a few years now.
That’s fair.

Do you think the MAC will survive as an FBS football conference?
YNWA

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:51 am

Nah. I see a possibility of new FBS Regional Type Conference forming. Teams like: App, The Stink, Middle Tennessee, Marshall, ECU, Charlotte, ODU, Western Kentucky, Arky State

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:53 am

ah59396 wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:25 am
hotrod2001 wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:20 am

That’s fair.

Do you think the MAC will survive as an FBS football conference?
I hadn't given it any thought until I saw your post on it on another thread the other day. You raise some good points though. I also read where one of the coaches mentioned that the league gets beat up more than most in OOC play because many of the teams have to schedule three money games just to pay the bills. Not only paints a bad picture of where they are financially, but then you've got a bunch of teams getting into conference play at 1-3 or 0-4, which is obviously bad on a number of levels, not the least of which is that it's got to be tough to get fans to come out on a weeknight to watch a sub-.500 G5 team play in cold weather.

I am not knowledgeable enough about the league overall to have an informed opinion on its future, but it's gone from one of the better G5s a few years ago to pretty clearly at the bottom today, so it would seem something needs to change.

ETA: I just looked back and realized this comment wasn't directed to me so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Last edited by EastHallApp on Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:09 pm

MAC schools will step down to FCS before the Sunbelt voluntarily absorbs 4 of their programs.

Restructuring as an FCS conference probably isn't a bad idea for them. Get their games back on Saturdays, don't have to suckle at the ESPN teat anymore, fans actually get excited again, alumni return to campus, enrollment increases.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:23 pm

From an institutional standpoint, the MAC is comprised of fine universities with strong academic reputations. There are a few programs that wouldn't be bad from a performance perspective but the problem is that expanding our footprint north would run exactly counter to the current school of thought. We don't have to add programs and, so I just don't see a benefit to adding any programs from the MAC. It would increase travel costs and complicate scheduling (travel partners) but it wouldn't improve our perception.

I just don't see the benefit.

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:46 pm

APPdiesel wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:09 pm
MAC schools will step down to FCS before the Sunbelt voluntarily absorbs 4 of their programs.

Restructuring as an FCS conference probably isn't a bad idea for them. Get their games back on Saturdays, don't have to suckle at the ESPN teat anymore, fans actually get excited again, alumni return to campus, enrollment increases.
It would immediately be the premier FCS conference and a massive rival to the MVC due to geographic footprint. Their financial situation would also be greatly improved.

Pride would obviously get in the way but I see clear benefits.
YNWA

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:47 pm

Yosef84 wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:23 pm
From an institutional standpoint, the MAC is comprised of fine universities with strong academic reputations. There are a few programs that wouldn't be bad from a performance perspective but the problem is that expanding our footprint north would run exactly counter to the current school of thought. We don't have to add programs and, so I just don't see a benefit to adding any programs from the MAC. It would increase travel costs and complicate scheduling (travel partners) but it wouldn't improve our perception.

Great point. Our footprint would get pretty gigantic and would creat some problems for travel. Would be nice to have access to Ohio for recruiting.
YNWA

VNova

Unread post by VNova » Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:05 pm

APPdiesel wrote:

I don't think football has much to do with their enrollment issues. NIU in-state tuition, cheapest on campus housing/meal plan, and fees amounts to $102,000 for four years. That's not including books, cost of travel, etc. Eastern Michigan costs $99,250 over 4 years with everything. Kent State is about $108,000 with everything.

For comparison, App State is about $64,000 for four years now.

If you can't afford to go to the school, football isn't going to help much. With that said, a drop to FCS could help drive down costs of attendance and at least stabilize enrollment.

AppDawg

Unread post by AppDawg » Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:28 pm

My position on expansion has always been to pluck Marshall & Southern Miss away from CUSA.

yosef13

Unread post by yosef13 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:38 pm

VNova wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:05 pm
APPdiesel wrote:

I don't think football has much to do with their enrollment issues. NIU in-state tuition, cheapest on campus housing/meal plan, and fees amounts to $102,000 for four years. That's not including books, cost of travel, etc. Eastern Michigan costs $99,250 over 4 years with everything. Kent State is about $108,000 with everything.

