Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Missouri State to the Sun Belt?

Discussion about anything related to the Sun Belt Conference
John-N-Houston
School: Appalachian State

Re: Missouri State to the Sun Belt?

Unread post by John-N-Houston » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:50 pm

hotrod2001 wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:21 pm
I'd think EKU would be in line first. I know they wanted to come to the Sun Belt, and then the Sun Belt passed on them in favor of Coastal, but I think as a response the Colonels have been busy working on their infrastructure to make another go at it.

Just as long as we don't bring in Liberty...
You’re right. If the SB brings in M St., then the league becomes unbalanced, almost dictating that a Sun Belt East team be added. That most likely would be Liberty, which I would not be in favor of.

hotrod2001

Unread post by hotrod2001 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:17 pm

SayYesToTheRock wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:42 pm
hotrod2001 wrote:
I'd think EKU would be in line first. I know they wanted to come to the Sun Belt, and then the Sun Belt passed on them in favor of Coastal, but I think as a response the Colonels have been busy working on their infrastructure to make another go at it.

I seriously doubt Liberty wants to join the Sun Belt, or any G5 conference (sans AAC) at this point. Once they got the waiver to go FBS Independent, Liberty started firmly on the BYU path, which is where they belong. They have plenty of Liberty Online Dollars flowing in to finance the expense of an independent schedule.

Maybe it's nostalgia, but I would have Chattanooga first in line. They add a new state to the Sun Belt, have had solid football, and have a great hoops tradition. Plus, Nooga is a great town we all know and love to visit. For me, they would move the needle more than EKU.
I honestly don't think that LU will be invited to a conference as long as a Falwell is at the helm of that school. No NCAA conference is going to want that lightning rod associated with them even if that school has a $5 billion endowment and 50k in their stands every weekend.

I didn't know that back in '13 apparently the Mocs were asked to come up with us and Stink but they turned it down.

VNova

Unread post by VNova » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:26 pm

hotrod2001 wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:17 pm
SayYesToTheRock wrote:
hotrod2001 wrote:

I seriously doubt Liberty wants to join the Sun Belt, or any G5 conference (sans AAC) at this point. Once they got the waiver to go FBS Independent, Liberty started firmly on the BYU path, which is where they belong. They have plenty of Liberty Online Dollars flowing in to finance the expense of an independent schedule.

Maybe it's nostalgia, but I would have Chattanooga first in line. They add a new state to the Sun Belt, have had solid football, and have a great hoops tradition. Plus, Nooga is a great town we all know and love to visit. For me, they would move the needle more than EKU.
I honestly don't think that LU will be invited to a conference as long as a Falwell is at the helm of that school. No NCAA conference is going to want that lightning rod associated with them even if that school has a $5 billion endowment and 50k in their stands every weekend.

I didn't know that back in '13 apparently the Mocs were asked to come up with us and Stink but they turned it down.

Any reason why they opted not to make the jump? I couldn't find anything with a quick google search.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:53 pm

Liberty tried to get into the Sun Belt (and CUSA) a few years ago, but as Karl Benson said "they didn't have the votes." They offered subsidies to join as well. Benson said a lot of it had to do with their academic profile as they weren't a fit with the other Sun Belt schools (80+ percent online students).

Missouri State people actually floated that Art Briles was being considered as well. I think that was so in comparison, Petrino wouldn't look as bad.

hotrod2001

Unread post by hotrod2001 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:00 am

VNova wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:26 pm
hotrod2001 wrote:
SayYesToTheRock wrote:
hotrod2001 wrote:

Any reason why they opted not to make the jump? I couldn't find anything with a quick google search.
The only statement I found about it was from their AD basically saying they were happy in the SoCon and looked forward to dominating the conference now that the two big dogs were leaving.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:41 am

I'm not of the belief that UTC was invited.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:11 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:39 am
ASUchipman wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:20 am
This is the kinda move you make if you want NCAA sanctions and a completely ruined football program.
Has Pertrino ever brought NCAA sanctions on a program he was in charge of? He was fired at Arkansas for lying to his bosses.
I heard a good Petrino story that came from someone in the building. You guys remember he was dating a girl at Arkansas, right? I laughed hysterically when I heard this part. The original rumor was the picture of him with the beat up face was the he wrecked a motorcycle because he was not wearing a helmet but the woman was not hurt so it did not make sense. It turned out she had a boyfriend and that guy beat the crap out of Petrino. He deserved it. Petrino truly is a scumbag. The one thing he did not do was bring sanctions to his program but he was hell to work with, according to someone I know who was on staff with him.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:13 am

hotrod2001 wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:00 am
VNova wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:26 pm
hotrod2001 wrote:
SayYesToTheRock wrote:
hotrod2001 wrote:

The only statement I found about it was from their AD basically saying they were happy in the SoCon and looked forward to dominating the conference now that the two big dogs were leaving.
Looks like Furman and Wofford have been the most dominant teams in the league. I hope their AD did not say that. I am among those who is not sure I believe they were invited. They don't bring in the revenue nor have enough attendance to come to the league. They do have a great stadium but is sits about 60% empty every week.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:03 pm

hotrod2001 wrote:

Directional state schools make us sound like the MAC (looking at you South Alabama). At least Georgia Southern has some semblance of a brand.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

hotrod2001

Unread post by hotrod2001 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:55 pm

APPdiesel wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:03 pm
hotrod2001 wrote:

Directional state schools make us sound like the MAC (looking at you South Alabama). At least Georgia Southern has some semblance of a brand.
West Virginia, South Carolina, Southern Cal, Northwestern, North Carolina, Central Florida, South Florida, East Carolina, and Southern Miss would like a word with you.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:28 pm

South Carolina, West Virginia, and North Carolina are all states. Southern Cal is one of the biggest brands in college football.

Until about 10 years ago South Florida and 5 years ago Central Florida were dinky directional schools. East Carolina and Southern Miss stink now but at least they had real brand power as recently as the 90s.

I'm talking about the Eastern Michigan, Western Michigan, Central Michigan types. Branding matters.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:19 pm

APPdiesel wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:28 pm
South Carolina, West Virginia, and North Carolina are all states. Southern Cal is one of the biggest brands in college football.

Until about 10 years ago South Florida and 5 years ago Central Florida were dinky directional schools. East Carolina and Southern Miss stink now but at least they had real brand power as recently as the 90s.

I'm talking about the Eastern Michigan, Western Michigan, Central Michigan types. Branding matters.
We could easily be considered a "directional" school. We just don't have a direction in our name.
WE ARE YOSEF!

AppfaninCAALand

Unread post by AppfaninCAALand » Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:55 pm

goapps93 wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:19 pm
APPdiesel wrote:

We could easily be considered a "directional" school. We just don't have a direction in our name.
We are after all THE university of western North Carolina. :D

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:22 am

hotrod2001 wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:55 pm
APPdiesel wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:03 pm
hotrod2001 wrote:

West Virginia, South Carolina, Southern Cal, Northwestern, North Carolina, Central Florida, South Florida, East Carolina, and Southern Miss would like a word with you.
Dude, when the actual state name includes a direction, that isn't being a "directional" school. I do agree with your point though.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:57 am

goapps93 wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:19 pm
APPdiesel wrote:

Our brand at least travels from Nova Scotia to Alabama, and the orogenesis extends to the British Isles and mountain chain in Norway. That is a bit more than claiming a few counties around Greenville. :-)
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Sun Belt Discussion”