If you can't afford to go to the school, football isn't going to help much. With that said, a drop to FCS could help drive down costs of attendance and at least stabilize enrollment.
Also worth noting, Illinois had the second largest population drop in the US in 2018, so this makes sense. The mass exodus from the northeast and the rust belt is very real. We see it everyday in Charlotte.

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:43 pm

Yosef84 wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:23 pm

This, sort of!!!

The Rust Belt/MAC schools are in a world of hurt football-wise; so much so that the Sun Belt can't and shouldn't consider trying to save them. On the other hand, the southern-most MAC institution, Ohio U, would be a solid pic for athletics and academics. If this conference is going to include Marshall; Ohio U. isn't much farther north.

Realignment, when it comes around and it will, will provide a way for JMU to join a new hybrid conference that might also include institutions like App State, Ohio, WKU, Marshall, ECU, Charlotte, Coastal, GaState, GaSo, Troy, Ark State, UAB, Sou Miss. Outside, perhaps wanting in... Sou Ala, FAU, FIU, La Tech, La La.

Vivid imagination is a wonderful thing, except that...reality soon strikes.
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:43 pm

VNova wrote:
APPdiesel wrote:

I didn't say bad football = drop in attendance. I said good football = increase in attendance. It's exactly what took App State from 12,000 students in 2006 to almost 20,000 in 2020.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

BUTCH1991

Unread post by BUTCH1991 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:59 pm

Just a simple no

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:18 pm

In my humble opinion: No, we shouldn't look north.
Give 'em hell!

AppInDC

Unread post by AppInDC » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:57 pm

APPdiesel wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:43 pm
VNova wrote:
APPdiesel wrote:

I didn't say bad football = drop in attendance. I said good football = increase in attendance. It's exactly what took App State from 12,000 students in 2006 to almost 20,000 in 2020.
I'm sure the increasing visibility of the football program has drawn some students but I'd be cautious about chalking all of App's enrollment gains to sports. Western Carolina has an awful football program and they have increased from 8-9k to close to 12k in the same time period.

I suspect App's enrollment gains are more closely related to more people going to college plus being located in a fast growing state.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:14 pm

AppInDC wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:57 pm
APPdiesel wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:43 pm
VNova wrote:
APPdiesel wrote:

I'm sure the increasing visibility of the football program has drawn some students but I'd be cautious about chalking all of App's enrollment gains to sports. Western Carolina has an awful football program and they have increased from 8-9k to close to 12k in the same time period.

I suspect App's enrollment gains are more closely related to more people going to college plus being located in a fast growing state.
I believe that the state has been running a tuition reduction program at Western to induce students to attend. This is anecdotal but several really strong students from the school where my wife teaches ended up attending Western because it's super cheap to go there now.
Your assertion may be correct but I'd be curious to see how the number of applications compare when looking pre-first national championship (or at least pre-Michigan) to after. My perception is that it's much more competitive now as you have more students applying for the limited open slots. An App professor told me that the state has basically mandated that App reach 20,000 students, which we're close to now.
So, the football success may not be the sole, or main driver, to the increase in the total student population (ie the state mandate) but I believe the quality of students that are now attending has strengthened significantly because of the higher number of applicants (football notoriety) and many strong students seem to be increasingly listing App as their first choice. Most of the kids at my wife's school identified App as having a beautiful campus and great football...

yosef13

Unread post by yosef13 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:39 pm

Yep, all of this is connected. NIU is shrinking because the state is shrinking. App and other NC universities are growing because NC is growing.

NC was the 9th largest state in the last census :shock:. If you combine NC and SC we are the 5th largest in the country. NC was 4th in overall increase in population over the past decade, only behind Texas, Florida, and California, with no slow down in slight.

NC will likely be the 5th or 6th most populated state in 10 years. Insane. Most of our universities will struggle to keep up with the demand, and will ultimately become more competitive as a result.

I imagine I will see App at 25k to 30k in my lifetime.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Sun Belt Discussion”